DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Pictures like that need a smooth track of the camera, as well as a fast lens, they're good pics.

Also, that video got increasingly silly the longer it ran :)  Though the suspension setup bugged me throughout, i used to race RC cars when i was young and all i could think was how they messed up the suspension :(

The panning shots are done with slower shutter speeds @JZStudios. Faster shutter speeds will give you sharpness, but there will be no movement in the picture. You track the vehicle with the camera, matching its speed, then click off the shot. If you've got it right the subject will be sharp and the background is blurry. 

I tend to start with a "safe" speed (usually 1/125) and then see how much slower I can go keeping the subject as sharp as possible. Depending on the situation I can usually get to 1/80 or 1/60 before everything becomes a blurry mess. Some people seem to like the excessively blurry style, but I like at least some of the image to be sharp. 

Hmm, i've always kept it fast and the background would blur, i understand i was just lucky, but obviously you risk the subject being undefined if you go too slow.

Yeah, that's the risk @F2CMaDMaXX. You can of course check the shot on the back of the camera, but you never know if it's really sharp until you can look at it on the computer. I now try not to get excited by pictures when I take them, just in case they look like crap when I see them on a big screen!

Continuing the massively off topic theme, the day after Rally Legend finished, there was a trip organised to K Sport: K Sport were responsible for the running a lot of the Lancias entered on the rally and their workshop was stuffed full of awesomeness: 

After we had seen downstairs they took us up to the "office". It was stuffed with Integrales, an 037, a Stratos and, in the far corner...

...and what could be better then one Delta S4? 

Two Delta S4! 

I believe the car on the right is for sale, so if any of you have recently won the lottery then get on the phone to K Sport!

Team is passionate. But they have to work within commercial reality. Spending hours and hours making tiny tweaks to physics may please a few people on here, but is unlikely to result in improved sales.

I have been playing Dirt 4 the past few days and I quite like it. I think the stages are not as good as the handcrafted ones in rally, but even with the repetition issues your stage is pretty damned impressive. I just hope they get the opportunity to take it forwards and develop it further.

dirt3joe said:
Team is passionate. But they have to work within commercial reality. Spending hours and hours making tiny tweaks to physics may please a few people on here, but is unlikely to result in improved sales.

I have been playing Dirt 4 the past few days and I quite like it. I think the stages are not as good as the handcrafted ones in rally, but even with the repetition issues your stage is pretty damned impressive. I just hope they get the opportunity to take it forwards and develop it further.
DiRT 4 has tanked because of physics.  DiRT Rally still sells because of physics.  It’s that simple

KevM said:
dirt3joe said:

DiRT 4 has tanked because of physics.  DiRT Rally still sells because of physics.  It’s that simple
If physics was all people were interested in the Dirt 4 would sell really well and games like FH3 would fail. FH3 has succeeded, massively. Why ? Because it's a great game.

It's gaming experience that equals sales volume not physics. If Dirt 4 fails it's because it wasn't a good enough game, not because it wasn't a good simulator. Less than a hundred people on here might be p'd off with the physics. Maybe extend that to 30,000 or so for the entire sim racing community. But that is nothing compared with the 500,000 who buy the game in total.

I want the Dirt series to have good simulation components and there is no reason why they shouldn't have that as an option, but they have to be great games first, otherwise the series dies. And yes, it really is that simple.

dirt3joe said:
I want the Dirt series to have good simulation components and there is no reason why they shouldn't have that as an option, but they have to be great games first, otherwise the series dies. And yes, it really is that simple.
But Dirt 4 would have been great if it had proper physics. I still personally rank D4 higher than DR because I don't fly 96,000 miles into orbit for looking at a bump in the road, which was a frequent occurence in DR.

Also FH3 succeeded because it's an arcade racer that caters to the masses, with big rewards for tiny amounts of effort.

FH3 has loads of content and loads of activities.  Physics are simcade at best.

