DiRTy Gossip Thread

Really disappointed with this one. A new group B RWD car is the best part (where is the Lancia, though?), but basing an entire DLC on reused content from the previous game is just anti consumer. Recently Hitman 2 did something similar, adding the content from Hitman 1 as DLC (which benefited from some slight improvements of the new game), but those who already owned the first one got it for free.

Edited by blaugranamarti
  • Agree 3

Monte Carlo Rally and other returning classic rally environments Germany and Sweden benefit from a significant visual uplift since the first DiRT Rally®. The new lighting system combined with improvements to the track materials, foliage and character models bring the locations to life even more – while the challenges of tyre choice, track degradation, updated handling physics, and the optional hardcore damage mode, all arriving to the franchise with DiRT Rally 2.0, provide a breadth of new ways to experience these iconic stages.

New vehicles to the DiRT Rally franchise also include the ŠKODA Fabia Rally, the BMW M1 Procar Rally, and the Subaru Impreza – all cars that have been highly-requested by the community in recent years. Those who have purchased the Season One content will also have access to a set of exclusive high reward in-game events and further in-game bonuses.

“It was important for us to not just include brand new content for DiRT Rally 2.0, but also to recognise the fan favourites from the previous titles”, commented Ross Gowing, Chief Games Designer. Gowing continued, “The improvements the team have made for DiRT Rally 2.0 are plain to see, and Monte Carlo is a shining example of that. I think it looks incredible, and I hope our players feel the same way too.

We are making a significant commitment to expanding the DiRT Rally 2.0 experience for the players that have been calling for us to do exactly that over a number of years.”

http://blog.codemasters.com/community/02/seasonone-dr2/

DiRT_Rally_F_1.jpg

DiRT_Rally_F_2.jpg

Edited by teknoid85
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, blaugranamarti said:

Really disappointed with this one. A new group B RWD car is the best part, but basing an entire DLC on reused content from the previous game is just anti consumer. Recently Hitman 2 did something similar, adding the content from Hitman 1 as DLC (which benefited from some slight improvements of the new game), but those who already owned the first one got it for free.

Well, be prepared for a bunch of people to exclaim this is great and fantastic and we should be happy for it. This is really, really shady practice in my honest opinion - UNLESS the rallies have significant updates, changes and/or additions, this is very much just plopping already developed content into the next title and charging for it. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

Are we sure the dlc stages are only old ones ? No new stages from returning countries ?

Also :
#NoKitCarsNoBuy

Just now, toninus said:

Are we sure the dlc stages are only old ones ? No new stages from returning countries ?

Also :
#NoKitCarsNoBuy

Yes, it's there in the blog post. Same stages, just updated assets and the surface degradation feature.

If it is only the stages from Dirt Rally 1, that is straight lazy and disappointing.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

Just now, griev0r said:

If it is only the stages from Dirt Rally 1, that is straight lazy and disappointing.

Not even just stages, but some of the cars, too.

15 minutes ago, ShodanCat said:

Going by the rest of the "DLC" I assume it's just going to be the 2001 version ripped straight out of Dirt Rally.

According to the article the Impreza is a new addition so not the 2001 version. The only option left is the one I think it will be.

Just now, SimVansevenant said:

According to the article the Impreza is a new addition so not the 2001 version. The only option left is the one I think it will be.

Yeah I didn't see there was a blog post about it yet.

Mark my words, Codies will get backlash for this amongst many of their long time supporters and Dirt Rally fans.

Edited by ShodanCat
  • Like 2
  • Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, ShodanCat said:

Well, be prepared for a bunch of people to exclaim this is great and fantastic and we should be happy for it. This is really, really shady practice in my honest opinion - UNLESS the rallies have significant updates, changes and/or additions, this is very much just plopping already developed content into the next title and charging for it. 

I said a tad disappointed. I’m still excited for new rallies, plus I know we’ve got the benefit of stage degradation and tyre choice

Christina has just posted in the Discord: 

"However, the Skoda Fabia Rally is 14 years old and competed in the top flight of rally. The C4 is nine years old, and also competed in the top flight of rally. Also, the Subaru Impreza did too... two years before that. (I hope I can count. It is 2019, right?)"

So if I have read this right: 

2005 Fabia  
2010 Citroen C4
2008 Impreza (which would mean it's an S14)(or the S12c, but I'd say that's unlikely)

Slightly disappointed if that's the case, as the S14 was the least successful Impreza WRCar.

