DiRTy Gossip Thread

3 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

I would say never buy Thrustmaster wheels after I bought two of them that killed themselves within 2 weeks. Looking at the slop of the PCB they have, I'm surprised it didn't light on fire. Amazon reviews had other people claiming their wheels were dying with a puff of smoke, and in the hundreds of users, not just a few. Granted, I didn't buy the high end Fanatec wheel and got a GT2,  but looking at the PCB itself, it's immaculate. I've never had any problems with it in years, aside from the flappy paddles which I could fix, but I don't like them anyways. The shifter and pedals are WAY nicer than the chincy "pro" stuff TM offers for the same price.

Also, for the price of a Fanatec wheel, you're nowhere near the price of an accuforce, which only works on PC, and not with all games since most devs don't even have one to test with. The only issue I had with customer support was when my load cell in the brake pedal died and got some Indian on the line who was no help at all. I managed to get an American and he sent one out right away.

Fair enough, I think it all comes down to anecdotal evidence on all sides and just your personal experience. I know a good amount of people who had Fanatec gear, one who used to do service work on them for Fanatec, - their servo died on year 3ish right before DR2.0 release and they are still waiting for it to finish the RMA process which only happened because they called in a favor from a buddy who still worked there.

TM I've seen mixed reviews on, but for the most part the people I know with a T300 or the better stuff from TM haven't had any issues. 

As for pricing, eh I don't think it'd be that much more for AF than a CSW 2.5. 

$699.00 - https://simxperience.com/products/accessories/accuforcesteering/accuforcesteeringsystem.aspx

$549.99 - https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/wheel-bases/clubsport-wheel-base-v2-5.html

So $150 more for a MUCH MUCH better wheelbase, and once you slap on a wheel + paddles you're probably looking at the same price for each of around $999

yes, this is much more than a TM bundle, but unless you are going up the chain for better gear there isn't any real reason to not get the TM bundles. The similar priced gear from Fanatec or any other manufacturer just isn't really worth it because none of it is DD or much "better" than the other.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mike Dee said:

@bobradar do you want to do it or should I?

Never buy Fanatec wheels.

The gear is good - while it works. But they are know for their horrendous customer service that takes asinine amounts of time and their servo motors tend to constantly break right after the warranty period ends.

Besides, at the price of Fanatec gear you should just skip the BS toys and go buy an Accuforce DD wheel. It will be the last wheel base you ever buy (unless you have D-Box money), then couple it with the DriveHub adapter and a decent set of pedals you will be golden. Last bit of gear you will ever buy until you start splurging on accessories like a Handbrake/Hbox/Buttkickers.

I can't speak for everyone, but i had a broken spring in a fanatec shifter and a broken ball joint in my handbrake and had no problems getting an RMA with FANATEC support. I'm in europe, so maybe we are using different customer support, but i can only say good things from them...by the way, i have a Porsche GT3 RS which i almost beat to death that is still working and now i'm using a csl ps4 that i have for almost two years ( still using my old v1 pedals) and use almost every day... A happy fanatec customer here

Edited by Opassac

Bloody hell that's some hardcore gamers right there to be spending that sort of money on a wheel setup😲😲 

Being a pauper I'll stick to the controller😃

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, cafe5150 said:

Bloody hell that's some hardcore gamers right there to be spending that sort of money on a wheel setup😲😲 

You can spend £300+ on a controller too, like the Porsche Xbox Elite 😄 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, cafe5150 said:

you dont have to spend big to enjoy the game or be fast. wheels like the logitech dfgt can be had for £40-50 every day of the week. spending big just brings more realism . obviously this is for pc.

• Agree 3

27 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

You can spend £300+ on a controller too, like the Porsche Xbox Elite 😄 

I can only speak for me, but the xbox elite controller is garbage.

Has the same mechanics inside like a normal one s controller, just with additional pedals.

The left stick from my elite controller doesn't react sometimes when I push it to the right side, wich makes it useless just weeks after warranty ended.

