DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Yeah, pCars handles not too bad at all really, but on console, the FFB is impossible in my opinion to get a feel for.  I played on PC & it was 'OK'. 

I dont mind complicated car setups setups in games, if the  setup translates well to what real car setups do, but the FFB in pCars has pages of feedback options.  It's anyone's guess to what the outcome of each has.

Another point too, any FFB changes I make on Xbox, literally take 1-2 mins to save???  So you can't make quick changes on the fly to refine.  It's infuriating...  

Feedback MAKES a driving game.  Almost as important as the physics themselves

Jepsertti said:

JZStudios said:

SkyRex said:

SamRWD said:

Areyouben said:

This video shows some rallycross gameplay after the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXeEFOuiCYo

Looks fun, but will probably be pretty limited as far as content goes. Kinda weird having GRC and World RX cars together as well.

That doesn't look bad at all! I am not into RX at all, but I hope they decide to do some Rally stuff too!

I think PC2 has somewhat more realisitc lighting than D4, just can't put my finger on the source. Maybe a mixture of reflections on metal and visible sunlight rays, but the difference isn't that big.
Compared to D4, DiRT has a whole lot better particle effects (dirt) than PC2 though, which is a huge immersion part if you drive offroad.
I'm not really exited for PC2, after how PC1 turned out. Promised features never came and although the physics were plausible, the FFB was utter BS... I never found a setup, that would work with my T300 and give me proper feedback from the front wheels, which made catching a slide a PITA, compared to DR, where I can hold a drift almost naturally, because the wheel properly feeds back how the wheels are turning and moving.

PCars is running UE4 with a full PBR suite. I don't think D4 is, but I could be wrong. I typically don't like UE's "realistic" ultra glossy materials and stock PP effects, but it looks like SMS worked it out. D4 also has the brilliant and wonderful @urgaffel using the FumeFX to get the prettiest dirt around.
I'm also waiting to see how PC2 actually ships, but based on how much they've changed their tone internally I've got a reserved excitement for it. The FFB system actually does make sense once it's visualized, the problem is that NONE of the SMS crew could seem to actually show/explain how it works. There's a community made app that takes Wheelchecker's LUT and gives/allows you to find the values you need.
The FFB is actually pretty decent, but the physics are still a bit lackluster, and sliding isn't great.

Project CARS isn't running Unreal Engine 4, it's running their own MADNESS engine. Directly from their website: "Project CARS runs on Slightly Mad Studios' proprietary MADNESS game engine that was built specifically for next-generation platforms and is scalable to a wide variety of modern PC specifications."

I thought the first one was UE. Or something close to it.

@KickUp
With all this talk over FFB, have you done anything with the display of FFB settings in D4?  By that i mean, indicating which settings are driven by the physics engine, Vs the simulated options?

I don't like to play with the simulated options enabled as it ends up being messy and undefined, but without finding someones guide, we didn't know which was which in DR.

RX seems to have had the most drastic change for D4, I used it minimally in DR but look forward to it now.  The 'scale' of the tracks seem a bit more believable now.  They seemed narrow and short before but I may have just imagined that difference.

What I do look fwd to though, is 2wd Rally, both front and rear wheel drive.  I won't be using 'game' mode, but can't wait to try the 'rookie/beginner' class R2's in full sim spec.  The Adams are rapid & the wee 3-pot Fiestas sound fantastic on the stages.  The R2 class will provide great racing demanding proper skill I reckon! 

KevM said:

RX seems to have had the most drastic change for D4, I used it minimally in DR but look forward to it now.  The 'scale' of the tracks seem a bit more believable now.  They seemed narrow and short before but I may have just imagined that difference.

What I do look fwd to though, is 2wd Rally, both front and rear wheel drive.  I won't be using 'game' mode, but can't wait to try the 'rookie/beginner' class R2's in full sim spec.  The Adams are rapid & the wee 3-pot Fiestas sound fantastic on the stages.  The R2 class will provide great racing demanding proper skill I reckon! 

