DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Why I dont see any water on my screen if I drive with the bumper camera through water on wales??
That removes immersion and is almost a cheat which I dont want.
You'll come now with realism maybe - but thats not realistic either. Especially the bumper should get even more wet if it comes to realism.

At the F1 Games I can also drive an other camera without removed water on my screen when it rains.
Now I have to switch to cockpit everytime before a water drivethrough, just because of this problem :neutral:

Not going to lie, I loved the interface and clinical style of DR's UI, to me it was perfect. This will be a downgrade to me, but I understand it's what a lot of people want - not that important, I just thought DR's UI was near-perfection for me (especially before the final patch). Still think D4's is a great looking version of what it is.

i like the simpleness of dirt rally myself.i actually think its a bit of a achilles heel for codemasters as many previous games have had pretty bad menus gui system.even though games been great.

so many people get caught up in it must have this or that when simply works is often the best way.

The UI was ok in DR, but it lacked activities relating to the simulation.  It was black and white switch it on and drive Rally stages.  That was it

Slogging through rallies to earn enough credits to buy cars and upgrades to be competitive in online rallies, won't strongly motivate or hold the attention for too long in many cases.

Im really glad they have diversified the UI story/theme for D4

why flag & offtopic? is this only about dirt 4 or what?

If thats not ontopic, then tell the topic pls. This thread seems to me like a general discussion about dirt.

DR UI was/is simple, minimalist, but it's one of the best UI's ( imo ). It's super fast, it takes me to where i want with only a couple of clicks, without having to "browse" through a bunch of Menu's / Interfaces, and that's what i really want from a UI..
If D4 UI can keep this "speed", but with a better presentation ( not going overboard ), it will be perfect... and that's what it looks like on the video.

Why I dont see any water on my screen if I drive with the bumper camera through water on wales??
That removes immersion and is almost a cheat which I dont want.
You'll come now with realism maybe - but thats not realistic either. Especially the bumper should get even more wet if it comes to realism.

At the F1 Games I can also drive an other camera without removed water on my screen when it rains.
Now I have to switch to cockpit everytime before a water drivethrough, just because of this problem :neutral:

POPCORN.                                            

maybe for you if you dont drive bumper camera, but for me it is a little criticism which I hope not to encounter at dirt 4 again.
Its pointless to draw no effect at bumper view and even unfair for you cockpit drivers if I have zero effect of a water drivethrough with an other camera while a cockpit driver doesnt see much for this second.
I see nothing wrong with it that it disappoints me.

maybe for you if you dont drive bumper camera, but for me it is a little criticism which I hope not to encounter at dirt 4 again.
Its pointless to draw no effect at bumper view and even unfair for you cockpit drivers if I have zero effect of a water drivethrough with an other camera while a cockpit driver doesnt see much for this second.

But its the least important factor in any racing game, ever. Plus, think about it, cameras don't have wipers or any cleaning mechanism (in rally at least), so any water on screen would blind the player for two (decisive) seconds.

Better than having nothing. Or alternatively what about the same time like with wipers? Or maybe a bit slower I dont know.
I even could accept the punishment of having slightly longer water in my face.
But its the first game which doesnt draw any effect anymore on an other camera than cockpit I know of.
F1 2016 from the same company - codemasters - hasnt the problem either. Its just dirt for some reason :S
So even if its in your words the least important factor, still dirt is the only game I know of which has this problem. And for me this is a problem - unnecessary unfair to cockpit drivers and immersion killed from water drivethroughs. Just dont remove this effect from other cameras. Where is the problem? Other games see no problem here.

What's your point, exactly??

Use chase cam, no water up there....

Use the no external camera difficulty option, problem solved.

You can't penalise people using external cams (arguably the more casual players) for something so rare and irrelevant as a water splash, they have no way of clearing it.  You'd just change to a chase cam if you are using a bumper cam.

Better than having nothing. Or alternatively what about the same time like with wipers? Or maybe a bit slower I dont know.
I even could accept the punishment of having slightly longer water in my face.
But its the first game which doesnt draw any effect anymore on an other camera than cockpit I know of.
F1 2016 from the same company - codemasters - hasnt the problem either. Its just dirt for some reason :S
So even if its in your words the least important factor, still dirt is the only game I know of which has this problem. And for me this is a problem - unnecessary unfair to cockpit drivers and immersion killed from water drivethroughs. Just dont remove this effect from other cameras. Where is the problem? Other games see no problem here.

You are basically the only one that has an issue with this. Maybe it's time to point the finger at yourself and really think about it.
And if you really want realism just do what others do, which is drive with the cockpit or dash cam. That'll put a smile on your face when you drive through the splash on the Sweet Lamb stage. 

