DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

I think, after seeing the job offer from BigBen, that Codemasters are not the ones in charge of this next WRC title. If they were, there would have a deal signed, already in 2017, and BigBen wouldn't be looking for a Game Producer (permanent contract, no less). If they had signed with Codemasters, they would already have a dev team, and if Codemasters were short on personel they would add job offers on their site.

To me, it's obvious BigBen is assembling a new team and they plan to dominate the rally market. A new team will handle WRC titles, while Kylotton will use V-Rally as a direct assault on DiRT. Just look at it, it's an off-road game with several disciplines: rally, rallycross, hillclimb, Buggy (aka Landrush) and Extremekhana (which we all know is Gymkhana). Remind you of another franchise?
I dislike how much your post makes sense. 

I think, after seeing the job offer from BigBen, that Codemasters are not the ones in charge of this next WRC title. If they were, there would have a deal signed, already in 2017, and BigBen wouldn't be looking for a Game Producer (permanent contract, no less). If they had signed with Codemasters, they would already have a dev team, and if Codemasters were short on personel they would add job offers on their site.

To me, it's obvious BigBen is assembling a new team and they plan to dominate the rally market. A new team will handle WRC titles, while Kylotton will use V-Rally as a direct assault on DiRT. Just look at it, it's an off-road game with several disciplines: rally, rallycross, hillclimb, Buggy (aka Landrush) and Extremekhana (which we all know is Gymkhana). Remind you of another franchise?
I am the opposite. I think there is more evidence to suggest someone else will have it than bb retain it.

But in any case, I think no-one will know for certain until end July. The next big clue will be whether another WRC game is announced by end May. And also when they announce the as yet undated finals of WRC esports.

dirt3joe said:

But in any case, I think no-one will know for certain until end July. The next big clue will be whether another WRC game is announced by end May. And also when they announce the as yet undated finals of WRC esports.

I am thinking/hoping we will see something at E3 in June.

KevM said:
Nothing like killing the Gossip speculation momentum there RCM...  lol
It’s just something I do in my old age now  :D
What next? I bet you’ll try and convince us that the Easter bunny isn’t real!
Of course the easter bunny isn't real. a 6 foot tall rabbit that poops painted eggs and candy?
Santa Claus though, that's a different story. I never stopped believing in you big guy! Just get me another DiRT game for Christmas!

JZStudios said:
KevM said:
Of course the easter bunny isn't real. a 6 foot tall rabbit that poops painted eggs and candy?
Santa Claus though, that's a different story. I never stopped believing in you big guy! Just get me another DiRT game for Christmas!
My grandad shot the Easter bunny a couple of years ago. Long story short there was 15 adults crying with laughter and 5 children crying because the easter bunny was dead

JZStudios said:
KevM said:
My grandad shot the Easter bunny a couple of years ago. Long story short there was 15 adults crying with laughter and 5 children crying because the easter bunny was dead
Pics or it didn't happen. Although one time I was fishing in Montana and caught a wooly trout, which are apparently pretty rare. Stupid fish and game catch and release rules.

JZStudios said:
KevM said:
All this time I thought @RallyDriven was a farmer, turns out he's actually a redneck.

And what are you doing @Rallycameraman? This is the GOSSIP thread, not the FACT thread... 

Evilsmurf said:
Fried pizza is gonna kill you, no doubt about it. But it just tastes sooo good :D  
Have you ever had a fried Twinkie? Those are friggin good!

tbtstt said:
JZStudios said:
KevM said:
All this time I thought @RallyDriven was a farmer, turns out he's actually a redneck.

And what are you doing @Rallycameraman? This is the GOSSIP thread, not the FACT thread... 
my grandad just really dislikes rabbits apparently, no matter how many children believe that said rabbit was the easter bunny

tbtstt said:
JZStudios said:
KevM said:

my grandad just really dislikes rabbits apparently, no matter how many children believe that said rabbit was the easter bunny
Now I instantly got the rabbit scene from Pet Cemetary 2 in my head... Clancy Brown is such a classy actor.

did she play the rabbit ?                                                            

dgeesi0 said:
did she play the rabbit ?                                                            
He.

