DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

nystedt88 said:

@KickUp

can we change tire pressure in tuning options aswell?

Unless something changed very recently I'm pretty sure that's a no.

@KickUp With the game golden, have you guys decided which classes R2, R4 and R5 will race against?

Rygar86 said:

Im wondering if anyone knows if the new Audi in Dirt 4 (the yellow and white one with spoilers everywhere) is supposed to handle pretty much the same (or identically?) to the one in Dirt Rally that it is replacing? I think it has a shorter wheelbase for one thing, so Im imagining it might feel quite different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RKFLkP-WEM&t=115s

The wheelbase of the S1 (the car in DiRT Rally) and E2 is the same. Aside from the aerodynamics, the E2 was a different car under the skin: the engine was revised and the drivetrain (including the gearbox) had been altered, so it's a very different car to the S1. According to the drivers of the era, the E2 was a right sod to drive, so it should be fun in DiRT 4!

it will be interesting how the big audi handles.in dirt rally was like driving a canal boat :D.the noise it made though was awesome. B)

Same wheelbase, but more aero.  If it handles more like the D:R PP Quattro than the Rally one, I'll be happy enough

Tbh the Audi isn't a big car, I'm pretty sure the '01 Impreza is bigger. But yes it sounds incredible, I spent half an hour the other day looking at videos of it just for the sound alone!

the audis look bigger cause of the big arches and such.impreza is indeed quite a bit longer.

Rygar86 said:

Im wondering if anyone knows if the new Audi in Dirt 4 (the

yellow and white one with spoilers everywhere) is supposed to handle

pretty much the same (or identically?) to the one in Dirt Rally that it

is replacing? I think it has a shorter wheelbase for one thing, so Im

imagining it might feel quite different.

I think the wheelbase is the same as the one in DR, as that is the short wheelbase version.

Handling-wise I'd imagine it to be slightly different, especially at speed - but not an awful lot. It should be noticably quicker though.                                                      

Rygar86 said:

Im wondering if anyone knows if the new Audi in Dirt 4 (the yellow and white one with spoilers everywhere) is supposed to handle pretty much the same (or identically?) to the one in Dirt Rally that it is replacing? I think it has a shorter wheelbase for one thing, so Im imagining it might feel quite different.

I think the wheelbase is the same as the one in DR, as that is the short wheelbase version.

Handling-wise I'd imagine it to be slightly different, especially at speed - but not an awful lot. It should be noticably quicker though.

I liked how the Audi felt in DR. Powerful and a bit sluggish. 

bogani said:

I didn't like how it handled the jumps, myself, it felt a bit exaggerated compared to its real-life counterpart (judging by rally footage). I think it should be better in D4 with the improved aerodynamics though.

bogani said:

I didn't like how it handled the jumps, myself, it felt a bit exaggerated compared to its real-life counterpart (judging by rally footage). I think it should be better in D4 with the improved aerodynamics though.

Oh yeah the aero of it is completely wrong, it was way too light in this sense which I think was to make it slide like it does IRL. It was the tradeoff made at the time but this sounds like its been properly fixed in D4 so I'm excited

dgeesi0 said:

it will be interesting how the big audi handles.in dirt rally was like driving a canal boat :D.the noise it made though was awesome. B)

My Dad had an Audi Quattro (A8), we called it The Barge. Because it handled like one, big, lazy, wallowy, BUT... press the accelerator and WWWRRRRRMMMM, tyre shredding, 4 wheel drifting at 120mph and the last (and first) time my Dad let my mate drive the barge.

dgeesi0 said:

My Dad had an Audi Quattro (A8), we called it The Barge. Because it handled like one, big, lazy, wallowy, BUT... press the accelerator and WWWRRRRRMMMM, tyre shredding, 4 wheel drifting at 120mph and the last (and first) time my Dad let my mate drive the barge.

Someone from work said their friend had a Quattro (think it was an '87 one) which he stacked on a country road, to much speed and understeer apparently!

a8 and the audis we discussing are quite a different car.looks on drive at RS4 :D

bogani said:

Put it this way, first things I noticed when playing dirt 4:
-Increased braking distance and improved braking feel.
-Better airborne physics, and general aerodynamics improvements
-Much better stage edges, you can actually take realistic cuts in Wales without being launched into the sky!

Love the increased braking distance. Going to make a huge difference!

Oh yeah, it really does! You really have to concentrate on the brakes a lot more now, felt a lot more realistic.

