DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Bluestig said:

In the next game I bet they will use the newer ego engine making everything better. The current one they're using is quite outdated. 

In some areas like stage length and replay system for example, yes I agree it seems outdated. But in terms of graphics, sound and physics I think its awesome and as up-to-date as almost anyone could expect. Some of the comments on Youtube about the graphics leave me confused as to what is wrong with some peoples eyes?!

There's one issue people seem to forget about the DLC locations. Paid or free?

If they go with paid, then MP experience will suffer because people that don't have those locations, won't be able to join the lobbies with those locations and those that have those bought won't be able to use those freely if they don't want half of the lobby to suddenly disappear. On top of that paid locations usually become completely dead shortly after release. Battlefield is a perfect example of that, pretty much every DLC released from BF3 has become impossible to play 3 months after its release. There are few exceptions to that like the Ziba Tower in BF3 and... that's all I can really think of.

Locations are probably the biggest time sink even with the Your Stage tech so naturally the accountants want to monetise on that but at the same time it would be best for the MP experience if the locations would be released for free and the paid DLCs would basically be liveries, cars etc. In other words things that don't restrict people in terms of what they can play.

Or only require the host to own the DLC to be able to play it like PAYDAY 2 does. But then again, this wouldn't work for ranked matches.

Rygar86 said:

Bluestig said:

In the next game I bet they will use the newer ego engine making everything better. The current one they're using is quite outdated. 

In some areas like stage length and replay system for example, yes I agree it seems outdated. But in terms of graphics, sound and physics I think its awesome and as up-to-date as almost anyone could expect. Some of the comments on Youtube about the graphics leave me confused as to what is wrong with some peoples eyes?!

In every YT-video of every game there are the "Looks like a PS2 game" comments. Don't mind them trolls.

Rygar86 said:

Bluestig said:

Yeah I didn't mean in terms of graphics although they would also be improved with the new engine. I meant new features that don't push the limit of the engine like ground deformation, stage length, damage,etc. Basically all new features people ask for but limited by the old engine. 

https://www.change.org/p/kickup-longer-track-in-your-stage?recruiter=716029805&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=share_twitter_responsive

kop9000 said:

https://www.change.org/p/kickup-longer-track-in-your-stage?recruiter=716029805&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=share_twitter_responsive

What makes you think the developers wouldn't already have them in if longer stages were possible?

bogani said:

dgeesi0 said:

bogani said:

dgeesi0 said:

versedi said:

KevM said:

Where do they go from here though?  Soon, we'll have infinite stages & fixed handling.  DLC locations & Car packs are probable, as what would a new game bring to the party?  CM will have to wait for next gen to work on the next big game-changer?  They've done all they can with current hardware
I'd bet the next things to achieve are:
  1. Road deformation
  2. Few cars simulatenously on track (rally staggered starts)
  3. Tyres - softs/hards and the simulation of worning them off (is it how you call it?)
If they achieve this, they will be the kings of motorsport games forever. 

you know what i played a rally mod yesterday on assetto corsa and im surprised its not already in todays games.what the guy done in the mod is amazing.the car i was using was a wrc fiesta and the way it moved on tarmac/asphalt almost had me breathless.was nigh on perfect.also a car width track no mistakes go unpunished.really brings home the speed like that though.

I've tried that and it does actually work really well on tarmac, even on some of the mod gravel tracks its ok and kinda fun

The car models are impressive but to me it still feels like a GT3 car with a rally skin.

Mods are neat but most of the time I just want to drive quality content. For every good mod there are 100 bad ones.

well the mod we are talking about is actually a great one couple it with semtin which is a really tight car width road on asphalt the way the car moves over bumps and uneven ground is close to reality.one thing dirt misses is when you jump or go over uneven ground it feels flat . on the mod you can feel both sides of the car reacting through the steering.

this is the track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYARYzYiT6E

while the graphics are bad the feel is great. im hoping Dirt 4 has that feel on the asphalt .

also the width of the track really adds to rally.this really needs to be addressed as it gives a better perspective to speed and danger when its tight.

What needs to be adressed? Making tape measured roads more narrow than what they are?

Spain IRL is quite wide running on two lane roads most of the time so if you are awaiting Sementin type of roads there you're going to be disapointed.

A Tape measure is irrelevant.  
You do realise that the Rally car on your to screen and the stage that it's on, don't actually exist?  

I dont think the the scales are right on DiRT Rally to be honest.  The point dgeesio is making, is that the perception of speed and danger aren't accurate in DR.  Flat out is too easy & risks aren't punishing enough.

Thankfully, D4 Scale seems better in that respect, I just hope the driver workload has been increased too.  Sections of stage should demand restraint 

Bluestig said:

kop9000 said:

What makes you think the developers wouldn't already have them in if longer stages were possible?

Exactly this, what a pointless petition

kop9000 said:

No offense but... a change.org petition? Seriously?

At this stage it's impossible to increase the stage length any further. A new evolution of the engine would be required for increased stage lengths. That said, even with new tech, 200 km stages? That's a bit ludicrous of a demand, don't you think? No stage in the WRC, today, is anywhere near that long, what you're suggesting is a Dakar game. Paul has already said that he'd prefer to make a separate game to do Raid events justice.

Didzis said:

How would a 200 km stage be fun?                  