No. He broke their necks and skinned them. Needed them for supper.

Bigben has renewed the domain wrcthegame.com this week.
http://whois.domaintools.com/wrcthegame.com

Who else has BigBen worked with, racing game wise? Milestone (when taking over WRC4) and Zordix AB (on Switch titles at least). If you haven't heard of the latter, they made the "wannabe Hydro Thunder/Arctic Thunder" games:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/468100/Aqua_Moto_Racing_Utopia/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/587400/Snow_Moto_Racing_Freedom/

I guess this could mean they might work with external teams though, although they have a special relationship with Kylotonn.

It's going to be a new dev team. They wouldn't be offering jobs for WRC, at the start of this year, if it was an already established team.
A bit of curiosity that I have is: will WRCs be making an appearance in V-Rally 4, since BigBen, apparently, still has the WRC license?

er185 said:
Runs out next May.  It looks more like they did an update than a renewal 

KevM said:
er185 said:
Runs out next May.  It looks more like they did an update than a renewal 
The domain expires May 2019. Bigben is still the owner of the domain but I don't think anyone should read into this too much. The domain was originally registered by Black Bean Games for the Milestone WRCs that began in 2010. Domains are easily transferred. I can imagine the contract with WRC Promoter requires the publisher to maintain the domain.

I doubt Bigben still being the domain owner can be considered as proof that Bigben will be publishing the next WRC game. The domain after all is still being used for WRC 7, and will be at least until the eSports finals which will probably be in August.

It's going to be a new dev team. They wouldn't be offering jobs for WRC, at the start of this year, if it was an already established team.
A bit of curiosity that I have is: will WRCs be making an appearance in V-Rally 4, since BigBen, apparently, still has the WRC license?
As far as I can tell they aren't offering jobs for WRC specifically. Translate produces the words "such as WRC". It  doesn't seem like to me that the posting is specifically WRC orientated.

Job adverts do that all the time. They give examples of the kind of things you might be working on, but that eosn't mean you will be necessarily working on that particular thing.

dirt3joe said:
As far as I can tell they aren't offering jobs for WRC specifically. Translate produces the words "such as WRC". It  doesn't seem like to me that the posting is specifically WRC orientated.

Job adverts do that all the time. They give examples of the kind of things you might be working on, but that eosn't mean you will be necessarily working on that particular thing.
Fair enough, maybe the job offer is not related to the WRC game.

However, I will say this: with BigBen renewing the WRC game domain, for one more year, pretty much tells you that they intend to be the ones publishing the next game. Codemasters, itself, usually publishes all its major games. Like with F1, if they had the WRC license, I think they would have taken it from BigBen and would be preparing to both develop and publish the game. I don't see Codies sharing the profit of a WRC game with another publisher, for the major versions anyway (PC, PS4, Xbox One), especially if there is also DiRT branding involved.

dirt3joe said:

Fair enough, maybe the job offer is not related to the WRC game.

However, I will say this: with BigBen renewing the WRC game domain, for one more year, pretty much tells you that they intend to be the ones publishing the next game. Codemasters, itself, usually publishes all its major games. Like with F1, if they had the WRC license, I think they would have taken it from BigBen and would be preparing to both develop and publish the game. I don't see Codies sharing the profit of a WRC game with another publisher, for the major versions anyway (PC, PS4, Xbox One), especially if there is also DiRT branding involved.
I have to respectfully disagree with domain renewals equalling any kind of proof that Bigben is continuing. The domain was going to expire in May 2018. That's right in the middle of the eSports championship. And a full four months, minimum, before we can expect another WRC game. So it's obvious they would renew it. esportswrc.com expires this July 7th, before the end of the competition, so I assume they will renew that, too.