I should have mentioned the other thing I first noticed was the familiarity from dirt showdown (just kidding, dirt rally), it has the same sim feel.

bogani said:

-Much better stage edges, you can actually take realistic cuts in Wales without being launched into the sky!

Oh yeah, it really does! You really have to concentrate on the brakes a lot more now, felt a lot more realistic.

I should have mentioned the other thing I first noticed was the familiarity from dirt showdown (just kidding, dirt rally), it has the same sim feel.

The braking distance isn't quite as long now (well, January when I last played it) as it was in November, its been tightened up but I think its an improvement as the distance felt too long and we were all going off the track lol

bogani said:

The braking distance isn't quite as long now (well, January when I last played it) as it was in November, its been tightened up but I think its an improvement as the distance felt too long and we were all going off the track lol

Okay, now Im a little confused.

Does the braking in D4 require a lot more distance than DR? As in, "D4 has much weaker breaking" or is it still pretty similar?

Im also wondering is the engine braking (from gearing down) as strong as it was in Dirt Rally? And if so does it blow engines now?

Also, having already played Dirt 4 before any of us, I think I speak for everyone when I say:

I hope your foot hits the last step of a staircase slightly before or after you expected it to.
I hope you really have to sneeze, but you lose it and can’t.
I hope your burrito has a glob of sour cream off to one end.
I hope someone drives slightly slower than you’d like on a busy road.
I hope you enter a room and forget why you went in there.
I hope your shoe has something pointy stuck in the tongue.
I hope your pants get a little bit wet on the bottom and it transfers to your socks.
I hope you pour a bowl of cereal and remember there's no milk in the fridge.
I hope your shift-key is a little sticky and your spacebar doesn’t quite work every time.
I hope your laptop dies right before you plug it in.

On a slightly more serious note though, Why didnt you both get an obscene amount of rally footage for us? :D

I constantly scan for new D4 articles after the Hockenheim RX event, but no luck so far!

bogani said:

I constantly scan for new D4 articles after the Hockenheim RX event, but no luck so far!

Bogani is ready to pounce...

(good work Bogani! Please report back soon with critical mission intelligence :D )

Rygar86 said:

bogani said:

Okay, now Im a little confused.

Does the braking in D4 require a lot more distance than DR? As in, "D4 has much weaker breaking" or is it still pretty similar?

Im also wondering is the engine braking (from gearing down) as strong as it was in Dirt Rally? And if so does it blow engines now?

Also, having already played Dirt 4 before any of us, I think I speak for everyone when I say:

I hope your foot hits the last step of a staircase slightly before or after you expected it to.
I hope you really have to sneeze, but you lose it and can’t.
I hope your burrito has a glob of sour cream off to one end.
I hope someone drives slightly slower than you’d like on a busy road.
I hope you enter a room and forget why you went in there.
I hope your shoe has something pointy stuck in the tongue.
I hope your pants get a little bit wet on the bottom and it transfers to your socks.
I hope you pour a bowl of cereal and remember there's no milk in the fridge.
I hope your shift-key is a little sticky and your spacebar doesn’t quite work every time.
I hope your laptop dies right before you plug it in.

On a slightly more serious note though, Why didnt you both get an obscene amount of rally footage for us? :D

Sorry! The braking distance is further than in DR but for RallyDriven's benefit because I don't think he's played it since then, its not as far as it was when we did the playtest. That was too far and it was like being on ice a little but its been tightened up to be challenging still but more realistic :)

That poem is really dark xD And in hindsight, I wish I had gotten footage (well recorded on my camera anyway) at the announcement event but wasn't quite sure what we could and couldn't share of the afternoon so decided against it since I wasn't media. Learn't for next time :P

I'll hopefully be going to Lydden Hill for the WRX so assuming CM are going to be there, I'll try and get some footage (won't be direct capture, just camera fyi)

KickUp said:

@KickUp May i ask, Ford Focus 2007 with Castrol livery is Made custom buy team? Or is it "oficial livery"
2) there was https://twitter.com/Hatward/status/859795215481229312 suggestion the game is gone gold.

That means Car deals are closed so the question is, 307cc or C4 :)?

1) Castrol livery is made by the team
2) no 307 or C4

Did that mean: No 307 generell, or no 307 for the launch of D4 with hope to an DLC? :wink:

Dear Dirt 4 playtesters, may the lord hate you and all your kind. May you turn orange in hue, and may your head fall off at an awkward moment.