DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

after seeing the show Live stream from yesterday, may i ask @KickUp
1) After saing that we will get reward livery for few models, is there going to be reward any kind  "official" livery for Ford Focus 2007?
2) will there be more then 8 patern (last build at Barcelona Event had only 8) for team branding?
3) there was few liverys  "blank colour" cars (for example white Fiesta), are we able to change colour or is it for evey car other combination of  blank colour?
thanks for Your time

@kickup You missed my question :(
one more question, Its great to have some kind of tribute for Colin McRae and Richard Burns, But have You tought about posibility tribute for one of best Co Drivers,  Michael "Beef" Park, Sadly his Life ended to early..  maybe Car or livery from his best days with Markko Martin ?

Agree we should do something. 

Seriously, I haven't been this excited for a game since I was a kid. And this is by far the best and nicest community I've taken part in.

Cheers to you all. And thank you dev team for interacting with your fans the way you do. You truly set an example for the rest of the gaming industry.

I'm also a bit drunk.  :#

Kenny1962 said:

Can somebody please confirm that there is the tv cameras only for replays and they don't switch to incar or helicopter view ect.

At about 4:20 of the recent Dirt Show video, Paul is confirming that heli camera is rolling through whole stage, so you can chose it for whole replay. The same for cocpit cameras.

KickUp said:

Knew I forget something... 

@KickUp will radiator damage be able to lead to a blown engine? And will other components such as gears boxes, suspension etc get more damage in dirt 4? If a blown radiator lead to an engine going flat in dirt rally I never experienced it.. or a gear box going awol..

You can refill the radiator at the roadside but it adds a bunch of time to your Stage. Radiator damage does lead to more engine wear but whether it ends up being critical depends on the scenario. 

Ok, what about the other bits? Blown shocks effect handling? Jumping and landing. Gear box going out? Gears not able to be used or engaged as quickly? Brakes over heating and loosing their strength or stop working altogether?

KickUp said:

Knew I forget something... 

@KickUp will radiator damage be able to lead to a blown engine? And will other components such as gears boxes, suspension etc get more damage in dirt 4? If a blown radiator lead to an engine going flat in dirt rally I never experienced it.. or a gear box going awol..

You can refill the radiator at the roadside but it adds a bunch of time to your Stage. Radiator damage does lead to more engine wear but whether it ends up being critical depends on the scenario. 

Ok, what about the other bits? Blown shocks effect handling? Jumping and landing. Gear box going out? Gears not able to be used or engaged as quickly? Brakes over heating and loosing their strength or stop working altogether?

Yeah, breaks fade would be nice to have!

1000 pages *is* impressive.

https://twitter.com/Kick_Up/status/866000042209013761

@Kickup hey you know what else has 1000 of something? 
The Mille Miglia.
*cough expansion pack or DLC cough*

SamRWD said:

Yeah, breaks fade would be nice to have!

Brake fade over long downhill stages would be pretty cool, especially in Spain.

zissakos1 said:

I really hope DLCs will be created. This game has so much potential.

If there's one thing I'd like to see in DLC, it's hillclimb. Would be great with Your Stage, although I don't think the algorithm can produce good mountain roads.

BTW I think it would be nice if we could hear that high pitch sound you get when watching RL onboards, at least during replays ;)

https://youtu.be/5jcvxKMHN6w

zissakos1 said:

I really hope DLCs will be created. This game has so much potential.

To celebrate the 4 digit page numbers and my agreeing with this above, I shall once more strengthen the Argentina campaign:
With the five locations and virtually endless stages, the most rewarding new location would be with a different surface. The most different kind of surface to the ones we get would be very heavy gravel.
The most spectacular stage and rally would obviously be the Azores Airlines Rally... but I see that the Crater stage (which makes part of the awesome factor) would probably hard to emulate with YourStage and would require huge draw-distance.
So the next best heavy gravel location, and actually featured in the WRC, is Argentina !
A lot might call for Rally Safari or Finland, but I think surface and driving-wise it would be very similar to Australia / USA(keep the stage-length limit in mind guys), so Argentina would add the most spice to the collection of locations.

But on another note I highly agree with @bogani , this is by far the best gaming-community I've ever been part of !

And tremendous compliments to everybody @Codemasters for being an example in the industry. Unrelated to DiRT 4 itself, the whole community interaction from CM is how game devs should be. Actually responding to the fans and hearing their ideas and complains to create even better products. And actually being able to say "no, we won't / couldn't do this and that, because... " gives your most caring customers and fans the insight to why decisions were made and why some things are how they are. Actual Team-Members like @KickUp openly answering specific questions about an upcoming game here and not just press-department realeasing snippets of generelized information is great policy and great care for the enthusiast-base of fans which you gathered through DiRT Rally. I'm no huge F1 fan, so can't gather the whole of CM, but judging by the DiRT Team:  You are currently by quite a margin my personal absolute favorite game-developer out there. And I'm not "only" playing niche sim-racing as my hobbies, On the gaming side, unrelated to cars or racing, this means you are as a developer currently above names like Colossal Order, Kunos Simulazioni, Rockstar North, Naughty Dog, Kojima Prod., Io Interactive or Frontier Developments.
So CM, keep that track going, I think I speak for everybody here with this:

Just kidding, this is it, goes to all of the DiRT Team and this awesome community:

Brake fade is never fun to have, just FYI ;)

You'd have real problems translating it/the feel to a game anyway, not great.