Dirt Rally didn’t have much content to offer, but the content it had, was massively detailed.  It did have great physics though & that’s why it reached the status it did.

FH3 would be a disaster too, if the physics were as obscure as what D4’s are.  FH3 has quite basic but fun handling, it’s not frustrating to drive.  That’s why it did well

dirt3joe said:
KevM said:
dirt3joe said:

If physics was all people were interested in the Dirt 4 would sell really well and games like FH3 would fail. FH3 has succeeded, massively. Why ? Because it's a great game.

It's gaming experience that equals sales volume not physics. If Dirt 4 fails it's because it wasn't a good enough game, not because it wasn't a good simulator. Less than a hundred people on here might be p'd off with the physics. Maybe extend that to 30,000 or so for the entire sim racing community. But that is nothing compared with the 500,000 who buy the game in total.

FH3 sells so good because it's mainstream, it caters a massive audience, it has loads of content and it's fun. DiRT 4 tried to do too many things and in the end it didn't satisfy fully most of them. Otherwise it would be played.

tbtstt said:
Yeah, that's the risk @F2CMaDMaXX. You can of course check the shot on the back of the camera, but you never know if it's really sharp until you can look at it on the computer. I now try not to get excited by pictures when I take them, just in case they look like crap when I see them on a big screen!

Continuing the massively off topic theme, the day after Rally Legend finished, there was a trip organised to K Sport: K Sport were responsible for the running a lot of the Lancias entered on the rally and their workshop was stuffed full of awesomeness: 

After we had seen downstairs they took us up to the "office". It was stuffed with Integrales, an 037, a Stratos and, in the far corner...

...and what could be better then one Delta S4? 

Two Delta S4! 

I believe the car on the right is for sale, so if any of you have recently won the lottery then get on the phone to K Sport!
Can we get back to the Lancias now? They might be off topic but who cares, they're gorgeous <3

dirt3joe said:
KevM said:
dirt3joe said:

On steam, look at the current player. DiRT rally has long term replay value. Also the main reason why it will always sell while the other crumble is because it has something unique to master.

Real life people who don't spend time on games want true oversteer. Not some BS usual crap on rail that sim racer understand & favor to drive.

MrDeap said:
dirt3joe said:
KevM said:
dirt3joe said:

On steam, look at the current player. DiRT rally has long term replay value. Also the main reason why it will always sell while the other crumble is because it has something unique to master.

Real life people who don't spend time on games want true oversteer. Not some BS usual crap on rail that sim racer understand & favor to drive.
Lol. You don't make money by selling a small number of games to people who then play them forever. You do it by selling a huge amount to people who play it for a couple of months and then want to buy either a sequel or more content.

I personally think Dirt Rally was/is a great game. But I don't confuse what I think is great with what the mass market does. And I know that Dirt Rally 2 or Dirt 5 is only going to happen if the mass market wants it.

If codies thought that changing Dirt 4 handling to Dirt Rally handling would make the game sell double they would be straight in there to mess around with the physics and change it around. Why wouldn't they ?

Lol - you don’t make money by selling a small number of games and then follow it up with a balls up

i can no longer count the amount of users who have confirmed they’ll not buy the sequel to DiRT until it has proved itself.  By that stage, it will no longer be a full-price title & the company loses out.  A franchise has to be consistently deemed good value or the reputation goes down the tube and makes no more revenue 

JZStudios said:
Didzis said:
the Crew isn't that difficult to drift in. Once you get used to it, it actually has quite nice, if not a bit floaty handling
Really?/ Maybe you're using controller, because with my wheel it's near impossible. I take a 1970s Challenger at 120mph, rip the handbrake, turn in, and nothing happens. Just turns. The only "drifting" I get is on the ice part.
No, that was with a wheel :) The best one I remember was with a Performance spec R34 skyline on some snowy roads, but it also non-snowy roads too
I don't remember what DoR I had though. Usually I play games with 540°, but I might've turned it down to 360° for the Crew. 

dirt3joe said:
But Dirt 4 would have been great if it had proper physics. I still personally rank D4 higher than DR because I don't fly 96,000 miles into orbit for looking at a bump in the road, which was a frequent occurence in DR.
I am surprised that more people aren't identifying with this: the stages in DR are fantastically detailed, but the punishment when you running off line and get launched into low earth orbit is infuriating at times. 

