DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Those of you thinking they staged the number plate should watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rkw_N9pNms

Snaky115 said:
The plate is not a fake as far as i am concerned, as its first officially registered in the UK in 1991, far before Clarkson's Top Gear started.
Sigh.
I am probably more confused by the arguments all sides throw, apart from that Clarkson, even for his monkey brain, wouldn't do things that would harm the rest of the video crew.
I have seen clips about the history of the car/plate before @F2CMaDMaXX. I certainly don't disagree that the plate was real @Snaky115 (I don't think the BBC would go to the lengths of paying the DVLA to falsify records!), but I don't believe that the selection of the car was accidental. As I said in my previous post the trio had a history of making jokes with number plates and, with the knowledge of history that I know both Clarkson and May possess, I find it very, very, hard to believe that neither of them made the connection. Having said that...
KevM said:
tbtstt said:
JZStudios said:
Argentina isn't British, Argentinians hate the British. They tried to take The Falkland Islands of us, and our troops travelled halfway round the world to take them back
Some Argentines hate the British. I, for one, love the British! Also the Falklands are all yours xoxo
Yeah, but the few hateful Argentinians ruin it for everybody. We've all seen how well Top Gear's Peace Keeping soccer trip went, due to a random number on the license plate.
DiRTy Thread Off Topic: There is no way in a million years that was a random number plate! They had done multiple number plate gags in Top Gear prior to the Argentina trip yet they expect us to believe that they just happened to pick a car that had that number plate? Sorry, but that is far too much of a coincidence for me...

...the local reaction was perhaps excessive, but it was only by a minority: I certainly wouldn't make a generalization on Argentina because of that. 
I reckon the whole thing was staged for television purposes.  The American road trip was far too similar in its attack from locals
...I think they underestimated how violent the reaction was from the locals @KevM. Those Americans looked annoyed, but not a patch on the Argentinians. Still, did them a favour really as, aside from the attack, I found it one of the least interesting Top Gear specials!

@dwkGravey Thank you for clarifying that one out! Roughly simulation speaking and especially in rallying, DiRT has really brought feminine existence about.

tbtstt said:
As I said in my previous post the trio had a history of making jokes with number plates and, with the knowledge of history that I know both Clarkson and May possess, I find it very, very, hard to believe that neither of them made the connection. Having said that...
They did make a lot of jokes on the number plates, but those were always improvised, not scripted. Top Gear does a lot of scripting, but any number plate jokes they made was not scripted, they all been pure coincidence.
Also I still can't understand how some people made a connection between a number plate of "H982 FKL" and the Falkland war. First of all, when you're giving a year, it's either full date or just the tenths, aka either 1982 or '82. You don't do "982", so that automatically implies it's not a date. That sounds more like a number of a submarine or something.
And then there's the "FKL" part. If I was to shorten "Falkland" into 3 letters, it would definitely be "FLK", not "FKL" as that sounds more like "F**k lands" rather than "Falkland".
The problem is not in whether the guys looked for some number plate that relates to that war, but more on the fact that there's a bunch of Argentinians that see the Falkland war on everywhere that is British related. I wouldn't be surprised if they found DiRT to be an insult to them, because it's made by a British company...

But let's stop beating a dead horse and move on. So I'll jump on the rally argentina screenshots bandwagon xD

JZStudios said:
Argentina isn't British, Argentinians hate the British. They tried to take The Falkland Islands of us, and our troops travelled halfway round the world to take them back
Some Argentines hate the British. I, for one, love the British! Also the Falklands are all yours xoxo
Yeah, but the few hateful Argentinians ruin it for everybody. We've all seen how well Top Gear's Peace Keeping soccer trip went, due to a random number on the license plate.
I still think Soccer would've been bad anyways, seems to me like riots after matches are pretty common... so the boys would've had to lose.
That embarrassed me beyond belief. It's one of the reasons I so strongly make it clear I'm not one of them.

tbtstt said:
As I said in my previous post the trio had a history of making jokes with number plates and, with the knowledge of history that I know both Clarkson and May possess, I find it very, very, hard to believe that neither of them made the connection. Having said that...
They did make a lot of jokes on the number plates, but those were always improvised, not scripted. Top Gear does a lot of scripting, but any number plate jokes they made was not scripted, they all been pure coincidence.
Also I still can't understand how some people made a connection between a number plate of "H982 FKL" and the Falkland war. First of all, when you're giving a year, it's either full date or just the tenths, aka either 1982 or '82. You don't do "982", so that automatically implies it's not a date. That sounds more like a number of a submarine or something.
And then there's the "FKL" part. If I was to shorten "Falkland" into 3 letters, it would definitely be "FLK", not "FKL" as that sounds more like "F**k lands" rather than "Falkland".
The problem is not in whether the guys looked for some number plate that relates to that war, but more on the fact that there's a bunch of Argentinians that see the Falkland war on everywhere that is British related. I wouldn't be surprised if they found DiRT to be an insult to them, because it's made by a British company...

But let's stop beating a dead horse and move on. So I'll jump on the rally argentina screenshots bandwagon xD

By pummeling a horse instead! Yay!