Unfortunatly on board recordings are not great for hearing a lot of the sounds you can hear in a rally car, a lot of the stuff we hear on the onboards are artifacts of the recording hardware isntead of what oyu can hear in car.

Unfortunatly on board recordings are not great for hearing a lot of the sounds you can hear in a rally car, a lot of the stuff we hear on the onboards are artifacts of the recording hardware isntead of what oyu can hear in car.

Brake fade is as much fun as a puncture, yet if we are after realism we pursue those things too. Fun or not fun. As much as I am not a big fan of pCARS that game simulates it.

As for onboard sounds that's why I was thinking it could be used in replays to give that "recorded" feeling. I bet we are all aware of how recorded sound vs real world sound  differ. On the other hand while we are on that particular sound topic I remember reading some article from a guy who got a chance do drive with Markko Märtin during his time as SWRT test driver, and I recall him saying he actually heard that high pitch noise during his ride.

Brake fade could be added i guess, but it's difficult to justify for feel or gameplay in rally.  More so on track i would imagine, just based on testing and laps etc.

Sound-wise, yeah, would be cool in replays, but the way the sounds work and are mixed, i don't think it would work very well.  You do hear transmission whine in cars, to differing amounts, and we do hear it in DR/D4 too, again, to differing amounts.

SamRWD said:

Brake fade is as much fun as a puncture, yet if we are after realism we pursue those things too. Fun or not fun. As much as I am not a big fan of pCARS that game simulates it.

As for onboard sounds that's why I was thinking it could be used in replays to give that "recorded" feeling. I bet we are all aware of how recorded sound vs real world sound  differ. On the other hand while we are on that particular sound topic I remember reading some article from a guy who got a chance do drive with Markko Märtin during his time as SWRT test driver, and I recall him saying he actually heard that high pitch noise during his ride.

That because the high pitch noise is the gearbox.

They use straight cut gears in there for competition, instead of helical gears like most consumer cars

At high speed, straight-out gears are noisy as hell

Confirmed, we need brake fad! 

Brakes faded 10' too short

If you have the correct specification of brake system on your car you shouldn't really feel the effect of brake fade. Our brakes do wear and become less effective if you don't repair them but it's not brake fade. 

@KickUp In DiRT Rally after stalling the car mid-air with manual clutch the engine didn't turn on when landing even though it should have (the momentum after the jump should make the tires roll again and turn on the engine). Has this been fixed in DiRT 4 because it was quite annoying at times? :)

gfRally said:

This was on the first page @MastaVonBlasta made the first post, and he linked this tweet:

https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/434359333204131841

It has so much more meaning today, then just a cheeky tease back then. :smile:  Heres to another 998 completely off topic posts and the 2 that are truly gossip :joy:

[edit: it was a valentines day thing, but the images still means the same]

Hear, hear. 2000 pages before DiRT 5? 

tbtstt said:

Let's hope it won't be another 6 year wait for the next numbered DiRT installment.

It befuddled me that people were commenting "Another Dirt game???" when Dirt 4 was announced.

ark13700 said:

tbtstt said:

Let's hope it won't be another 6 year wait for the next numbered DiRT installment.

It befuddled me that people were commenting "Another Dirt game???" when Dirt 4 was announced.

D:WRC, it'll be out next year lol

bogani said:

Seriously, I haven't been this excited for a game since I was a kid. And this is by far the best and nicest community I've taken part in.

Cheers to you all. And thank you dev team for interacting with your fans the way you do. You truly set an example for the rest of the gaming industry.

I'm also a bit drunk.  :#

I LOve YOU maAN - nahH SERIOUSLY - I friKIn LOVE you

KevM said:

D:WRC, it'll be out next year lol

Kylotton eat your heart out.
Though a WRC dlc pack + Finland location would be neat, I would spend a pretty penny for that.

I can't wait to stop sticking with Assetto Corsa & actually play Dirt 4. I learned to exploit the setup in that game & understand the reason to stick with stiff spring or why use an understeer setup in the rain. I also understood that those who have access to the game data have an unfair advantage to others.

Tire model is actually bound by temperature margin & contact surface. Like in Monaco in DiRT Rally, the road is actually cold which require a stiff suspension setup for the tire to get faster to operating temperature, while in germany you can't really do it. Seriously, there's no such thing as oversteer & understeer setup. It's either it grip ot not. You are either exceeding the temperature or under it. Obviously you have to balance the temperature for both front & back, etc.

In AC you have the tire app right in front of your face which is super easy to understand how to setup your car. I updated my guide with suspension bit, differential & all(http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=912315488) so I don't have to write down the whole crap that is rarely mentioned or hidden, because they're are afraid to get owned by under age kids & probably lack of pure race craft. It's actually very easy to do.

At least in Dirt Rally especially default on dirt stage is decent enough to not allow those who know how to setup have a massive lead while they lack of driving skill. I will probably explore if I can do it by feel or not, but I'm interested to see if I can somehow manage make result with the knowledge I have learned & hope other may as well exploit it well.