F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

JZStudios said:
JZStudios said:
Physics looks rubbish, I didnt thought C3 WRC suspension was that bad :D

But stage doesn't look that bad, indeed I would like to give it a go with proper physics  :/ 
Edit: It is wide buuut coming from Kylotton it isn't a 8 lane highway
I can't understand the French, but where the hell is that stage supposed to be? A volcano? Weird landscape to have massive boulders like that all over and cliff faces, but only light gravel.
It's El Cóndor-Copina in Argentina and it's spot on. I've driven it many times in a road car.

And that guy that can't drive straight is actually a good omen for the new physics model. That's exactly what happens to my buddies when they come over and try DiRT Rally.
Ehh, It just looks like it has a bunch of big random (probably repeated) boulders everywhere. Sure I haven't been there, but in the pictures it looks more like a normal mountain.
I mean, it's still a bit crazy, but not like in the game.
https://youtu.be/Cifepvj_9jE

I think what really gets me is in game there just "happens" to be a road exactly wide enough through the two essential cliff faces down the descent. I don't doubt cliffs or big boulders but a miraculous solid wall of clearly not excavated rock on both sides? Just weird looking.
That fan footage looks like it's from the latter parts of the stage. The WRC games have always focused on the ambiance from the first half of the stage where the boulders and suspension bridges are:

https://youtu.be/7eCm8eTNcBU
see how narror that is and danagerous thats what i always wanted in a rally game yet no one seems to do it unless its a mod.narrowness increases the sense of speed and danger = more exciting.please someone take note !

as for that wrc game lol.looks terrible.

Sweden is narrow & technical in DR, I always liked that about it

yes its not bad but its not like that.the road and how uneven the terrain is also would add so much.

id rather have ten tracks like that than 50 simple ones.

Funny thing, the Sweden stages were made to suit the V2 model and jumps felt nice.  Maybe the stages were the issue regarding the fly-always and not the physics?

JZStudios said:
JZStudios said:
Physics looks rubbish, I didnt thought C3 WRC suspension was that bad :D

But stage doesn't look that bad, indeed I would like to give it a go with proper physics  :/ 
Edit: It is wide buuut coming from Kylotton it isn't a 8 lane highway
I can't understand the French, but where the hell is that stage supposed to be? A volcano? Weird landscape to have massive boulders like that all over and cliff faces, but only light gravel.
It's El Cóndor-Copina in Argentina and it's spot on. I've driven it many times in a road car.

And that guy that can't drive straight is actually a good omen for the new physics model. That's exactly what happens to my buddies when they come over and try DiRT Rally.
Ehh, It just looks like it has a bunch of big random (probably repeated) boulders everywhere. Sure I haven't been there, but in the pictures it looks more like a normal mountain.
I mean, it's still a bit crazy, but not like in the game.
https://youtu.be/Cifepvj_9jE

I think what really gets me is in game there just "happens" to be a road exactly wide enough through the two essential cliff faces down the descent. I don't doubt cliffs or big boulders but a miraculous solid wall of clearly not excavated rock on both sides? Just weird looking.
That fan footage looks like it's from the latter parts of the stage. The WRC games have always focused on the ambiance from the first half of the stage where the boulders and suspension bridges are:

Hmm. It's not terrible, but IRL the road does look more carved and excavated with the dirt mounds and low stone walls that seem absent from the game. Also, most of the cliffs are only on the uphill side and not both, and not usually near the scale shown in the game. And based off that Wales picture, they have an issue with scale.

@JZStudios I think the dwarf car in Wales must be a glitch or something funky in the video. Not even in the horrendous WRC 5 did I see a monstrosity like that.

juu1ius said:
Is it possible, that there was a WRC7 stand in Rally Finland this year?
Yes, there was. Germany, too.

juu1ius said:
Is it possible, that there was a WRC7 stand in Rally Finland this year?
Yes, there was. Germany, too.
Ok, I realy can't make a difference between them. I had a try and on a Portugal (?) stage with 2017 Hyundai. Awful wheel setup, semi-auto gears, but the stage looked nice, not too wide. Drivable  game, acrade for sure, but felt better than WRC5 or SLRE, though I've had limited game time with both of the games. 

juu1ius said:
Ok, I realy can't make a difference between them. I had a try and on a Portugal (?) stage with 2017 Hyundai. Awful wheel setup, semi-auto gears, but the stage looked nice, not too wide. Drivable  game, acrade for sure, but felt better than WRC5 or SLRE, though I've had limited game time with both of the games. 
People that played the setups that Kylotonn brought to the rallies were complaining that assists were on. That's probably why it felt bad.

