DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

SkyRex said:

@RodgerDavies Thanks for that little insight, still seems like a strange arrangement to me, but I guess yaayh old empires ? XD 
So basically the nations of UK don't have as much independence as federal states, but they feel a lot more distinct to each other than federal states do.(Except maybe Bavaria or Texas...)
And Flag-wise it's whatever floats your boat as long as it's allowed legally. 

Another thing I find strange though, is how Wales seems to be ignored in the union jack. It's a mach-up of all big UK-members except Wales. How hard would've been to put that dragon in the middle of the union jack? :smiley:

The Union Flag was originally created when England and Scotland came together (to save Scotland from self-induced bankruptcy and to save England from Scottish collaboration with the French!). Wales, at the time, wasn't considered a country in its own right, just as it still isn't really, and thus wasn't considered. 

Because Wales has a somewhat non-standard (and very excellent!) flag design, retro-fitting it would be a bit difficult! If Scotland ever achieves independence, expect the subject to come up again.

I agree it's a weird situation that the British make worse for themselves and very confusing, but it's far from unique. Look at the Basque and Catalan regions of Spain, whether Reunion, Mayotte, Martinique and/or Monaco are part of France or whether St Maarten is part of the Netherlands. Not even just Europeans making a mess of it; the US situation with Guam, Puerto Rico, Samoa and others is just as messy!

In fact, look up the difference between the Kingdom of the Netherlands and the Netherlands - that's a fun one!

@KickUp or somone else at CM.. Does the mini rx have new recorded audio of the new 2.0l engine?

New video from PlayStation Acess, about the rally locations and YourStage:

https://youtu.be/19X9WDpgBB8

Azoresst said:

New video from PlayStation Acess, about the rally locations and YourStage:

https://youtu.be/19X9WDpgBB8

Sweden actually doesn't look claustrophobic, I'm impressed :D 

So, in that video at about 00.13 seconds, looking at that black bar where the countries are listed, is the space at the right for an additional surprise location, or for the rally school, or something else, or did Codies just like an asymmetrical arrangement?

I'm not sure this interrogation [/s] of Codemasters staff was posted here, pretty fun reading. 

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Driving-Racing/DiRT-4-Q-amp-A-with-Codemasters-The-Answers/m-p/25037317

BTW. I've dropped an update on /r/dirtgame after gathering the feedback from various users. If you're a redditor you're most welcomed to make a feedback at https://www.reddit.com/r/dirtgame/comments/6cnmjv/second_version_of_new_theme_feedback_thread/

michellem said:

So, in that video at about 00.13 seconds, looking at that black bar where the countries are listed, is the space at the right for an additional surprise location, or for the rally school, or something else, or did Codies just like an asymmetrical arrangement?

Well they are highlighting the second location. I would assume it looks more symmetrical when they go back to the first location. (Australia)

well look at dirt rally and sweden.maybe we will get another location later.

If we do I hope they just repurpuse an old location. So we can get it faster :tongue: And at this point they have quite the library of environments.

If we do I hope they just repurpuse an old location. So we can get it faster :tongue: And at this point they have quite the library of environments.

I can't imagine that old assets are of much use with the arrival of Your Stage. Sure, we'll have Sweden and Wales, and Michigan looks like a re-skinned Finland, but I'll bet the development resources necessary to adapt any existing assets to how Your Stage generates stages probably makes existing assets just a starting point.
Whether we get any DLC locations or not, and how many of them we could get during the life of the game, most likely depends on how involved it really is to adapt Your Stage to new environments. I do hope we get DLC locations. Five is too few. And I would rather have them in D4 and have to pay for them instead of seeing something like D5 in one year's time with ten locations. Even if only three more locations were added we would be at a good level content-wise.

SkyRex said:

@RodgerDavies Thanks for that little insight, still seems like a strange arrangement to me, but I guess yaayh old empires ? XD 
So basically the nations of UK don't have as much independence as federal states, but they feel a lot more distinct to each other than federal states do.(Except maybe Bavaria or Texas...)
And Flag-wise it's whatever floats your boat as long as it's allowed legally. 

Another thing I find strange though, is how Wales seems to be ignored in the union jack. It's a mach-up of all big UK-members except Wales. How hard would've been to put that dragon in the middle of the union jack? :smiley:

The Union Flag was originally created when England and Scotland came together (to save Scotland from self-induced bankruptcy and to save England from Scottish collaboration with the French!). Wales, at the time, wasn't considered a country in its own right, just as it still isn't really, and thus wasn't considered. 

Because Wales has a somewhat non-standard (and very excellent!) flag design, retro-fitting it would be a bit difficult! If Scotland ever achieves independence, expect the subject to come up again.

I agree it's a weird situation that the British make worse for themselves and very confusing, but it's far from unique. Look at the Basque and Catalan regions of Spain, whether Reunion, Mayotte, Martinique and/or Monaco are part of France or whether St Maarten is part of the Netherlands. Not even just Europeans making a mess of it; the US situation with Guam, Puerto Rico, Samoa and others is just as messy!

