DiRTy Gossip Thread

Are the winter tyres we now have studded? I know in Monte they only use small studs but expected a bit more grip on the ice and a bit less on the tarmac.

If they're not it would be great to have some as a choice as that's where much of the challenge of monte comes from.

Those of you with RBR, try driving Passo Valle in the wet with tarmac tyres, then with snow tyres. It's a totally different experience, where the ice patches are now quite grippy but the studs slip on the smooth tarmac.

Whatever, really like the newly revamped Monte, even if it is costing me a fortune in repairs!

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

12 minutes ago, Smithers1968 said:

Are the winter tyres we now have studded? I know in Monte they only use small studs but expected a bit more grip on the ice and a bit less on the tarmac.

If they're not it would be great to have some as a choice as that's where much of the challenge of monte comes from.

Those of you with RBR, try driving Passo Valle in the wet with tarmac tyres, then with snow tyres. It's a totally different experience, where the ice patches are now quite grippy but the studs slip on the smooth tarmac.

Whatever, really like the newly revamped Monte, even if it is costing me a fortune in repairs!

No we have winter tyres, these are not studded as far as I can tell. More of an unstudded snow tyre than an ice tyre. I agree I'd like a studded winter option for Monte to cope with particularly icy sections but it's definitely fun. Though I don't have even a half decent pace on Monte yet.

15 minutes ago, Smithers1968 said:

Are the winter tyres we now have studded?

They are not, and I don't think we will be seeing studs until Sweden. Would make an awesome challenge for Monte, but I'm going to guess that the handling team doesn't like how the studs interact with the asphalt - probably not producing the right kind of slip (which I assume it should on asphalt???)

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Dee said:

They are not, and I don't think we will be seeing studs until Sweden. Would make an awesome challenge for Monte, but I'm going to guess that the handling team doesn't like how the studs interact with the asphalt - probably not producing the right kind of slip (which I assume it should on asphalt???)

agree, but in sweden studs are a MUST

I feel like the difference on dry tarmac between Soft and Winter should be bigger in terms of grip. Because right now we don't have enough tarmac to cope with the times difference. Either that or we need more KMs of stage.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Smithers1968 said:

I also expected we get studded winter tires but it looks like they are without studs.

This is also a problem in RBR, this game was never designed to use wrong tires for other surfaces, like snow tires on tarmac etc.

With NGP this has changed a lot, snow tires working way better on Tarmac now. Also slicks are working quite well on snow since the last update.

But also in RBR there is no "montespike" model, so just the small "swedenspike".

I agree with you, monte is a lot of fun in DR 2.0.

The difference in the grip on snow and ice is very nice and i really like how it feels, just a ton of fun drifting from corner to corner on the ice/snow! 🙂

30 minutes ago, Riggs said:

I feel like the difference on dry tarmac between Soft and Winter should be bigger in terms of grip. Because right now we don't have enough tarmac to cope with the times difference. Either that or we need more KMs of stage.

Couple of the small stages the soft tyre is definitely worth it.

• Agree 3

21 hours ago, RodgerDavies said:

D0GFlAqWsAEhXZd.jpg

Can we start talking about flags again? Vexillology is a very interesting topic. As cool as the Welsh dragon is, that picture's proof that it's a tad complicated, like the Mexican flag.

1 hour ago, Smithers1968 said:

Just catching up here on the flag stuff.

Can't see why the rest of the world is confused that the Union Flag is called the Union Jack depending where it's flown, that it's made up of the flags of the member states of England, Scotland and Ireland but not Wales, even though Ireland hasn't been part of the UK for about a century.....Except for Northern Ireland which is (at the time of writing) but is not part of Great Britain even though it's part of the UK.

Simple enough to me.

What the hell even?

As a non... whatever, I only see people from the UK flying the Union Jack, and the Welsh flag. I mean, I guess it makes sense the rest have their own flag, but I haven't seen that England Flag in modern times outside of things renaissance era.

1 hour ago, JZStudios said:

What the hell even?

As a non... whatever, I only see people from the UK flying the Union Jack, and the Welsh flag. I mean, I guess it makes sense the rest have their own flag, but I haven't seen that England Flag in modern times outside of things renaissance era.

Yea the English flag (St George's cross) has kind of been hijacked by far right groups. The Union flag (British flag) is a more politically correct flag nowadays, however I'm not overly patriotic so I don't really fly flags anyway! Apart from maybe the e.u flag from time to time, given current climate.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Smithers1968 said:

Just catching up here on the flag stuff.

Can't see why the rest of the world is confused that the Union Flag is called the Union Jack depending where it's flown, that it's made up of the flags of the member states of England, Scotland and Ireland but not Wales, even though Ireland hasn't been part of the UK for about a century.....Except for Northern Ireland which is (at the time of writing) but is not part of Great Britain even though it's part of the UK.

Simple enough to me.

Just to clarify for those who don't understand. 

GREAT Britain is Wales England and Scotland. United kingdom is that plus northern 3.

Edited by magpieracer48

Er, kinda, as i already said, the United kingdom refers to the kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.  I feel you said this, but it wasn't so clear.

15 hours ago, Fedemaisonnave said:

Road degradation in Germany will have a looot of gravel in the road if you start in the back?

If done properly, it should have some tarmac beneath all the mud and gravel, in places... 