Domains are so easy to transfer that who owns it at the moment is a non-issue. It doesn't point to Bigben having the license or not having it. The only "fact" I can see here is that they renewed wrcthegame and will renew esportswrc because both expire during WRC 7's tenure. There is no way Bigben or WRC Promoter would allow those sites to go down or be transferred to someone else while the current game is still relevant.

So I don't think this domain renewal says anything at all about who could have the license: Bigben or someone else.

I have to respectfully disagree with domain renewals equalling any kind of proof that Bigben is continuing. The domain was going to expire in May 2018. That's right in the middle of the eSports championship. And a full four months, minimum, before we can expect another WRC game. So it's obvious they would renew it. esportswrc.com expires this July 7th, before the end of the competition, so I assume they will renew that, too.

Domains are so easy to transfer that who owns it at the moment is a non-issue. It doesn't point to Bigben having the license or not having it. The only "fact" I can see here is that they renewed wrcthegame and will renew esportswrc because both expire during WRC 7's tenure. There is no way Bigben or WRC Promoter would allow those sites to go down or be transferred to someone else while the current game is still relevant.

So I don't think this domain renewal says anything at all about who could have the license: Bigben or someone else.
Eloquently said and, upon reflection, agreed. All I can say is I have my fingers crossed. Normally, when you see some smoke, all you hope is that there's no fire. In this case, I hope, come the end of May, beginning of June, we have a massive fireball.

Hey, I thought that V-Rally 4 retail thing was just smoke and mirrors, and then the whole mirror-house exploded! So maybe, take my pessimistic remarks, regarding WRC 8, as a good omen :)

A bit of gossip from Codemasters from the last F1 2017 blog : 

Looking forward to the future, the F1 team here at Codemasters have been working on the newest project. We can’t wait to share with you what’s being worked on – but in the meantime, we’ve some other news and opportunities we’d like to share with you…

Beta Programme

For the past couple of years, we’ve run our successful beta testing programmes, and every time we’re excited by the incredibly detailed feedback you give us. We’re very happy to say that we’re continuing this, and that we’ll be opening testing both offline and online in the coming weeks! We’ll be opening sign-ups shortly, so keep your eyes open for your chance to help us shape the next project!

Link : http://blog.codemasters.com/f1/03/new-seasons-new-beginnings/

Curious to see what it will be (probably F1 2018) and what the DiRT team is working on.

Eloquently said and, upon reflection, agreed. All I can say is I have my fingers crossed. Normally, when you see some smoke, all you hope is that there's no fire. In this case, I hope, come the end of May, beginning of June, we have a massive fireball.

Hey, I thought that V-Rally 4 retail thing was just smoke and mirrors, and then the whole mirror-house exploded! So maybe, take my pessimistic remarks, regarding WRC 8, as a good omen :)
Accro2008 said:

Looking forward to the future, the F1 team here at Codemasters have been working on the newest project. We can’t wait to share with you what’s being worked on – but in the meantime, we’ve some other news and opportunities we’d like to share with you…

Beta Programme

For the past couple of years, we’ve run our successful beta testing programmes, and every time we’re excited by the incredibly detailed feedback you give us. We’re very happy to say that we’re continuing this, and that we’ll be opening testing both offline and online in the coming weeks! We’ll be opening sign-ups shortly, so keep your eyes open for your chance to help us shape the next project!

Curious to see what it will be (probably F1 2018) and what the DiRT team is working on.

@warpengage yeah I hear you man. The "Kylotonn lost the WRC license" rumors started when someone spotted that Bigben had registered v-rally4.com. And it turned out to be true that Kylotonn will not be doing the next WRC game. Of course, as you stated earlier, that does not rule out Bigben nor any other publisher. And obviously we have no idea who the new developer will be. @CodingRacer broke the "Codemasters will do WRC 8" bomb months ago. Meanwhile we all laughed at him. Now it looks to be a possibility. It's a bit frustrating that no new evidence or hints have surfaced since the V-Rally 4 announcement. Codemasters is very secretive by nature so if they do have the license we won't know until they want us to know. Other devs seem to be more sloppy about keeping secrets, so I would have imagined that some kind of juicy piece of half-evidence would have surfaced by now. Then again, a NDA like CodingRacer referred to in the other thread is serious business - you're just not allowed to talk about that stuff, period.

