DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

KevM said:
https://youtu.be/kPt0_qjNr3k

Stephane Lefebvre doing El Condor on WRC 7

Looks dead on!                               
The only reservations I have is the suspension that doesn't seem to hold up very well, other than that this looks like a major step up.

I'm glad we can talk positively about competing games on this forum without getting banned. I feel like that wouldn't fly on other racing game forums.

bogani said:
KevM said:
https://youtu.be/kPt0_qjNr3k

Stephane Lefebvre doing El Condor on WRC 7

Looks dead on!                               
The only reservations I have is the suspension that doesn't seem to hold up very well, other than that this looks like a major step up.
It is the C3...

I have to say WRC 7 looks pretty damn good actually, the driving physics don't look as hardcore as in DiRT Rally but the general behavior of the car seems quite realistic and if the handling is good (which doesn't necessairly mean 100% realistic) it could be great fun. Visually it has improved a lot and the stages look good and quite realistic and narrow, plus the 'Epic Stages' or whatever they call them are great IMHO. And I'm sorry to say that but they look better to me than those in DiRT 4.
Plus, the team has really stepped up the target if the attention to detail is so important that they realistically reproduced the suspension of the C3 WRC. Now I'm left wondering if Kris Meeke's AI will always overdrive the car...
Talking about AI it might seem stupid but I feel more immersed in a game if the AI I'm competing with has the name of "Sebastien Ogier" rather than "Alvares". Even though I'll get my a** kicked by both of them
That said I might give WRC 7 a go if I find it on sale and the fact that they're getting better only means more good rally games for us and more competition for Codies, so hopefully this will push them to do even better ;)

I don't know about the AI Kris Meeke, but I know who I'll be be choosing to 'drive in the spirit of'...

Sh#te or get off the pot!!! - lol

BadD0g said:
I'm glad we can talk positively about competing games on this forum without getting banned. I feel like that wouldn't fly on other racing game forums.
Not only that, it's also nice to see that on the Codies forum there are people willing to give other games a shot.

Not just on the Codies forum, but on Youtube and sim forums there is way too much fanboy mudslinging. The Forza vs. PC vs. GT arguments are totally out of control. Ditto on the DR vs. D4 vs. WRC 5/6/7 vs. SLRE. Why do so many people have a problem with competition existing in a given genre? I love DiRT Rally, I love SLRE, I like WRC 6. I admit D4 doesn't do it for me but that's just me. I would never spam YouTube videos with crap like "D4 is a total POS long live DR and BTW anything not DiRT Rally sucks because I say so".

Whatever happened to having fun? We know WRC 7 will be simcade but, even more important is that the handling looks intuitive, and fun. That's all I ask for. Intuitive and fun. Who cares who makes the game? I never played RBR but from what I have seen and heard it would be great to have something similar, but as long as we don't have something similar then we have to use what we have to work with, which at this point is SLRE, DiRT and WRC. I own them all and I play them all and I'm happy we have so many choices.

It's very unlikely that we will ever have the perfect rally sim with physics, graphics, licensing etc... all coming together in a perfect package. In the meantime we have to enjoy the simcades that we already have: DR and SLRE leaning towards sim, WRC and D4 leaning towards arcade.

Well, maybe D4 could have been more sim oriented, but I just feel the game was pushed out too early for commercial reasons. The improvements myself and many others perceive in the underlying handling model seem to have been muted by a lack of development time. Even in the pre- and post-launch videos I got the feeling Paul Coleman was suffering inside because D4 was not released in the state he would have liked it to be in. And I think the orders came from above for some reason. It's hard to believe it's the same team that made DiRT Rally. It would suck to be Paul, game director, and not being able to direct your own game because someone at corporate told him "The game comes out in June or else!".

Seems there is some major stuff going on at Codies. This has not been a good year for them. They have never been a company known for good customer relations but 2017 is turning out to be a real disaster.

Micro Machines was released with little content, flawed game structure and lots of bugs (haven't played it, I admit, I'm going off what I read on the forums).

DiRT 4 was released with little content, poor optimization, plenty of bugs (though none really game-breaking thank goodness) and with a handling model questioned by just about everyone. Followed by three months and counting of silence!