WRC 5 was an abomination but I must respectfully disagree on SLRE. It is anything but arcade. I find it to be the most realistic handling model of the current crop of rally games. WRC 6, SLRE, DR and D4 are all simcade titles. For me arcade is stuff like SEGA Rally, Ridge Racer and Burnout. WRC 6 leans more to the arcade side while SLRE and DR lean more to the sim side. D4... well, I just don't get what Codies was trying to do with that one. It feels a lot more like SLRE than DR in that it has proper weight transfer but I think it was a rush job so they actually didn't have time to finish the handling model.

I admit that Kylotonn has put out two lackluster WRC games but let's put it into perspective.

First, they should never have agreed to the contract with the FIA to push out WRC 5 within eight months. It's actually amazing that they were able to put anything together at all in that time frame given that they decided to scrap the existing Milestone assets. WRC 6, with only a further year of development, was a huge improvement over the previous title. Improved graphics, longer more accurate stages (if a bit too wide most of the time), improved physics (competent but with many flaws)... The problem is that their reputation was tarnished with WRC 5. I own and frequently play WRC 6 and it's a lot of fun. Obviously I won't go around shouting that it's a rally sim or anything. It's just a fun game and it's cool to have so many stages and the official cars.

So everyone on their Facebook page kept complaining about two things: players want better physics and longer, narrower, more challenging stages. And those are precisely the two points that Kylotonn has said they have been working on over the past year. So WRC 7 will have narrower, bumpier and longer stages (up to 20km for the "Epic Stages"). And they are also talking up the new handling model which, according to the game director, they have rebuilt from scratch focusing on steering wheel users to be later adapted to gamepad. The plethora of videos from Gamescom look pretty good. Obviously I will reserve judgement until the game is released, but you have to admit that Kylotonn seems to be trying their hardest to make a good title. It's not easy to get to the point where they've gotten with only two-and-a-half years of development time, considering normal development time for a single new AAA title from scratch is three to four years. Just look at Codemasters: The EGO engine is, what, fifteen years old? And we are still here complaining about stuff: physics, graphics, lighting, car models, stage length, game modes, lack of content, etc...

We're all rally freaks here and I personally buy any game focused on rally, but I wish a dream team would pop up somewhere to make the ultimate rally game. Here's my dream team:

Physics / Handling / FFB: Kunos
Car Models & Lighting: Polyphony Digital
Graphic Engine: Evolution Studios (supposedly part of Codies now. Wonder what they're working on?)
Licensing: Milestone
Sounds, Pace notes and Presentation: Codemasters
Stage Curation: Codemasters if they can make Your Stage less boring. If not Milestone (for their challenging and geographically accurate stages in SLRE) & Kunos (for their laser scanning).

Note that Kylotonn is not in the dream team. They haven't done anything to deserve it but WRC 7 might turn around their reputation as a rally game developer.

Rally is too niche of a game genre for there to be three developers releasing games for it. I think it will be interesting to see where Codies goes from here. DiRT Rally's greatness was kind of an anomaly. I believe their view was to incorporate DR into the DiRT series through D4. I don't think it's possible for them to continue with the core DiRT series AND DiRT Rally. If we see a DiRT Rally 2 then I think it will mean the end of the traditional DiRT series. There are just not enough sales in this genre to support Kylotonn, Milestone and TWO rally titles from Codemasters.

Kind of off topic here, but did anyone watch the Gravel dev interview a few weeks ago? They show some tech that Milestone is using to create the open-world raid environments. They basically go to some Google Earth-type thingy and click on an area of the globe. That area is instantly curated in their game engine, and the artists go in and add trees, obstacles and other things. I have a feeling we might not be too far away from being able to create stages by just clicking on a road anywhere in the world, and the stage is curated right there with pace notes and all. That would be really cool.

Not gossip but anyone else on here who watches the Grand Tour?
Just watched the season 2 preview trailer on amazon and there was a Martini Lancia 037 in it.

sqdstr said:
Just watched the season 2 preview trailer on amazon and there was a Martini Lancia 037 in it.
I watched the first season and was, for the most part, very disappointed. I hope season 2 will be an improvement, the inclusion of a 037 is a step in the right direction!

tbtstt said:
sqdstr said:
I watched the first season and was, for the most part, very disappointed. I hope season 2 will be an improvement, the inclusion of a 037 is a step in the right direction!
Yeah, GT lost some of the TG flair, it really felt a bit americanized, but maybe they've learned for season 2. Also watched the new TG, which also wasn't as good as the old, but they seem to learn and focus more on Rory and Chris (H. not Evans), who might really make TG their own now.

What I really miss are those specials though. Anyone seen the TG North Pole, Patagonia, Birma, River Nile or Botswana Specials ? Those were the days

SkyRex said:
What I really miss are those specials though. Anyone seen the TG North Pole, Patagonia, Birma, River Nile or Botswana Specials ? Those were the days
GT had one of those, they went to Namibia. Also, on TG they didn't have them every season, more often they happened every other season

SkyRex said:
tbtstt said:
sqdstr said:
Yeah, GT lost some of the TG flair, it really felt a bit americanized, but maybe they've learned for season 2. Also watched the new TG, which also wasn't as good as the old, but they seem to learn and focus more on Rory and Chris (H. not Evans), who might really make TG their own now.