I will never ever spend more money on a "special" controller and stick to the normal original pads. I'm already on my 3rd controller this gen.

As for wheels: Not enough money and space for a good wheel setup, don't wanna buy plastic wheel that will brake after 1-2 years.

But I'm happy with my driving experience anyways, DR 2.0 is very good playable with a controller.

44 minutes ago, dgeesi0 said:

you dont have to spend big to enjoy the game or be fast. wheels like the logitech dfgt can be had for £40-50 every day of the week. spending big just brings more realism . obviously this is for pc.

Yup, whatever you have most fun with is the right choice for you 🙂 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Dee said:

Fair enough, I think it all comes down to anecdotal evidence on all sides and just your personal experience.

This is the first time I see someone complaining to be fair. It surely is frustrating if things go wrong but saying never ever buy Fanatec just because you know a number of people who had issues with customer service or whatever, is a bit too much in my view. If Fanatec really didn't care and the customer service was bad overall I think they could just shut down the company. 

1 hour ago, cafe5150 said:

I've got a G27 slapped onto a $1,000 rig with a handbrake that costs more than the wheel right now 😆 I plan on upgrading but I've kind of dove off the deep end so my next purchases went from highend to boutique gear lol. I put more miles on my sim rig in a week than I do my real car, so if I'm going to spend money I might as well get what I want right?

But you don't have to spend money to be good. I had the G27 strapped to a desk with an office chair originally on dr1. Loved the game and the experience so much tho that I looked into buying the "real" stuff - and I regret nothing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, richie said:

This is the first time I see someone complaining to be fair. It surely is frustrating if things go wrong but saying never ever buy Fanatec just because you know a number of people who had issues with customer service or whatever, is a bit too much in my view. If Fanatec really didn't care and the customer service was bad overall I think they could just shut down the company. 

Yeah, I haven't really had anything break on my Fanatec setup, but after my second TM wheel broke I took it apart with an EE friend of mine and the board was disgusting. There was flux, solder, and hot glue everywhere, while all of the chips except one were cheap no-name garbage. The only one that wasn't was the main chip and it had 3 pins bridged with sloppy solder work. Peoples wheels were literally smoking and lighting on fire because of that. Over the years they might have upgraded their QA, but.... releasing them like that at all is awful. Luckily my TM wheels died within the Amazon refund period so I sent everything back and went Fanatec instead. Everything about it from the look of the wheel housing to the quality of materials, ease of use, and total open-ness to modifications and customization has impressed me.

I wasn't very impressed by any of the "higher end" TM stuff, which was well below the low end Fanatec quality.

5 hours ago, Mike Dee said:

yes, this is much more than a TM bundle, but unless you are going up the chain for better gear there isn't any real reason to not get the TM bundles. The similar priced gear from Fanatec or any other manufacturer just isn't really worth it because none of it is DD or much "better" than the other.

You're going for 2 very different price points with a T300 and a CSW V2. And with my personal experience of the **** quality of the wheel rims, (the leather wheel addon apparently killed a lot of peoples wheels a few years ago) the poorly designed shifter, and laughable pedal sets, I'm not inclined to ever go for TM when I get a similarly priced Fanatec product with better quality and materials.

Also, any minor issues I did have with Fanatec I could fix myself since the mechanics and electronics are spectacularly simple and clean. No way was I fixing that TM garbage.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JZStudios said:

Yeah, I haven't really had anything break on my Fanatec setup, but after my second TM wheel broke I took it apart with an EE friend of mine and the board was disgusting. There was flux, solder, and hot glue everywhere, while all of the chips except one were cheap no-name garbage. The only one that wasn't was the main chip and it had 3 pins bridged with sloppy solder work. Peoples wheels were literally smoking and lighting on fire because of that. Over the years they might have upgraded their QA, but.... releasing them like that at all is awful. Luckily my TM wheels died within the Amazon refund period so I sent everything back and went Fanatec instead. Everything about it from the look of the wheel housing to the quality of materials, ease of use, and total open-ness to modifications and customization has impressed me.