@Accro2008 in that post they specifically refer to the F1 team. And we know from previous posts that the F1 team has been hard at work on F1 2018. If I remember correctly the beta news was also mentioned. Given the problems that the F1 series suffers from chronically I doubt the F1 team would have anything to do with a rally game. In fact, we know from previous roadbooks that it was the DiRT team that had to go in and help the F1 team after the disasterous and bug-filled launch of F1 2017. If "the F1 team" was not part of that sentence then you would have definitely uncovered some serious gossip!

Accro2008 said:

Beta Programme

@warpengage yeah I hear you man. The "Kylotonn lost the WRC license" rumors started when someone spotted that Bigben had registered v-rally4.com. And it turned out to be true that Kylotonn will not be doing the next WRC game. Of course, as you stated earlier, that does not rule out Bigben nor any other publisher. And obviously we have no idea who the new developer will be. @CodingRacer broke the "Codemasters will do WRC 8" bomb months ago. Meanwhile we all laughed at him. Now it looks to be a possibility. It's a bit frustrating that no new evidence or hints have surfaced since the V-Rally 4 announcement. Codemasters is very secretive by nature so if they do have the license we won't know until they want us to know. Other devs seem to be more sloppy about keeping secrets, so I would have imagined that some kind of juicy piece of half-evidence would have surfaced by now. Then again, a NDA like CodingRacer referred to in the other thread is serious business - you're just not allowed to talk about that stuff, period.

@Accro2008 in that post they specifically refer to the F1 team. And we know from previous posts that the F1 team has been hard at work on F1 2018. If I remember correctly the beta news was also mentioned. Given the problems that the F1 series suffers from chronically I doubt the F1 team would have anything to do with a rally game. In fact, we know from previous roadbooks that it was the DiRT team that had to go in and help the F1 team after the disasterous and bug-filled launch of F1 2017. If "the F1 team" was not part of that sentence then you would have definitely uncovered some serious gossip!

Don't see any proof Kylotonn aren't doing WRC 8 although strong suggestions they might not be.

Re V rally, maybe they decided to release WRC 8 later in say Jan 2019 to match the esports season and felt that a 4 month delay between rally games was enough ?

There is strong evidence that the licence contract will be renewed on 31st July this year, but who with no-one knows for sure. Every time the licence is renewed you would expect that the promoter would contact interested parties. If would be more of a surprise if they weren't in contact with several developers/publishers re stuff like this.

I suppose the point I'm making is there are no certainties, only probabilities, and although the evidence/clues might point to one particular outcome it's far from certain.

Re anyone being secretive, it's not just because of company policies. It's probably that they actually aren't allowed to tell anyone, as well as the fact that they want to make maximum impact with the announcement and that requires planning and thought. Everyone has got to respect that and when they are ready and allowed to announce something (if indeed they have it) they will do so.

Finally WRC 7 was a pretty good game. Dirt Rally was brilliant. I think we're going to get a great game whatever. I hope it's Codies because I think they will do a great job and I prefer their style and I want something fresh and new, but if Kylotonn build on their experience with 7 then a WRC 8 by them should be a pretty good game too. I do hope if Codies get it we still get some DiRT. A DiRT group B add on DLC or something like that !

I Hope Kylotonn do WRC 8 to be honest.  They had ‘got’ the ethos of rallying with WRC 7, the FFB just isnt there yet, but the stages and handling were definitely convincing.

Codemasters can bring us DiRT Rally 2, and all the Historic & Group B insanity that wouldn’t be allowed in a WRC title no doubt.

That way, we have 2 great rally titles to enjoy!