F1 2017 is a complete bugfest and also poorly optimized. Though in Codies' defence, it must suck having to release an untested/unfinished/buggy game because the contract demands it and because you spent so much money months in advance reserving ad space at Monza.

So we have seen three major releases this year, all of them with big flaws, all of them followed by radio silence (minus the game-breaking bugs in F1), Cristina saying there are things going on "behind the scenes", the Evolution team is MIA, the company is looking for lots of new staff. What on Earth is going on?

To get back to the origin of this post, I think it's great that Codies lets us compare their games to others on their own forum. It can only help them to read our posts and see how we look at their own games as well as the competition's. Whether they take it to heart or take it with a grain of salt will influence the way future titles are handled. Personally, I am really turned off by Codies right now but I won't abandon them. Ideally we will see the entire DiRT project dropped altogether (leave that job to Milestone's Gravel) and they will decide to proceed more down the DiRT Rally route. After the great McRae games followed by jack-of-all-trade DiRT games, I think DR was the game that the team always wanted to make. And it shows, because it's a wonderful title. Similar to Milestone after WRC 1-4: after playing SLRE, it seems to be the game they always wanted to make. I really hope that the future of the DiRT series does not depend on the Codemasters management because I feel Paul Coleman and his team know what they need to do to make great rally games but he has his hands tied from orders from up above.

Yeah, that's basically the impression I get – they know what they need to do, they want to do it, but don't get given the time or resources. It's a shame because D4 has so much potential to be great.

Attend... ( he's still saying it)

The jump looks a bit strange, like the car gets a boost while already in air.

https://youtu.be/n9NM-wMIcP8

Attend... ( he's still saying it)

The jump looks a bit strange, like the car gets a boost while already in air.

https://youtu.be/n9NM-wMIcP8

Yeah judging by that clip I'm not expecting greatness by any means, but I'll still give it a go, it looks better than WRC 6.

'Definitely don't cut' Neuville needed that note in Sweden!

seriously though, that co driver is terrible. With the rest of the game improved, why did they not get someone better to do the notes?

The stages look great.  They seem to have gotten the essence of each location & the visuals aren't too bad.  I know the cars sound a bit guff, but the wastegate and anti-lag make up for it!  The handling doesn't look too offensive to me.  If you tried a tight stage like that in WRC 6, the lag & lack of precision would have had you up a tree

it looks fun. B)                                           

Seeing as it appears less and less likely that Dirt 4 is going to get much love going forward, may be time to try this one. I gave WRC4 a go because it was a few quid in a sale, but still felt ripped off - hopefully this is a step forward and appears to be heading the right way. Pace notes and general sound are awful though; I'm not sure how they could get the pace notes to sound more disjointed without being recorded by different people. Reminds me of ProEvo commentary from 15 years ago...

Yeah WRC 7 looks far better than I thought it would. I got WRC 6 mostly to check it out but the handling in that title was just too weird. Not expecting wonders for WRC7, but if the handling is decent those long stages might make it a good title.

KevM said:
The stages look great.  They seem to have gotten the essence of each location & the visuals aren't too bad.  I know the cars sound a bit guff, but the wastegate and anti-lag make up for it!  The handling doesn't look too offensive to me.  If you tried a tight stage like that in WRC 6, the lag & lack of precision would have had you up a tree
The Argentina one looked much better than this to me. This one made me a bit skeptical again.

We'll see.

Kind of nice to have more than 4-5 locations, always been that way with the WRC games... but still

Graphics do look good.  Something that I like about D4 is the stage end (pulling up to official) however this is pure cosmetic and has little penalty if you ignore and speed.  

BadD0g said:
Anyone who tries to replicate the motorsports we love in gaming deserves to be celebrated and talked about. We're not going to ban anyone for noticing other games, or other devs' hard work. :)

dgeesi0 said:
thats great of you.many forums i been on would censor you or even ban. B)
There's a reason why I'm only in this forum...

BadD0g said:
Anyone who tries to replicate the motorsports we love in gaming deserves to be celebrated and talked about. We're not going to ban anyone for noticing other games, or other devs' hard work. :)
Thank you very much, hopefully we'll be able to praise your hard work soon ;)