DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

I have been backing and playing Starcitizen for a while now, I have enjoyed playing (testing?) the game and certainly enjoyed the communication from the developer.  I just read this article and thought I would post a link and highlight a few bits here.  I am mostly pointing out the communications to players about the game being in development and how the players understand they are testing it:

Instead, Star Citizens initial fundraising campaign brought in $6.2 million and nearly $40 million last year, astounding everyone, including Roberts.

Now, well into development on Star Citizen and with plenty of feedback from players, Roberts says he's happy going the route he did. A big issue with things like Steam Early Access, he says, is that despite how clear it might be that people are paying for an unfinished game, some players are still confused.

"Even on Steam Early Access you still get people thinking they're buying a final game and they kind of complain about it," he says.

Because the Star Citizen team spends so much time communicating with the community and because almost all updates talk about how early the game is in development, Roberts says they don't run into an overwhelming amount of complaints. And when those complaints come, it's usually the community that explains things to the players.

"I still see people on forums complaining about things broken ... and there's always a bunch of other people going, ‘It's an alpha, that's the definition of an alpha. You're here to help make it better, not to necessarily play a finished game.'

That clear communication, even though it may boil down to semantics, is a big part of why the Star Citizen community is the way it is, Roberts says.

"It's the way you enter into any contract with anyone," he says. "It's about setting expectations. As long as you deliver on those expectations than it goes well.

Here is the link to the full article

http://www.polygon.com/features/2015/3/2/8131661/star-citizen-chris-roberts-interview

Its really a good article about their way of interacting with the community.  I am not talking about a Kickstarter campaign here, I am talking about communication with players alpha testing a game, with a commitment of money to support it.  

Hopefully I am getting this across right.  

Quality > Quantity

If Milestone releases Sebastian Loeb Rally on PC I will definetely get it, but most likely not Full Price. Depends on how much they improved.

Thinking about their WRC-Games I need to think of the GRID-Railroad-Joke, because thats what they did in WRC. Their Rally-Tracks looks like artificial Railroads forced through artificial Landscapes. Environments are pretty much the most important aspect for me in Racing-Games.

As well WRC had pretty mediocre performance. It wasn't smooth. Some tracks played out more smoothly some less smoothly. Not that sure how this bug is called where you get 60fps all the the time, but the game still stutters. Cockpit-view was fine though, but external cam was often stuttering.

In the end I am more exited about WRC 5 than Sebastian Loeb Rally so far. But in the end I am only really exited about Dirt 4.

https://twitter.com/Kick_Up/status/574676671737036800

https://twitter.com/jamielowesdev/status/574677891323199488

Dev's are funny :smiley: 

And...

https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/574677473377579009

WorldRX more than confirmed. My distant dream is WRC, WRX and DAKAR graduates in a single game DiRT ... Meanwhile BigBen WRC license and do not know enjoy it , hiring cheap developers who end up with a poor final product. A WRC license in the trash.

Ok, this is going to be off topic , and those that sorta know me, understand that I am usually joking.  BUT I am here to cause lots of trouble and wreck havoc on these forums... so here goes

I understand and appriciate that our beloved sport (rally and rallycross) started on your side of the ocean, most good sports have :smile:   Also UK Top Gear is one of the best car enthusiast shows on TV.  

However:

I noticed something about tonights episode that is quite funny for us Americans.  You needed one of our US guys to teach you (James May and the rest of you!) how to drive at your own sport?   On top of that, UK Top Gear asked the American UNDERRATED Top Gear to borrow their host.  

do you not see the irony in all of this???  hilarious, I am Rolling On The Floor Laughing right now

Ok, back on topic..  I still think on (James) MAY 8th, 12th or MAY 28th we will see something from this Gossip that could be true, and it could very well be that rally cross is one of the highlights of the preview-reel or whatever.  

gfRally said:

Ok, back on topic..  I still think on (James) MAY 8th, 12th or MAY 28th we will see something from this Gossip that could be true, and it could very well be that rally cross is one of the highlights of the preview-reel or whatever.  
Did you guys also noticed that May 22- 24 the World Rallycross Championship visit Lydden Hill? :O
12 / 28 of May will make it plausible! * Gossip material !!!!*

I did come on to give you guys an update of my week but I can do that later rather than changing the topic of conversation.

