DiRTy Gossip Thread

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

I'm wondering if it's because you think this content was ready before release.  You shouldn't assume things you don't know the answer to and then run with them, making wild assumptions based upon a previous assumption being true.

I can categorically tell you that none of this DLC was finished\ready before the game went to press (remember the game takes about a month to go through release acceptance with sony\microsoft.

How do you categorically know that none of the dlc was ready for the release of the game? 

Surely unless you work for codies it’s hard to categorically say one way, or the other?

There is a screenshot of of the 2001 impreza in the game that was shown prior to the launch of the game. So if that comes as dlc then that was something that was ready beforehand. Plus the dlc cars that have already been released from the previous game  (c4, focus etc), it’s hard to prove whether they were ready for release or not, unless you were involved with working on the game? 

Edited by Pieman99
  • Agree 1

Car models from previous games were absolutely used for testing when they built DR2, I drove test tracks that were previous assets a year before release, they don't exist in game and you would not have wanted them to in the state we used them in.

Codies would revisit a model to upgrade it for DR2, if it existed in D4 they would likely load it in and work on it, it doesn't mean the handling was setup, or audio was there or even things lining up properly.

We did see the 2002 in the well known picture, and if you wanted to call that complete and ready, sure, go for it.  

Wonder why we didn't get that car first but instead got another version?  I know some of the devs are only allocated work at the time leading up to release, urgaffel only started work on Wales not too long ago.  They're busy doing other things until then and there is always a lag from when things are finished to when they're released.

They were working flat out on the release content\version until cut off time for release in February, once that arguably more important stuff is done, they can move onto further content as required.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

Sorry, that's not how this works.  I see your points, but it sounds like you're complaining that there is extra content available.

I'm wondering if it's because you think this content was ready before release.  You shouldn't assume things you don't know the answer to and then run with them, making wild assumptions based upon a previous assumption being true.

I can categorically tell you that none of this DLC was finished\ready before the game went to press (remember the game takes about a month to go through release acceptance with sony\microsoft.

Sorry, but that's exactly how it works. Game projects work on schedules and roadmaps, I would be extremely surprised if content for Season 4 wasn't being worked on as we speak, if it's planned at all.

Regardless, you are clinging to a minor argument. Whether this content was made prior to game's release or not is irrelevant, what matters is the optics of a game filled with minor DLC. You can't feel it if you're enjoying D+, but it looks absolutely repulsive on a storefront.

It's not impossible. Free DLC is not an invention we haven't stumbled upon yet as a species, it's here and it works. I understand Codies want to make a buck from new content, so I don't have a problem with that - I simply don't want this game to look like a Train/Truck simulator at some point, with hundreds of $s in DLC.

• Confused 1
  • Disagree 1

Posted (edited)

That's why summer sales are great, for those who dont feel like or can't spend that amount of money on a game. Plus remember you can play DLC content without even owning it, via custom lobby if the host has that content.

So technically, the DLC is "free" to demo. Of course if you want to get into the big action instead of custom lobbies, you'll have to purchase the content you want and they're giving you the choice to pick it one by one, or as a bundle. So if you don't really care about the current WRC cars but you do love the rallies, you can just purchase the rallies.

I understand your concern about hundreds of $s in DLC, like Europa Universalis IV. But to be honest, I'd like that to happen as it meant the game was getting continuous support unlike previous titles.

I find that better than just letting the game die and immediately work on a sequel. It leads to the same way, as you'll spend the money buying the sequel. Imho this one is good enough to build on for a while.

Edited by Riggs
  • Agree 5

9 hours ago, Riggs said:

That's why summer sales are great, for those who dont feel like or can't spend that amount of money on a game. Plus remember you can play DLC content without even owning it, via custom lobby if the host has that content.

So technically, the DLC is "free" to demo. Of course if you want to get into the big action instead of custom lobbies, you'll have to purchase the content you want and they're giving you the choice to pick it one by one, or as a bundle. So if you don't really care about the current WRC cars but you do love the rallies, you can just purchase the rallies.

I don't think this address my concerns - a demo is a way for a single customer to test if they want to purchase a piece of content or not - if a significant number of them don't purchase the game, because it appears they have to spend an additional 50%-100% of the initial price to get all DLCs, then demoing is not a part of the equation.

9 hours ago, Riggs said:

I understand your concern about hundreds of $s in DLC, like Europa Universalis IV. But to be honest, I'd like that to happen as it meant the game was getting continuous support unlike previous titles.

I think, for a casual observer, it looks like the game is nickel-and-dimed and many comments/reviews online already mention DLCs as a big negative (especially with the optics of reusing old content, though I don't agree with that at all). If you're not willing to get out of the perception of a player with the Season Pass and look at it from a new customer's perspective, you might not see it.

Codies can still sell new DLC, support the game and release old content for free, these things aren't mutually exclusive. But we're in the age of F2P games with constant updates, free DLC in AAA titles, consumers pushing back against in-game purchases. In this context, DiRT Rally 2's monetization looks outdated.

