DiRTy Gossip Thread

Have to say that I’m very impressed with WRC 7 so far. Alright, it’s not meant to be a hardcore simulator but that’s not a problem because the gameplay feels very entertaining. I think the FFB is pretty much on par with DiRT 4 on my G27 so it isn’t a game-breaker but could be better of course. In terms of sounds the tech behind them isn’t as complex and detailed as in DiRT’s, but the sound samples sound very authentic to me and the exhaust bangs, turbo sounds and road effects blend very well with everything so overall I’m actually quite happy with the sounds. The stages are fantastic and I’ve loved every one of them so far, really big thumbs up for those! The co-driver sounds quite robotic like people have said but the pacenotes themselves are actually good and they have some nice additional information like ”brake” and ”hard brake” which are very handy when going from a flat corner into a tight corner because the information about upcoming hard braking comes already when the flat corner gets called. (And before people say that no such things as ”brake” and ”hard brake” exist in real pacenotes keep in mind that a professional rally driver can have anything in his pacenotes and what pretty much every rally game is currently missing is customization from pacenotes. Even such a ”simple” thing as being able to choose between numeric notes and descriptive notes (flat, fast, medium, K etc.) would be a big step forward). Overall I’m very satisfied with the game currently and I can actually see myself spending many hours in it (probably going to pass my playtime of DiRT 4 quite quickly...). My biggest complaint with the game is that the 2017 Ford Fiesta WRC has wrong interior since it uses the old interior from the 2016 Ford Fiesta WRC. It’s not like they’re the only devs to mess up car interiors though (*cough* Impreza WRC ’01 in DiRT Rally *cough*) :mrgreen:

To end my long-ish post, here’s a flying Yaris from my world record run of Ouninpohja:

Steam reviews are saying performance is a bit crummy right now, but I like what I hear from you guys about the gameplay. I'll keep my eye on it I think. Sad to say Dirt 4 didn't win me over, mainly due to the stages. I'm willing to accept a slightly less realistic handling model as long as it feels somewhat believable and the stages are varied and interesting.

Not too impressed by the audio, but it's not the *worst* thing in the world. Ever since Dirt Rally, every other racing game's audio has sounded like crap to me. Thanks, @soundfx!

Well, iv pulled the trigger on WRC 7 too....  I will report back shortly (I hope the Xbox copes ok with it)  :#

dgeesi0 said:
  i brought this for £20 on cdkeys its the best rally game already i played since dirt rally and ive only done three stages.now back to rally.

Link you where you bought the Steam key from?

griev0r said:
This is a good read and really points out pretty much all the problems I have with D4. 
dgeesi0 said:
  i brought this for £20 on cdkeys its the best rally game already i played since dirt rally and ive only done three stages.now back to rally.

Thats legit the name. Just google "cdkeys WRC7" and you should see it as top result. I've bought from there once before, maybe twice, for some other stuff.

I've done two events in WRC7 now, and I can pretty much agree with @Jepsertti. FFB on my T300 is decent but not great (I have a hard time feeling grip loss). Stages are real good. Physics and car behaviour is OK, not a sim but the cars behave decently predictable and not too weird. Overall a huge step up from WRC6.

griev0r said:

dgeesi0 said:

cdkeys.com

best £20 you ll spend

I like it.  Just refining the wheel at Fafe while the game downloads, but it's impressive.  Bit vague, but the handling is believable 

takes a bit of faffing but when you get it right. B) tarmac video next with eco boost fiesta.

What settings are you using?  I have no profiler on console so might have to make do with what I have.

Despite the slight vagueness, I like that you can set the car up for corners with throttle/brake inputs.

Nothing like hitting the tarmac section at Fafe & just feeding the i20 gears as quick as she'll take them!!  :D

Don't know what game you guys are playing but i've just requested a refund on Steam. Absolutely horrible physics. Terrible FFB, and shit vehicle sounds as per usual. Another year of disappointment.

Admittedly, the bar used to be a lot higher.  Now though, WRC 7 is acceptable & a welcome addition to my library.
Ive wasted larger amounts of money on less engaging games recently...

Don't know what game you guys are playing but i've just requested a refund on Steam. Absolutely horrible physics. Terrible FFB, and **** vehicle sounds as per usual. Another year of disappointment.
you have to mess about with your wheel . if you get it right its amazing. i have been playing it most of the day though and its took a few hrs to get the wheel and settings how i like it.i actually think its the best rally game of the year with tweaks it could be one of the best ever.whether that will happen who knows. tarmacs great the weight you can feel on the cars the sense of speed which many games lack is there and the narrow events just top it off. you need to play more than two hrs to get used to it.but you risk not having a steam refund.