Out of interest what did you guys think of the info the Milestone dudes dropped today? You excited for it? Was there stuff you'd like to know more about their game, anything else you'd like to have seen from them?
A bit late on this one, but my 10 cent... ...on paper it looks promising but, echoing what @RallyDriven said, I'm not that enthused based on the previous Milestone efforts. The addition of rallycross has piqued my interest though, I wonder if they will be including real or fictional tracks?

Azoresst said:
https://twitter.com/Kick_Up/status/574676671737036800

https://twitter.com/jamielowesdev/status/574677891323199488

Dev's are funny :smiley: 

And...

https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/574677473377579009
Seriously regretting not going to the open day last month now: these are surely hints and I desperately want to know more about any potential rallycross content!
Did you guys also noticed that May 22- 24 the World Rallycross Championship visit Lydden Hill? :O
12 / 28 of May will make it plausible! * Gossip material !!!!*
I will be there, if there is anything to see I will post it on here!

It's really entertaining being on the other side of the gossip! I see why @justbiglee enjoys teasing so much!

It's really entertaining being on the other side of the gossip! I see why @justbiglee enjoys teasing so much!
I'm not teasing, I'm leaving hints.

How about some better hints like Cars, tracks and race disciplines? ;)

There's nothing wrong with my hints ;)

There's nothing wrong with my hints ;)
Except that we need a code decrypter to know what you are saying haha

You're such a PT.

Lee left the biggest hint of all a few days ago on Twitter with regards to something with 4 wheels, even @gfRally commented on it, and @Azoresst dismissed it!

Hmmm... 
https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/572471104675192832?s=09
The fiscal year starts in April, right? If that's correct, then August falls in Q2, which means that, if this is taken to mean a release before q3, there's still a chance the realease may be in August, and, therefore, a chance of DX12 support (first dx12 games release this summer).

Lee left the biggest hint of all a few days ago on Twitter with regards to something with 4 wheels, even @gfRally commented on it, and @Azoresst dismissed it!
Well that confirms that suspicion.  I think FIAWRX is pretty solidly confirmed as well after this weekend.  

I also keep thinking that DiRTteam hopefully will have some really great partical system for all the mud that I was slung around too.  

Evilsmurf said:

Next Dirt game to be called " James May Rallycross "

Areyouben said:
Captain Slow Rally

I'm pretty sure everyone got the joke, but just in case, I figured I'd join the posts by quoting them and explain that Captain Slow is James May's nickname because he always drives, well, slow.

tbtstt said:
You're such a PT.
@tbtstt what's a PT?

gfRally said:
I also keep thinking that DiRTteam hopefully will have some really great partical system for all the mud that I was slung around too.  
Things like this really make the game for me. One of the things I liked about Dirt3 was the jumps on the rally. There are a few when you accelerate towards them when you think, do I really want to be going this fast when I hit the top and you actually find yourself wanting to back off out of fear of what will happen on the other side. Reviewing the jump out of the replay is great as you fly thorugh the air.

So similar, it would be great to go though a mud bath and send mud flying all over the place. But I guess very hard to model and very computationally expensive as all that mud flies around in small bits in different directions. Probably more difficult to make realistic than rain, snow. Anyway, it's called Dirt. Let's hope they'll be lots of it.

789ifyz said:
Hmmm... 
https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/572471104675192832?s=09
The fiscal year starts in April, right? If that's correct, then August falls in Q2, which means that, if this is taken to mean a release before q3, there's still a chance the realease may be in August, and, therefore, a chance of DX12 support (first dx12 games release this summer).
Fiscal year starts Jan-March (q1) April-June (q2) etc... 

789ifyz said:
tbtstt said:
You're such a PT.
@tbtstt what's a PT?
PT = Prick Tease. A lady who leads you on, but never puts out! :smiley: 

https://twitter.com/justbiglee/status/573922936509304832

Bottom right Audi images (DiRT3 Steamworks cards)... THAT CAR

Can't wait till I can set an awesome DiRT 3 wallpaper on my Steam profile :D

Heh how did I miss that one, it's been on twitter for three days, i think i've actually send @justbiglee a reminder to post them after that... Sorry Lee ;)