Do you want to add more anxiety? Just see this vid and you Will go to Codemasters HQ to steal a copy now LOL
https://youtu.be/fwkwk369S88

Lol - iv a real funny story relating to the first time I saw that in car vid, but I better not tell it or Chris Ingram will be on the phone again!!  :p

Erm, i'm not sure we get 3 pot fiestas? do we?  Even if spec'd we did, i don't know if we have the recording for it :(

Erm, i'm not sure we get 3 pot fiestas? do we?  Even if spec'd we did, i don't know if we have the recording for it :(

The vídeo showed the facelifted Fiesta which is the R2T, but we may have the old 1.6 engine in the Facelifted Car

I never had a problem with the default controller settings in PCars, from GT5 to LMP1 (don't mention the karts), though I didn't start playing that game until last summer if that makes a difference. OTOH I did have problems with the bugs of qualifying times not being recorded, the exploitable singleplayer, and the unclear and uncooperative career calendar.

The vídeo showed the facelifted Fiesta which is the R2T, but we may have the old 1.6 engine in the Facelifted Car

Sooo, answer me this.... do we have visual confirmation of the Fiesta R2 (3 pot) in D4 then?

The R2 Fiesta should be a 3 cylinder.  It's a 1.0 Ecoboost - Epic performance from a great wee engine!  Sounds damn close to a 911 Porsche too, quite a laugh to drive in-game I'd say

Sooo, answer me this.... do we have visual confirmation of the Fiesta R2 (3 pot) in D4 then?

Yes. Check my post with all the rally cars in the DiRT 4 Confirmed Car thread. You'll see it's the face-lifted Fiesta, which, according to M-Sport is only available with a 1.0 liter turbo.

1.6 liter body style
http://www.m-sport.co.uk/images/R2_Sales_Document_update2014_-_Combined.pdf

1.0 liter body style
https://www.m-sport.co.uk/images/New_R2_Sales_Document_v6_2.pdf

KevM said:

Do you want to add more anxiety? Just see this vid and you Will go to Codemasters HQ to steal a copy now LOL

The view from the side windows makes it look a lot faster than it is. If you cover those up so you can only see the windscreen it doesn't look quite as fast! Still driving at a fair speed though.

Yes. Check my post with all the rally cars in the DiRT 4 Confirmed Car thread. You'll see it's the face-lifted Fiesta, which, according to M-Sport is only available with a 1.0 liter turbo.

1.6 liter body style
http://www.m-sport.co.uk/images/R2_Sales_Document_update2014_-_Combined.pdf

1.0 liter body style

In which case; R2T confirmed, correct sound confirmed, ass ton of ALS confirmed ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfo_23Xf32U

1.6 is a 2014 car, since 2015, the Fiesta was an EcoBooster

I hope 'licensing' hasn't resulted in the old 1.6 making it to the game.  The wee 1.0 sounds great & would be a shame to miss out on, but hey....

I dont know which car we Will have, here:
We can see a mistake or a licence problem, the car is named as Fiesta R2 and we can see the facelifted version of it, which its name is Fiesta R2T
@KickUp

I dont know which car we Will have, here:
We can see a mistake or a licence problem, the car is named as Fiesta R2 and we can see the facelifted version of it, which its name is Fiesta R2T
@KickUp

Even though it's a turbo, the official name for the 1ltr EcoBoost model is "Ford Fiesta R2" because the official name for the class is R2 

I believe R2T is just some made up subcategory name to categorize the NA and turbo cars more easily. :)

It also has a DriveDmack livery, which is a series specific to the 1.0

Am I alone here not finding turbos and ALS as intriguing as tuned NA cars?

Is there anything more boring than watching a whole field of Group N Mitsubishis going past you in the stages? Low mumbling engine note and a few pops here and there.

Shots fired!  :#

bogani said:

Am I alone here not finding turbos and ALS as intriguing as tuned NA cars?

Is there anything more boring than watching a whole field of Group N Mitsubishis going past you in the stages? Low mumbling engine note and a few pops here and there.

Shots fired!  :#

Some of the 1.4s cars that compete in the U.K. sound pretty awesome

https://youtu.be/fvrAk4GnjFM

KevM said:

The view from the side windows makes it look a lot faster than it is. If you cover those up so you can only see the windscreen it doesn't look quite as fast! Still driving at a fair speed though.

Thats because triple screens are not supported in that mode :lol:

@bogani  you'll like this one, state of the art Starlet 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNaq3Tj1sPI