DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

urgaffel said:
50Gb is roughly what you can fit on bluRay so it makes sense that most games are around that size these days. Painful when you buy things digitally though... :(
Sadly, there are very few countries (less so these days) that care about that size of digital, Australia, because they live in a Baron wasteland, and the UK, because draconian private companies giving decent speeds to only the highest population densities :(

Man, just upgraded to a 1070 and my triple screens are great (even with FH3) I average about 70fps, now it sounds like I will be upgrading again... @kickup better make room at your house, cuz my wife is going to kick me out AND ITS ALL YOUR FAULT.   :smiley:

urgaffel said:
50Gb is roughly what you can fit on bluRay so it makes sense that most games are around that size these days. Painful when you buy things digitally though... :(
My DSL is looking forward to downloading Dirt 4.

urgaffel said:
Sadly, there are very few countries (less so these days) that care about that size of digital, Australia, because they live in a Baron wasteland, and the UK, because draconian private companies giving decent speeds to only the highest population densities :(
Baron wasteland? Sir, I take offense to that remark! Besides, I have good internet speed here in Australia and could download a 50Gb Digital Dirt 4 in 65 minutes (at peak speed). That's not too shaby in my opinion.

I just dont want developers to limit the size of game content because they are worried about download size and the limit of BluRay cappacity. Downloads finish eventually and another BluRay in the box isnt going to hurt anyone, surely?

Hard Drives are so massive and cheap these days :)

Rygar86 said:
...I have good internet speed here in Australia and could download a 50Gb Digital Dirt 4 in 65 minutes (at peak speed)...
 :o Downloading D4 is going to be an all-day affair for me.

BadD0g said:
Rygar86 said:
...I have good internet speed here in Australia and could download a 50Gb Digital Dirt 4 in 65 minutes (at peak speed)...
Thats rough :( But on the upside, you can have a Dirt Rally marathon while you wait ;)

Here's a horrible thought: Dial up would literally take over 10 days!

Rygar86 said:
BadD0g said:
Rygar86 said:
Thats rough :( But on the upside, you can have a Dirt Rally marathon while you wait ;)
Whenever I try to play games when downloading via Steam, I get horrible stutters. I'm guessing this is due to the game actually installing while downloading - so (at least for me) this wouldn't be an option. :(

Rygar86 said:
BadD0g said:
Rygar86 said:
Whenever I try to play games when downloading via Steam, I get horrible stutters. I'm guessing this is due to the game actually installing while downloading - so (at least for me) this wouldn't be an option. :(
Probably your hard drive speed is having troubles keeping up.

I'm on 10Mb/s DSL as well so 50GB is actually a night and a few hours at the morning so the hardest part is waiting....

P.S. You guys also forget that Steam has a superb compression when it comes to downloads and updates.
Unlike Uplay which serves you completely uncompressed files (seen that some time ago when I was updating R6 with my friends - mine on Steam, theirs on Uplay).

urgaffel said:
Half an hour or so and it should be downloaded :D 

edgenz said:
cgiugu said:
Dirt4 requirements:
http://www.game-debate.com/news/22580/official-dirt-4-system-requirements-revealed

Whoah! GTX980 recommend...

Might have to turn a few details down on my RX480 then...
lol - sadness. The RX480 is the card I'm considering for a budget upgrade from my HD7950 :(
The RX480 isn't that far off from the GTX980, the 980 is maybe 10-15% faster overall (for now)

BadD0g said:
Rygar86 said:
If we're lucky they might offer preloading on steam.

From recent article:
It’s also more open to newcomers. “DiRT Rally was unforgiving,” Coleman admits. “We knew it was tough but we embraced that level of difficulty and went all in without compromise. For DiRT 4 we want more people to be able to play and enjoy the game.”

Unforgiving? Really? I really hate such PR bullshits.

MaXyMsrpl said:
From recent article:
It’s also more open to newcomers. “DiRT Rally was unforgiving,” Coleman admits. “We knew it was tough but we embraced that level of difficulty and went all in without compromise. For DiRT 4 we want more people to be able to play and enjoy the game.”

Unforgiving? Really? I really hate such PR bullshits.

What makes you think this is PR? We have some very clear data that has shown us that many players were put off by the challenge of DiRT Rally.

What else if not PR?
D:R is far from unforgiving (comparing to real life), giving opportunity to exploit it in non-realistic manner.
The fact, players cannot manage a car doesn't mean that game is unforgiving. It does mean it's too hard or/and not suitable for some of them. But in fact DR forgives a lot.

MaXyMsrpl said:
What else if not PR?
D:R is far from unforgiving (comparing to real life), giving opportunity to exploit it in non-realistic manner.
The fact, players cannot manage a car doesn't mean that game is unforgiving. It does mean it's too hard or/and not suitable for some of them. But in fact DR forgives a lot.
I'd say that the way we expected players to get to grips with the game was unforgiving. Getting thrown into a rally stage with very little guidance was a significant barrier to entry for many players, especially those whose only experiences had come from previous DiRT games.

I agree that if you have first hand experience of crashing in rally then DR forgives but from a game design persepctive we wanted to encourage players to keep driving rather than restarting the stage or quitting.

On that @KickUp, can you choose to ramp up damage to sim-level, or will it still be preset in severity?

With DR, you could do a million mph through a forest as a head-on with a tree caused a minor radiator leak.  Single stages are one thing, but an actual full Rally is as much a test of endurance and mechanical sympathy is it is about speed.

To finish first, first you have to finish...

I would assume it will deped on the difficoulty level you choose. 

But I have a different question @KickUp many rallygames are very geared towards the player having to win every single rally to progress. Dirt Rally fixed that problem somewhat since you won money even if you didn't win. Is DiRT4 continuing in that same direction? I think not striving to get first can really help with the mentality of the players in the long run.

But I have a different question @KickUp many rallygames are very geared towards the player having to win every single rally to progress. Dirt Rally fixed that problem somewhat since you won money even if you didn't win. Is DiRT4 continuing in that same direction? I think not striving to get first can really help with the mentality of the players in the long run.

Yes I loved the more 'old skool' approach to the career mode in DiRT Rally.
I remember playing NFS 4 (High Stakes) as a kid. No restarts, you had to pay for repairs, you could run out of money, you could loose (or win) a car with certain races. That way it was more about making sure you finish without wrecking your car, and getting better step by step, until you're good enough for the next difficulty level/championship. 

Damage does not change with difficulty but the damage is more likely to be event ending if you have a big impact.

With regards to the AI difficulty you will be able to find a challenge more appropriate to your skill.

I'm curious, you guys still getting planked on download charges/limits?
Were you referring to my post? If so: In Australia atm there are many options and plenty of isp's that offer unlimited plans for reasonable prices. Some people still choose limited plans I guess, but I I think that's nuts in this day and age and so my plan is unlimited.

MaXyMsrpl said:
MaXyMsrpl said:
D:R uses 45GB disk space. So, 50 doesn't seem much.
Mine uses 39gb.
I'm curious then about the difference reasons.

1. Mods
2. Logs/Dumps
3. Post update old redundant files. 

Rygar86 said:
I'm curious, you guys still getting planked on download charges/limits?
Were you referring to my post? If so: In Australia atm there are many options and plenty of isp's that offer unlimited plans for reasonable prices. Some people still choose limited plans I guess, but I I think that's nuts in this day and age and so my plan is unlimited.
I remember when as a family we had a 1GB a month limit, seems so tiny now!