The lack of multiple controller input support is keeping me from trying WRC7. Unless I can figure out how to use everything with an emulator - it's a no go.  I posted a request in the SLI-max Manager Pro forums to see if it's possible.

sqdstr said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIgxEue7Jn0

I like ACG reviews. Quality content on that channel.

I've never played any of Kylotonn's WRC series of rally games, but I'm very curious: with such low sales, so many bad user reviews, & so many functional issues/bugs reported for each installment, how do they manage to continue acquiring licenses & funding to release even more sequels?

Damn you guys! I'm a huge DiRT Rally fan, really turned off by D4, and have been following Kylotonn's promises for months, hoping that they would live up to what they were promising.

And now here you all are having fun with the game, confirming a lot of the improvements I was perceiving while watching the game develop from E3 to Gamescom and now that it's released, while I have to wait until the 26th here in Argentina! Aaaaarrrgggghhhh.

And then when the 26th comes around, where on Earth will I find the time to play DiRT Rally, WRC 7, SLRE, AC, PC2, GTS in October... Holy moley what an impressive console generation the PS4 has turned out to be for this console pleb racing freak! More racing games than I can shake a stick at!

Fingers crossed for DiRT Rally 2 next year. Come on, Codies, we all know you have it in you, now LET'S SEE IT BECOME REALITY!

Don't know what game you guys are playing but i've just requested a refund on Steam. Absolutely horrible physics. Terrible FFB, and **** vehicle sounds as per usual. Another year of disappointment.
I agree. The game is horrible. The input lag is totally killing the handling. 
The shortest review you ever need: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdhInvUmJjE

well heres a video i just uploaded. world record run just beating poloona off here :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9IFszmDyqs

FlattJern said:
I agree. The game is horrible. The input lag is totally killing the handling. 
The shortest review you ever need: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdhInvUmJjE
I saw the same things in tons of videos, but is it just lag between your input and the virtual driver or is it real input lag, where the car actually takes a while to respond to input? I ask because I see it in off-screen videos but it doesn't seem to affect the handling at all.

thats the thing with games.some people get issues some dont. i dont have any input lag at all.

How you finding your old favourite Wales dgeesio?  They are nice looking stages, ain't they?

Operator1 said:

sqdstr said:

I've never played any of Kylotonn's WRC series of rally games, but I'm very curious: with such low sales, so many bad user reviews, & so many functional issues/bugs reported for each installment, how do they manage to continue acquiring licenses & funding to release even more sequels?

I believe 5 & 6 sold 1 million between the two despite the average reviews. Project CARS was deemed a success when it hit two million last year. So I guess money hasn't been a problem. Think of these sales as funding for them to get to where they are now with a possible surprise sleeper hit in WRC 7. Who knows where it will all go from here.

Operator1 said:
sqdstr said:

I believe 5 & 6 sold 1 million between the two despite the average reviews. Project CARS was deemed a success when it hit two million last year. So I guess money hasn't been a problem. Think of these sales as funding for them to get to where they are now with a possible surprise sleeper hit in WRC 7. Who knows where it will all go from here.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=wrc+5
~220,000 WRC 5 copies sold globally across all platforms

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=wrc+6
~60,000 WRC 6 copies sold globally across all platforms

http://steamdb.info/app/354160/graphs
~34,000 WRC 5 Steam owners

http://steamdb.info/app/458770/graphs
~30,000 WRC 6 Steam owners

I don't know how accurate those numbers are, but it looks like WRC 5 & 6 combined didn't even sell 400,000 copies across all platforms.

Steams reviews & MetaCritic aggregate scores are generally not good for WRC 5 & 6.

I'm genuinely wondering how they can keep up the costs of licensing, development, & publishing with such low sales figures & such bad reception.

Some of the WRC 7 videos look good, but I also can't help but wonder why anyone would be confident enough to buy WRC 7 after such bad showings with WRC 5 & 6. I'm also wondering how good the post-launch support WRC 7 might be.

I guess I'm just having trouble evaluating whether or not I would consider buying WRC 7 at some point because it looks good but the series also appears to have a sketchy history.