DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

KickUp said:

Confirmed, we need brake fad! 

Brakes faded 10' too short

If you have the correct specification of brake system on your car you shouldn't really feel the effect of brake fade. Our brakes do wear and become less effective if you don't repair them but it's not brake fade. 

Thanks! I am personally fine with getting brake wear only :) I am pretty sure even on WRC events brake fade is an issue from time to time, and with R5 cars it's even more likely to happen. Actually it can lead to crashes in ERC:

https://www.fiaerc.com/102772/

As for D4, I can imagine we will get couple championships with Your Stage generated long and twisty tarmac stages with long legs between Service, but I understand there are more important things to take care of right now. 
Cheers!

RookieOne said:

SamRWD said:

Brake fade is never fun to have, just FYI ;)

You'd have real problems translating it/the feel to a game anyway, not great.

Unfortunatly on board recordings are not great for hearing a lot of the sounds you can hear in a rally car, a lot of the stuff we hear on the onboards are artifacts of the recording hardware isntead of what oyu can hear in car.

Brake fade is as much fun as a puncture, yet if we are after realism we pursue those things too. Fun or not fun. As much as I am not a big fan of pCARS that game simulates it.

As for onboard sounds that's why I was thinking it could be used in replays to give that "recorded" feeling. I bet we are all aware of how recorded sound vs real world sound  differ. On the other hand while we are on that particular sound topic I remember reading some article from a guy who got a chance do drive with Markko Märtin during his time as SWRT test driver, and I recall him saying he actually heard that high pitch noise during his ride.

That because the high pitch noise is the gearbox.

They use straight cut gears in there for competition, instead of helical gears like most consumer cars

At high speed, straight-out gears are noisy as hell

I know what you mean, you can hear the gearbox easily especially on racing onboards, but on rally onboards since you have headset for driver- co-driver comms you can hear high pitched electrical signal, my guess is that it's getting it's power from cars battery, but during the drive there is a generator (not sure if that's the right English term) that produces electrical power ( which is really important since rally cars batteries are small capacity, weight and size models), and how much is produced is dependent on engine revs. You can hear that in some onboards more than on others (usually modern WRC cars don't have this sound as audible than older cars), here you can clearly hear it as soon as Seb and Markus disconnect headsets channel from record cam at the end of the stage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1QmzO0ZhZ0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b5LvNo5qNg

MrDeap said:

I can't wait to stop sticking with Assetto Corsa & actually play Dirt 4. I learned to exploit the setup in that game & understand the reason to stick with stiff spring or why use an understeer setup in the rain. I also understood that those who have access to the game data have an unfair advantage to others.

Tire model is actually bound by temperature margin & contact surface. Like in Monaco in DiRT Rally, the road is actually cold which require a stiff suspension setup for the tire to get faster to operating temperature, while in germany you can't really do it. Seriously, there's no such thing as oversteer & understeer setup. It's either it grip ot not. You are either exceeding the temperature or under it. Obviously you have to balance the temperature for both front & back, etc.

In AC you have the tire app right in front of your face which is super easy to understand how to setup your car. I updated my guide with suspension bit, differential & all(http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=912315488) so I don't have to write down the whole crap that is rarely mentioned or hidden, because they're are afraid to get owned by under age kids & probably lack of pure race craft. It's actually very easy to do.

At least in Dirt Rally especially default on dirt stage is decent enough to not allow those who know how to setup have a massive lead while they lack of driving skill. I will probably explore if I can do it by feel or not, but I'm interested to see if I can somehow manage make result with the knowledge I have learned & hope other may as well exploit it well.

Are you sure tire temps are modeled in Dirt Rally? 

So @KickUp, when designing your own team in D4, can you use a solid color and skip the patterns if you like?

bogani said:

So @KickUp, when designing your own team in D4, can you use a solid color and skip the patterns if you like?

Well. You can choose whatever pattern you like and copy and paste your chosen colour into the four colour slots. It might sound like a pain but each pattern has different sponsor positions so it means you can make your solid colour livery but still have a choice over how the sponsors are positioned. 

KickUp said:

bogani said:

Well. You can choose whatever pattern you like and copy and paste your chosen colour into the four colour slots. It might sound like a pain but each pattern has different sponsor positions so it means you can make your solid colour livery but still have a choice over how the sponsors are positioned. 

Ah, nice. Thanks :)

I have an interesting question. Will tyre sponsors affect the actual tyres? For example if I sign a deal with Michelin will a Michelin logo appear on my tyres?

Here's a visual example to what I mean
http://www.mad4wheels.com/models/2013_Volkswagen_Polo_R_WRC/detail_image.asp?id_pic=367826

I have an interesting question. Will tyre sponsors affect the actual tyres? For example if I sign a deal with Michelin will a Michelin logo appear on my tyres?

http://www.mad4wheels.com/models/2013_Volkswagen_Polo_R_WRC/detail_image.asp?id_pic=367826

I don't actually know. They used to in our previous games. 

