DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Areyouben said:
TOCA Race Driver 4! :blush: 
I would breach the NDA if were to disclose the title of GRiDDy ShOWDOWN... Oops!

Joking ! ! !

I'm really pleased to see a positive response to the F1 game announcement. It is fair to say that F1 2014 was not a good release and was not a good step forward from '13. If the 2015 turns out brilliantly, because all efforts were focused on the next-gen development then hopefully customers will go grazy in stores.

Enough about F1 :)    Will you come back now @justbiglee ?

Areyouben said:
TOCA Race Driver 4! :blush: 
I would breach the NDA if were to disclose the title of GRiDDy ShOWDOWN... Oops!

Joking ! ! !

I'm really pleased to see a positive response to the F1 game announcement. It is fair to say that F1 2014 was not a good release and was not a good step forward from '13. If the 2015 turns out brilliantly, because all efforts were focused on the next-gen development then hopefully customers will go grazy in stores.

Enough about F1 :)    Will you come back now @justbiglee ?
People at the f1 forum want to imprison him there until June so he may not return for a long time... :p

gfRally said:

@gfRally - Wow! I'm confused! :D

I'll share my views on your theories when I get back from work, but my latest theories are:

2 boxes with 6 teacakes = 12 - 12 weeks away from a game release: F1 2014 to be released on October 22nd

@justbiglee tweets about 35 doughnuts on 13th of June 2014 - 35 weeks from that date we end up in February 2015 - release month for the next DiRT :)

woah! Dude your like a profit or something!  October was dead on for F1..  But looks like you are right about waiting till 2015 though..  " :

Now onto new-gen. 2015 will see us release our first title on new-generation platforms... "

:(

But for F1 guys this is really cool:

"The game will launch earlier in the Formula One season and then go onto receive live digital updates. These updates will deliver 2015 content into the game as the season unfolds, ensuring you’ll be competing against the same drivers and teams you watch week in and week out!"

So the F1 season usuallys starts around March, but  2015 might not be realeased a month or so into the season.  

We could very well see some rally game around Febuary.  Hope there is some kind of announcement in a couple of months then.  

OK Just thought I would put this out, @GentleNameMVB and I went back and forth quite a few months ago back in July 2014 when F1 2015 was given a 'soft announcement'  I think we where both on the right track.  

Here are some larger photos from F1:2015  (hope you don't mind @justbiglee)

Pretty cool details

http://blog.codemasters.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/F1_2015_announce_screen_1.jpg

http://blog.codemasters.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/F1_2015_announce_screen_2.jpg

http://blog.codemasters.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/F1_2015_announce_screen_3.jpg

http://blog.codemasters.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/F1_2015_announce_screen_4.jpg

http://blog.codemasters.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/F1_2015_announce_screen_5.jpg

Not sure this is the right thread for F1 pics... but there's something up with those shots: lack of anti-aliasing where the heat haze is (or generally), some Photoshop sharpening that makes it all look a bit super-crisp, and some offset colours 3D effect on the Mexico overhead (look at grandstands on the left, red shift)...

Guess I missed a lot of gossip,... while preparing and rallying my last rally,.. anyway :D 

Small update before we go back gossiping,

We did finished the Tank S Rally 2015, never drove under such tricky slippery  rainy conditions over the small dikes, where there was no room for error or a mistake,... ( the rewind button is not available in real) and we couldn't get out of the water if u dropped down the dike.

Although it was 100% tarmac, we had to cut so much that there was for more than 5 kg of mud around my car, but that do makes it challenging.
We finished 47th overall and 3rd in my class, could have been much better if I had the guts, but I couldn't afford to crash or damage my rally car badly, because of a tight rally schedule and some targets that I have to achieve.

Here a nice photo from the last power stage ( at an Industrial area) 

@VirtuaIceMan true it's not exactly Gossip material, but this is an early glimps of the next gen EGO engine that the next DiRT will be based on, so I thought it was worthy to post here too.  Maybe not, my apologies.

While we are on the subject I stilling  waiting for someone to top Driveclubs rain effects.  Their windshield wiper effect is dead on perfect.  

[Edited for excessive typos, usual excuse of posting from my phone]

The next gen EGO engine will tear the other engines alive and apart in term of hardware optimisation, and graphical magnificence; the engine itself  is quite light and sweet!

June release was pretty much the period I saw Codies bring that new EGO engine out, but I really hoped that new DiRT would come before the F1 did...
Beginning to think that I may need to upgrade my graphics cards for D4!!!

@justbiglee 's Codies Weekly Update made a welcome return this week! Unfortunately, nothing DiRTy is mentioned, as understandably Codies want everyone to focus on the F1 game and the released info.
http://blog.codemasters.com/community/03/codies-weekly-update-27-03-25/

Although there's nothing specific on DiRT the text below caught my attention:
Next week we’ll be starting a new era for Codemasters, so expect to be seeing much more behind the scenes stuff. We’ll be introducing you to some of the awesome men and women who work here and hopefully letting you all get to know us all little better.

