DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Snaky115 said:
I think MadMaxx by patches means the hardware x264 encoder's "Motion Detection" failing and it usually takes above 15mbit to make it not show up in recordings. The highest resolution my R9 280X can record a 2000 Kbit video at is 854x480 without blurring, mostly. :D 720P for me would need like 10 000 kbits already, and even that's only if i use a cockpit cam, where a part of the screen is static, unlike Chase cam which is straight up impossible.

Always noticeably higher than what software x264 would need for most hardware encoding options. 

Also, what AMD / DR Bug? I've been partially out of the loop on AMD bugs.

From what I remember, the missing ground textures was an issue (the massive black holes in some stages). That, along with soft lock, never worked right for me.

Yes, the motion detection failing, it looks really bad, however i'm using the highest setting of 50mb/sec and it still does it :(  All hardware too.

@KickUp why do you ignore my questions yet sometimes answer others instantly? Or at least acknowledged they made a post with questions? 

Snaky115 said:

Dots on vegetation, mostly trees. It's really noticeable.
Example: 
http://i.imgur.com/sfmPavC.jpg

I have AMD HD6950 on my second PC config, and I have same issue with this card. Trees look horrible in motion.

I still want to see proper crashes and damage modeling in D4. With the crashes we've seen so far they've been nowhere near as visceral as D2.

Snaky115 said:

Dots on vegetation, mostly trees. It's really noticeable.
Example: http://i.imgur.com/sfmPavC.jpg

I have AMD HD6950 on my second PC config, and I have same issue with this card. Trees look horrible in motion.
Ah right, the way vegetation looks in some games without Anti-Aliasing. I really haven't had a chance to use a modern Nvidia card yet, so i haven't had a chance to personally confirm its AMD only. Any level of MSAA should start hiding that effect. 

Yeah.. those dots are AMD only related. This issue is seen in various titles (different gfx engines) and AFAIK it refers to blending transparent objects in conjunction with AA.

Snaky115 said:
Ah right, the way vegetation looks in some games without Anti-Aliasing. I really haven't had a chance to use a modern Nvidia card yet, so i haven't had a chance to personally confirm its AMD only. Any level of MSAA should start hiding that effect. 
It doesn't hide this 'effect' completely. And it does look normal on Nvidia cards. I'm not an AMD hater, never was a fan of any particular vendor. But I just don't want to return on their cards because of various graphic glitches/bugs (small ones, but annoying as hell) which can't be fixed by game developers and drivers.

KickUp said:
zissakos1 said:
@KickUp
I think this hasn't been asked yet:

Is the video material we have seen so far considered final graphical quality or is there constant improvement going on?
How about things like draw distance, vegetation density, track details etc. is this still being worked on?
Has it been improved from Dirt Rally? (I read about lighting being improved)

I once read a paper about how Codemasters managed to improve grass rendering for Grid Autosport and was very impressed..  :-)
Still such magic going on?

We have a whole heap of improvements to make but there are also optimisations that will ensure the best possible performance. As a result I think it will look a bit better but we can't push things too hard or the performance will get affected. 
@KickUp will motion blur be removed ? last time it was tied in.it is the evil in video games.

Agreed, but i'm not talking about that bug, which i don't really suffer from, i'm talking about bitrate of the output, it's terrible in places/patches in the picture.
It depends on which program you're using to record. Yeah, I'm aware that Shadowplay have this issue with DR as well. Something like Fraps or Bandicam with Lagarith Lossless Codec should maintain stable video bitrate, but you need a decent hardware and plenty of free space on your HDD.
i dont mind doing it i record daily ;) max quality no issue or high fps. :)

Now that the Your Stage tech is developed, maybe there is a slight chance of locations as Monte and Germany will make a return in the future. They have all the assets from DR to use for these locations.

One can dream eh ;)

bogani said:
Now that the Your Stage tech is developed, maybe there is a slight chance of locations as Monte and Germany will make a return in the future. They have all the assets from DR to use for these locations.

One can dream eh ;)
As much as I loved both Monte and Germany in DR, I'd rather go for some new locations: Indonesia, New Zealand, Safari rally, Ireland, Sardinia....the list could go on forever XD 

i loved the look of germany in dirt rally but the tarmac handling put me off playing it as much as i wanted.ireland would be cool so would new zealand. no one ever wants Japan though :'(

AnegloPlz said:
bogani said:

One can dream eh ;)
As much as I loved both Monte and Germany in DR, I'd rather go for some new locations: Indonesia, New Zealand, Safari rally, Ireland, Sardinia....the list could go on forever XD 
My point was that it would require the least amount of work from the devs as they already have the assets laying around.

