F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

JZStudios said:
Physics looks rubbish, I didnt thought C3 WRC suspension was that bad :D

But stage doesn't look that bad, indeed I would like to give it a go with proper physics  :/ 
Edit: It is wide buuut coming from Kylotton it isn't a 8 lane highway
I can't understand the French, but where the hell is that stage supposed to be? A volcano? Weird landscape to have massive boulders like that all over and cliff faces, but only light gravel.
It's El Cóndor-Copina in Argentina and it's spot on. I've driven it many times in a road car.

And that guy that can't drive straight is actually a good omen for the new physics model. That's exactly what happens to my buddies when they come over and try DiRT Rally.

JZStudios said:

But stage doesn't look that bad, indeed I would like to give it a go with proper physics  :/ 
I can't understand the French, but where the hell is that stage supposed to be? A volcano? Weird landscape to have massive boulders like that all over and cliff faces, but only light gravel.
It's El Cóndor-Copina in Argentina and it's spot on. I've driven it many times in a road car.

And that guy that can't drive straight is actually a good omen for the new physics model. That's exactly what happens to my buddies when they come over and try DiRT Rally.
this drive on arena panzerplatte looks pretty decent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjvF6Mu1PPY

In this video you can hear the actual game sounds, I'm not convinced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c02CqOP61T4

sqdstr said:
I'm amazed people even bother getting hyped over a WRC game in this day and age.

EDIT: loltypo

sqdstr said:
I'm amazed people get even bother getting hyped over a WRC game in this day and age.
Well it shows, that despite all it's flaws, D4 still seems to be the best you can get for Sim-Rallying right now. Or DR if you value acurate stages over limited number.

By the way I wondered: Is the stage length limitation of the current engine coming from like a RAM-limit of not being able to load more than currently possible for the stages? Or is it due to a 32Bit Float precision limiting the necessary precision after a certain distance, therefor requiring a 64bit float engine rewrite?
If it's the latter, wouldn't it be possible to do 20-30km stages by just forcing yourstage to turn around at the area-edge and swiriling around in a confined area ? Would be pretty unrealistic on large-scale, but driving wise it could allow real-life stage-lengths

I am looking forward to WRC 7 since Kylotonn announced that they rebuilt the physics from scratch focusing on steering wheels. I have watched lots of videos and the handling looks to be greatly improved. This game might end up surprising us all.

sqdstr said:
JZStudios said:

this drive on arena panzerplatte looks pretty decent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjvF6Mu1PPY
Looks the same stage that was on WRC 6, & he's using about 9 degrees rotation too!

KevM said:
Looks the same stage that was on WRC 6, & he's using about 9 degrees rotation too!
Of course it's the same stage. It's a recreation of the real one.

sqdstr said:
I'm amazed people get even bother getting hyped over a WRC game in this day and age.
I'm not getting hyped, but seeing as a WRC game is the only chance of playing a rally game with modern WRC cars.
I just keep hoping they will improve the necessary fields (handling, sounds especially) to very decent levels or better...
Unless miraculously we get an announcement that codies took over WRC licence but I don't see that happening either.

KevM said:
The stage streets are probably accurate, but their environmental content (especially trees) often do not represent reality.

to be fair, that looks fairly decent. I won't be buying it, but the stage looks pretty good and the physics don't look half bad either

In my opinion physics are the same garbage as the past years, codemasters are too many steps ahead of actual competition in virtual rally that even its more criticized game (Dirt 4) is miles away from its modern rivals. 

sqdstr said:

The game in this video is WRC 6.

JZStudios said:

Ehh, It just looks like it has a bunch of big random (probably repeated) boulders everywhere. Sure I haven't been there, but in the pictures it looks more like a normal mountain.
I mean, it's still a bit crazy, but not like in the game.
https://youtu.be/Cifepvj_9jE

I think what really gets me is in game there just "happens" to be a road exactly wide enough through the two essential cliff faces down the descent. I don't doubt cliffs or big boulders but a miraculous solid wall of clearly not excavated rock on both sides? Just weird looking.

JZStudios said:
JZStudios said:

Ehh, It just looks like it has a bunch of big random (probably repeated) boulders everywhere. Sure I haven't been there, but in the pictures it looks more like a normal mountain.
I mean, it's still a bit crazy, but not like in the game.
https://youtu.be/Cifepvj_9jE

I think what really gets me is in game there just "happens" to be a road exactly wide enough through the two essential cliff faces down the descent. I don't doubt cliffs or big boulders but a miraculous solid wall of clearly not excavated rock on both sides? Just weird looking.
That fan footage looks like it's from the latter parts of the stage. The WRC games have always focused on the ambiance from the first half of the stage where the boulders and suspension bridges are:

https://youtu.be/7eCm8eTNcBU

sqdstr said:

Sorry to quote you again, but this does seem to be 7, but an old build. It was posted before Gamescom started. I went back looking at old E3 footage and I think it's from E3. Sorry!