• Agree 1

Just now, ShodanCat said:

Mark my words, Codies will get backlash for this amongst their long time supporters and Dirt Rally fans.

Backlash not necessarily but as @RallyDriven said a tad bit disappointed when it comes to the locations. At least one new location or maybe one new stage for each location would have been a better option but we don't know if that was possible so... Still, they remain great locations and we do have more of them than before.

4 minutes ago, RallyDriven said:

I said a tad disappointed. I’m still excited for new rallies, plus I know we’ve got the benefit of stage degradation and tyre choice

They aren't new rallies.  They are stages anyone that played DR 1 has already driven a million times, and paid for already, with a shiny coat of paint..

Edited by griev0r
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

Just now, griev0r said:

They aren't new rallies.  They are stages anyone that played DR 1 has already driven a million times, and paid for already, with a shiny coat of paint..

The new physics model will make a difference in the experience as will stage degredation and tyre choice. It's not just a shiny coat of paint, is it?

• Confused 1
  • Agree 5

Just now, SimVansevenant said:

The new physics model will make a difference in the experience as will stage degredation and tyre choice. It's not just a shiny coat of paint, is it?

We're paying for the new physics model and tire choice as part of DiRT Rally 2.0, not the DLC.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Snaky115 said:

That's a 2005 Fabia isnt it? I feel like it is.

Yep, that's the 2005 car.

1 minute ago, ShodanCat said:

We're paying for the new physics model and tire choice as part of DiRT Rally 2.0, not the DLC.

The physics model for the DLC locations isn't the same as for the the locations in the base game because the surface (snow, icy tarmac and concrete) is different. I'll give you tyre choice, though.

It hurts a little considering Dirt Rally was around 8€ on Steam lately with 2x more content, and this DLC is around 25€. Sure there's season 2, but if it's 100% rallycross...

Also I wonder if Stephane Prevost just recorded the rallyes from the base game + DR 1.0 ones. Maybe with 2 extra stages made with the Dirt 4 randomnizer and checked out to avoid repetitions (he said 26 long stages)...

Edited by toninus

25 minutes ago, blaugranamarti said:

Really disappointed with this one. A new group B RWD car is the best part (where is the Lancia, though?), but basing an entire DLC on reused content from the previous game is just anti consumer. Recently Hitman 2 did something similar, adding the content from Hitman 1 as DLC (which benefited from some slight improvements of the new game), but those who already owned the first one got it for free.

I see it as really 'pro' consumer actually.

By buying the base game you get ALL new locations. The updated DR1 ones (new textures, models, surface deg feature, etc) are completely optional; you can even just buy the M1 and Fabia if you want and not spend a penny on the updated locations. Would you have preferred them to put the remastered ones in the base game and make you pay extra for Argentina, Poland and New Zealand, as a lot of studios would have done? I'm going to get this season pass, no doubt, but I like the fact I can order the 'day 1' edition of the game, the season pass, then decide in May if I want season pass 2 or I can just pick out rally content to buy and ignore RX stuff.

I'm disappointed that there's no Lancia or Group B Porsche in there; fingers crossed those are stored away somewhere for a rainy day.

Edited by RodgerDavies
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Yay! I have been testing the new DLC content for the last 3 years, I can confirm that the stages feel great. During the beta there was a bug in one of the German stages, where the voice says "1 left, 1 left" when it should be "1 right, 1right" at the beginning of the stage if the Spanish co-driver is selected. I hope they have had time to fix it will all the new developments.

Also thanks Codemasters for releasing the DLC so quickly. It almost feels like you could have included it with the base game, I love how you tease as all, even for a few days. 

Any chance of realising a DLC with the music from Dirt Rally 1?

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

If its the 2008 impreza, perhaps is the  very successful SRTUSA version.   I wouldn’t mind that again, especially if they use the proper sounds, it had quite a bit of antilag, pops sqeeks anc bangs over here.  Im sure it would fair well in the competition.

2 minutes ago, RodgerDavies said:

Would you have preferred them to put the remastered ones in the base game and make you pay extra for Argentina, Poland and New Zealand, as a lot of studios would have done?

Not really a sensible point to make. Obviously if they would have only included the original rallies, and all else being equal, it would have been a dismal sales failure and a serious dent to their reputation. I mean, that's just common sense.

I'll agree that the purchase is optional, so in that sense nobody HAS to buy it (obviously,) but it's still a move by Codies driven by maximum return for the least amount of effort possible.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1