DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Also, for all of you Gossipers who are also redditors, the incredible @versedi and his extraordinarily impressive internet skillz has re-skinned and revitalised https://www.reddit.com/r/dirtgame/ - take a look and give it some love! :) 

Honestly though, massive thanks @versedi - I'm useless with HTML and you've made our subreddit look amazing - and a bazillion times better than P Cars' one. :P 

I just noticed, I was scrolling down the page then pressed page 2 and everything changed haha. Looks fab!

bogani said:

<3 Beautiful!                                                                                                                      

I'm glad this version is in instead of the DR one, much prettier front end :)

Have I missed something? This is the Impreza S7 WRC from DiRT Rally, isn't it? 

tbtstt said:

bogani said:

<3 Beautiful!                                                                                                                      

I was also puzzled  :o

@KickUp  @ChristinaMc

Wenn Dirt4 launches in the beginning of June will there immediately be a day one patch with fixes and changes that didn't make it before the game went gold?

I was also wondering if after release it would be possible to have a kind of freecam within a certain distance around the car or is that very time consuming and difficult to implement in the EGO-engine and the way D4 is set up?

Last question: In the new "Be Fearless" trailer I didn't see Sébastien Loeb. Was he too hooked on D4 or was it because he was camera-shy? 

tbtstt said:

bogani said:

<3 Beautiful!                                                                                                                      

I had in my head a different design more similar to the 2002 standard Impreza, haven't played it for a while lol. I remember the front looking more like the '03 but with the bugeyes. Man I'm so tired lol

P308R said:

@KickUp  @ChristinaMc

Wenn Dirt4 launches in the beginning of June will there immediately be a day one patch with fixes and changes that didn't make it before the game went gold?

I was also wondering if after release it would be possible to have a kind of freecam within a certain distance around the car or is that very time consuming and difficult to implement in the EGO-engine and the way D4 is set up?

Last question: In the new "Be Fearless" trailer I didn't see Sébastien Loeb. Was he too hooked on D4 or was it because he was camera-shy? 

1. Yup! 
2. Hard to say at this stage - I would err on the side of caution and say probably not, but it's something on our radar :)
3. We filmed this out at Loheac last year, and alas Seb Loeb Rally Evo got in the way!

tbtstt said:

bogani said:

<3 Beautiful!                                                                                                                      

I had in my head a different design more similar to the 2002 standard Impreza, haven't played it for a while lol. I remember the front looking more like the '03 but with the bugeyes. Man I'm so tired lol

Never attempt to identify an Impreza when fatigued! :smiley:

Exterior shots look exactly like the S7 WRC in DiRT Rally to me. As @Jepsertti has spotted though, the interior has been revised and looks correct now. I wonder if the audio for the S7 WRC has changed as well? 

OFF TOPIC: The bugeye Impreza is widely acknowledged as the worst looking generation of Impreza and, although the WRCar was a huge improvement I still think it's the worst looking of all the WRC Impreza (I'm awaiting a dislike from @Rallycameraman for that line!)...

...having said that, the fact it was the car that Burns won the Championship in and given that the McRae-era Focus is in game, I think the S7 WRC is the perfect car to appear opposite the '01 Focus. Yet another car I can't wait to play with in DiRT 4!

It's the '03 or the '07 Impreza WRC for me personally, I'm not very keen on the bugeyes but I'll drive it I guess ;)

In terms of looks it's S5 (1998), S11 (2005) and S12b (2007) for me. I'd say the S5 is probably the most iconic looking rally car of the modern era, but I'm torn between the S11 and S12b for second place! 

Wales in the dry looks so good! Looks just like real life summer Welsh rallies like the Nicky Grist stages or this weekends Plains rally

tbtstt said:

It's the '03 or the '07 Impreza WRC for me personally, I'm not very keen on the bugeyes but I'll drive it I guess ;)

In terms of looks it's S5 (1998), S11 (2005) and S12b (2007) for me. I'd say the S5 is probably the most iconic looking rally car of the modern era, but I'm torn between the S11 and S12b for second place! 

I like the S11 but I prefer the wing without the extra thingy things in it (don't know what they're called)

Jumping looks sweet!

bogani said:

Jumping looks sweet!

Now I can floor it over jumps and not worry about becoming the next Neil Armstrong ;)

I also find the Bugeye the most ugly Impreza.
My most important Subaru-wish got fulfilled though with the 2015 R4 STI :)
Best looking WRC Impreza would be the 06 and 07 ones, the Hawkeyes. The 07 would make a nice playmate for the Mk2 Focus RS too....

Well with multiclass events being a thing soon, I will probably drive the Evo VI most against the 01 cars wherever possible. They competed against each other and from my information the Evo has a sequential box too, so it would be more similar to drive to the 01's than to the rest of Grp A where I have to use my H-Shifter. (... technically not 'have to' but why should I own a shifter If I wouldn't wanna drive the cars the way the real ones work)

bogani said:
Yeah, we won't get graphics in GTS level. Not even on PC. Polyphony always had the most realistic lightning and color palette when it comes to graphics imo. Photo realism is usually just a silly term, but it's getting quite close.