I remember a time when being Americanized was a good thing...  I wish everyone didn't hate the general population (like me) of America so much, sorry if other countries think they are better.  I say we all have our issues, stupid politicians (all of them) and hate, thats planet earths problem.  

EDIT: Sorry... didn't mean to jump on YOU in for the comment, I guess best to stay silent when I'm in a bad mood.. 

Have a nice day

As crazy as it sounds having a rally in a dudebro atmosphere would change things up compared to the other rallies. I'd welcome it.  

As crazy as it sounds having a rally in a dudebro atmosphere would change things up compared to the other rallies. I'd welcome it.  
:open_mouth: you take that back.

edgenz said:
:open_mouth: you take that back.
Never! I will fully admit that I loved the DiRT2 atmosphere. Even Forza Horizon Rally was what got me into rallying in the first place. And that was perhaps, even more, dudebro than dirt2. But the key is to have dudebro in moderation. Too much dudebro is annoying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXmzotWQ3ds

Didzis said:
SkyRex said:
GT had one of those, they went to Namibia. Also, on TG they didn't have them every season, more often they happened every other season
The Grand Tour season 1 special was the turning point in the season to me: I struggled to watch that - and each subsequent episode - as the scripting seemed to be even more painfully obvious with each feature. The editing on the Namibia special was shocking, I know it is supposed to be a bit of fun, but it was beyond stupid in places. 

My highlight of season one, by a considerable margin, was the feature James May did on the GT40: a stunningly shot film on an absolutely beautiful car. 
SkyRex said:
tbtstt said:
sqdstr said:

I thought the second season of "new" Top Gear was a huge improvement. I am a massive fan of Chris Harris, so I was pleased to see him getting a more prominent role. I am sure with more time the banter between them will become more natural (as it did for Clarkson, May and Hammond), I look forward to season three. 

There were a few duds (most notably the Indian special) but some of the TG specials were superb: I think Vietnam is probably my fave!
gfRally said:
SkyRex said:
tbtstt said:
sqdstr said:

I remember a time when being Americanized was a good thing...  I wish everyone didn't hate the general population (like me) of America so much, sorry if other countries think they are better.  I say we all have our issues, stupid politicians (all of them) and hate, thats planet earths problem.  

EDIT: Sorry... didn't mean to jump on YOU in for the comment, I guess best to stay silent when I'm in a bad mood.. 

Have a nice day
In the context of The Grand Tour, I think "Americanized" is a bit unfair. Top Gear features have always been scripted, but as time went on the scripting became less and less subtle. Aside from a couple of features, the last couple of seasons of Clarkson/May/Hammond Top Gear weren't that great. I hoped that with much bigger budgets, they were be able to do more "open" features: if anything, the problem got worse though. As I mentioned above, the Namibia special was painfully obvious throughout.
enamel said:
Just wait till the dudebro DLC hits for D4.
I think they are going to announce an officially licensed gymkhana mode. It's what all the rally fans want.

Time to step away from the steering wheel and go outside. I think you're losing your marbles. ;)

SkyRex said:
tbtstt said:
sqdstr said:

I really wish I knew what you guys meant by "Americanized" considering Clarkson and the gang are all the scriptwriters and the Americans also hate the "American" stuff. GT just feels way too scripted. The part James did on the Ford GT40 was cool.... which Tbsttstttststtststtsts mentioned. So I'll just stop talking.

SkyRex said:
So, now that F1 2017 is out in the open, all the manpower is back at D4. (Does this sentence need a questionmark?)

Can we expect
- Communication / Road Books?
- Bugfixes?
- Odd-feature corrections (more than 4 setup slots, getting the chief engineer meds for his volatile mood, being able to use >85 setups in Dirtfish, etc...)?
- The big physics update?
- Leagues?
- Revealing plans for future DLCs (cars, stages, locations, RX tracks, patterns)?

While I realise that this isn't shedding too much light on the situation, we can definitely say yes to some of these. Once we're in a position to talk about things a bit more, we will - but we'll be ticking at least a few off this list. I know it's frustrating to not hear from us over the last few weeks, but there are things going on behind the scenes - so thanks for being patient with us.
Some actual gossip from the other thread. So in most pessimistic read of that we will definetly get bugfixes, roadbooks, Leagues and odd-feature corrections I guess.
That's what I was thinking too

I would call that interpretation realistic instead of pessimistic. The radio silence is absolutely telling, and the minimal statements we have gotten so far are classic PR speak to maintain plausible deniability. I would love to be wrong, but I don't have high hopes.