DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

I'm just glad CM are targetting 60fps, this is essential for racing games especially sims and I just hope is adopted by all other devs.

Good performance and great visuals are possible, The Witcher 3 proves that. It just needs the effort put into it and they're not even a big developer but the difference is they're not a 'production line' developer as I like to refer to EA and Ubisoft. I say that, I buy pretty much every Ubisoft game that comes out due to liking them but they are far from perfect and bug free

+1 to a hawkeye Impreza in DiRT 4. It has been like a "signature car" of the Dirt series to me since Dirt 1. I would love to see it return (even if it was only as a group N car).

On another note, Petter mentioning his codriver when talking about his accident in the trailer made me think - wouldn't it be cool to have Phil Mills as an optional codriver in Dirt 4? Maybe it's just me, but the kind of "rhythm" the guy's got delivering pace notes is pretty awesome! I'd even consider his delivery... like...quite enjoyable to listen to.
https://youtu.be/jpDSPhECTSA?t=18s

@kickup (Sorry for the DLC-related question)
If you guys were to decide to work on DLC for Dirt 4, would additional codriver-options even be something you would consider "feasible" to produce as DLC?

bogani said:

<3 Beautiful!

Nice work btw @urgaffel ;)

Cheers :) There are some nice shots in that trailer showing off my stuff

+1 to a hawkeye Impreza in DiRT 4. It has been like a "signature car" of the Dirt series to me since Dirt 1. I would love to see it return (even if it was only as a group N car).

On another note, Petter mentioning his codriver when talking about his accident in the trailer made me think - wouldn't it be cool to have Phil Mills as an optional codriver in Dirt 4? Maybe it's just me, but the kind of "rhythm" the guy's got delivering pace notes is pretty awesome! I'd even consider his delivery... like...quite enjoyable to listen to.

If you guys were to decide to work on DLC for Dirt 4, would additional codriver-options even be something you would consider "feasible" to produce as DLC?

Yes, new voices is something I would like to do. The system should allow us to do it if the business decides to go ahead with additional content. 

KickUp said:

Yes, new voices is something I would like to do. The system should allow us to do it if the business decides to go ahead with additional content. 

Can we put suggestions forward? Brian Blessed could be fun ;)

Flykas said:

Would be really nice to get some realistic racing footage because I haven't seen anything really impressive apart from visuals, while I remember first trailer of Dirt Rally got me interested.  

I have a feeling that whatever they show, you will stay unimpressed.

KickUp said:

You know who we want as co-driver. Paul Coleman in Jesus robes. 

Trailer looks sweet!
edit- lol why does the forum censor the name of the son of God? The hell?

KickUp said:

You know who we want as co-driver. Paul Coleman in **** robes. 

Trailer looks sweet!
edit- lol why does the forum censor the name of the son of God? The hell?

The forum must be an atheist. :mrgreen:

KickUp said:

Thank you for answering, that sounds interesting indeed :)

Now I feel a little bad not having asked you whether you'd consider coming out of "retirement" yourself in this case as well, as I really enjoyed your codriving in Dirt Rally.
I think you provided the most immersive in-game pace notes to date in Dirt Rally (I can actually see myself somewhat confused not having "you" trying to keep me on stage in Dirt 4!). A lot of Dirt Rally's "intensity" on stage was greatly influenced by your pace note-delivery (+ you being shaken about while recording them), I feel. Quite intrigued how close Dirt 4 will be able to come to D:R in this respect, as the notes have to be "pieced together" a lot more, as far as I understand it.

If we change our Player Name to 'Sammy Please' we should unlock this guy as our co-driver...
https://youtu.be/e-ldnoCx4SQ

It's the '03 or the '07 Impreza WRC for me personally, I'm not very keen on the bugeyes but I'll drive it I guess ;)

Your'e all mad, '95 Impreza FTW!