Two American legends, some Aussies, and a pair of Subaru's go on a little tour.

• Like 2

On 5/31/2019 at 3:21 PM, urgaffel said:

@ShodanCat I had a look at the windscreen/windshield droplets with low rain and it has been improved. It's too late to get it into the Latvia patch (we have to submit each patch to Sony/MS well in advance) but I'll try and get it into the one after Latvia somehow.

Hey @urgaffel just thought I'd check in - will this make it into 1.6? Thanks again!

On 6/28/2019 at 10:50 AM, PJTierney said:

http://blog.codemasters.com/community/06/the-dirt-roadbook-june-28-2019/

• Porsche 911 & Lancia 037 Coming Next Week
  • New Deluxe Liveries
  • Recording the Lancia 037
  • Steam Summer Sale
  • VR is still coming 😉
  • A word on Console Graphics
  • Codies Racing Line
  • F1 2019 Launch

I've been able to play with the stars and stripes deluxe livery in time attack mode. But I've not got the deluxe edition, just day one.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, cafe5150 said:

I've been able to play with the stars and stripes deluxe livery in time attack mode. But I've not got the deluxe edition, just day one.

Looks like you got extra FREEDOM with that day one edition 

• Haha 3

On 6/28/2019 at 10:05 PM, F2CMaDMaXX said:

Car models from previous games were absolutely used for testing when they built DR2, I drove test tracks that were previous assets a year before release, they don't exist in game and you would not have wanted them to in the state we used them in.

Codies would revisit a model to upgrade it for DR2, if it existed in D4 they would likely load it in and work on it, it doesn't mean the handling was setup, or audio was there or even things lining up properly.

We did see the 2002 in the well known picture, and if you wanted to call that complete and ready, sure, go for it.  

That’s my point, i can’t categorically say that the 2001 subaru was ready because of the screenshot, but at the same time, you cannot categorically claim that is wasn’t ready back then. 

Only codies know.  

After these two seasons, will you get any more? if so it would have to be paid part of the luxury edition. Thank you

29 minutes ago, Pieman99 said:
On 6/28/2019 at 11:05 PM, F2CMaDMaXX said:

Wonder why we didn't get that car first but instead got another version?  I know some of the devs are only allocated work at the time leading up to release, urgaffel only started work on Wales not too long ago.  They're busy doing other things until then and there is always a lag from when things are finished to when they're released.

They were working flat out on the release content\version until cut off time for release in February, once that arguably more important stuff is done, they can move onto further content as required.

That’s my point, i can’t categorically say that the 2001 subaru was ready because of the screenshot, but at the same time, you cannot categorically claim that is wasn’t ready back then. 

Only codies know.  

I can understand that points. But usually developers not show testing materials in promotional activitities. Well not in the proportions of a car that looks to be finished. If they show a car very clear in promotional material videos, than i think it should be expected this car will come. Why they not showed a car that definitly would be in the original release of DR2.0, f.e. the Group A or R4 Impreza. I can understand it is a WIP, but knowing codemasters they showing a car, that it will be in it as far as i know.

21 minutes ago, CarlosTapi said:

After these two seasons, will you get any more? if so it would have to be paid part of the luxury edition. Thank you

It is likely at the moment more seasons will come. But this is NOT part of the DELUXE version. They communicated quite clear that the Deluxe versions include the first two seasons. 

My expectations at least two more seasons will come with the following content as i mentioned before:

- Seasons 3 and 4 will be mixed with rally and rx content

Tracks
- Seasons 3 will have 2 rx locations and 1 rally location: 2 remaining 2018 World RX tracks (South Africa and CotA) and Greece or Finland as the rally location
- Seasons 4 will have 2 rx locations and 1 rally location: 2 2019 world RX tracks (Spa and Abu Dhabi) and Greece or Finland as the rally locations.

Cars
- 10 - 12 more cars
--- RX: MINI Supercar / Hyundai i20 Supercar / VW Beetle / Ford Focus / SEAT Ibiza / Renault Clio
--- Rally: Peugeot 206 2001 / Ford Focus 2001 / Subaru Impreza 2001 / Seat kitcar / Nissan kitcar / Peugeot kitcar

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'd like to see at least one new rally besides Greece and Finland though. Another tarmac one would be nice.

Edited by Riggs
  • Agree 5

pff I have the dirt of ps4 and on content is very short, the paintings of the cars are very ugly and even above you can not put mods. SADNESS

Thank you for your attention @JorritVD @Riggs

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Riggs said:

I'd like to see at least a new rally besides Greece and Finland though. Another tarmac one would be nice.

Yes some sort of new rally would be nice. Plus another car that wasn’t from Dirt Rally 1 would also be cool. 

Whether we get any is the million dollar question at this stage haha

Edited by Pieman99
  • Haha 1

Better car paintings is all I'm hoping for. 

