F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Operator1 said:

edgenz said:
KickUp said:
I would assume it will deped on the difficoulty level you choose. 

But I have a different question @KickUp many rallygames are very geared towards the player having to win every single rally to progress. Dirt Rally fixed that problem somewhat since you won money even if you didn't win. Is DiRT4 continuing in that same direction? I think not striving to get first can really help with the mentality of the players in the long run.

With regards to the AI difficulty you will be able to find a challenge more appropriate to your skill.

I really really agree with KingOfCoins here. One of the reasons I've invested so much into DR is that it was unforgiving - very very difficult to beat the top AI times, but i could still progress without winning. It trained me into getting over my need to win everything and taught me how to just enjoy the journey of improving - and when I saw improvement it was insanely satisfying.

Is the handling mode and the AI difficulty separate options? 
And are AI times still spread out in the earlier events and tighter in the later events like in DR, or am I going to find it much easier to beat the top AI times early on in D4?

I have similar feelings on that subject. I don't mind "losing" in video games. It's penalties for losing that annoy me - specifically: the inability to progress & experience the game in its entirety.

Many games have much of their content & experience "locked" (for lack of a better word) behind requirements for winning, and I simply can't always win (or I don't have all the time needed to win as many levels/events as games require to progress). It bugs me when games show off & sell a bunch of content that many customers may never get to experience simply because they can't "git gud" enough (or devote endless amounts of time) for that content to become available to them in-game.

For example: some car/motorsport games advertise huge rosters of exotic cars to drive - but they don't tell you that those cars cost more in-game currency than you could ever hope to earn, and you may only get access to 20% (or less) of all those advertised cars (unless you grind away for the next 97 years of your life just to save up enough in-game currency to buy/unlock all those cars).

I'm assuming you're talking about Forza and GT, since PC "sims" max out around 30 cars. And I'm pretty sure both of those games let you "borrow" cars. And I know Forza doesn't require you getting first to progress, along with being able to select your difficulty. Forza is also fairly quick to earn some cash. In a night of turning hot laps I managed to get about 1.5 million fun bucks.

789ifyz said:
Then again, we were still using an old box TV until about 2-3 years ago, so it may just be that we're just really late to the 21st century...
My mum finally got her first LCD TV just a week ago and that's only because the 30" Thomson (big box, but great image) she'd been using went bust. One thing is certain though... it's much easier to read the score on matches now xD On that old Thomson you had to take a magnifying glass to figure out if it's 6, 8 or 9 xD

BadD0g said:
Agreed. The "competetive season" format in DR is much closer to what actual racing is like. You're not going to win every event you compete in throughout your entire career, so when games have a "first or nothing" system in their career mode it doesn't really make sense. That's one of the reasons I was never able to get into Xpand Rally. I liked the rest of the game, but you reach a progression wall if you don't place first in enough events.

That's one of the reason why I also love the totally underrated GRID : Autosport. You could still progress without winning, if I recall correctly. I hope D4 similiar to that.

I really wish the game was BC on the XB1 though. The PS3 version suffered from some performance issues that I just couldn't really put up with in the long run. 

zoliRX said:
BadD0g said:
Agreed. The "competetive season" format in DR is much closer to what actual racing is like. You're not going to win every event you compete in throughout your entire career, so when games have a "first or nothing" system in their career mode it doesn't really make sense. That's one of the reasons I was never able to get into Xpand Rally. I liked the rest of the game, but you reach a progression wall if you don't place first in enough events.

That's one of the reason why I also love the totally underrated GRID : Autosport. You could still progress without winning, if I recall correctly. I hope D4 similiar to that.

I really wish the game was BC on the XB1 though. The PS3 version suffered from some performance issues that I just couldn't really put up with in the long run. 

You will be able to progress by simply completing the events now. It's maybe too easy progress ;)

KickUp said:
zoliRX said:
BadD0g said:

You will be able to progress by simply completing the events now. It's maybe too easy progress ;)
thanks for the response as always @KickUp!

BadD0g said:
There were events to progress through in Xpand Rally? I just spent all my time trying to see how much I could injure the driver...

I remember the first Toca games. You had to place high to go through to the next round. 

