DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

kop9000 said:

Well, then let the console will be 15 or 16 km and on the computer let them make 100 or 200 km

It's not that much a question of  'Could it be done?' but rather 'Should it be done?'.

Have you played Test Drive Unlimited? There was a race called the Millionaires challenge, where you had to drive 190km, it took me about 45-50 minutes (don't remember exactly), but that was with a hypercar doing over 300km/h for most of the time driving on highways.
If you haven't played it, I'd suggest you give it a try, and while you're at it, do the race twice in a row, because that's how long it would take to do a rally stage of that lenght (and probable even longer than that)
What you're proposing is doing that with cars, that top out at half the speed doing it on roads where your average speed often doesn't go past 100km/h all while paying 100% attention to your co-driver because one mistake and it's game over

Didzis said:

kop9000 said:

Well, then let the console will be 15 or 16 km and on the computer let them make 100 or 200 km

It's not that much a question of  'Could it be done?' but rather 'Should it be done?'.

Have you played Test Drive Unlimited? There was a race called the Millionaires challenge, where you had to drive 190km, it took me about 45-50 minutes (don't remember exactly), but that was with a hypercar doing over 300km/h for most of the time driving on highways.
If you haven't played it, I'd suggest you give it a try, and while you're at it, do the race twice in a row, because that's how long it would take to do a rally stage of that lenght (and probable even longer than that)
What you're proposing is doing that with cars, that top out at half the speed doing it on roads where your average speed often doesn't go past 100km/h all while paying 100% attention to your co-driver because one mistake and it's game over

I played that race on TDU2 and actually really enjoyed it lol. I had a 30min split time and I think I did it in an Audi TT so it took me about an hour and a half but yeah doing this in a rally car would be very painful on the old arms.

Didzis said:

kop9000 said:

Agreed. If I remember rightly the WRC currently limits maximum stage length to 80 kilometers and even that would be a huge challenge for gamers. 100 - 200 Km is, in my personal opinion, an unrealistic and rather ridiculous request. 

kop9000 said:

bogani said:

kop9000 said:

kop9000 said:

kop9000 said:

https://www.change.org/p/kickup-longer-track-in-your-stage?recruiter=716029805&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=share_twitter_responsive

No offense but... a change.org petition? Seriously?

At this stage it's impossible to increase the stage length any further. A new evolution of the engine would be required for increased stage lengths. That said, even with new tech, 200 km stages? That's a bit ludicrous of a demand, don't you think? No stage in the WRC, today, is anywhere near that long, what you're suggesting is a Dakar game. Paul has already said that he'd prefer to make a separate game to do Raid events justice.

But 15 or 16 km is very little

But there is only so much you can render in game before it takes a toll on performance. Doing a 200 km stage in DiRT4 would probably end up with single digit FPS

I think that there it is all because of the forest but I think that the forest itself is generated only near the road

Just speculation, but I think console restraints when it comes to load times might be one reason.

You're not listening, the game engine currently cannot do those sort of lengths. Its got nothing to do with console or PC.

Let it then switch to a new engine

kop9000 said:

kop9000 said:

bogani said:

kop9000 said:

kop9000 said:

kop9000 said:

https://www.change.org/p/kickup-longer-track-in-your-stage?recruiter=716029805&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=share_twitter_responsive

At this stage it's impossible to increase the stage length any further. A new evolution of the engine would be required for increased stage lengths. That said, even with new tech, 200 km stages? That's a bit ludicrous of a demand, don't you think? No stage in the WRC, today, is anywhere near that long, what you're suggesting is a Dakar game. Paul has already said that he'd prefer to make a separate game to do Raid events justice.

But there is only so much you can render in game before it takes a toll on performance. Doing a 200 km stage in DiRT4 would probably end up with single digit FPS

I think that there it is all because of the forest but I think that the forest itself is generated only near the road

Just speculation, but I think console restraints when it comes to load times might be one reason.

You're not listening, the game engine currently cannot do those sort of lengths. Its got nothing to do with console or PC.

I hope you're trolling 

kop9000 said:

kop9000 said:

bogani said:

kop9000 said:

kop9000 said:

kop9000 said:

If it only was that easy.... But they would probably have to remake the entire game just to fit it to a new engine. 

kop9000 said:

kop9000 said:

bogani said:

kop9000 said:

kop9000 said:

kop9000 said:

I hope you're trolling 

no

Also, not just consoles limiting it, but also I'm pretty sure that not everybody runs pc's capable of running something like that effectively. That makes it quite a niche thing, especially when you're considering who would actually want to do a stage that long (judging by this thread, not many).

kop9000 said:

Sure thing m8!
Lemme just make a quick phone call to my friend Harry Potter, I'll ask him if there is a spell to create a whole new engine in like 5 or 10mins instead of several years........