I use front bumper cam and I literally see nothing from water drivethroughs at all. Even no water splashing up. Just nothing. As if I drove over asphalt. On a damnit frontbumper camera!

Its the opposite - I'm driving frontbumper and find it unfair and a lost immersion (an unnecessary lost immersion) that I see no effect from water, while cockpitdriver dont see anything for a second.
I'm not a more casual player - I just prefer the frontbumper view - and thats still a big difference to chase cam where you can see due to its camera height into every next corner. So I think it would be better if frontbumber camera would give at least half of the cockpit bonus rather than being treated the same like the chase cam.
The water could go away from alone. We dont need to mount wipers on the bumper. It could fade automatically after some time period similar to wiper away. Same could be even done for the chase cam. The cameras on f1 2016 get raindrops on the screen even on chase cam. Why not? this way the only difference to cockpit is the physical ones like vision to the sides and so on and not such unnecessary punishment to cockpit drivers and unnecessary removed immersion for drivers who prefer an other camera.
I find it harsh to say i'm a casual when i prefer to drive frontbumper. A casual wouldnt care that watersplash is missing and an advantage for him. I do care, because its unfair next to the lost immersion - even if its just the 2 situations at wales.

I use front bumper cam and I literally see nothing from water drivethroughs at all. Even no water splashing up. Just nothing. As if I drove over asphalt. On a damnit frontbumper camera!

Its the opposite - I'm driving frontbumper and find it unfair and a lost immersion (an unnecessary lost immersion) that I see no effect from water, while cockpitdriver dont see anything for a second.
I'm not a more casual player - I just prefer the frontbumper view - and thats still a big difference to chase cam where you can see due to its camera height into every next corner. So I think it would be better if frontbumber camera would give at least half of the cockpit bonus rather than being treated the same like the chase cam.
The water could go away from alone. We dont need to mount wipers on the bumper. It could fade automatically after some time period similar to wiper away. Same could be even done for the chase cam. The cameras on f1 2016 get raindrops on the screen even on chase cam. Why not? this way the only difference to cockpit is the physical ones like vision to the sides and so on and not such unnecessary punishment to cockpit drivers and unnecessary removed immersion for drivers who prefer an other camera.
I find it harsh to say i'm a casual when i prefer to drive frontbumper. A casual wouldnt care that watersplash is missing and an advantage for him. I do care, because its unfair next to the lost immersion - even if its just the 2 situations at wales.

1. Chase cam does have water droplets.

2. If you want it to be fair drive from either dash cam or cockpit view.

3. THERE ARE TWO WATER SPLASHES IN THE ENTIRE GAME.

(Which begs the question: will D4 have water splashes?) 

D4 does have water splashes, that's Coleman approved ;)

Demon, um, care to explain *how* you would see water on the bumper cam?

D4 does have water splashes, that's Coleman approved ;)

Demon, um, care to explain *how* you would see water on the bumper cam?

What he means is - bumper camera - no watter effect.
Dashcam - effect (player has limitted vision for about a second before the wipers work).

He wants it on both. 

But its the least important factor in any racing game, ever. Plus, think about it, cameras don't have wipers or any cleaning mechanism (in rally at least), so any water on screen would blind the player for two (decisive) seconds.

my god dont go to deep we just spent how many years trying to get a option for no motion blur ingame.last thing we want is having that turned off only for mud and crap all over your screen.we might aswell just get butter and spread it on our monitors :D

dgeesi0 said:

my god dont go to deep we just spent how many years trying to get a option for no motion blur ingame.last thing we want is having that turned off only for mud and crap all over your screen.we might aswell just get butter and spread it on our monitors :D

Going by the recent submissions of late I wouldn't be surprised :tongue:

One question which I don't believe I've seen elsewhere:

Will the crashed/stopped cars that you pass on stage be scenic or will they be actually tied to the road order? For example, if I'm running first on the road will I not have a chance to see one and, if the only car running ahead is a Fiesta, will the only car I would be able to stumble across be a Fiesta?

If that makes any sense!?

@KickUp A question occurs: the maximum length for a Your Stage stage is 13 km, what's the minimum length? Wouldn't want them too small.

I guess this is turning to a line of questions but here is another to @KickUp Is the branding suite restricted to career only or is it possible to make  one for quick-play/League racing with full access to all the designs and sponsors?

@KickUp A question occurs: the maximum length for a Your Stage stage is 13 km, what's the minimum length? Wouldn't want them too small.

I can't find it right now, but I think one of the videos from a while ago shows the generator with length turned right down. I can't remember the distances it was putting out though.

I can't find it right now, but I think one of the videos from a while ago shows the generator with length turned right down. I can't remember the distances it was putting out though.

Its around 1.25 miles / 2km