DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

zissakos1 said:

@KickUp
so when will there be new official footage of the other locations?

One guy in one video said, in SanFrancisco they were not allowed to film off screen, only allowed to film them play the game (further away). Why?

Policy at these events.
The game still has a lot of polish work to finish it and if we start releasing videos of gameplay now they will be judged as if they are finished when they are not. 

@KickUp  just out of my curiosity how mutch does Team need time for creat one location for Your Stage ? and do you  have to go phisical to location. or can be work just out satelitte pictures and videos?

KickUp said:

Rygar86 said:

I appologise if this has already been posted here but I found it really interesting to see the work that goes into providing the first class sound effects we enjoy in Dirt Rally and in Dirt 4. Will all the cars in Dirt 4 have real life recordings @KickUp ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC2XNhJCS0U

We get as many as we can. Some cars are very hard to source but we aim to get the real deal whenever it is possible.

*Drooools over new 037 sound*

zissakos1 said:

OK I see.
For a release in June, what is the (gold) deadline for the big companies like MIcrosoft, Sony & Steam anyway? How many weeks before?

Quite a few weeks before - I'm not going to give specifics here though as it changes from project to project.

@KickUp  just out of my curiosity how mutch does Team need time for creat one location for Your Stage ? and do you  have to go phisical to location. or can be work just out satelitte pictures and videos?

Its a long time - again, I'm not going to give specifics but it is a big task that involves a lot of people. We always try and go to the location. If we can't go ourselves then we will send a professional photographer. 

Rygar86 said:

I appologise if this has already been posted here but I found it really interesting to see the work that goes into providing the first class sound effects we enjoy in Dirt Rally and in Dirt 4. Will all the cars in Dirt 4 have real life recordings @KickUp ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC2XNhJCS0U

Many cats died producing the sound for this game.  

i love the sound in dirt rally only critique is really need it to bleed through more.pops bangs all of it.most people will want to have it sound like they driving a angry tiger . it is far to subdued in dirt rally.look forward to hearing dirt 4.

Well I saw DiRT 4 at Barcelona at the weekend (and also caught a few members of the team, who didn't blank me this time! :smiley: ).

The rallycross from the game was setup in the PSRXVW tent, was playable and I was told all the available rallycross cars were in...

...Unfortunately it was surrounded by people every time I went past (and only catered for wheel snobs   ), so I didn't get a chance to have a go! Seemed to be getting a lot of positive response though, so good news for all the rallycross players on here! 

@KickUp If someone does not pre-order, will they see pre-order things in game regardless? For example, the AI using the Hyundai R5?

@KickUp If someone does not pre-order, will they see pre-order things in game regardless? For example, the AI using the Hyundai R5?

Yeah - you'll see the AI using the Hyundai R5

Nice sound video, that was sweet. Loved the sounds in DR, if D4 is anything like as good it'll be up there with Raceroom as genre-leading.

dgeesi0 said:

i love the sound in dirt rally only critique is really need it to bleed through more.pops bangs all of it.most people will want to have it sound like they driving a angry tiger . it is far to subdued in dirt rally.look forward to hearing dirt 4.

+1000

Sound sliders for skid, turbo, exhaust, transmission, etc, would be perfect @KickUp 
Also, more Sound Videos!!

Will Dirt 4 have a motion blur strength setting?
In Dirt Rally it is a bit strong, but I'd like to not complete deactivate it, because youtube would get compression problems then.
But I'd like to have it toned down to half or quarter the strength.

Related to cockpit camera - Maybe I get more used to it, if I would have a VR device with headtracking - but without it is too much vision loss to me, especially for me its much more immersion to see more from the road surface and landscape, than seeing 75% of the screen = car interior. Is it maybe possible to edit some file somehow, so that I can see weather effects happening on bumper camera? That would be nice.

And pls try to improve the engine to support longer tracks..

Yes, as confirmed by urgaffel .. in his own way.

urgaffel said:

Something something motion blur something something options maybe mumble mumble....

In Dirt Rally it is a bit strong, but I'd like to not complete deactivate it, because youtube would get compression problems then.
But I'd like to have it toned down to half or quarter the strength.

Related to cockpit camera - Maybe I get more used to it, if I would have a VR device with headtracking - but without it is too much vision loss to me, especially for me its much more immersion to see more from the road surface and landscape, than seeing 75% of the screen = car interior. Is it maybe possible to edit some file somehow, so that I can see weather effects happening on bumper camera? That would be nice.

And pls try to improve the engine to support longer tracks..

You can't just edit a file to show something in a different camera mode. The weather effects are built into the environment, not the camera angles. On a screen, the most realistic FOV and view personally is the dashcam. I dont see how you can get more immersion from a camera which mimics your head strapped to the front grill.

...So, @cmsoundfx I'm just curious how well the new fancy pantsy sounds work with full surround sound. DR was pretty darn good, and I'm looking to get a surround setup that isn't crap. It won't have that weird muffled audio filter for the rear channels like some games will it? (Please say no, please no, please...)
For anyone who doesn't know, the "surround sound" headphones fake the audio by causing a bit of time delay between the headphones, as well as adding a muffling effect behind your head. It works fine for headphones, but when you have an actual surround setup your head does that muffling naturally due to discrete audio sources physically placed around you, but most games leave that weird filter in. In effect, it really ruins the sound, and as you move the camera around a sound source you hear this kind of crap instagram filter take over. It's not natural and it's very noticeable. The Witcher 3 had full support for 7.1 without filters and it was AMAZING. You could follow a noise as it moved around you, and you could tell how far away it was. Every time a door closed behind me in game I thought someone came in my room.

This might've been asked before, but @KickUp will we be able to take any car on the DirtFish playground (including Rallycross and Landrush cars)? Or is that just for rally cars?

SirPhilMcKraken said:
I dont see how you can get more immersion from a camera which mimics your head strapped to the front grill.

I for example get more immersion from chase camera since it gives me the field of view that is closer to real one when compared with any other camera. Only a triple monitor setup or a VR will beat that, but since I ain't got any... chase camera it is for me :P

It's really not that hard to wrap your head around the concept of different people having different priorities when it comes to different things.

Didzis said:

This might've been asked before, but @KickUp will we be able to take any car on the DirtFish playground (including Rallycross and Landrush cars)? Or is that just for rally cars?

Yeah in freeplay you can. 

ah you meant with dash the speedometers and such, sorry I as a german confused it with bonnet cam.
The dash is still much car interior I guess.

What effects are left over with bonnet camera (if there is one) ?

Has there been information on "Minimum" and "Ideal" hardware requirements for Dirt 4?

cjl9 said:

Has there been information on "Minimum" and "Ideal" hardware requirements for Dirt 4?

Check the game's Steam page.

I can't use anything other than cockpit, as that's how you drive a real car. I just don't feel a connection with the car in any other view

I think it's unnecessary to compare different driving views. Some people use bumper cam because it gives the best sense of speed due to the camera being so close to the ground, some people use the bonnet cam because it gives the best sense of where the front edges of the car are, some people use interior cams because they're the most authentic compared to real life and some people use the chase cam because it gives the best sense of the edges of the whole car.

I personally use interior cams because I'm all about authenticity, but each to their own! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dHG676xGAI&feature=youtu.be&a                                                                                                                      

There's a short gameplay at the start of the video and he wrote "Lots of DiRT 4 footage coming"!