DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Who made the CMR3 Theme? It reminds me of something. It's almost Star Guitar by Chemical Brothers.. Awesome track nevertheless, takes me back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82ZKNd1f6rE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S43IwBF0uM

Edit: It says in the comments on the first link who made it. 
Also note the PS2 logo on the boxart... Hint hint! Nudge nudge!

Never hear the CM3 tune before because I always turn the music off on every game I play, except the GTA games. I've always loved the Chemical Bros video though, very cleverly done

It's jonathan colins from Octagon Music if I remember well.

For those that want the soundtrack of the Colin Mcrae series, here is the link for it (part 1, part 2 link is in that page) : 
http://www.amazon.com/Colin-McRae-Rally-Official-Soundtrack/dp/B003R0MHQK

Any word on if we can expect a Codemasters presence at Lydden Hill this weekend?...

tbtstt said:
Any word on if we can expect a Codemasters presence at Lydden Hill this weekend?...
Some folks are heading down on Friday to get some car reference but I don't think anyone is doing the weekend.

KickUp said:
tbtstt said:
Some folks are heading down on Friday to get some car reference but I don't think anyone is doing the weekend.
Awwww, was hoping you would be showing something off there. I can't make it down Friday (well I could, but not at the cost of a days wages!) so I shall post here how good it is!  ;)

I am waiting on a hack for the cameras (WIP) unless DiRTCrew releases this sooner.  I am working on a script now, have some small/big plans for it.  I don't mean to be make this out to be the greatest video ever, I am just trying to be meticulous about this one.  I want to get it right.  Stay tuned..

gfRally said:
I am waiting on a hack for the cameras (WIP) unless DiRTCrew releases this sooner.  I am working on a script now, have some small/big plans for it.  I don't mean to be making this out to be the greatest, I am just trying to be meticulous about this one.  I want to get it right.  Stay tuned..
What is it you want to control?

@kickup ultimately I would like to save a replay in game so I don't have to view it immediately after the stage.  Then be able to go back later drop a camera anywhere on the stage and watch it.

maybe its best if I break it down:

WISHLIST 
choose helicopter view anytime 
choose drone view anytime
place drone where ever I want
place gopro style cameras anywhere on the stage, maybe in multiples
add selectable spectator location views
i want to be able to hold a camera position for as long as I want even if there is no car, with the option to pan with car or not

Probably there is some sort of compromise that's less complicated in that list.  But that's just my wishes, no demands :blush: 

I do like some of the new camera angles, nice improvement over DiRT3.  I like the automated view change, to just watch at times, but if I want to make a video that doesn't look like everyone else, other camera options are needed.

thanks for asking

Cool, not going to promise anything but its good to know what you are wanting.

KickUp said:

It seems that @gfRally would like a GTA5 style director mode :)  I also think it would have been awesome to place cameras where you want them and adjust lens parameters and camera settings. 

I guess it comes down to personal preference whether one would pick such a custom replay feature over other new additions such as a rally school or stages with dynamic conditions (ruts, sweeping).

Back to the Gossip: I also had some hopes that the team would show some Rallycross gameplay at Lydden Hill this weekend, but perhaps it's just not ready yet.

Are any of the team members going to do any sound recordings or telemetry on the cars? @KickUp 

gfRally said:
@kickup ultimately I would like to save a replay in game so I don't have to view it immediately after the stage.  Then be able to go back later drop a camera anywhere on the stage and watch it.

maybe its best if I break it down:

WISHLIST 
choose helicopter view anytime 
choose drone view anytime
place drone where ever I want
place gopro style cameras anywhere on the stage, maybe in multiples
add selectable spectator location views
i want to be able to hold a camera position for as long as I want even if there is no car, with the option to pan with car or not

Probably there is some sort of compromise that's less complicated in that list.  But that's just my wishes, no demands :blush: 

I do like some of the new camera angles, nice improvement over DiRT3.  I like the automated view change, to just watch at times, but if I want to make a video that doesn't look like everyone else, other camera options are needed.

thanks for asking

More and multiple roadside cams in replay. I love the engine/exhaust sound and hear cars going by at speed from a static camera.

KickUp said:
To add to the replay camera's, i've been thinking about a solution for the guys who want longer cameras so they can hear the car drive off in the distance.

First of all an option to only choose one camera style (only helicopter cam, only roadside cams etc.) should be there with also an option to mix all cams (how it is right now).