WRC-Allemagne-Sebastien-Ogier-s-offre-un

Kris-Meeke-Citro%C3%A2n-C3-WRC-Rally-Ale

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Kudos to all the gamepad guys. PJ, are you not planning to get a wheel at some point? It really would change your experience to the better in my view. 

Edited by richie
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, richie said:

Kudos to all the gamepad guys. PJ, are you not planning to get a wheel at some point? It really would change your experience to the better in my view. 

i agee,  but playing a game like this with gamepad are like a kick in the nuts, imho.    much more fun and joy with a wheel.

5 hours ago, carpa said:

If done properly, it should have some tarmac beneath all the mud and gravel, in places...

actually the stages on the Baumholder stages stay fairly clean! i do hope that they inculde a bonus stage for the Germany DLC though we need to race round the vineyards!

• Agree 1

Just now, AT4047 said:

actually the stages on the Baumholder stages stay fairly clean! i do hope that they inculde a bonus stage for the Germany DLC though we need to race round the vineyards!

As much as I would like that, it's highly unlikely. It seems the returning rallies are a remaster of the same stages (nothing against it, but i'd like to see a new one in the mix), like it happened with Monte Carlo. We can always discuss what we want in the game after these 2 batches of DLC are completed, that's what Ross said. There's plenty from where to choose.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, richie said:

PJ, are you not planning to get a wheel at some point? It really would change your experience to the better in my view. 

I have considered it but I'd probably want to go all the way and get an F1 Playseat while I'm at it since I like the seating position :classic_happy:

In any case I don't have room in my current flat for that kind of rig, but I'll try and accommodate that space should I be moving in the future :classic_laugh:

DiRT Rally 2.0 feels great on a controller though, right up there with Forza Motorsport 7. I don't feel like I'm missing out, and I can still get near the top of the Xbox leaderboards :classic_happy:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Riggs said:

As much as I would like that, it's highly unlikely. It seems the returning rallies are a remaster of the same stages (nothing against it, but i'd like to see a new one in the mix), like it happened with Monte Carlo. We can always discuss what we want in the game after these 2 batches of DLC are completed, that's what Ross said. There's plenty from where to choose.

yeah of course, I have nothing against using the same stages as they are there and they are IRL stages, and in fairness one monte stage is fairly similar to another in terms of road width and general terrain, but Germany is almost two events in one IMO.

in the future I certainly hope that Codies could look at supporting this title for the next 5/10 years with new reasonably priced DLC/content rather than bringing out another new title with all the same cars again.

• Disagree 1

13 minutes ago, Riggs said:

Honestly, given the remaster on Monte I'm expecting Sweden and Germany to feel completely new to us. Sure we won't have new stages, but even knowing the stages right now in Monte from my hundreds of hours in DR1 isn't really helping - hell it might be hurting me because I keep trying to drive like I used to and that does not work in 2.0

13 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

I have considered it but I'd probably want to go all the way and get an F1 Playseat while I'm at it since I like the seating position :classic_happy:

In any case I don't have room in my current flat for that kind of rig, but I'll try and accommodate that space should I be moving in the future :classic_laugh:

DiRT Rally 2.0 feels great on a controller though, right up there with Forza Motorsport 7. I don't feel like I'm missing out, and I can still get near the top of the Xbox leaderboards :classic_happy:

You'd be surprised how skinny some of these rigs can be. I found out I could slip my full 80/20 rig between the side of my bed and the wall comfortably. That also assumes you aren't sharing a room with another person who might not be pleased to have a bunch of milled extrusions by them :classic_laugh: but you can upsell the massive monitor you'll mount to it by saying you'll get one of those fancy hydraulic arms so you can swivel it as a night time tv!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Mike Dee said:

Honestly, given the remaster on Monte I'm expecting Sweden and Germany to feel completely new to us. Sure we won't have new stages, but even knowing the stages right now in Monte from my hundreds of hours in DR1 isn't really helping - hell it might be hurting me because I keep trying to drive like I used to and that does not work in 2.0

You'd be surprised how skinny some of these rigs can be. I found out I could slip my full 80/20 rig between the side of my bed and the wall comfortably. That also assumes you aren't sharing a room with another person who might not be pleased to have a bunch of milled extrusions by them :classic_laugh: but you can upsell the massive monitor you'll mount to it by saying you'll get one of those fancy hydraulic arms so you can swivel it as a night time tv!

Monte Carlo was a pleasant surprise and I can't wait to see the rest. I'm still up for new stages for all the rallies we have, in the future once the 2 seasons are past. And that super specials! I'm sure those super specials are do-able, with 2 rally cars running simultaneously. Takes the same or less resources as a RX track performance-wise.

Edited by Riggs

@PJTierney  that is my "rig"  😆     to be honest it feels totally comfortable, no need for a dedicated  playseat as i use this gaming chair also on pc 😉

you just need to find the correct desk with the correct height for the wheel

rig.jpg

IMG_20190328_165104[1].jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

It's true, the FFB could be better atm, but it's not too bad so with a wheel you'd have some extra feedback from the suspension + SAT. It's so much more immersive, so if you have the opportunity, go for it, you won't regret it 👍

Edited by richie
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, richie said:

It's true, the FFB could be better atm, but it's not too bad so with a wheel you'd have some extra feedback from the suspension + SAT, so I can really recommend it, you won't regret it, I promise. It's so much more immersive, so if you have the opportunity, go for it. 👍

i've found a g29  on amazon warehouse for 140euro   selled my dfgt for 50  so i've only payed 90euro 😄

• Like 1