@bogani I suppose without it, there would be no physic & wouldn't have an authentic handling. I definitely think the concept is similar. 

A little bit of DiRT4 footage in here, starts at 3:23min. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr9b6OqE-5k

cant wait much longggggggggger :#                                            

dgeesi0 said:

As my mum usually says in those situations: "undress and guard your clothes" :D

KickUp said:

I don't actually know. They used to in our previous games. 

Interesting. I hope it's included then. I really like that feature and it would be cool to see it in the game.

Moar gameplay from DiRT 4, this time Team VVV and Slaptrain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIb5jYj4jSg&t=917s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRzg0oZNBh0

@KickUp Can we actually change the colour of the wheels/rims to match the colour scheme of our livery? I'm also wondering if the Landrush tracks have alternate layouts like in Rally Cross? I hope so, more variety is always a good thing :)

MrDeap said:

@bogani I suppose without it, there would be no physic & wouldn't have an authentic handling. I definitely think the concept is similar. 

As there is no actual tire wear modeled I thought temperatures wasn't modeled either. Just speculation though. Only the devs can answer this :)

Team VVV cheers ! about time we seen a decent video.well done. B)

Job3k said:

Moar gameplay from DiRT 4, this time Team VVV and Slaptrain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIb5jYj4jSg&t=917s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRzg0oZNBh0

I have just fallen in love with that Australia replay with the Delta Integrale <3

Rygar86 said:

@KickUp Can we actually change the colour of the wheels/rims to match the colour scheme of our livery? 

I would like this too. SLRE did it, but the colors on the rims were lighter for some reason and wasn't a very big color choice either. Also would be cool if you could change type of paint for wheels as well, like have it matte, gloss or chrome. A cherry on top would be sponsor spots on wheels (only for tire manufacturers, obviously)

Didzis said:

Rygar86 said:

@KickUp Can we actually change the colour of the wheels/rims to match the colour scheme of our livery? 

I would like this too. SLRE did it, but the colors on the rims were lighter for some reason and wasn't a very big color choice either. Also would be cool if you could change type of paint for wheels as well, like have it matte, gloss or chrome. A cherry on top would be sponsor spots on wheels (only for tire manufacturers, obviously)

Yes, changing paint type would be brilliant as this is available for the body paint too!

Having the ability to change the rim colour would make for a much wider scope of designs for each livery than if we are just stuck with one colour that they choose for you, and then which colour would it be and why that one? You really need to be able to change the colour for it to be a custom. Team livery. Plus the look of the wheels always has a big impact on the look of any car  B)

Rygar86 said:

Didzis said:

Rygar86 said:

Yes, changing paint type would be brilliant as this is available for the body paint too!

Having the ability to change the rim colour would make for a much wider scope of designs for each livery than if we are just stuck with one colour that they choose for you, and then which colour would it be and why that one? You really need to be able to change the colour for it to be a custom. Team livery. Plus the look of the wheels always has a big impact on the look of any car  B)

We wanted to do it but because our wheels use a different system to the rest of the branding suite (due to them changing based on condition) we didn't have the time to support this. One for the future sorry. 

Now that we've reached 1000 pages of gossip, I wonder: if we took all the text, from all the gossip written since the beginning, how many notebooks or rolls of toilet paper would it take to fit everything?

What size/type of font are we talking about here?

SkyRex said:
You are currently by quite a margin my personal absolute favorite game-developer out there. And I'm not "only" playing niche sim-racing as my hobbies, On the gaming side, unrelated to cars or racing, this means you are as a developer currently above names like Colossal Order, Kunos Simulazioni, Rockstar North, Naughty Dog, Kojima Prod., Io Interactive or Frontier Developments.

Snip that down a bit, and you include Kojima as not really talking to fans about the game, which aside from being a very Japanese thing, is basically Kojima's entire shtick of either flat out refusing to say anything, sending people in circles, or kind of just flat out... lying... sort of...
He likes to screw with his fanbase and keep everything secret until release. Look at the cancelled Silent Hills and its P.T. that just showed up on PSN. He even has that kind of stuff reflect in his games. But maybe I'm just a huge Kojima fanboy.

dgeesi0 said:

As my mum usually says in those situations: "undress and guard your clothes" :D

.... I have zero understanding as to what the hell that's supposed to mean....

KickUp said:

Rygar86 said:

Didzis said:

Rygar86 said:

We wanted to do it but because our wheels use a different system to the rest of the branding suite (due to them changing based on condition) we didn't have the time to support this. One for the future sorry. 

Didn't have time for rim paint types or painting the rims in general?

JZStudios said:

.... I have zero understanding as to what the hell that's supposed to mean....

It's quite simple. You undress, you guard your clothers. You're guarding, therefore you're doing something. You're doing something therefore the time flows faster for you.

My mum got her phrases from her mother, so... it's some old school Polish pre-war stuff basically. That one is actually not that bad, some of the other stuff she tends to say... I feel like my brain is sucked out xD