I would also love totally new locations ofc :)

I have been thinking of that too. Considering they make a large envoronment and then place the tiles to create a stage in it. I don't think it would be too farfetched to maybe convert one of the environments they used in landrush to make a your stage setting. We kinda need a desert type rally. So I wouldn't mind a Mexico location or a Nevada location. Those RBR stages in Nevada were really fun.

I know it's all a work in progress at present, but Rallycross car behaviour looks more impressive at the minute, than what Rally does.  The vehicle weight & suspension travel is bang on with RX

bogani said:
AnegloPlz said:
bogani said:

One can dream eh ;)
My point was that it would require the least amount of work from the devs as they already have the assets laying around.

If we'd have to visit Germany again I'd much more prefer to drive on the wine yards rather than the panzerplazze.

bogani said:
AnegloPlz said:
bogani said:

One can dream eh ;)

I feel ya, but I admittedly always been a sucker of New Zealand and Indonesia in CMR Rally, so I'm really really hoping to see them back in Dirt 4, and I guess the CM guys would rather work for a new scenery DLC rather than "upgrading" the old assets of DR to fit in for your stage. I mean, in Dirt 4 there are three brand new scenarios vs. Two old ones from DR, so I mathematically win XD

KevM said:
I know it's all a work in progress at present, but Rallycross car behaviour looks more impressive at the minute, than what Rally does.  The vehicle weight & suspension travel is bang on with RX
Possibly just the clips we've seen, but I think the cars behavior in the air looks more natural in general. The changes in rallycross car handling were the most noticeable difference on the day when we saw the game last year and I'm sure they have been further refined at this point. 

Something that I haven't seen discussed as much is the landrush vehicles: all the RWD options felt like a real handful and I think they'll be a good challenge for those opting for the more realistic handling option.

The main thing improved for me was the tarmac physics and the tarmac to dirt transition, the car behaved much more naturally and I'd say they've got it all spot on. Cannot wait! Also yeah the suspension travel is great, going over a high rumble strip in DR could be a bit dodgy but when I tried D4 it was so smooth.

Can't wait to hoon Bakkerud's Focus!

The main thing improved for me was the tarmac physics and the tarmac to dirt transition, the car behaved much more naturally and I'd say they've got it all spot on. Cannot wait! Also yeah the suspension travel is great, going over a high rumble strip in DR could be a bit dodgy but when I tried D4 it was so smooth.

I was completing the Xbox @RallyDriven league runs last night, it was 70's class in Greece.  
One of the Greek stages (im crap with names), starts off with a down-hill over bumps into a hairpin right (with a white NI reg'd Jeep on the slip-road).

Both on the league run and a 2001 Subaru daily last week, the bumps literally threw me off the road due to the DR fly-away's.  

If the guys have nailed that weightlessness, then I feel a lot of the other issues might actually settle and improve.

KevM said:

I was completing the Xbox @RallyDriven league runs last night, it was 70's class in Greece.  
One of the Greek stages (im crap with names), starts off with a down-hill over bumps into a hairpin right (with a white NI reg'd Jeep on the slip-road).

Both on the league run and a 2001 Subaru daily last week, the bumps literally threw me off the road due to the DR fly-away's.  

If the guys have nailed that weightlessness, then I feel a lot of the other issues might actually settle and improve.
I know exactly which bit you mean and I really do have to break hard on that section and take it carefully or I will go either up the side of the hill or way to fast into the hairpin due to the bouncy bouncy and lack of contact with the road. I don't remember any harsh examples like that when I tried D4 but going over some crests, it was most definitely less spaceship and more planted. It was the big main issue I had with the handling along with the cars reacting too fast and both of these seem to have been fixed now

Going airborne in dirt 4 did feel a lot better. The cars felt heavy in the air, and didn't fly to the moon. That in addition to better edges of the road that no longer catapult you into the sky make the game a whole lot better!

Going airborne in dirt 4 did feel a lot better. The cars felt heavy in the air, and didn't fly to the moon. That in addition to better edges of the road that no longer catapult you into the sky make the game a whole lot better!
So no more travels to the moon when something (usually my driving) goes wrong? I'll miss a bit that horrible sensation of taking off straight into a tree haha

carpa said:
So no more travels to the moon when something (usually my driving) goes wrong? I'll miss a bit that horrible sensation of taking off straight into a tree haha
Don't worry. Plenty of trees will still be hit ;)