In fact, look up the difference between the Kingdom of the Netherlands and the Netherlands - that's a fun one!

I saw a ted talks on vexillology and how a flag that's too complex is actually kind of a terrible design. you want it to be simple, easily seen from far away, and still symbolic of the history of the nation.
My personal favorite is Barbados, but I don't know if it has any historical meaning. But it looks awesome, so I'm okay with it.
httpsuploadwikimediaorgwikipediacommonsthumbeefFlag_of_Barbadossvg255px-Flag_of_Barbadossvgpng
Another good one is my state flag, "The copper state"
httpsuploadwikimediaorgwikipediacommonsthumb99dFlag_of_Arizonasvg255px-Flag_of_Arizonasvgpng
According to the trusty Wikipedia, the 13 stripes are the colors of the Spanish while also representing our pretty pretty sunsets. The star is for being the largest producer of copper, and the blue represents the Colorado river.

As much as I don't like Phoenix, their flag doesn't necessarily have any history, but it's pretty clear.
httpblogallkingsflagscomwp-contentuploads201206Phoenix-custom-flagjpg
Otherwise without these rules you get some true stinkers, with many city flags just having the "city crest" posted on it.
For example, my city: (I've never actually seen my city flag, so I don't even know if we really even have one...)
httpwwwcrwflagscomfotwimagesuus-az-tsgif
I just want to dive into that design a little bit...
I really don't know why exactly there's a yin yang thing going on, other than it's a sun and moon thing, and of Mexican origin. The upper half is our glorious downtown sector, all three blocks of homeless and diseased pigeons of it, and the lower half is the San Xavier mission which, while is very old and somewhat famous for continuously being "fixed" and "rebuilt," will never be finished and isn't actually in Tucson. Although I suppose the speed of it's construction does represent the economic growth and overall construction in Tucson so maybe it's deeper than I think it is.
And then of course, there's a lasso, because Westerns am I right?

This isn't a city crest, but it also sucks. Though it actually has significantly more meaning than the Tucson flag, but with all that's going on, how could it not.
httpwwwcrwflagscomfotwimagesuus-wi-mwgif
But many agree on the worst flag.
http99percentinvisibleorgappuploads201602pocatello-proud-to-bejpg

Just to be clear, that thing has a trademark AND a copyright on that sucker.

It is really nice choice to have between being a hired rally driver or to have your own team!
Now i've started to wonder can you still receive contracts etc. from sponsors or other teams even if you have your own team, so you could go for a factory seat or single events (and you could drive cars you don't have money or they are in a class were you don't have a car).
It would be nice to get noticed by another team also ;)

Edit: can't wait to play D4 career!

TuliRally said:

It is really nice choice to have between being a hired rally driver or to have your own team!
Now i've started to wonder can you still receive contracts etc. from sponsors or other teams even if you have your own team, so you could go for a factory seat or single events (and you could drive cars you don't have money or they are in a class were you don't have a car).
It would be nice to get noticed by another team also ;)

Edit: can't wait to play D4 career!

Yes. If you can't afford the car for your team or you just want to earn some extra money then you should nearly always find a team offer available. 

Realistically I would think the quickest DLC locations to implement would be Finland, Germany, Monte and Greece - would happily pay to have these added to D4

michellem said:

I imagine that will be a mountain range in which we can YourStage the hell out of the hillclimb discipline.

P308R said:

michellem said:

I imagine that will be a mountain range in which we can YourStage the hell out of the hillclimb discipline.

I like the idea l, but hillclimb is about learning the route to set the fastest time!

P308R said:

michellem said:

I like the idea l, but hillclimb is about learning the route to set the fastest time!

With the option to disable the co-driver we could easily simulate local sprint events with 2-3 runs on a single piece of road. Would add another challenge :)

did they say anymore on whether we all get to play on the 6th or 9th or is it still tied to usa get it first on the 6th ?

@Rallycameraman, I see you're indulging in some arguments on the Steam forum lately.
So many disrespectful people who have the attention span of a nat and the same amount of brain cells  like a single cell organism.
It's funny to see them lose their temper though!

@Rallycameraman, I see you're indulging in some arguments on the Steam forum lately.
So many disrespectful people who have the attention span of a nat and the same amount of brain cells  like a single organism.

You mean single celled organism right? A single organism could still be a human.

JZStudios said:

So many disrespectful people who have the attention span of a nat and the same amount of brain cells  like a single organism.

You mean single celled organism right? A single organism could still be a human.

Yes indeed. I must have deleted 'cell' when I was correcting my sentence. Thanks for correcting me.

:D                                                                                                   

So many disrespectful people who have the attention span of a nat and the same amount of brain cells  like a single cell organism.

I couldn't resist! It's great fun.