I think I am "missing" some of the short comings of D4 as I spend most of my time racing in the 4WD classes but, for me, it's still a better overall package than DR. 

dirt3joe said:
KevM said:
dirt3joe said:

I disagree. I didn't play FH3, but I did play 1 and 2, and the physics were always stable and enjoyable. Cars acted somewhere around like how they should, they all felt unique, and all the tuning you can do also has a tangible effect inside the game world. Dirt 4 has stable physics, but they aren't really very enjoyable.
For example, The Crew basically failed because EVERY ONE hated the physics. It was actually unplayable, and Ivory Tower/Ubisoft did like 3 massive physics overhauls to the point it's at now... which still isn't great. Sure, the story is dumb, but the map is cool and it has a fair amount of decent cars, but none of them really feel that unique and due to it being a carpg they all have to perform on the same level rather than anything even remotely realistic.
The Crew 2 is coming out, but it looks like it has the same terrible physics, so I wonder how sales will do. In the commercials you can see off roaders/rally cars and other cars taking jumps and they just get sucked back down to the ground.

tbtstt said:
dirt3joe said:
I am surprised that more people aren't identifying with this: the stages in DR are fantastically detailed, but the punishment when you running off line and get launched into low earth orbit is infuriating at times. 

I think I am "missing" some of the short comings of D4 as I spend most of my time racing in the 4WD classes but, for me, it's still a better overall package than DR. 
Yeah I also prefer D4 over DR just by that reason. But the harsh truth is that I prefer WRC7 over both of them since it simply handles better than D4 and has nice stages.

A bit off topic, so sorry about that. I almost forgot these until I saw @tbtstt 's post. Great photos!

Long story short, a month and a half ago I was in Tokyo and decided to visit Megaweb Toyota located in Odaiba because last time I was in Tokyo I missed that completely. It's a museum / showroom displaying Toyota's rally history, vehicles and concept cars. There are other manufacturers' cars as well and a quite extensive library of different cars as minitures. (Lots of  old cars and classics) If you ever happen to be near that place, you should definitely check it out.

Edit: Fixed the image links.

That is a seriously awesome collection @Kuris, great pictures as well! How was Tokyo? Japan is top of my "countries to visit" list! 

tbtstt said:
That is a seriously awesome collection @Kuris, great pictures as well! How was Tokyo? Japan is top of my "countries to visit" list! 
Japan is ace, I've been there several times and definitely recommend it. /goes back to lurking

urgaffel said:
tbtstt said:
Japan is ace, I've been there several times and definitely recommend it. /goes back to lurking
I'm about 50/50 on Japan.
I see some things and I'm like, "hey, that'd be cool to check out." Then I see some other stuff that contorts my face and makes me question life in general and I'm pretty sure I want no part of it.
This pops into mind.... Ummm... maybe NSFW? Google it on your free time.
Kanamara Matsuri

lol... nothing wrong with a phallic festival :D

Japan is a country like any other, it has its own issues but! It is well worth visiting in my opinion because it is beautiful, the food is fantastic and it's something that's very different. If nothing else, go for the food :D

urgaffel said:
lol... nothing wrong with a phallic festival :D

Japan is a country like any other, it has its own issues but! It is well worth visiting in my opinion because it is beautiful, the food is fantastic and it's something that's very different. If nothing else, go for the food :D
I heard food, food, food aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand food. Gosh I love Japanese food. One time I ate Korean for dinner and then stopped at a sushi place for desert. :p I like food.