Jump to content

DiRTy Gossip Thread

Recommended Posts

One thing I'd like to see in DLC is stages with more elevation changes. Did anyone say Montecarlo? 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The long wait for the 22nd seems to be getting dragging more each day! 

At least we will (hopefully) have the full story on DLC1 on the 12th.

Random question, but how soon before release does a game "go to print"? Is it weeks or days before the release date?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

The long wait for the 22nd seems to be getting dragging more each day! 

At least we will (hopefully) have the full story on DLC1 on the 12th.

Random question, but how soon before release does a game "go to print"? Is it weeks or days before the release date?

Weeks usually, I would guess that it will already have gone ‘gold’, meaning that the discs are already being produced 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMHO VR should be separate DLC. I couldn't care less about it while it makes the game creation process more expensive which causes less content for me.

 

I'd rather have 2000s than VR.

 

How many percent of  DR owners had VR on the first place?

Edited by versedi
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I sincerely hope is that the DLC isn't only recycled content.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst it is still a minority peripheral in terms of owners it still holds a fairly large and fanatical community base. I haven't tried Dirt VR, but I imagine once you've gone there it's very difficult to return to using screens. 

A lot of me agrees with you, I'd like content to be the priority, however in the long-term the more people who purchase the game translates to more investment which in turn should give us more DLC.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, P308R said:

One thing I sincerely hope is that the DLC isn't only recycled content.

I was in that mindset pre launch, however after seeing footage and learning about the game there will be nothing recycled about it. Completely re-done physics when compared to the first game will give the stages an entirely new personality.

The graphical changes will show the locations in a new and vibrant light.

Who doesn't want to drive Wales or Monte with stage deg?

We already have 6 new locations which is a great start, and I certainly hope we get more unseen rallies, but from what I've seen of the handling and stage deg features.....give me the old stages now!

Edited by Rallystu2
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, versedi said:

IMHO VR should be separate DLC. I couldn't care less about it while it makes the game creation process more expensive which causes less content for me.

 

I'd rather have 2000s than VR.

 

How many percent of  DR owners had VR on the first place?

It simply not the same thing and not the same devs involved. And I don't have VR, but I think it's a cool way to play racing games. And it as in DR1 so...

 

About new locations, I'd like to see more elevation changes as well. I won't mind getting DR1 countries if the stages are different.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, versedi said:

IMHO VR should be separate DLC. I couldn't care less about it while it makes the game creation process more expensive which causes less content for me.

 

I'd rather have 2000s than VR.

 

How many percent of  DR owners had VR on the first place?

 

Look at the official tweet. Its pretty safe to say oculus stepped up and funds the developmend. The picture, the fact that its oculus support and the @oculus in the tweet more or less confirms oculus reaching out with a proposal to codies which benefits both. With the money from oculus it wont take anything away from the developmend of the rest of the game.

https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/1093872075318558722?s=19

"We heard you. @Oculus heard you. DiRT Rally 2.0 + Oculus = this summer… "

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rallystu2 said:

Whilst it is still a minority peripheral in terms of owners it still holds a fairly large and fanatical community base. I haven't tried Dirt VR, but I imagine once you've gone there it's very difficult to return to using screens. 

A lot of me agrees with you, I'd like content to be the priority, however in the long-term the more people who purchase the game translates to more investment which in turn should give us more DLC.

 

I did. And I went back to a screen.

Not because of lacking graphical fidelity or god-rays on bright transitions. (It certainly has that, even with an Odyssey/Vive Pro)

And not because of motion sickness, I'm completely immune to that, could even fly IL-2 in VR in Dogfights perfectly fine.

But it just doesn't feel natural to "look". You get the immersion factor and the 3D, which improves spacial perception a LOT. Those Fresnel-Lenses are the issue for me though. The image get's increasingly blurred the further away from the center-point you move your eyes. If you just turn your head and not move your eyes a lot, everything is fine. But that's not how I drive a real car (quickly). In my real vehicle I use my eyes primarly to split-second glance at the mirrors, the speedo, the rev, and the apexes. Doing this same in VR broke the immersion for me, as the Speedo or the mirrors were blurred when not in center view-vector. You had to move your head much more instead of eyes which is unnatural in racing. 

