DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Not DiRT related, but it's been announced that Forza Motorsport 7 won't have any Toyota production cars, only racing models. Toyota's licensing is becoming a law unto themselves!
At the same time, we don't get the racing ones either. I heard that's due to the fact that when the employee from Toyota Licencing Office went to Codies HQs, he heard "Wales Rally GB 1998" whispered by an unknown person.
Same thing with Turn10, just this time he saw this photoalongside the famous quote from Enzo Ferrari: "The perfect racing car is the one that breaks down one moment after the finish line" and the hashtag #Toyota23:57

tbtstt said:
Not DiRT related, but it's been announced that Forza Motorsport 7 won't have any Toyota production cars, only racing models. Toyota's licensing is becoming a law unto themselves!
An exclusive license deal with Polyphony perhaps? Be interesting to see what makes it into GT Sport.
Somehow I don't believe that, though they are Japanese, so it could be true. Think Forza 6 and H3 had to skip on VW altogether for some reason.
Real shame, and it's weird that they won't license out the street cars. Even AC has a few. I always liked the MR2, but I don't want to buy an Xbone just for Forza when my wheel won't work with it. Really hope they manage to make the Win10 version actually work.
I might be late on this, but I just noticed the Hyundai R5 rally car is available for purchase as a DLC now 
http://store.steampowered.com/app/437120/Hyundai_R5_rally_car/

The Team Booster Pack is available as well http://store.steampowered.com/app/437121/Team_Booster_Pack/
Figures. And it's the worst possible outcome. Selling the pre-order bonus is always bullshit.

JZStudios said:
tbtstt said:
An exclusive license deal with Polyphony perhaps? Be interesting to see what makes it into GT Sport.
Somehow I don't believe that, though they are Japanese, so it could be true. Think Forza 6 and H3 had to skip on VW altogether for some reason.
Real shame, and it's weird that they won't license out the street cars. Even AC has a few. I always liked the MR2, but I don't want to buy an Xbone just for Forza when my wheel won't work with it. Really hope they manage to make the Win10 version actually work.
I might be late on this, but I just noticed the Hyundai R5 rally car is available for purchase as a DLC now 

The Team Booster Pack is available as well http://store.steampowered.com/app/437121/Team_Booster_Pack/
Figures. And it's the worst possible outcome. Selling the pre-order bonus is always bullshit.
Not sure what you paid for your copy and can't remember what the pre-order price was, but the 2 packs only cost $5 total, not exactly braking the bank, and if  you didn't pay the retail price anyhow, possibly you are still getting the base+DLC for less than the initial pre-order.  Not trying to argue at all, I know DLC is somehow taboo around here, but I don't think its that big of a deal.  

gfRally said:
JZStudios said:
tbtstt said:

Not sure what you paid for your copy and can't remember what the pre-order price was, but the 2 packs only cost $5 total, not exactly braking the bank, and if  you didn't pay the retail price anyhow, possibly you are still getting the base+DLC for less than the initial pre-order.  Not trying to argue at all, I know DLC is somehow taboo around here, but I don't think its that big of a deal.  
Maybe he is coming from a different perspective, maybe he is mad because he wanted the pre-order car, so he bought the game in advnace without waiting for reviews, and is now left disappointed. Would CM have told us that the car will be there as DLC after release he may have ended up not buying the game, but if he liked it he might not mind paying a little extra to get the car.
Preorder just seemed to be a way to secure sales then, if the DLC is available for everyone now, without properly communicating that prior to release.
I'm sure I can find the direct quote from @kickup somewhere in the gossip, but paraphrasingly he said "because of the suits, preorder was the only way to get the car into the game"

To correct your statement @kobeshow, It was said that the quickest way to get the Hyundai R5 was to pre order...

They said it would be available as DLC after release at some point.

kobeshow said:
gfRally said:
JZStudios said:
tbtstt said:

Maybe he is coming from a different perspective, maybe he is mad because he wanted the pre-order car, so he bought the game in advnace without waiting for reviews, and is now left disappointed. Would CM have told us that the car will be there as DLC after release he may have ended up not buying the game, but if he liked it he might not mind paying a little extra to get the car.
Preorder just seemed to be a way to secure sales then, if the DLC is available for everyone now, without properly communicating that prior to release.
I'm sure I can find the direct quote from @kickup somewhere in the gossip, but paraphrasingly he said "because of the suits, preorder was the only way to get the car into the game"

I think he said It was the only way for getting literally un the game, the only way if getting the Money from the game publisher for licencing it, not that it was our only chance of getting it. I think it is fine, people who don't know about the game before it was released now can get the Hyundai, and give some money to Codies in order to licence more content for us :tongue:

kobeshow said:
gfRally said:
JZStudios said:
tbtstt said:

I think he said It was the only way for getting literally un the game, the only way if getting the Money from the game publisher for licencing it, not that it was our only chance of getting it. I think it is fine, people who don't know about the game before it was released now can get the Hyundai, and give some money to Codies in order to licence more content for us :tongue:
The Hyundai would never have happened if it wasn't for the pre order incentive as it was not part of our original budget. 

Some platforms require pre order content to be made available post launch. I can't remember my exact words but I am pretty sure I hinted at the time that it was going to be available at a later date.  

Please Paul, throw us a bone on the handling situation 

KevM said:
Please Paul, throw us a bone on the handling situation 
We don't have an answer on the situation yet. Sorry

So it's just been announced that who will preorder WRC 7, will receive Romain Dumas' Porsche 997 GT3 RS RGT car as a bonus

I unfortunately have to say this is an awesome announcement for WRC7.  Its really too bad Codemasters has so many licensing 'issues' anymore.  If they get the classics into WRC7 then that will make licensing quite the topic in rally related games.  

"Affont!" (WRC players in English will get that one; was still happening in the demo at recent trade show...)
I always wandered what that actually means, got really annoying having a call out that i didnt understand when i tried the wrc6 demo

It's "à fond" and it's the french equivalent for "flat right/left" or a "6 right/left" in Dirt, Seb Marshall was using it while codriving Abbring :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTxvpEk3zxo

It's hilarious that in every WRC 7 video there's always someone in the comments section screaming A Fond! It's kind of become an inside joke for fans of the series.

gfRally said:
I unfortunately have to say this is an awesome announcement for WRC7.  Its really too bad Codemasters has so many licensing 'issues' anymore.  If they get the classics into WRC7 then that will make licensing quite the topic in rally related games.  
How come that a small company like Kylotonn (never heard of them before WRC games) can afford so much licensing, but Codies (my guess, much bigger company) with way more tradition, history and standing and other racing IPs - can not?

gfRally said:
How come that a small company like Kylotonn (never heard of them before WRC games) can afford so much licensing, but Codies (my guess, much bigger company) with way more tradition, history and standing and other racing IPs - can not?
And don't forget Milestone, another small studio. The car list in Loeb Rally Evo is stellar.

Not to mention Kunos with 18 employees.

licensing really needed to be sorted or someone pulling strings somewhere.car games are about the locations and the iconic cars.thats 90 percent of the game. if your rival companies have all the cherries what you going to put ontop of the cake ? a toyota ? :D

seriously noticed quite a bit recently and so do others that many that are making car games have the licenses for the main stuff we wanting.