Most of the current WRC events are between 300 and 400 KM in total, so two 200 KM stages and you have just done a complete WRC event! :D  

KevM said:

bogani said:

dgeesi0 said:

bogani said:

dgeesi0 said:

versedi said:

KevM said:

Where do they go from here though?  Soon, we'll have infinite stages & fixed handling.  DLC locations & Car packs are probable, as what would a new game bring to the party?  CM will have to wait for next gen to work on the next big game-changer?  They've done all they can with current hardware
  1. Road deformation
  3. Tyres - softs/hards and the simulation of worning them off (is it how you call it?)

you know what i played a rally mod yesterday on assetto corsa and im surprised its not already in todays games.what the guy done in the mod is amazing.the car i was using was a wrc fiesta and the way it moved on tarmac/asphalt almost had me breathless.was nigh on perfect.also a car width track no mistakes go unpunished.really brings home the speed like that though.

I've tried that and it does actually work really well on tarmac, even on some of the mod gravel tracks its ok and kinda fun

The car models are impressive but to me it still feels like a GT3 car with a rally skin.

Mods are neat but most of the time I just want to drive quality content. For every good mod there are 100 bad ones.

well the mod we are talking about is actually a great one couple it with semtin which is a really tight car width road on asphalt the way the car moves over bumps and uneven ground is close to reality.one thing dirt misses is when you jump or go over uneven ground it feels flat . on the mod you can feel both sides of the car reacting through the steering.

while the graphics are bad the feel is great. im hoping Dirt 4 has that feel on the asphalt .

also the width of the track really adds to rally.this really needs to be addressed as it gives a better perspective to speed and danger when its tight.

What needs to be adressed? Making tape measured roads more narrow than what they are?

Spain IRL is quite wide running on two lane roads most of the time so if you are awaiting Sementin type of roads there you're going to be disapointed.

You do realise that the Rally car on your to screen and the stage that it's on, don't actually exist?  

I dont think the the scales are right on DiRT Rally to be honest.  The point dgeesio is making, is that the perception of speed and danger aren't accurate in DR.  Flat out is too easy & risks aren't punishing enough.

Thankfully, D4 Scale seems better in that respect, I just hope the driver workload has been increased too.  Sections of stage should demand restraint 

yes i think the danger element needs to be more in the rally games.DiRT 4 looks amazing.its my game of the year before it is out.what i was mentioning is tweaks maybe for future games.or possibilities.i think as the community does this we will gradually get to the game we all want to play.

People should have to take a mandatory test when they sign up to a gaming forum about the basic understanding of game developments then we won't get silly petitions like this :D

kop9000 said:

At this stage it's impossible to increase the stage length any further. A new evolution of the engine would be required for increased stage lengths. That said, even with new tech, 200 km stages? That's a bit ludicrous of a demand, don't you think? No stage in the WRC, today, is anywhere near that long, what you're suggesting is a Dakar game. Paul has already said that he'd prefer to make a separate game to do Raid events justice.

But 15 or 16 km is very little

kop9000 said:

kop9000 said:

But there is only so much you can render in game before it takes a toll on performance. Doing a 200 km stage in DiRT4 would probably end up with single digit FPS

KevM said:

bogani said:

dgeesi0 said:

bogani said:

dgeesi0 said:

versedi said:

KevM said:

1. Road deformation

So what are you using as a reference? It's all onboard footage I guess. Onboard footage with a wide fov looks way faster/dangerous than you would perceive it in the actual drivers seat.

I feel bad for the devs doing all these road measurments while visiting the locations. So much unnecesary work for something irrelevant. Right? ;)

kop9000 said:

kop9000 said:

But there is only so much you can render in game before it takes a toll on performance. Doing a 200 km stage in DiRT4 would probably end up with single digit FPS

I think that there it is all because of the forest but I think that the forest itself is generated only near the road

kop9000 said:

kop9000 said:

kop9000 said:

I think that there it is all because of the forest but I think that the forest itself is generated only near the road

Just speculation, but I think console restraints when it comes to load times might be one reason.

kop9000 said:

kop9000 said:

kop9000 said:

Either way, CM have made the game and they know their current limitations so making a petition on it is pointless. If they could make it longer and keep the game stable then they would. Paul has already said they want to make them longer so lets just leave it at that and let them get on with it.

kop9000 said:

kop9000 said:

It's not so much performance, but loading times and memory constraints. AFAIK the ego engine needs to load the whole stage into memory, and memory is not abundant for consoles and loading the stages takes a long time. They'd need to rewrite the engine to support dynamic loading for it to work. Which is something I wager they've been looking at, but probably skipped in favour of making your stage.

KevM said:

They've done all they can with the current software. Their Ego engine needs a serious overhaul, or scrapped altogether. But scrapping it means they might lose a lot progress. Hopefully the Evo Studios guys are working on new tech.

nystedt88 said:

i have my fingers crossed for this livery like D3 had

The first thing I did when I saw that picture was look at the snow and trees. I thought it looked pretty good.

bogani said:

kop9000 said:

kop9000 said:

kop9000 said:

Just speculation, but I think console restraints when it comes to load times might be one reason.

Well, then let the console will be 15 or 16 km and on the computer let them make 100 or 200 km

As much as it would be cool to have longer stages, 200 twisty kilometers could take as much as two hours to complete! The mental exhaustion would be crazy meaning most people would end like this:

And those who made it to the end would, most likely, be like this:

And that's will full spare tire storage...

As much as it would be cool to have longer stages, 200 twisty kilometers could take as much as two hours to complete! The mental exhaustion would be crazy meaning most people would end like this:

And those who made it to the end would, most likely, be like this:

And that's will full spare tire storage...

I end up like that after 12kms...

kop9000 said:

bogani said:

kop9000 said:

kop9000 said:

kop9000 said:

Well, then let the console will be 15 or 16 km and on the computer let them make 100 or 200 km

You're not listening, the game engine currently cannot do those sort of lengths. Its got nothing to do with console or PC.