I'm sorry but now you're just being outright ridiculous...

dgeesi0 said:

well the mod we are talking about is actually a great one couple it with semtin which is a really tight car width road on asphalt the way the car moves over bumps and uneven ground is close to reality.one thing dirt misses is when you jump or go over uneven ground it feels flat . on the mod you can feel both sides of the car reacting through the steering.

this is the track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYARYzYiT6E

while the graphics are bad the feel is great. im hoping Dirt 4 has that feel on the asphalt .

also the width of the track really adds to rally.this really needs to be addressed as it gives a better perspective to speed and danger when its tight.

The Semetin stage in AC is a carbon copy of the Semetin stage created for RSRBR and is an exact recreation of the Semetin stage that was used in the 2009 Barum Rally Zlín. I've driven it on both titles in the past and somehow I liked it more in RSRBR with an NGP car.

I remember doing 20-30 minutes stages in Rally Championship 2000.
It was a massive pain in the ass since pretty much always you've had electronic or other problems. At night it was almost impossible to drive without headlights. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXOq0ud0KWs

Bluestig said:

As much as it would be cool to have longer stages, 200 twisty kilometers could take as much as two hours to complete! The mental exhaustion would be crazy meaning most people would end like this:

And those who made it to the end would, most likely, be like this:

And that's will full spare tire storage...

I end up like that after 12kms...

I can do this in 200 meters, no need for 200 km. Sit and watch, it's gonna be quick.
[Proceeds to take the Audi quattro out for a spin in Finland]

While I'm waiting for dirt 4 tell me what else there are rally games where roads can be generated other than the game v-rally 2

kop9000 said:

While I'm waiting for dirt 4 tell me what else there are rally games where roads can be generated other than the game v-rally 2

None as know of.

bogani said:
I feel bad for the devs doing all these road measurments while visiting the locations. So much unnecesary work for something irrelevant. Right? ;)

You can always rely on a fellow forum-user to twist your words to mean something totally exaggerated...

@KickUp himself would tell you, the stages were never claimed to be anywhere near Inch-perfect, but what they are, is damn good interpretation of the routes they are based on.

My Opinion tells me the car model could feel 'much bigger' on the DiRT Rally stages to fit.  Maybe they scaled them down to make the game less challenging?  Strangely, Monte is the total opposite though.

To me, it feels like you are in a tiny car at a million mph currently.  I'd rather go slightly slower but need to work harder to be more precise...

Just my two cents!  :)

Am I right in thinking the actual stages from Germany, monte, Finland and Greece from dirt rally cannot be transferred to dirt 4 as they are real life stages and now require licensing?

it would be great if the locations could still be added so we could then use stage creator on them.

orherwise agree location DLC's are a must, maybe some left field choices like ypres, valais, Manx, African safari - these could really set it apart from the other rally titles 

Just imagine Germany as a location for Your Stage but  with vineyards instead of the Panzerplatte... *drool* :)

sqdstr said:

Just imagine Germany as a location for Your Stage but  with vineyards instead of the Panzerplatte... *drool* :)

Why not both? And in CMR5 Germany had some forresty bits too

nystedt88 said:

i have my fingers crossed for this livery like D3 had

even if is not there i intent to convert my 8k version from DR to D4

Didzis said:

sqdstr said:

Why not both? And in CMR5 Germany had some forresty bits too

Yup. A map that contains both a vineyard area and a military training area. Stages will generate somewhere on the map :)

Africa or Argentina would be pretty awesome as new locations  <3

kop9000 said:

kop9000 said:

Sorry, but what your statement is based on? Because it cannot be the knowledge. How do you think various titles can handle open worlds? You have not to render whole map to show only a small part. Also, there are techniques called 'streaming' which allows to load objects on the fly...
Next, single objects in DR as well as D4 are not unique. These are re-used multiple times to build the map. So this is only a question of repeating stuff.

Another argument: community was asking for longer stages for D:R already. D4 works based on newer engine but CM provided no longer tracks. It's not matter of either engine or nowadays computing power of game rigs. IMO it's all about game infrastructure which has some limitations (ie object counts, counters constraints etc). It's sa same like stupid limitation in number of setup slots. Even if computers offer potentially unlimited number of stored setups, they made 10 slots and don't want to change that for some reasons.

Let's say it straight: it is their decision rather than computers limitation.

P308R said:

Africa or Argentina would be pretty awesome as new locations  <3

Seventh time I try posting this without the quotes getting meßed up:

I'd LOVE to rip through El Condor someday. It was disappointing to find that nobody had even tried to recreate it in RBR.