[EDIT] OK, call me disturbed, but I really studied this one as it was intriguing. The footage never seemed to be from recent builds of WRC 7. And it's not. It's definitely WRC 6.

1. Video released before Gamescom
  2. Car is 2016 spec
  3. Codriver is still shouting "A Fond!" which has been fixed in WRC 7 (according to comments from E3)
  4. The video has been altered. The splash screen in the very beginning that lasts a half a second is from WRC 7. However, it goes straight to the in-car with a 3-second countdown. The 3-second countdowns only happen if you restart a stage. Normally when you pass the splash screen it is a 5-second countdown. If you play and then restart the stage, it skips the splash screen and goes straight to a 3-second countdown.
  5. Another alteration: the fade-out at the end. WRC 6 goes straight to the results when the stage ends, but WRC 7 has incorporated a DiRT Rally-style slow motion take of the car. I assume the fade out was to avoid showing the end of the stage.
  6. It's supposed to be live onboard gameplay, but where to those two external TV shots come from???

The vid looks to be an ancient build. The plethora of off-screen videos from Gamescom look completely different.

Anyway, who cares if the game will be good or not. As a console pleb, I'm just happy to have four rally games to choose from: DR, D4, SLRE and WRC.

I play the crap out of SLRE doing time trials against Loeb. My DR league is still very active and fun. WRC 6, despite its shortcomings, is fun. D4 I admit is collecting virtual dust on the hard drive; I just don't like it.

It's great, though, to have all these rally games to choose from. Each one has something to offer.

sqdstr said:

Sorry to quote you again, but this does seem to be 7, but an old build. It was posted before Gamescom started. I went back looking at old E3 footage and I think it's from E3. Sorry!

[EDIT] OK, call me disturbed, but I really studied this one as it was intriguing. The footage never seemed to be from recent builds of WRC 7. And it's not. It's definitely WRC 6.

1. Video released before Gamescom
  2. Car is 2016 spec
  3. Codriver is still shouting "A Fond!" which has been fixed in WRC 7 (according to comments from E3)
  4. The video has been altered. The splash screen in the very beginning that lasts a half a second is from WRC 7. However, it goes straight to the in-car with a 3-second countdown. The 3-second countdowns only happen if you restart a stage. Normally when you pass the splash screen it is a 5-second countdown. If you play and then restart the stage, it skips the splash screen and goes straight to a 3-second countdown.
  5. Another alteration: the fade-out at the end. WRC 6 goes straight to the results when the stage ends, but WRC 7 has incorporated a DiRT Rally-style slow motion take of the car. I assume the fade out was to avoid showing the end of the stage.
Anyway, who cares if the game will be good or not. As a console pleb, I'm just happy to have four rally games to choose from: DR, D4, SLRE and WRC.

I play the crap out of SLRE doing time trials against Loeb. My DR league is still very active and fun. WRC 6, despite its shortcomings, is fun. D4 I admit is collecting virtual dust on the hard drive; I just don't like it.

It's great, though, to have all these rally games to choose from. Each one has something to offer.
2016 spec i20 WRC is a 4 door car, the one in that video is definately 2017 spec

KevM said:
I severely doubt it

KevM said:
KevM said:
I severely doubt it
Super special stages in WRC 6 were reproductions of the real WRC stages.

"New for 2016 is 11 of the WRC’s Super Special Stages, held in city streets or stadiums, which are reproduced on a 1:1 scale. As in real-life, they include sequences of spectacular corners and frequently feature two cars competing side-by-side."

Quote taken from 
http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/october-2016/wrc-6-released/page/3953--12-12-.html

Just watched this WRC 7 video showing the Fiesta WRC 2017 on a Monte Carlo stage, but what I found disturbing is that when u look at the end of the stage. There's an exterior view of the Fiesta but it's in gravel spec... ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpnfAvm_Ezo

sqdstr said:
Just watched this WRC 7 video showing the Fiesta WRC 2017 on a Monte Carlo stage, but what I found disturbing is that when u look at the end of the stage. There's an exterior view of the Fiesta but it's in gravel spec... ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpnfAvm_Ezo
I actually like how that Monte stage looks visually.

sqdstr said:
If you find that disturbing, your Google search filtering must be set to 'strict' - lol

KevM said:
sqdstr said:
If you find that disturbing, your Google search filtering must be set to 'strict' - lol
Go ahead and show me some footage of the MC where they drive in gravel spec

sqdstr said:
2016 spec i20 WRC is a 4 door car, the one in that video is definately 2017 spec
Good catch.