DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

IMO as long as Gravel doesn't take itself seriously and acknowledges it's an arcade game, I'm totally fine with it. As for Milestone as a whole, we all must recognize their WRC games were miles ahead of Kylotonn's efforts (which, while still really subpar, are steadily improving every year).
I'd rather play the Evolution Studios' WRC games than the ones that came after. They were so much fun back in the day.

Scyy said:
SamRWD said:
So I am really suprised by the newest footage. IT IS AMAZING! You really can tell physics are changed a lot! Even the way car takes of the start- first wheels spin fighting for grip and THEN car accelerates- shows a great promise. I am trully looking forward to D4 (and I am guilty of loosing my hope after trying Dirt Rally TBH).

@KickUp
As for Hyundai Preorder issue- I simply don't like it. I would understand if we got some free DLC in the future as a reward, but limiting already avaliable and completed asset of this kind only for those who preordered the game is just a bummer. D4 is already limited in car numbers due to Milestone actions. I know it's not you guys responsible for it, but please speak with guys in charge. Community hates this kind of decisions.
Why did dirt rally make you lose hope?
Because I really hoped it will be way more realistic physics wise than it was (even after all the patches). Don't get me wrong- I was one of few people actually standing behind DR on various sim boards, but still I hoped for so much more. D4 seems to be delivering (brake distances were one of main issues with DR, D4 footage shows mindblowing improvement). Cheers!

I don´t know where to write this, maybe here. Did you already saw this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqsSDYYnG9Q

I predict that @Rallycameraman has replayed this video at least 100 times already. 

WRX Supercars 2016*:
- Audi S1 (???)
- Citroën DS3 (your stage trailer)
- Ford Focus RS (your stage trailer)
- Ford Fiesta OMSE (??? was in DR)
- Ford Fiesta Austria (???)
- MINI Countryman (your stage trailer)
- Peugeot 208 (??? was in DR)
- SEAT Ibiza (your stage trailer 0:18)
- VW Polo (??? was in DR)
* note: list only based on WRC 2016 permanent entries

WRX Supercars 2017* additional cars:
- Ford Fiesta M-Sport (??? WRC version was in DR)
- Ford Fiesta START (??? maybe same as Team Austria version)
- KIA Rio (???)
- VW Polo 2017 (??? I think it might be different looked Polo than the 2016 version)
* nore: only different cars (from permanent teams) compared to 2016

Missing from lists from DiRT Rally:
- Subaru WRX STi

The Team Austria cars were in DR: though they were liveries applied to the OMSE cars rather than different models. Ditto for the Hansen and Albatec Peugeot 208's which were all liveries applied to the same model. 

They have already stated that the rallycross cars in DiRT 4 are based on those from the 2016 season, so I wouldn't expect to see the M-Sport or STARD Fiestas. 

The last time that the Audi S1 was mentioned there was still a license issue preventing it's inclusion. I have my fingers crossed that the official Audi sponsorship for EKS might allow the licensing issue to be overcome, but I suspect that might be wishful thinking!

tbtstt said:
The last time that the Audi S1 was mentioned there was still a license issue preventing it's inclusion. I have my fingers crossed that the official Audi sponsorship for EKS might allow the licensing issue to be overcome, but I suspect that might be wishful thinking!
One of my fav but I don't have high hopes to see it. One thing sure is we'll not get the A1. Hopefully it's just a sponsor issue rather than manufacturer but it's not looking good for the S1: https://twitter.com/Kick_Up/status/837232818036092929

Well, it's PRC.Net, but ( imo ) this time he's right about Gravel.

https://pretendracecars.net/2017/03/02/milestones-new-ip-is-basically-a-portion-of-forza-horizon-3/

Alf72 said:

https://pretendracecars.net/2017/03/02/milestones-new-ip-is-basically-a-portion-of-forza-horizon-3/

I used to frequent PRC until their articles became pure moaning about iRacing and AC and Project Cars. Their opinion articles on every other racing game are pretty enjoyable though.

Alf72 said:

I used to frequent PRC until their articles became pure moaning about iRacing and AC and Project Cars. Their opinion articles on every other racing game are pretty enjoyable though.
Ehh, yeah that's kind of true. The comments section also sucks cause of butthurts. I've never cared about iRacing, AC never seems to actually work properly and the devs suck, and PCars isn't the most realistic, but is the most stable for me.
Still, it can be fun to what new info pops up from time to time.

SamRWD said:
Scyy said:
SamRWD said:
So I am really suprised by the newest footage. IT IS AMAZING! You really can tell physics are changed a lot! Even the way car takes of the start- first wheels spin fighting for grip and THEN car accelerates- shows a great promise. I am trully looking forward to D4 (and I am guilty of loosing my hope after trying Dirt Rally TBH).

@KickUp
As for Hyundai Preorder issue- I simply don't like it. I would understand if we got some free DLC in the future as a reward, but limiting already avaliable and completed asset of this kind only for those who preordered the game is just a bummer. D4 is already limited in car numbers due to Milestone actions. I know it's not you guys responsible for it, but please speak with guys in charge. Community hates this kind of decisions.
Why did dirt rally make you lose hope?
Because I really hoped it will be way more realistic physics wise than it was (even after all the patches). Don't get me wrong- I was one of few people actually standing behind DR on various sim boards, but still I hoped for so much more. D4 seems to be delivering (brake distances were one of main issues with DR, D4 footage shows mindblowing improvement). Cheers!
I see, I more looked at it in the sense of yes there can still be lots of improvements but in comparison to all previous dirt games it was still leaps and bounds better and a clear step in the right direction. If d4 lives up to the hype this is going to be amazing for rally games.