Hmmm... I always wonder why do a lot of people here say lightning instead of lighting? You guys have been playing Final Fantasy XIII a lot lately? Or maybe DriveClub in a thunderstorm? xD :D

As to getting graphics, PC is one massive paradox. We get the most processing power and yet the games are horribly optimised, full of bugs (often weird ones), crash a lot and what not. And there's of course the "grandma's laptop" battalion nowadays known as #PCMasterRace which doesn't help things.

On a more "on-topic" note (that's heresy here, I know), I don't like the whole "Fearless" thing. That is for me one massive BS. There's no such thing as not feeling fear. It's how our brains work, it's a part of us humans that we can't remove. The important part is to not let that fear influence our decisions in a wrong way. You should in fact try and control your own fear so that you can take advantage of it and know better where the limits are.

bogani said:
Yeah, we won't get graphics in GTS level. Not even on PC. Polyphony always had the most realistic lightning and color palette when it comes to graphics imo. Photo realism is usually just a silly term, but it's getting quite close.

As to getting graphics, PC is one massive paradox. We get the most processing power and yet the games are horribly optimised, full of bugs (often weird ones), crash a lot and what not. And there's of course the "grandma's laptop" battalion nowadays known as #GLORIOUSPCMasterRace which doesn't help things.

Fixed that for you ;)

bogani said:

Hmmm... I always wonder why do a lot of people here say lightning instead of lighting? You guys have been playing Final Fantasy XIII a lot lately? Or maybe DriveClub in a thunderstorm? xD :D

As to getting graphics, PC is one massive paradox. We get the most processing power and yet the games are horribly optimised, full of bugs (often weird ones), crash a lot and what not. And there's of course the "grandma's laptop" battalion nowadays known as #PCMasterRace which doesn't help things.

On a more "on-topic" note (that's heresy here, I know), I don't like the whole "Fearless" thing. That is for me one massive BS. There's no such thing as not feeling fear. It's how our brains work, it's a part of us humans that we can't remove. The important part is to not let that fear influence our decisions in a wrong way. You should in fact try and control your own fear so that you can take advantage of it and know better where the limits are.

I didn't even think about it. Point taken. Ofc it's lighting ;)

Yea the Fearless thing is a pure marketing gimmick. I don't care for it but I understand why they use something like that.

bogani said:

As to getting graphics, PC is one massive paradox. We get the most processing power and yet the games are horribly optimised, full of bugs (often weird ones), crash a lot and what not. And there's of course the "grandma's laptop" battalion nowadays known as #GLORIOUSPCGAMINGMasterRace which doesn't help things.

Fixed that for you ;)

Nope. Now it is fixed ;)

bogani said:

The difference is knowledge. Devs know exactly what hardware is in a console and what OS runs it and can get all the info they need. So you can really optimise your software/game for that particular system to use all the ressources. With PC you kinda need to compromise, because you don't really know what people are running and which OS. Of course you want to get your system req down to reasonable levels and so you try to find a sweet spot of good performance and good all-roundability with running. Every CPU and every GPU works slightly different, but the OS and drivers take care they all get feeded in an understandable way. But that never quite tickles out the last bit of capabilities if you not write your software for that piece of hardware.
Generally speaking

bogani said:

Thanks for clearing that up! It is what you get when "English" is not your native language ;)

tbtstt said:

I like the S11 but I prefer the wing without the extra thingy things in it (don't know what they're called)

The slats in the rear wing came in on the S9 (2003) car. The whole wing was painted on the S9, the slats and leading edge of the top of the spoiler were unpainted on the S10 onwards. 

Would be really nice to get some realistic racing footage because I haven't seen anything really impressive apart from visuals, while I remember first trailer of Dirt Rally got me interested.  

P308R said:

Thanks for clearing that up! It is what you get when "English" is not your native language ;)

It's not my native language as well :p I'm simply a grammar nazi xD

SkyRex said:
The difference is knowledge.

Not really. I mean in terms of optimization and getting the most out of what you have, sure, but the main reason is, as always, dem moneyz. Console exclusives get backing from Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo. Now from who the PC exclusive titles will get backing? Intel, nVidia (I don't count AMD since they have issues staying afloat as it is)?
And that's exactly why the multiplatform titles from big publishers look better on the PCs but even then they still look worse than the console exclusives, at least on the Sony side. The publisher will push for the best possible visuals on the consoles that can be achieved without spending ages on optimising, and the PC side will get higher resolution textures, shadows, better form of Ambient Occlusion, more particles etc. Essentially things that can be thrown in without spending too much resources.

From what I can tell, only nVidia and Epic tries to push for better visuals in PC games. The former does it with GameWorks, the latter with Unreal Engine 4. However even though both provide support to the developers that use their tech, it's not the same as Sony/Microsoft sending in their own engineers to help with the development.