I certainly like the sound of the above :) A bit more from Lee from a forum post:
We're looking forward to be able to talk more about it all soon but it's such a big part of the game we don't want to flood all our information out at once then have some of it get lost which is why we do it in stages. 
We'll be talking about game modes, the handling, the physics, online modes, we'll have videos, interviews and loads of other stuff between now and launch, I just ask that you all be patient for the time being.

It's great that the team is addressing views of many that more can be done on communication about Codemasters games and development. Hopefully, some of that will rub off onto the DiRTy side of things :)

Guess I missed a lot of gossip,... while preparing and rallying my last rally,.. anyway :D 

Small update before we go back gossiping,

We did finished the Tank S Rally 2015, never drove under such tricky slippery  rainy conditions over the small dikes, where there was no room for error or a mistake,... ( the rewind button is not available in real) and we couldn't get out of the water if u dropped down the dike.

Although it was 100% tarmac, we had to cut so much that there was for more than 5 kg of mud around my car, but that do makes it challenging.
We finished 47th overall and 3rd in my class, could have been much better if I had the guts, but I couldn't afford to crash or damage my rally car badly, because of a tight rally schedule and some targets that I have to achieve.

Here a nice photo from the last power stage ( at an Industrial area) 

dude email me photos to post on the DiRT Facebook Page!

Sorry for the double post but my house my rules... :P 

As usual here is an update on my week.

...............I have no idea what happened this week, it has all be one horrible blur, I think I announced F1 2015? (sorry it wasn't DiRT)
I'd be interested to hear what you guys think of how we announced it and the way the information was delivered. Think about what you'd like done differently for DiRT and let me know, its real important you're honest so don't worry about upsetting me or anything like that.

ummm what else happened... I kick my V4 plan off on Monday (finally), it'll be baby steps at first but I'm super excited to set it rolling - I've got my new style sorted and picked a new blue (you can see it now on the Codies FB and Twitter pages). Expect to be seeing a lot more of the development team very soon.

Finally got to hang out with Paul and Darren for a bit today, we played a new thing in a new thing. It was very cool but I performed very badly.

Sorry DiRT has been so quiet, I'll admit that F1 has taken up more of my attention than planned as has helping train Mark (new guy) up and get him up to speed. I'll go drop you some gossip to find somewhere now to make up for it.

Hugs and Kisses

https://twitter.com/justbiglee/status/581604724631302144

Hmmm.... A 9 minute long stage? (not for Lee though... :D )
That's what we are talking! :smile: 

justbiglee said:
...............I have no idea what happened this week, it has all be one horrible blur, I think I announced F1 2015? (sorry it wasn't DiRT)
I'd be interested to hear what you guys think of how we announced it and the way the information was delivered. Think about what you'd like done differently for DiRT and let me know, its real important you're honest so don't worry about upsetting me or anything like that
I think the announcement was overall very good and the screenshots were impressive! The new information you announced on the podium sequences and broadcasting style seem really cool! However, you have been saying how this new F1 game is completely brand new and that we should think of it as a totally different game? I don't think the announcement really showed that to be honest and the screenshots looked relatively similar to what we've seen before.

So personally I would have loved to have seen a short teaser trailer of some sort with some actual gameplay! Even if it's about 30 seconds, that would have been awesome, but showing this new broadcasting feel to the game could have been good. I'm sure you're gonna show it off in more detail soon though.

I'm looking forward to seeing what your ideas are for the strategy/plan. I think people would just love to see as much information coming out as possible. Some big talking points people seem to want to know about is what career mode is like and if there will be a formation lap?

Darhour said:
The next gen EGO engine will tear the other engines alive and apart in term of hardware optimisation, and graphical magnificence; the engine itself  is quite light and sweet!
@Darhour I do hope you're right. And I expect that you are.
Ginginho said:
June release was pretty much the period I saw Codies bring that new EGO engine out, but I really hoped that new DiRT would come before the F1 did...
Beginning to think that I may need to upgrade my graphics cards for D4!!!
@Ginginho Yeah, I'm planning to upgrade this August, too. Although, said upgrade has been planned and delayed a few times now... but no more! I must have my rig ready for this game, and to (hopefully) push the engine's particle systems to their limits, as I did with the last one.

I'd be interested to hear what you guys think of how we announced it and the way the information was delivered. Think about what you'd like done differently for DiRT and let me know, its real important you're honest so don't worry about upsetting me or anything like that.

As I have mentioned before I liked the fact that the focus of announcement was on the core game elements: physics-based handling model and, I like eye candy, a step in visuals. Of course there's no way that can be proven other than putting the game in people's hands, but mention of specifics (tyre model, vehicle dynamics) is a good start. Perhaps there will be some technical video diaries to explain more? I'd love that! Put in some equations and I'll be in heaven :)

I understand why the announcement focused on new things and changes - why waste people' short attention span on not so exciting news.