JZStudios said:
I still think Soccer would've been bad anyways, seems to me like riots after matches are pretty common... so the boys would've had to lose.
That embarrassed me beyond belief. It's one of the reasons I so strongly make it clear I'm not one of them.
It's the few idiots who ruin it for everybody.
As a completely off topic example, we've been flying RC planes and drones for years. Recently DJI and some other Chinese companies started making them so cheap and effective that any idiot with a few hundred dollars could buy one. In turn, a lot of stupid people with money to burn snooped with cameras, flew where they shouldn't have (Private property, government facilities, AIRPORTS, etc...) So now the FAA got all prissy and mandated that every drone/plane/flying whatever needs to be tagged, and imposed all sorts of restrictions where they weren't needed before.
The few idiots ruined it for everybody.
It'd be like if a bunch of idiots decided they wanted to start rallying with no experience and just crashed left, right, and center racing through the middle of town, airports, government facilities, etc... and as a result rallying became even more restrictive than it is now and even harder to start into.

By pummeling a horse instead! Yay!
Hey, it was the first thing that popped out on google images when I typed "rally argentina". What was I supposed to do, ignore it and post a normal screenshot with epic looking scenery? xD

JZStudios said:
JZStudios said:
It's the few idiots who ruin it for everybody.

Yep, that's true in life everywhere.

Argentina is a beautiful country, top gear did show a lot of the scenery in that show and it was amazing! Hope it stays in the wrc for a while, it's one of the most picturesque rallies in the calendar. 

dwkGravey said:
Is that a left rear puncture?               

That crash was spectacular, and also good reference!

Any chance to elaborate on the improvements to the tarmac tire model? :smile: @KickUp

tbtstt said:

We'll have to agree to disagree there @RyuMakkuro. As you say though...

...enough of that: now back to the DiRTy Gossip! 

tbtstt said:
 ...enough of that: now back to the DiRTy Gossip! 

Damn straight.

We just need something to gossip about.

Something random like;

A) How many nationalities of car manufacturers will be in the game?

B ) Will/should cars be balanced against each other in class or should they have performance differences (eg, should a 6R4 be competitive with a 205, a 2001 Focus with a 2007 one?)

C) How many cars will be in each class?

D) Will there be a Road Book for the remaining 13 weeks?

E) Should I go to Rally Germany or Rally Zlin this year? They're on subsequent weekends and I can only realistically do one.

B ) Will/should cars be balanced against each other in class or should they have performance differences (eg, should a 6R4 be competitive with a 205, a 2001 Focus with a 2007 one?)
I'm going to say no. I would personally like the cars to reflect their real life equivalents. I know that is going to result in leaderboards dominated by one or maybe two cars, but I would like the cars to be as true to reality as possible. Even if that does mean they are a bit slower than their rivals. 

E) Should I go to Rally Germany or Rally Zlin this year? They're on subsequent weekends and I can only realistically do one.
I'm going to say Rally Germany. Based on what we saw in Monte, I think the 2017 WRCars are going to be bonkers to watch on German tarmac: I think it would be worth being there for that!

tbtstt said:
I'm going to say no. I would personally like the cars to reflect their real life equivalents. I know that is going to result in leaderboards dominated by one or maybe two cars, but I would like the cars to be as true to reality as possible. Even if that does mean they are a bit slower than their rivals. 

I'm inclined to agree with you. Would like to see that replicated in the AI performance too, if that's possible. So Stratos' would be competitive on tarmac but less so on gravel.

The only option I see is if the cars would have performance indexes and that you could essentially add ballast to cars to even them out when running private leagues?

I want it to stay authentic, but it would be cool to have the option.

tbtstt said:

We suppose that your reasoning is based upon a pure "coincidence" and the number plate says either "F***kLands" or "FalkLands" that are both abbreviated to fit the number plate's numerals as FKL.. Let us suppose that Clarkson, with his absurd sense of humour, chose the car with a number plate and not the number plate on a car then we would ignore the car completely... He chose the car anyways with a V8 engine for the V8 series for film making purposes, but why did they head exactly to Patagonia where there are the Falklands and Argentina with such obvious FKL number plate? Seriously, man, use your logic. There are no coincidences when we reason with logic. Clarkson's sense of humour is not coincidental as well. 

We do not look to kindle disputes or to accuse the trio or the Falklands war that occured in '82 or even the Brits and the Argentines, but Clarkson is being a pillock with his sense of humour when it is in reality his sense of humour and his attempts to delude people that it is actually real.

And I apologise for going off-topic. Let's head back to to the main thread's objective.

This is probably too early to ask since its not out yet but does anyone think they will still play DR when D4 is out? I think initially I may do due to VR support is already in DR but the physics in will be hard to adapt back to from D4 I imagine.

This is probably too early to ask since its not out yet but does anyone think they will still play DR when D4 is out? I think initially I may do due to VR support is already in DR but the physics in will be hard to adapt back to from D4 I imagine.
Well, I still sometimes do a race or two in DiRT3, and recently even started the career in Colin McRae Rally 2005

This is probably too early to ask since its not out yet but does anyone think they will still play DR when D4 is out? 
If D4 will be everything that @KickUp says it's gonna be, honestly... nope. I only see me going back to DR in a couple of years, or more, when i will get tired of D4 :p 

I still occasionally play DiRT 2 and 3 (and even Showdown from time to time) when I want more 'arcade' gameplay instead of the intense sensation DiRT Rally offers, and for diversion in tracks. With DiRT 4 offering "Your Stage" the latter reason isn't that relevant anymore, except if I want a totally different location like Monaco.

But as long as DiRT 4 doesn't support VR I think I'll be playing DiRT Rally regularly.

Edit:
tbtstt said:
I'm sure I will fire DR up again to revisit Pikes Peak and certain rally stages though. 
Right, Pikes Peak of course.