VR will be the future of Sim racing, I'm certain. But for me it would first need foveated rendering and better lenses to not be such a big compromise. But priorities are different for all and some have already reached a No-way-back with VR, so I can understand their upset. It should be over now, since they actually announced VR support is coming. But nothing is ever really over in the increasingly nuance-free and toxic (internet) society we are becoming...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Already seen people in r/dirtgame complaining how Codies are greedy for only having official Oculus support... Those guys scare me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately some people make their mind up very early whether or not to like a product. Once they've ranted and slated something for so long they rarely just jump straight on the wagon of support once what they were ranting about has been fixed. It's much easier to stay in that mindset and find something else to dislike about the game.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RallyDriven said:

Weeks usually, I would guess that it will already have gone ‘gold’, meaning that the discs are already being produced 

That's what I was wondering: I was curious to know just how late tweaks can be applied to the game before it goes gold!

(Though I guess further adjustments can be made with a day one patch)

1 hour ago, Rallystu2 said:

I was in that mindset pre launch, however after seeing footage and learning about the game there will be nothing recycled about it. Completely re-done physics when compared to the first game will give the stages an entirely new personality.

The graphical changes will show the locations in a new and vibrant light.

Who doesn't want to drive Wales or Monte with stage deg?

Yeah, my thinking is along the same lines. The main base of the game is largely new and the "recycled" content is there if you want to pay a bit more for it...

...as you say though, I see it as being beyond recycled. Wales is my most played rally location from D1 and the idea of being able to play that again with stage deg and with (hopefully) the daft airborne physics fixed is very appealing. Plus getting to take the R5's on D1 stages would be awesome!

With just the season one DLC we should have more rally content than any CM rally game for some time. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Rallystu2 said:

Unfortunately some people make their mind up very early whether or not to like a product. Once they've ranted and slated something for so long they rarely just jump straight on the wagon of support once what they were ranting about has been fixed. It's much easier to stay in that mindset and find something else to dislike about the game.

See also: Brexit

  • Haha 3
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

That's what I was wondering: I was curious to know just how late tweaks can be applied to the game before it goes gold!

(Though I guess further adjustments can be made with a day one patch)

Yeah, my thinking is along the same lines. The main base of the game is largely new and the "recycled" content is there if you want to pay a bit more for it...

...as you say though, I see it as being beyond recycled. Wales is my most played rally location from D1 and the idea of being able to play that again with stage deg and with (hopefully) the daft airborne physics fixed is very appealing. Plus getting to take the R5's on D1 stages would be awesome!

With just the season one DLC we should have more rally content than any CM rally game for some time. 

Exactly this - I can’t wait to try the new cars (R5s and RGTs) and new physics (gravity!) and features like tyre wear on stages with ‘old’ layouts but new textures, lighting, degradation, character and foliage models, AI, pace notes and weather conditions - if they were brand new layouts that would be great, but I’d learn them anyway.

 

Not to mention, there wouldn’t be three locations added if there were brand new stages - there’d be one or possibly two, and I feel the biggest concern I have with the game at this point is the number of unique kilometres so this seems like the best solution.

 

It’s also very consumer friendly in some regards. The ‘easy’ thing would be to put the new locations in the DLC and the ‘business’ thing to do would be to mix RX and Rally content to make you buy both even with an interest in just one.

 

Bring on the updated Lancia and the new Porsche!

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tbtstt said:

The long wait for the 22nd seems to be getting dragging more each day! 

At least we will (hopefully) have the full story on DLC1 on the 12th.

Random question, but how soon before release does a game "go to print"? Is it weeks or days before the release date?

Weeks, but that’s no longer really a problem with the ability to patch games whenever - not sure when the patch needs to be submitted for approval, but I guess that’s measured in days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rallystu2 said:

I was in that mindset pre launch, however after seeing footage and learning about the game there will be nothing recycled about it. Completely re-done physics when compared to the first game will give the stages an entirely new personality.

The graphical changes will show the locations in a new and vibrant light.

Who doesn't want to drive Wales or Monte with stage deg?

We already have 6 new locations which is a great start, and I certainly hope we get more unseen rallies, but from what I've seen of the handling and stage deg features.....give me the old stages now!