I had the TX wheel and it served me pretty well. It's a good wheel. Had to send it to Thrustmaster twice but it was within the 2 years warranty period. Fanatec is a bit more expensive but, as you say, you notice the difference in quality immediately while unpacking everyhing. Plus, Fanatec launched the podium series, the price for the other wheels dropped a bit so I took the chance and upgraded. 

There's a good variety of options. Best thing is not to rush anything, have a look around and evaluate. Maybe wait for discounts, get more opinions etc. 

Edited by richie

I'm liking this wheel talk, keep it going as it helps with my research 🙂

• Like 1

Yup, usual update schedule I believe, so Racenet goes down for a short time and the update rolls out.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

DR2_Lancia_DeltaS4 (3) .jpg

http://blog.codemasters.com/community/07/the-dirt-roadbook-july-5-2019/

• Porsche 911 e Lancia 037 Recap
  • Nuovi eventi del club
  • FIA World RX va in Svezia
  • Notizie sull'aggiornamento 1.6

top roadbook. how do you say? better late than never. great to improve the sound of the Delta S4, finally! .... option in the menu: sequential + gear box H + clutch ... it was time! if the team works better on liveries (more accurate) and on the most truly hardcore damage system ... we are on the right track

Are those the definitive patch notes? Asking because I don't see anything about the setup issue in Clubs (setups last only one stage then reset to default). 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

@PJTierney

Let me ask you something: in the Roadbook it says the rain effect on the windscreen was changed to improve visibility. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the complaint that interior visibility wasn't affected enough? Or, by 'visibility', you mean the rain is more visible on the windsreen now?

Edited by warpengage
Improper tag. Now fixed.

Posted (edited)

The main visibility problem on interior cameras concerned some rallies, like Sweden during Heavy Snow weather. For some cars (R5 class), the exterior would get over-exposed and therefore reducing draw distance visibility. But I believe that's not the fixing we're talking about.

Edited by Riggs

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Riggs said:

The main visibility problem on interior cameras concerned some rallies, like Sweden during Heavy Snow weather. For some cars (R5 class), the exterior would get over-exposed and therefore reducing draw distance visibility. But I believe that's not the fixing we're talking about.

urgaffel mentioned something about tweaking the water droplets on the windscreen. It was a part of the changes to rain that didn't make it in to 1.5. I'm wondering exactly what it is about the droplets, but I think it has to do with the amount.

Edited by warpengage
Grammar errors.
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, warpengage said:

urgaffel mention someting about treaking the water droplets on the windscreen. It was a part of the changes to rain that didn't make it in to 1.5. I'm wondering exactly what it is about the droplets, but I think it has to do with the amount.

Right! I almost forgot about that. That's meant to address the droplets, as they were always static if you turned off the wipers. So you wouldn't get any extra droplets in the windshield even if you turned off the wipers, and therefore always having a clean windshield during rain.

My Team:

• Widened AI performance capabilities across several difficulty levels, making the jump in challenge feel less dramatic.

AI:

• Adjusted AI performance on Night Rally Stages.
  • Adjusted AI performance during Wet Rallycross Events.
  • Adjusted AI performance to better simulate tyre wear during Events with long distances between Service Areas.

Visuals:

• Fixed issue regarding tyre marks not appearing on certain surfaces.
  • Adjusted rain effects for better visibility when using interior camera views.

Audio:

• Fixed multiple issues with co-driver calls on Germany Rally Stages

YES

1 hour ago, Pfei said:

Are those the definitive patch notes? Asking because I don't see anything about the setup issue in Clubs (setups last only one stage then reset to default). 

That's not in 1.6 but the team's well aware of it.

• Thanks 2

Patch notes look awesome!! It's taken a long time but DR2.0 is finally shaping up to fulfill its massive potential IMO.