Actually the most interesting thing about the article is the mention that BAJA Edge of Control HD is being remastered for current consoles. Huh.

Not sure how well that game has aged. At all.
Nor did I know THQ was still around.

tbtstt said:
I don´t know where to write this, maybe here. Did you already saw this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqsSDYYnG9Q

I predict that @Rallycameraman has replayed this video at least 100 times already. 
I damn near booked flights to France!

Its a shame they put music on that video. That 11000rpm engine is music enough!

Actually the most interesting thing about the article is the mention that BAJA Edge of Control HD is being remastered for current consoles. Huh.

Not sure how well that game has aged. At all.
Nor did I know THQ was still around.
Same here. I thought THQ died near the release of the 360 and ps3.
Edit*
Apparently they did die around 4 years ago. For some reason an Austrian company took/bought/acquired the name from the (Apparently) now dead American company. When THQ died they held an auction for their property and Nordic also bought some of their IPs. Interesting.
http://kotaku.com/thq-is-back-from-the-dead-sort-of-1785205582

One of the whichever companies renamed themselves to THQ after acquiring all their stuff. Not sure why... :D Nordic Games to THQ Nordic .. -shrug-

Not to get too off-topic, but I watched this today to get hyped for Michigan, I figured I'd share it with you guys as well:

zissakos1 said:
@KickUp
I think this hasn't been asked yet:

Is the video material we have seen so far considered final graphical quality or is there constant improvement going on?
How about things like draw distance, vegetation density, track details etc. is this still being worked on?
Has it been improved from Dirt Rally? (I read about lighting being improved)

I once read a paper about how Codemasters managed to improve grass rendering for Grid Autosport and was very impressed..  :-)
Still such magic going on?

We have a whole heap of improvements to make but there are also optimisations that will ensure the best possible performance. As a result I think it will look a bit better but we can't push things too hard or the performance will get affected. 

@KickUp 

hello

what about wheels compatibilty?

will older wheels like g27  and  driving force gt work on dirt 4???  thanks

Recording DR seems to be bad generally, i've used AMD re-live as well as their previous version and also another encoder, i get them trying to be 'smart' and i get pixalisation everywhere.

You can see this a lot in many of the videos online right now of D4, it mainly affects the oncoming road texture.

zissakos1 said:
wow that was fast!!!! Thanks @KickUp

I just read a very interesting article on PRC:
https://pretendracecars.net/2017/02/09/we-need-ghost-drivers-at-press-events/

What is your opinion on this issue/ the proposal?

I kind of had the same feeling in the last few weeks both because of the driving, but also because of the (imho bad) visual quality of these videos.
I am wondering why don't publishers/studios just record a small video (say a short track 3-5min) with good quality and upload it somewhere so people can download it and watch it (you know, 1080p60, max details). I feel sites like youtube with their compression just don't do the games justice, after developers have worked hard to squeeze any graphical quality out of their rendering engines...

I'd like our game to be better showcased but I'd much rather we let journalists do what works for them when they come to these events. The events themselves are noisy, busy and short and their time with the game is limited, yet they are expected to put an article / video together showcasing the game. 
If we started telling the journalists how to drive or what to put in their reports then it would compromise their integrity. In the example cited in that article those journalists seem to have compromised themselves in an effort to put something out quickly but ultimately that was there choice to publish that footage. 

I'll happily do a run for a journalist if they want some B-Roll footage recorded and recorded have done it many many times in the past but I was so busy at that event that I didn't get a chance to showcase the game. 

Recording DR seems to be bad generally, i've used AMD re-live as well as their previous version and also another encoder, i get them trying to be 'smart' and i get pixalisation everywhere.

You can see this a lot in many of the videos online right now of D4, it mainly affects the oncoming road texture.
Recording videos from DR using AMD card is a bad idea, 'thanks' to a nasty graphic bug on AMD cards with DR. I hope it won't be the same with D4.

@KickUp I'd rather to watch a good clean run than a footage from journalist who crashes all the time.

Recording videos from DR using AMD card is a bad idea, 'thanks' to a nasty graphic bug on AMD cards with DR. I hope it won't be the same with D4.

@KickUp I'd rather to watch a good clean run than a footage from journalist who crashes all the time.
Agreed, but i'm not talking about that bug, which i don't really suffer from, i'm talking about bitrate of the output, it's terrible in places/patches in the picture.

Agreed, but i'm not talking about that bug, which i don't really suffer from, i'm talking about bitrate of the output, it's terrible in places/patches in the picture.
It depends on which program you're using to record. Yeah, I'm aware that Shadowplay have this issue with DR as well. Something like Fraps or Bandicam with Lagarith Lossless Codec should maintain stable video bitrate, but you need a decent hardware and plenty of free space on your HDD.

I think MadMaxx by patches means the hardware x264 encoder's "Motion Detection" failing and it usually takes above 15mbit to make it not show up in recordings. The highest resolution my R9 280X can record a 2000 Kbit video at is 854x480 without blurring, mostly. :D 720P for me would need like 10 000 kbits already, and even that's only if i use a cockpit cam, where a part of the screen is static, unlike Chase cam which is straight up impossible.

Always noticeably higher than what software x264 would need for most hardware encoding options. 

Also, what AMD / DR Bug? I've been partially out of the loop on AMD bugs.