Always enjoyed to ram Bintcliffe with Rydells Volvo ;)

if motion blur can be turned off get that guy a extra big mug of yorkshire tea and biscuits B)

Operator1 said:

For example: some car/motorsport games advertise huge rosters of exotic cars to drive - but they don't tell you that those cars cost more in-game currency than you could ever hope to earn, and you may only get access to 20% (or less) of all those advertised cars (unless you grind away for the next 97 years of your life just to save up enough in-game currency to buy/unlock all those cars).
I am in maximum agreement with this point! As much as I have enjoyed playing all the Gran Turismo games,, I rarely end up buying all the cars I want, as I just haven't got the time (or inclination) to keep grinding away to raise enough cash.

I've always defended that having all cars unlocked from the start is a better policy. It's about giving the players freedom of choice of how to play the game. These kinds of games are the ones that I'm interested in because I can choose how many hours I spend with them. When you just want to fire up your favorite car and track and go for a drive, it's the best.

tbtstt said:
Operator1 said:
I am in maximum agreement with this point! As much as I have enjoyed playing all the Gran Turismo games,, I rarely end up buying all the cars I want, as I just haven't got the time (or inclination) to keep grinding away to raise enough cash.

It's precisely because of those types of short-sighted game design decisions that I do not feel the least bit guilty about using single-player-only offline cheats. I shouldn't have to resort to such measures, but sometimes that's the only way to gain access to game content that I paid for but can't otherwise play.

I'm sure I still have some GameSharks & Game Genies packed up in a box somewhere.  :D

I've always defended that having all cars unlocked from the start is a better policy. It's about giving the players freedom of choice of how to play the game. These kinds of games are the ones that I'm interested in because I can choose how many hours I spend with them. When you just want to fire up your favorite car and track and go for a drive, it's the best.

This. I just wouldn't get the game if it didn't have the ability like DR to pick a car and a stage to just be able to do a short event in 20 minutes. I'm assuming this will be the same (all cars unlocked for custom events). I don't mind the 'career' part of it locking some away, so long as I can do the custom events and championships (although it would be nice to be able to select/name opposition AI for this).

Will D4 have the (IMO) silly upgrade mechanic? As in, when we buy a car, will we have to do events to upgrade parts?
Not preformance wise. I think the thing that will be upgraded is reliability.

This. I just wouldn't get the game if it didn't have the ability like DR to pick a car and a stage to just be able to do a short event in 20 minutes. I'm assuming this will be the same (all cars unlocked for custom events). I don't mind the 'career' part of it locking some away, so long as I can do the custom events and championships (although it would be nice to be able to select/name opposition AI for this).

Actually you're not allowed to create custom championship on higher difficulty level than you've already beaten in career - IIRC.

Didzis said:
Rygar86 said:
Didzis said:
urgaffel said:
50Gb is roughly what you can fit on bluRay so it makes sense that most games are around that size these days. Painful when you buy things digitally though... :(
Half an hour or so and it should be downloaded :D 

edgenz said:
cgiugu said:
Dirt4 requirements:
http://www.game-debate.com/news/22580/official-dirt-4-system-requirements-revealed

Whoah! GTX980 recommend...

Might have to turn a few details down on my RX480 then...
lol - sadness. The RX480 is the card I'm considering for a budget upgrade from my HD7950 :(
The RX480 isn't that far off from the GTX980, the 980 is maybe 10-15% faster overall (for now)
Does that mean you have a 200 Mbit line? 
Actually 250 Mbit :D
Nice B)

KickUp said:
zoliRX said:
BadD0g said:

I hope that doesnt mean the AI is easier than Dirt Rally? Also, I think in Dirt Rally you had to finish in the top 3 (or 5 ?) at the end of a championship in order to go to the next difficulty level. Is it still something like this in D4?

Yea.

The PVP rally (without staggered, just leaderboards) were confirmed in this thread wasn't it? 
I'm asking cause around 10:00 he says that he didn't see such thing unfortunately. 

He must have mixed Spain with France around 3:00...

He did say Australia and Spain right after that as well. Though, it's probably just a mistake on his part. We're going to have 5 locations, not 6, for rally.

JZStudios said:
Did I hear Micro Machines?
HYPE.                 
Yeah, @xtinamcgrath has been mentioning it a lot lately.

I did see there was a large area at DirtFish, also ghost car at DirtFish.

He was messing up quite a few things, he needs to use a script, so i wouldn't take his place names without a pinch of salt.