F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

BadD0g said:
dgeesi0 said:
or its just a dirt rally shot :D                              
Hey, where's your wildly speculative spirit? This thread has been down on the tin-foil hat conspiracy energy lately, we'll take anything we can get.
Unfortunately, the color grading, models, lighting, and background trees all suggest DR. I mean, we could tin foil hat it into something.... but... the energy and charisma just isn't there.

Man, that's a lot of positions open at nearly every level of game development. If I were to take a guess, this is anticipation of a big churn cycle driven by a large amount of employees no longer having the work visas needed to be employed in the UK. But I hope I am wrong, CM losing access to a vast talent pool doesn't bode well for the quality of future titles.

enamel said:
Man, that's a lot of positions open at nearly every level of game development. If I were to take a guess, this is anticipation of a big churn cycle driven by a large amount of employees no longer having the work visas needed to be employed in the UK. But I hope I am wrong, CM losing access to a vast talent pool doesn't bode well for the quality of future titles.
It's for positive reasons :)

tbtstt said:
CMMcBabe said:
CMMcBabe said:
It's for positive reasons :)
GRID??
People always assume "more racing games" and nobody asks for us to finish Hei$t.
It's a new Brian Lara game, isn't it? 
Nah man they're working on a new Pete Sampras Tennis game for sure.

That game was amazing :D

I can't pinpoint the exact thing why I feel this way but it just looks somehow a bit funny how the car behaves on that wrc7 trailer. Like it's sped up or something.

What the...
This screen looks like an RC-car on a farm track. Or according to the car, this Wales country road has the width of almost four lanes.

Anyway, nice video. If only the sounds would be ingame and the cams would be replay...

What the...
This screen looks like an RC-car on a farm track. Or according to the car, this Wales country road has the width of almost four lanes.
What do you expect? Last great game they did was on the PS2.

Never mind, it was just an error in the video and I managed to grab the real screen with correct car size.
Sometimes these videos can get really messed up on youtube.
;)

another game with toyotas in why cant codies get them but everyone else can ? :/

whatever the next rally game is make sure the iconic events courses tracks are in.

The issue you're seeing is that the sound is straight from real life, there is no in game sound there, so they haven't matched up the scene they recorded sound from with the scene they portray in game.

dgeesi0 said:
another game with toyotas in why cant codies get them but everyone else can ? :/

whatever the next rally game is make sure the iconic events courses tracks are in.
I still think YourStage is definately the right direction. Don't go back to just replicate stages from real life. The locations are iconic, not all the stages and not knowing the stage is part of rallying. CM should instead refine YourStage to a point, where you don't feel so much as of now, that you drive a generated stage.

Maybe they should go more procedural and away from the "Tiles" concept. Just starting with a location, without any roads and lay in the roads completely dynamic. Yourstage can alreay vary in height, same tiles can be level, uphill or downhill, just how the stage needs it. So you could start with much smaller pieces of surface, like 1m of road and mold them together dynamically up and down. Once the road is laid into the environment, a second generation process could start to create the roadside. Dynamically placing fences, houses, puddles, spectators, guardrails, significant trees, bushes, logpiles, trucks, cars, etc.  
It already does this at some places, but the size of the tiles is to big, so they feel repetitive.

Right now it's probably easier for the algorithm to find a road as it has a subset of tiles that all fit together in a believable way and can just pick one at random.  If much smaller roadpieces all fit together, they can no longer be put together randomly, as it would end up in a super-messy spaghetti-road, so refining such a believable road-construction-algorithm is probably the difficult part here

What the...

Anyway, nice video. If only the sounds would be ingame and the cams would be replay...
Those trees on the left side look humongous

SkyRex said:
dgeesi0 said:

I still think YourStage is definately the right direction. Don't go back to just replicate stages from real life. The locations are iconic, not all the stages and not knowing the stage is part of rallying. CM should instead refine YourStage to a point, where you don't feel so much as of now, that you drive a generated stage.

Maybe they should go more procedural and away from the "Tiles" concept. Just starting with a location, without any roads and lay in the roads completely dynamic. Yourstage can alreay vary in height, same tiles can be level, uphill or downhill, just how the stage needs it. So you could start with much smaller pieces of surface, like 1m of road and mold them together dynamically up and down. Once the road is laid into the environment, a second generation process could start to create the roadside. Dynamically placing fences, houses, puddles, spectators, guardrails, significant trees, bushes, logpiles, trucks, cars, etc.  
It already does this at some places, but the size of the tiles is to big, so they feel repetitive.

Right now it's probably easier for the algorithm to find a road as it has a subset of tiles that all fit together in a believable way and can just pick one at random.  If much smaller roadpieces all fit together, they can no longer be put together randomly, as it would end up in a super-messy spaghetti-road, so refining such a believable road-construction-algorithm is probably the difficult part here
I thought about  a good concept back then where there was Gossip about a DiRT WRC Game: you could have a location, e.g. Monaco, with a big map where a more refined version of YourStage could generate stages (in Monaco it would be like valley floor so that it wouldn't have too many problems with elevation changes) and then one or two real-life iconic stages (like Col de Turini). This way I think it  would work well

SkyRex said:
dgeesi0 said:

I also like YourStage and hope they will develop it further in the future. I think the current tile system works really well, if I think it this way:

Rally drivers have driven the real stages multiple times during the years. Stages do change, but there are familiar corners and parts to them from the past years. So when I see a familiar part in YourStage stage I think that also real rally drivers do know some parts of the stage, but cannot remember the whole stage.

It's worth mentioning the system Xpand Rally used, and I don't think any other rally game has used it since. They made a large, square map of a location, with a full road network like there would be in the real world, and each stage is created by placing barriers at different junctions to make a route through the map. It certainly has its limitations, but it's an interesting way of doing it.

SkyRex said:
dgeesi0 said:

Can the same tile really vary in elevation? If you reverse it sure, but I'm pretty sure the tile will always be the same elevation?

Never mind, it was just an error in the video and I managed to grab the real screen with correct car size.
Sometimes these videos can get really messed up on youtube.
;)

... I'm really confused... does Wales have giant redwood forests or are they going for the Burnout Paradise toy car thing?
SkyRex said:
dgeesi0 said:

I was initially thinking that they would make the actual locations a permanent thing, then just have the procedural generation lay a road down on the pre made terrain. I feel like you'd have more control over that as well. You could potentially even make checkpoints that the road hits along the way, so you could go city, hills, forest. Instead they went with extremely repetitive tiles.
You could potentially complain that the scenery never changes, but it also never changes with handmade tracks either, so it doesn't matter.

bogani said:

Can the same tile really vary in elevation? If you reverse it sure, but I'm pretty sure the tile will always be the same elevation?
Not every tile, but I've seen some corners go uphill once and downhill second, no reverse, same direction of corner.
I might be wrong sure, could also be there are just some tiles, that are like inverse-tiles of other tiles. But it "felt" like elevation-variattion.