• Like 1

Looking forward to the 911 and 037 but - sorry in advance for the negativity - is anyone keen on any of the garish Deluxe liveries thus far? Would rather see one or two "real" liveries (or at least realistic looking liveries) in place of those that have been added. 

The Jon Armstrong Fiesta R5 livery is the only extra one I have really liked so far. 

• Agree 9

Posted (edited)

I would make Deluxe liveries real ones, the ones that you actually pay to license. Now that would be deluxe. So those who acquire the deluxe pack, will unlock the liveries like martini (without the logo), marlboro color scheme, Repsol, Total, etc etc.

Edited by Riggs
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

7 minutes ago, Riggs said:

I would make Deluxe liveries real ones, the ones that you actually pay to license. Now that would be deluxe. So those you acquire the deluxe pack, will unlock the liveries like martini (without the logo), marlboro color scheme, Repsol, Total, etc etc.

Add Castrol to that list, really missing the Castrol livery from the Focus '07

• Agree 2

And from Toyota :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

I can see a colin McRae car pack coming out or Subaru pack, also seen in another forum talking about season 3 and 4 and docs, someone saying there will be a collection added that they work on the liverys but they won't let slip what it is

1 hour ago, tbtstt said:

Looking forward to the 911 and 037 but - sorry in advance for the negativity - is anyone keen on any of the garish Deluxe liveries thus far? Would rather see one or two "real" liveries (or at least realistic looking liveries) in place of those that have been added. 

The Jon Armstrong Fiesta R5 livery is the only extra one I have really liked so far. 

+1

1 hour ago, Riggs said:

I would make Deluxe liveries real ones, the ones that you actually pay to license. Now that would be deluxe. So those you acquire the deluxe pack, will unlock the liveries like martini (without the logo), marlboro color scheme, Repsol, Total, etc etc.

+1

----------

As i mentioned in a other topic, the availability of good real or good realistic looking fictional liveries is quite low. Very low compared to DiRT Rally or DiRT Rally or DiRT 3.

Basically every car has (if not count RX Supercars)
- one real livery
- a few sometimes strange looking DiRT 4 livery editor generated liveries
- a few plain liveries with some random logos
- a black and a white plain livery.
- and maybe a season livery

I have some more points about it

1) I agree with @tbtstt, not so keen on the deluxe liveries so far. Though some look cool on some cars.
S1-S1 - JPS livery. I must say, this is quite cool, especially on a car like the Lancia Stratos.
S1-S2 - Classic color stripes. Yeah. It is okish on a classic car, maybe f.e. on the upcoming Porsche Gr.B (reminding me to the Apple Porsche), but not on modern cars like the 208 R2 or the Polo S1600.
S1-S3 - Grean/White blened in stripes. Yeah, pretty worse this one. Again they say inspired on a classic livery, but a badly chosen one than.
S2-S1 - Blue/White triangle. A modern take of this. Actually not bad on modern cars. Especially looks good on an Impreza RX or the Polo R5. 
S2-S2 - Insprired by an US and FR holiday. Although they seemed well made and put energy in it, i have no rally feeling with it.

2) Bad liveries for partners
Some partner/sponsor logos that are on cars looks so bad. I used this example before. The Focus 2007 has an plain blue livery with red OZ racing logo's. Very bad looking. If I was OZ Racing, this was not how I wanted to be represented in the game. If put in half hour of energy in a livery, you have a simple, but good looking livery. Gamers happy, OZ Racing happy, etc.

3) No consistentcy in numberplates. I explained here once for RX Supercars, but its throught to the game.
https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/34816-dirt-rally-20-v11-found-a-bug-post-it-here/?do=findComment&comment=404439
it is very annoying that one modern cars has a classical numberplate, while an other one has a modern. Same for historics, some have none, some modern, some historical. CM make a decision about this. Classic cars, have classic numberplates. Modern cars have modern numberplates. Same for numbers and names on windows or on the car. Not for every fake livery a different design...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Riggs said:

I would make Deluxe liveries real ones, the ones that you actually pay to license. Now that would be deluxe. So those who acquire the deluxe pack, will unlock the liveries like martini (without the logo), marlboro color scheme, Repsol, Total, etc etc.

when I bought the Deluxe I literally thought I was getting extra licensed liveries.

3 hours ago, tbtstt said:

the Armstrong one is nice. so is the green one (#3).

the blue and white (#4) is ok.

the rest are awful imo

PS, the 911 and 037 are in the game now. 911 sounds AMAAAAAZING

20190701135032_1.thumb.jpg.c31693ed26522056db9738c4bd889e7a.jpg

4 hours ago, tbtstt said:

is anyone keen on any of the garish Deluxe liveries

Honestly, if they just removed the giant "+" sign on them, they'd immediately start looking better. Not fixed, but better. the D2 is corny, but some of the liveries aren't terrible until you see the giant promo branding.

• Agree 3

Anyone else in Tomorrowland having this issue?

Steam DLC should be available for everyone now by the way.