I see it more like 'old' content moved behind a paywall.  I still like they come back but not in the way of payed DLC only. New stuff should be in there also.

  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Depends on the platform. From my understanding PlayStation can be a bit difficult when submitting patches, but I dunno.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, P308R said:

I see it more like 'old' content moved behind a paywall.  I still like they come back but not in the way of payed DLC only. New stuff should be in there also.

I think it's dangerous territory. Imagine if it was the other way round. The base game launching with the DR1 locations. Being made to purchase the new ones? Much worse.

This way round they've made the DR1 content optional. It's a sensible and logical move. Kudos in my eyes.

Edited by Rallystu2
  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, YorAlcoholicDad said:

ohh i see everything is still here thanks for the help, also is there any way i can change my display name?, i made this account when i was young and not so smart, i wanted to change it to UDegani

You can do that here https://forums.codemasters.com/settings/username/ once per 90 days so things don't get too confusing.

  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RodgerDavies said:

Exactly this - I can’t wait to try the new cars (R5s and RGTs) and new physics (gravity!) and features like tyre wear on stages with ‘old’ layouts but new textures, lighting, degradation, character and foliage models, AI, pace notes and weather conditions - if they were brand new layouts that would be great, but I’d learn them anyway.

 

Not to mention, there wouldn’t be three locations added if there were brand new stages - there’d be one or possibly two, and I feel the biggest concern I have with the game at this point is the number of unique kilometres so this seems like the best solution.

 

It’s also very consumer friendly in some regards. The ‘easy’ thing would be to put the new locations in the DLC and the ‘business’ thing to do would be to mix RX and Rally content to make you buy both even with an interest in just one.

 

Bring on the updated Lancia and the new Porsche!

What I'd like to see is a new stage alongside the ones from DR in the same location, like Myherin in Wales, Sisteron in Monte, vineyards in Germany... The locations are very iconic so they'd be a very welcome return in DiRT Games, and new stages would make the content feel even less recycled 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, carpa said:

What I'd like to see is a new stage alongside the ones from DR in the same location, like Myherin in Wales, Sisteron in Monte, vineyards in Germany... The locations are very iconic so they'd be a very welcome return in DiRT Games, and new stages would make the content feel even less recycled 

Seeing the old stages with all the new features would be great for sure, but I'm not sure if a whole lot of people would be up to paying for just old content. You risk having just a small DR core group buying into that and then have season 3/4 stripped. But a mix would be perfect, get the two old long stages and add one new long stage. Hopefully that's within the limits of what Codies can do with their time. 🙂

Come to think of it, if they would add DR1 rally locations with one extra stage, I would actually be fine with an expansion pack for the DR2.0 launch rally locations down the line, where they add one stage to each of those locations to bring all of them to 3 stages.

Edited by Ruben Correa Alves
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm quite excited for the service model put in place.

It worked for Assetto and PC2, so I don't get why some people think it won't work here. It can be expensive overtime for the consumer (if Codies goes past Season 2) but I'd gladly pay for a lot of new quality content.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Ruben Correa Alves said:

Seeing the old stages with all the new features would be great for sure, but I'm not sure if a whole lot of people would be up to paying for just old content. You risk having just a small DR core group buying into that and then have season 3/4 stripped. But a mix would be perfect, get the two old long stages and add one new long stage. Hopefully that's within the limits of what Codies can do with their time. 🙂

Come to think of it, if they would add DR1 rally locations with one extra stage, I would actually be fine with an expansion pack for the DR2.0 launch rally locations down the line, where they add one stage to each of those locations to bring all of them to 3 stages.

TBH, that’s my ideal position - there are effectively twelve locations ‘in play’ between the two games - I would certainly hope that sticking to those and expanding each would be the long term plan (even if that’s for a future title).

 

I don’t see it being the case for the upcoming DR2 DLC though. People say “vineyard stages for Germany” like that would be easier than making a new country like Kenya, but it’s not like there’d be any shareable assets with Baumholder stages so it’s the same amount of work regardless. I hope they take this approach still, to get away from each individual rally being run over the same 20kms, but I appreciate it’s just as much work. For other locations (like adding Myherin to Wales, for example) it’s probably a fair bit less as assets would be reusable there.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×