DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

KickUp said:

bogani said:

KickUp said:

'I am the 7.7 per cent' is hands down the best!

I think we actually changed the percentage depending on the platform.  :p

Who's responsible for naming "The nightman cometh"? Give this person a raise.

https://youtu.be/iJNtVNe286E

That will be Hatward

I love you @Hatward <3 o:)  

KickUp said:

Rygar86 said:

er185 said:

There must be some mistake, where's the achievment for destroying the car?  :D

Licensing said no  :s

@KickUp  There seems to be constant hurdles in racing games due to licensing.
So in the tradition of achievement titles being a play on words, may I suggest adding one more trophy...

Licencing Hell - Earn all Rally, Pro and Off-Road licences.

I'll be honest, I like the "DiRTy Dozen" the most. But I am kind of biased towards that movie so yeah xD In any case, a bucket full of cookies for the one that came up with it :D

I really don't understand 'licencing against damage' stand point. Why couldn't cars be damaged in realistic way?
Is it better to make children believe those cars are indestructible?

MaXyMsrpl said:

I really don't understand 'licencing against damage' stand point. Why couldn't cars be damaged in realistic way?
Is it better to make children believe those cars are indestructible?

It's more like the manufacturers think they would have to fix all the broken ones and since they know they themselves crash those a lot in those games, they don't want their cars in games so they don't have to work xD

yeah.. sounds like BS :)
Especially in case of sport which managing the damage for is the key factor.

Ok, I was assuming they were not allowed to have an achievement for destroying the car. Now you guys are implying we can't destroy our car at all?

I meant it in general, because this subject returns like boomerang with every new simulation/game.
In DR, car can be destroyed completely (DNF from race). However damage is moderate (comparing to RL) regarding physics as well as gfx representation.

These licensing issues limit game developers so much. If it wasn't for their meddling we would have had so much more advancements in damage physics by now. Especially since developers with practically no damage would have no excuses for subpar damage. I mean, just look at beamng. If an indie studio can produce such realistic damage physics, just imagine what a studio like codemasters would have done by now. What a bummer. 

Do not confuse actual damage, ie. simulated, Vs graphically displayed/represented damage.

Normally a being broken through the actions of the player seem to be ok, however, they can be funny about how much visual damage can be represented on screen.

bogani said:

Ok, I was assuming they were not allowed to have an achievement for destroying the car. Now you guys are implying we can't destroy our car at all?

They won't let us encourage players to destroy their car. Therefore no 'Destroy your car' achievements. 

bogani said:

I'm pretty sure we'll still be able to destroy our cars. I know I'll be trying.

Edit: I mean trying my hardest to win and not damage the car. At all.

Some good achievements in there, torn between The Inbetweeners and Days of Thunder references for my winner!  

Fringe DiRTy Gossip: spot the DiRT 4 decals at Lydden Hill last week...

I may be alone, but I won't ever understand folks' obsession with trying to destroy cars in video games! As long as the mechanical stuff is simulated and a hard hit causes me problems/retirement, I really couldn't care less about the visuals.

I may be alone, but I won't ever understand folks' obsession with trying to destroy cars in video games! As long as the mechanical stuff is simulated and a hard hit causes me problems/retirement, I really couldn't care less about the visuals.

Partly it's about getting as close to the real thing as possible on the screen, and that includes seeing the damage (which can make it easier for some players to assess or intuit the handling effects of damaged or missing parts), on their own car and on their opponents' cars. Damaged parts on the track surface are a factor in real-life racing, so having parts able to break off are yet another element of real-life racing that the player can experience.

Also partly because it's rad.

Same reason why people like action movies with destruction and explosions. Seeing a car deform like a tin can after a high speed crash with parts flying all over the place and dirt getting kicked up just gives a rush of satisfaction. Also you have sort of a reward for screwing up. 

tbtstt said:

Some good achievements in there, torn between The Inbetweeners and Days of Thunder references for my winner!  

Fringe DiRTy Gossip: spot the DiRT 4 decals at Lydden Hill last week...

I spotted 3, what do I win?   :p

Bluestig said:

Same reason why people like action movies with destruction and explosions. Seeing a car deform like a tin can after a high speed crash with parts flying all over the place and dirt getting kicked up just gives a rush of satisfaction. Also you have sort of a reward for screwing up. 

I appreciate your reply and I'm not judging anyone for it, just not something I 'get'. When I mess up (a lot!), I know that I'm out and I'm usually just annoyed with myself; no interest in watching it back. Cheers.

Bluestig said:

I appreciate your reply and I'm not judging anyone for it, just not something I 'get'. When I mess up (a lot!), I know that I'm out and I'm usually just annoyed with myself; no interest in watching it back. Cheers.

But but... the vfx!