DiRTy Gossip Thread

Still missing a progress in FFB-expierience 😕

I'd love to see a guide on game pad career mode on master difficulty. I just managed to get to this difficulty, but I find myself petty much 20+ secs off pace in most locations. I don't change any setup, I also go with recommended tyre choice etc. I'd love to hear the thoughts of the folks that completed master diff on game pad. 

Dont always pick the "recommended" tyre choice because that's not always the recommended choice. You should take softs most of the time on gravel stages because you have service area every 2 stages.

Take wets in Spain if it's wet, otherwise take softs. Same logic for Monte Carlo, take Winter for snowy stages. You'll see your times getting much better with these tyre choices because you have more grip and can push more. The default setup isn't bad, but if you get to learn some tuning aspects it will also help.

• Like 1

@MrSpanky well our resident community manager actually went out of his way to beat masters on a pad for xbox, so we know it is totally doable. Not sure if @PJ did any witchcraft but it is totally doable. Mostly just pick cars you are very comfortable in and always go with soft tyres, no spare.

3 minutes ago, Mike Dee said:

@MrSpanky well our resident community manager actually went out of his way to beat masters on a pad for xbox, so we know it is totally doable. Not sure if @PJ did any witchcraft but it is totally doable. Mostly just pick cars you are very comfortable in and always go with soft tyres, no spare.

Correction, I did the Historics on 100 AI. That's pretty close to Masters though, and I know I'm not the fastest pad player out there.

• Like 1

haha there he is. And I thought you 100% the game, does that include Group B @ Masters for an achievement right? Or was it in historic for that achievement?

It's in Historics.

For me I spent most of My Team in Daily Challenges.

Once things settle down a bit life-wise (I'm still settling into my new flat) I want to go back and beat Masters on a pad 😉 

PJ Tierney you're a breath of fresh air. No offence to Christina but your input on the forums is much appreciated and welcome. And insightful seeing as you work for CM.

Keep it up👍👍

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 7

Hes also fairly active on Discord and Steam too. It's a wonderful change!

Sad to see no mention of the complete sound cut-outs in the audio fixes yet. They're much less common now, though.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Correction, I did the Historics on 100 AI. That's pretty close to Masters though, and I know I'm not the fastest pad player out there.

This begs the question. Has anyone at CM beat the game on master using a game pad as part of QA?

Looks like times are tweaked in the upcoming patch, maybe see how you go there.

However I will say that when you progress to the next level, you can't expect to run the same times and still expect the same results.

1 hour ago, cafe5150 said:

PJ Tierney you're a breath of fresh air. No offence to Christina but your input on the forums is much appreciated and welcome. And insightful seeing as you work for CM.

Keep it up👍👍

It helps that I’m almost exclusively handling DiRT 🙂

Christina took care of DiRT too but was involved in so many other things that Codemasters are looking to hire another person to take care of all those things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

15 minutes ago, MrSpanky said:

This begs the question. Has anyone at CM beat the game on master using a game pad as part of QA?

I don’t know.

I do know that Masters AI times were assembled based on real runs from people on the team, so they are beatable by humans.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Aurora92 said:

Sad to see no mention of the complete sound cut-outs in the audio fixes yet. They're much less common now, though.

Incredibly hard to manually reproduce the bug on demand.

• Agree 1

@PJTierney I asked you a couple months ago what the status was of the forthcoming FFB updates that @ChristinaMc mentioned before she left. Is that still on the cards?

PjTierney 

Can you have a look or ask the dev team to check a bug in monte carlo?

I was hopping someone notice, but here i am to point out 🙂

at Gordolon - courte montee there is a turn for right side that if you do near miss to the small wall, it hits something invisible. The location is before the first hard left turn. 

If you need more,information, let me know

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, chukonu said:

@PJTierney I asked you a couple months ago what the status was of the forthcoming FFB updates that @ChristinaMc mentioned before she left. Is that still on the cards?

Haven’t seen much talk about it since the big 1.4 update. There could be something going on but I imagine a lot of the handling and physics guys are busy with GRID right now.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Steverex said:

PjTierney 

Can you have a look or ask the dev team to check a bug in monte carlo?

I was hopping someone notice, but here i am to point out 🙂

at Gordolon - courte montee there is a turn for right side that if you do near miss to the small wall, it hits something invisible. The location is before the first hard left turn. 

If you need more,information, let me know

There’s a bunch of those round Monte. Team knows but it’s a case of “can we fit this in while doing everything else that needs doing”. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Incredibly hard to manually reproduce the bug on demand.

Yes, thats true.

I try for months now to find a pattern there, but I just don't get it.

Only thing I know is, that there are multiple versions of it.

One version cuts out the sound completely and doesn't come back until I restart the game.

Second version cuts out the sound but comes back as soon as the game has this "freeze picture go-to-loading-moment" but some audio effects are broken then. And that means restarting the game, because it will not fix itself from now.

Third version is like second version, but it fixes everything and no audio effects are broken.

From my personal experience, the third version happens by far the most.

Chances, the game fixes itself after a audio cut out in a stage, between 2 stages is by around 75%.

The important moment is this "freeze picture go-to-loading-moment", it is the audio reset point or something.

It always comes with a noise that sounds like you put in/put out a phone connector while wearing the headset.

Also the bug happens only while racing in a rally or rx event, never ever in menu. But game mode or car doesn't matter.

But if you stay for a long, long time in the menu, the sound/music starts sometimes to get slower, have to restart then. But I speak about hours of idle here.

Thats basically my experience about that bug since release, can't really say it got better.

Sometimes it happens pretty often (had it 3 times in 2 hours last week) or every second day once, wich is more usual.

Hope I could help somehow 🙂

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Mike Dee said:

Are we talking about community events or career? Because a spare tyre can be quite useful in longer rallies. I had to retire once because I punctured the rear right tyre on the Alpine and, because the car has no locking diff, I could barely get up to 40 kph in the top gear, while the rim was spinning like crazy and making sparks. 

4 hours ago, PJTierney said:

It helps that I’m almost exclusively handling DiRT 🙂

Christina took care of DiRT too but was involved in so many other things that Codemasters are looking to hire another person to take care of all those things.

this explains so much...

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, carpa said:

Are we talking about community events or career? Because a spare tyre can be quite useful in longer rallies. I had to retire once because I punctured the rear right tyre on the Alpine and, because the car has no locking diff, I could barely get up to 40 kph in the top gear, while the rim was spinning like crazy and making sparks. 

Both. Only time I would ever consider a spare is for custom club events. We've tested it and you can comfortably go 3 Longs on tarmac with softs, 4 if you are really smart about wear. You will never get an endurance event like that in the normal game, so as long as you always drive to finish and don't do stupid stuff you can get away without any spares.

2 hours ago, Mike Dee said:

Both. Only time I would ever consider a spare is for custom club events. We've tested it and you can comfortably go 3 Longs on tarmac with softs, 4 if you are really smart about wear. You will never get an endurance event like that in the normal game, so as long as you always drive to finish and don't do stupid stuff you can get away without any spares.

The part where I have to avoid doing stupid stuff is what gets me... 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

But is tyre wear actually modelled and dependant on driving style (locking up under braking, sliding...) or does it only depend on the distance driven? The game doesn't give that much information about it, so I never quite figured it out (though using softs all the time except for wets on wet tarmac seems to do the trick).

Edited by blaugranamarti
  • Agree 1