I agree with @PeteTheDuck that in terms of composition the screenshots were a lot like what we were shown in the past. They look great, but I can't shake off the feeling they were carefully selected and pimped up. I would prefer that among exterior screens there would be some actual screenshots of the cockpit or chase cam. It may be that the game is not polished enough to show such views yet or that FOM denied it! 
An announcement trailer, even a short one, with cars whizzing by interrupted with a brief shot of the actual gameplay cam would make the fans disproportionately excited.

So all in all I think the announcement showed that Codies are beginning to get it, but it could have used a bit more 'KABOOOOM' special sauce with gameplay screens or short clips.

When it comes to how I would like to see a DiRT game announced I think a teaser video or a really tasty shot of a car spraying gravel is a must. DiRT 3 reveal trailer was rather awesome BUT it was not in-engine, it was pre-rendered. For an announcement well edited clip with actual replay and in-car views would get me embarrassingly excited.

Just like for F1 2015 I would want the announcement to highlight enhancements in the game core: handling, environments and approach. If the developers wanted to achieve a great level of authenticity that needs to made very clear. If the developers wanted to create a combination of DiRT and GRID 2 - go back to the drawing board...

I can see how difficult the life gets for @justbiglee when the people keep asking questions, for which he knows the answers, but he doesn't want to reveal it yet so that there's something to talk about for the next two months. I have no idea how to avoid this issue... maybe give people a schedule of when blog posts/videos/live steams will happen so that they can the comfort of knowing that the issue they care about will be addressed and explained? 

I had a quick look through Lee's organge DiRT notebook when I had the pleasure of visiting and it looks good :) I have the faith :)

I'll go drop you some gossip to find somewhere now to make up for it.

:O  :D

An announcement at a big gameshow might be a good idea to get inmediately attention from a big audiance. Than show a great trailer or live gameplay. On the other side you have to share the attention with other games aswell, but presentations aren't mostly on the same time so that's not a big issue.

@justbiglee take some time and watch this video. Might bring you some ideas how to present the company and the games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sioZd3AxmnE

Besides that, think about how you can use your 'disadvantages' as an advantage. F.e. you are a small company compared to EA, You could present CM as a family company where the employees know each other very well, are passionate and more open to eacht other and therefore more creative. They are also not seen as numbers, but as persons. This might not be the best example, but I think you understand what I try to tell.

JorritVD said:
An announcement at a big gameshow might be a good idea to get inmediately attention from a big audiance. Than show a great trailer or live gameplay. On the other side you have to share the attention with other games aswell, but presentations aren't mostly on the same time so that's not a big issue.

@justbiglee take some time and watch this video. Might bring you some ideas how to present the company and the games: 
Besides that, think about how you can use your 'disadvantages' as an advantage. F.e. you are a small company compared to EA, You could present CM as a family company where the employees know each other very well, are passionate and more open to eacht other and therefore more creative. They are also not seen as numbers, but as persons. This might not be the best example, but I think you understand what I try to tell.
This was a very impressive video, thanks for sharing.  It can be applied to so many things in life, too.  I would agree it is a way for Codemasters [ @justbiglee ] to approach their marketing.  It is NOT an easy thing to do, this really requires some deep thinking about your purpose on the earth :) as a company.

How about this: 

Dirt, it's the foundation of dry land.  
We cultivate it, we grow our food in it.  
We build houses with it, we play in it.
Its in our human composition, its where we finally rest.  

Dirt is what we find when we clear a path
Paths that lead us to great places, 
Places called Monte Carlo, Pikes Peak, and Dakar

DiRT4...  its part of us, its part of us all

Well, thats what I would do :smiley: 

Spotted this on the D3 Steam forums, no idea if its legit or not.

Nvidia SLI profile for DiRT4

http://steamcommunity.com/app/44320/discussions/0/618457398975477368/

Don't know if that one is fake but I found it as well in my settings :>

On the subject of revealing thing: Just make a teaser trailer like this one and you should be good. I think I have said it before but it still sends shivers through my spine (the good kind). :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MgSPOgcUyQ

To go into specifics, the sound is really what gets me, and the timing with the music at the end. You have a lot of dedicated THiNG fans here at the forums, so give us a small shout-out in the teaser, like an explanation of one of your riddles and then.. please just take my money. Cheers! :)

I may be experiencing deja-vu or just getting old and forgetful, but here is some youtube videos with interviews on and before DiRT3 release.  

Here is a playlist of stuff that I found relating to DiRT3:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFNAAVk9YzKtWl2lp2QPfCc1QNu7xASPi

Some recognizable faces here and there. Sad to see some..  This is just a bit of the better videos that I have found
Have to say I appreciate Kris Meeke's enthusiasm.  If you listen to Kris carefully there are some slip-ups about things that didn't make it into the game.  

BTW: Is Paul always this chatty?  :smile: