DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Got home from after an exhausting exam and some troubling travel (actually, commute. I basically got very very lost) yesterday to find the DiRT Rally trailer and Early Access announcement!

Got so hyped, bought it almost instantly. Best. Decision. EVER!

Oh, and this one point in the trailer looked surprisingly similar to something I saw in a dream...

Anyway, I've only had the chance to try a couple of stages so far, and I thought I'd just leave some initial impressions here. I'll be putting them on the Steam feedback when I get the chance.

*ahem*

Firstly, great game. Loving it so far. Also, VERY well optimised, unless I'm overestimating the graphics. My PC usually plays games very slightly above PS4 graphics, so since I can almost max it out @1080p, I'm fairly certain the console version will also be so very beautiful.

The stages are nice and long and twisty, handling's great etc. a real step up from the previous DiRT games.

I haven't checked out too many of the settings yet, but I can see that there's repairs between stages and carried damage. UI's nice and simple. 

There didn't seem to be Terminal Damage/Wrecking, but I did see an achievement for wiping out, so I probably just missed a setting somewhere...

I fell the boundary for Auto-Reset is a little to closed when falling off the road. I fell into trees, but got reset before I could tumble through them and possibly knock some over. Also, the timer's too short. Hopefully they'll extend the time to recover before Auto-Reset kicks in, or perhaps remove it altogether, since there's already a button to reset the vehicle should the need arise.

Also, I didn't notice any sign that a car had gone before me. Unless I was the first on the road, in which case it makes perfect sense, but hopefully some of those little details will be present at some point, as well as the cars themselves if they're exceptionally slow, broken down or I'm exceptionally fast (which I'm not) etc.

Thoroughly satisfied by the particle systems. I'll probably still try pushing them further, and perhaps to unrealistically over the top levels, some time after the full release.

Haven't noticed any bugs yet, either. But then again, I've hardly played it so far.

That's all for now. Can't wait for Pike's Peak next month. Loving the game. Thanks so much Codies, DiRT Team! :smiley: 

P.S. Turns out at least part of my translation of drt.exe was correct - DiRT Rally (Team - that part was wrong).exe. Unless they add that part to the name afterwards. I think there is an option to manage a team within the game. Haven't started career mode yet.

P.S.S. When do we get the crazy spectators, animals, optional closed gates, and that farmer who didn't get the memo and started driving his tractor to the fields on a road that was supposed to be closed off for the Rally.

gfRally said:
So can someone let us know what 128 ment?  Or is that still Gossip worthy? 
It might have been the car i posted some weeks ago, as the Fiat 128 rally is in the game.
It wasn't, I don't really want to spoil the party but...
it didn't mean anything, Lee really did have 128 unread emails XD

Jeez ! . . what's with you guys ? . . the "in-house" "closed shop" called Codemasters have finally given us the opportunity to get involved with the development of a game.
I've been involved with pcars for the last 3 years and if CM listen like SMS listened we can get our thoughts across instead of never ending wingeing when CM get it wrong.
Paid for betas, early access etc., is the way it is now, and why not . . isn't being heard and possibly getting the game we want better than endlessly complaining about paying full price for a beta calling itself Gold.

How does anyone know the benefits, savings etc., of getting involved ? . . we don't know how many cars or car packs we will get free for taking part, or tracks or anything else . . but that isn't the spirit of the new way of doing things, it's all about the game, the driving physics, the audio, the gfx . . .I'd rather have one car driving perfectly, perfect ffb etc., than 10 wobbly noddy cars.

I start everything on a positive note, not a negative one, and having been here since 2008 CM have a lot of ground to make up for past mistakes and treatment of its customers, but as long as I see them at least trying to get through the muddy waters I'll hang around.

gfRally said:

@ThierryNeuville 

@RallyDriven 
@Rallycameraman 

Arn't you guys mentioned in the testers credits?  Its right above this.
Yea they are ;)  
You guys shouldn't have signed the No DiRTyGossip Agreement if you want to be in the DiRTy Gossipers section :)

@Justbiglee ,... excuse me Lee , i guess u missed some one of the DiRTy gossipers :O :O :O
Next patch I hope to see my name in there :P

lol.

That made me blush for the first time in ages !

Feel free to add me at steam guys, my account name is: Martijn_vanHoek
Looking forward to compete against u guys! :D
I just logged into Steam to add you, only to find out that you'd beaten me to it :)

gfRally said:
So can someone let us know what 128 ment?  Or is that still Gossip worthy? 
It might have been the car i posted some weeks ago, as the Fiat 128 rally is in the game.
It wasn't, I don't really want to spoil the party but...
it didn't mean anything, Lee really did have 128 unread emails XD
Close... but not quite :wink: 

You guys are in the sections above the gossipers, 'Handling Advisors' and 'Test Drivers'

Given I only have a poverty spec PC (for now  ;) ), could someone make my day and screen grab that please?...

tbtstt said:
You guys are in the sections above the gossipers, 'Handling Advisors' and 'Test Drivers'

Given I only have a poverty spec PC (for now  ;) ), could someone make my day and screen grab that please?...
As soon as I get home, but I think someone will have posted one already by then.

dirt3joe said:

@Justbiglee ,... excuse me Lee , i guess u missed some one of the DiRTy gossipers :O :O :O
Next patch I hope to see my name in there :P

lol.

That made me blush for the first time in ages !
Haha someone's in there twice, but he's not the biggest gossip! :wink: 

I was happy for a few minutes after the announcement.. But now ... i have a ps4 and xbox1 but no gaming PC. And the game may not be release for console. Really dissapointed. They could have offer early access for xbox1. I know Codemasters could have done the deal with Microsoft. If they dont release it for console i will have to buy sebloebrally and wrc5 instead. Im not happy that they cant confirm console release in future. thats not fair from them. All their rally games have been released on console. READ THAT: 
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2015/04/28/dirt-rally-may-eventually-come-to-consoles/

Someone juste posted that there to confirm my fear:

" It was a given that the possibility of a console release was out there, but I doubt it will happen. It’s a simulator rally game, and the prospective console purchases versus the costs of porting likely won’t match up.

Further to that, the game runs on the old Ego engine, so pound to a penny that amongst those moaning it is ‘too boring’ and ‘bring back the old DiRT’, there will be groans of ‘it looks terrible for a next gen game’. Unless the game does really really well on a broader scale, I can’t see it coming to consoles.

PC seems the perfect place to have this game. As someone else mentioned, it feels like a indie/fan-based project to cater for those hardcore racing and rally lovers. "

What I read into it, is that DiRT Rally is the name for the game whilst in Early Access, and once it's "finished" with all the upcoming content, then the game may be ported as a finished product to consoles, maybe even with the name DiRT 4.

renejr902 said:
I was happy for a few minutes after the announcement.. But now ... i have a ps4 and xbox1 but no gaming PC. And the game may not be release for console. Really dissapointed. They could have offer early access for xbox1. I know Codemasters could have done the deal with Microsoft. If they dont release it for console i will have to buy sebloebrally and wrc5 instead. Im not happy that they cant confirm console release in future. thats not fair from them. All their rally games have been released on console. READ THAT: 
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2015/04/28/dirt-rally-may-eventually-come-to-consoles/

Someone juste posted that there to confirm my fear:

" It was a given that the possibility of a console release was out there, but I doubt it will happen. It’s a simulator rally game, and the prospective console purchases versus the costs of porting likely won’t match up.

Further to that, the game runs on the old Ego engine, so pound to a penny that amongst those moaning it is ‘too boring’ and ‘bring back the old DiRT’, there will be groans of ‘it looks terrible for a next gen game’. Unless the game does really really well on a broader scale, I can’t see it coming to consoles.

PC seems the perfect place to have this game. As someone else mentioned, it feels like a indie/fan-based project to cater for those hardcore racing and rally lovers. "

Why is that you only have consoles? I can't find any reason why you should get one in 2015 where the PC is better, cheaper and more practical than a console. Also games are often cheaper and better modified for the PC. 

Lets not turn this into an Xbox vs PS4 vs PC thread, everyone likes different things, I don't have space at home to have a PC rig with seat, pedals and wheel, and my friends also play on Xbox, so that's where I'd like to play DiRT Rally!

What I read into it, is that DiRT Rally is the name for the game whilst in Early Access, and once it's "finished" with all the upcoming content, then the game may be ported as a finished product to consoles, maybe even with the name DiRT 4.
This isn't accurate. Obviously things may change, but for the moment, DiRT Rally is what it is :smiley:

Whoa! I thought this thread will be dead! Why aren't you guys busy playing the game? :D 

Thank you @justbiglee and all Codies involved for putting my name in the credits! It was a nice a gesture :)  Calling me a test driver may be a stretch, but I'll take it :) 

Sometime next week I'll write take the feedback I wrote down for Codies after my visits and put in a post - maybe someone will want to read it. Now everyone can try the game for themselves so it won't contain any revelations :) 

Last night I've read loads of comments and it is good to see such a good response. Having met the core DiRT team and seeing how much they wanted the game people asked for I'm happy it all worked out. 

Hopefully, we'll get hints on content of update packs so we can keep on crazy speculation going :D

Thank you @justbiglee and all Codies involved for putting my name in the credits! It was a nice a gesture :)  Calling me a test driver may be a stretch, but I'll take it :) 
I thought I might be under a "test crasher" subtitle! As said, thanks to @justbiglee and @KickUp for the credit shout out!

This isn't accurate. Obviously things may change, but for the moment, DiRT Rally is what it is :smiley:
I'm really honoured to be in the game credits, or what those screen grabs are :) , but to be perfectly honest I feel like us console gamers deserve a bit of straight talk from you guys at Codemasters. Comments like this, and the FAQ only works to make matters even worse for us. 

I hope you can tell us what the plan is, maybe not today, and maybe not tomorrow, but I am expecting an answer relatively soon on what all of this conflicting information regarding the console availability means. It is kind of hard to distinguish speculation from hard facts when you are using vague formulations like these. I guess my question boils down to this: Is there even a serious intention to release the game on consoles? 

I am only one person in this, but I know a lot of people would be very glad to play a game like this on console. People like me who does not have the room for a gaming rig or the money or whatever. 

I have always been impressed by the openness from Codemasters towards us fans and I do trust you will make things clear to us soon, or at the very least give us some insight into when we can expect a definite answer from you: Will we be able to play this game? Which in my eyes do look like an absolute blast!! 

Cheers,
/Martin 'there is always DiRT3' Pedersen

...alternatively if anybody could go ahead and lend me a gaming rig for the next couple of years until there might be reason for us to pick up this thread again in eager anticipation for DiRT Rally 2, (which I hope you will be able to put onto consoles as well). Preferably one that is small enough to fit between my TV-set and my PS4. ...that would be great!

I should really be listed as 'Audi Quatro roll cage tester'

And I completely agree with the console thing, if you go on Facebook there is clearly a demand for this on consoles. Obviously it's a while down the line, but it would be nice to get an answer

Thanks for the credit, Lee - I didn't deserve it but Lucas is well chuffed :) He's also much, much quicker than me... :/

gfRally said:
thread may as well be closed... unless we can now talk about DiRT5 lol
Nahhhhh this is my favourite thread on the internet! 

(discuss updates or something)