Secondly my idea for the animated roadside cams: A lot of guys have been asking for cameras that stay on longer so you can hear the car drive off in the distance. Downside of this is that you might miss a crash or something cool when the camera stays on too long. My idea is to split all the animated cameras into two groups. An a-roll and a b-roll so to speak. Then, let's say you have 6 corners in front of you, I want every corner to have a camera so you can see all the action but the a and b rolls take turns every corner. So corner 1 has an a-roll camera, corner 2 has a b-roll camera, corner 3 has an a-roll camera and so on. The the player can choose to have all cameras (the a-roll and b-roll cams combined) for a normal style replay and then also have an option to only have the a-roll or the b-roll cameras for longer cameratimes. I've made a small image below to show what I mean:

Back to the Gossip: I also had some hopes that the team would show some Rallycross gameplay at Lydden Hill this weekend, but perhaps it's just not ready yet.

Are any of the team members going to do any sound recordings or telemetry on the cars? @KickUp 
On Friday we intend to have a vehicle artist go to Lydden and photograph the cars and their liveries. Our Simulation team are joining him but they are going to speak to the engineers about set-up.

Its never good to do the audio recording at an event because the stuff we need from a session is very different to what the teams and drivers are doing out on track. We tend to do our recordings at tests or bespoke recording sessions at airfields where there is plenty of time.

Areyouben said:
KickUp said:
To add to the replay camera's, i've been thinking about a solution for the guys who want longer cameras so they can hear the car drive off in the distance.

First of all an option to only choose one camera style (only helicopter cam, only roadside cams etc.) should be there with also an option to mix all cams (how it is right now).

Secondly my idea for the animated roadside cams: A lot of guys have been asking for cameras that stay on longer so you can hear the car drive off in the distance. Downside of this is that you might miss a crash or something cool when the camera stays on too long. My idea is to split all the animated cameras into two groups. An a-roll and a b-roll so to speak. Then, let's say you have 6 corners in front of you, I want every corner to have a camera so you can see all the action but the a and b rolls take turns every corner. So corner 1 has an a-roll camera, corner 2 has a b-roll camera, corner 3 has an a-roll camera and so on. The the player can choose to have all cameras (the a-roll and b-roll cams combined) for a normal style replay and then also have an option to only have the a-roll or the b-roll cameras for longer cameratimes. I've made a small image below to show what I mean:

I really like your idea @Areyouben , but the A roll/b roll could be simplified if the replays could just be optionally saved after each stage, so it can be watched at another time.  This would allow you to ff and rw from any camera at any placed camera you select.  Make sense?  Saving replays makes all this a lot simpler.  Again I like your idea, there just maybe another way to the same end :)

Seb Loeb Rally Evo latest; a bit of Sweden (early, but looks nice). I wonder how Codemasters Winter Wonderland will compare?

https://youtu.be/k49RnBTSQ78

Seb Loeb Rally Evo latest; a bit of Sweden (early, but looks nice). I wonder how Codemasters Winter Wonderland will compare?

All I can judge from the footage is the fact, that stages are still too short, and roads too wide. Codemasters have one competitor less.

gfRally said:
I really like your idea @Areyouben , but the A roll/b roll could be simplified if the replays could just be optionally saved after each stage, so it can be watched at another time.  This would allow you to ff and rw from any camera at any placed camera you select.  Make sense?  Saving replays makes all this a lot simpler.  Again I like your idea, there just maybe another way to the same end :)
So you mean you'd have an option to manually select any camera at any point and kinda scroll trough the cameras? I think both would be nice to have ultimately. Nice thing of the a-roll/b-roll thing is that you can just select one roll and watch the whole replay with nice long cuts without doing anything. The nice thing of the 'select your camera at any point' thing would be to really get some custom shots where you choose the lengths of every shot yourself.

They're based on real life, apparently.
Call me sad, but it looks a bit like the end sections of Torsby, in layout if not completely accurate scenery.

I do hope that's not an exclusive license they have for the DS3.......

The engine in that DS3 sounds pretty stock not even a rally modified one to agree on.

I mean it sounds like a fruit blender.

It is all WIP at this stage, I believe. I don't think it'll outdo Dirt Rally, but it's always fun to have competition in the genre :-) I've got all of the previous rally games on PC.

They're based on real life, apparently.
Yeah, but track scaling probably isn't. As for length- it probably is just a slice of a real track, or it is going to be a series of that slices acting as separate SS.