KickUp said:

Can we put suggestions forward? Brian Blessed could be fun ;)

Legendary Paul Coleman!
Seriously, I've got used to your voice @KickUp so much that I'll have hard time switching ;)

Rygar86 said:

It's the '03 or the '07 Impreza WRC for me personally, I'm not very keen on the bugeyes but I'll drive it I guess ;)

OK fine, that's on there as well (actually my favourite car in DR to drive lol) 

If we change our Player Name to 'Sammy Please' we should unlock this guy as our co-driver...
https://youtu.be/e-ldnoCx4SQ

Its Samir, not sammy!

KickUp said:

Thank you for answering, that sounds interesting indeed :)

Now I feel a little bad not having asked you whether you'd consider coming out of "retirement" yourself in this case as well, as I really enjoyed your codriving in Dirt Rally.
I think you provided the most immersive in-game pace notes to date in Dirt Rally (I can actually see myself somewhat confused not having "you" trying to keep me on stage in Dirt 4!). A lot of Dirt Rally's "intensity" on stage was greatly influenced by your pace note-delivery (+ you being shaken about while recording them), I feel. Quite intrigued how close Dirt 4 will be able to come to D:R in this respect, as the notes have to be "pieced together" a lot more, as far as I understand it.

Thank you. That means a lot. We've done our best to make the notes flow as well as possible in DiRT4 and they do flow really well. Nicky Grist brings back many happy memories for those of us who loved the McRae games.  

Rygar86 said:

I concur. I Just wish we could get mcraes real livery with 555 on it.

Scyy said:

Rygar86 said:

We did, not the real 555 but the censored one at least.

On a more "on-topic" note (that's heresy here, I know), I don't like the whole "Fearless" thing. That is for me one massive BS. There's no such thing as not feeling fear. It's how our brains work, it's a part of us humans that we can't remove. The important part is to not let that fear influence our decisions in a wrong way. You should in fact try and control your own fear so that you can take advantage of it and know better where the limits are.

I have to agree but also disagree with you here. The term fearless is a bit of a misnomer, all people feel fear in dangerous situations unless they are insane. But what it often refers to is bravery or perhaps supreme courage despite adversity. So in the world of marketing, fearless just sounds a lot better! Big games that cost a lot of money to make need marketing and they have to create something to sell the brand and the product and spark folks imagination and get them excited.

I personaly think that 'fearless' works very well for a Rally game and is very appropriate to the sport. Because to me Rally (not Rally Cross) drivers are the bravest in all motor sport, as they deal with the harshest of roads and conditions and every time they get into the car they step into the 'unknown' more than an circuit driver ever has to. To do what they do at the highest level, to me is quite extraordinary, because they have to be very brave, very skilled, very determined and also a little bit mental!

Are we fearless when we are playing a game? Not really, but it speaks of the mentality and commitment that even the 'player' needs to get the most fun out of a game like this and so I think they did a good job with the approach that they have taken. The word fearless in english conjurs up these kinds of thoughts and ideas of heroic acts or endeavors that we all seem to admire and most of us wish we had the plumbs to do  :p

After all, games are usually about being the hero ;)

Hence this...

sqdstr said:

Scyy said:

Rygar86 said:

We did, not the real 555 but the censored one at least.

Whoops, that's all I meant was the non censored one.

@Rygar86 well said.
I wonder if it is called Sisu mode in the Finnish version of the game.

Thanks @WhiteWagon :) Yes it should be called Sisu mode in all versions ;)

I also wish they had a 'Sisu achievment' for driving particularly "bonkers" while still managing to win  :p

Scyy said:

Whoops, that's all I meant was the non censored one.

We won't, because of the reason it got censored in the first place. Tobacco and alcohol ads are not allowed and 555 is a brand of tobacco 

Since there's still 27 days to wait and I'm angry at R6 devs for wiping out Polish season I've been searching for something to take my mind of the waiting.

Ladies and gentleman. Dungeons 2 is for free on HmblBndl (remake of famous Dungeon Keeper)

im doing the same twiddling fingers and thumbs impatiently but nothing much to play.