DiRTy Gossip Thread

dgeesi0 said:
dgeesi0 said:
the thing is porky its one of the best rally games made.i hope many dont miss out on this based on previous titles.lazy or not they produced the goods this time.
It's not even in the Top 10 of rally games. 
you have played it less than two hrs. it takes more than that to get the wheel settings right.it is a great game.its okay to like other games. i just done wales for the first time its dirt rally good.some parts even better . i dont mind if some dont buy it you can see some have already made their mind up based on previous titles which is a bit daft really. have a open mind try it properly then decide.

how can you say its bad if you havent played it or set up a wheel correctly ? seen it with dirt rally. you dont get it right in under two hrs.

honestly this is how it is when you get it right.

better than dirt 4 fullstop.there isnt anything in dirt 4 better.i love codie games but its not even close. the more i play it its dirt rally good.some bits are even better.so the sound maybe not as good.who cares ! im after the driving experience which in many areas either matches dirt rally or surpasses it.

wales just now and many of you know i mainly hammered wales on dirt rally.so i know it well it was amazing.in wrc 7 i can feel the gravel but i can also feel the mud and road changes.i can feel the weight of the car on the surfaces.which in dirt rally you couldnt.the cars were very light.

so yes sounds and somethings arent perfect but if you put in the effort you will get your reward. if modders or the devs tweak it make the few annoyances better it will be better than dirt rally.thats from a dirt rally nut.
thats like me saying, with a few more rallies under my belt, I could be better than Sebastien Loeb, which is absolute nonsense. 
I agree with the fact that saying with improvements in key areas like sound or FFB support is nonsense, because these things are almost certainly not going to be changed in this game. But with the next release, if they keep on improving like that, we could be facing a really good game in every aspect and pretty close to DiRT Rally based on what I've heard. So WRC8 could be a truly great game and there's nothing bad with it as I already said.

I can't tell about that Sebastien Loeb thing but you have to admit he's quite a high target ;)

And this is why i play with Keyboard - no dumb FFB problems! ;D ;D ....

*leaves*

I think i will try it soon... someday. I personally played only Milestone WRC games, not a single Kylotonn one yet.

I tried the Axis Detection feature but, WRC7 did not detect the OSW steering axis at all. It's too bad because I really wanted to give it a go but, already refunded so unless I see something that suggests the developers have improved the controller support, I won't likely be pursuing it again if it takes more than 2 hours to figure out.

I had a similar experience with Dirt 4 due to the DSD hand-brake not being supported where it took me more than 2 hours to get the menus to stop scrolling and figure out that it just wasn't possible to get the hand-brake to work at all. The console development approach to PC games seems to have some serious short-comings that need to be addressed.  Why game developers have trouble understanding this is beyond me but, it leaves a pretty poor taste in one's mouth regarding the studio.

@Scyy what you are describing is exactly what was mentioned in the video and he got it working. Please see my post above (the one right before yours): http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/comment/302299/#Comment_302299
Thank you @LudwigVonMises I'll try this out once I'm back on my computer. I will say the game seemed like it could be decent but only getting 0% and 100% throttle and brake inputs was really pissing me off when I was trying it.

My excuse for not seeing your post is it was late and i just wanted to post my findings since others were curious about multi inputs. Once I try out what they were saying on isr I'll post back if it all works out.

I've been having a bash at WRC 7, and I find it's a good simcade game. Anybody expecting anything more realistic is being a bit daft, given restrictions of accessibility with the brand. 

I'm not taking the game seriously because of this, and due to the chase cam being excellent (like GTA V) I'm actually just having chill sessions using that. It's nice to see the cars as you drive 'em, especially when the visuals are pretty good. 

Worth noting - the landscapes and stages are fantastic. Argentina in particular is great. 

The stages do blow Dirt Rally out of the water, & I loved the DR stages .  The scale & sense of speed are a lot more believable in WRC 7.  With DiRT Rally, it sometimes felt you were driving a caricature of a stage at warp-speed. 

Yes, DiRT Rally handled better and sounded better, but if you could blend the handling of WRC 7 with DiRT Rally, you would have a game that would be unrivalled in the genre.  

Im quite happy I bought it

Kylotonn put up the tech support stage. List of supported peripherals and a contact form for technical assistance: https://www.wrcthegame.com/en/technical-support

On the Facebook page there are discussions about technical issues: https://www.facebook.com/wrcofficialgame/

Some banter on RaceDepartment: http://www.racedepartment.com/forums/wrc-7-the-game.444/

Someone might find something useful in these links, or you could submit a ticket for tech support with the first link.

Scyy said:
@Scyy what you are describing is exactly what was mentioned in the video and he got it working. Please see my post above (the one right before yours): http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/comment/302299/#Comment_302299
Thank you @LudwigVonMises I'll try this out once I'm back on my computer. I will say the game seemed like it could be decent but only getting 0% and 100% throttle and brake inputs was really pissing me off when I was trying it.

My excuse for not seeing your post is it was late and i just wanted to post my findings since others were curious about multi inputs. Once I try out what they were saying on isr I'll post back if it all works out.
If you get it working let me know.  I have Clubsport V2 pedals hooked up independently from my Clubsport wheel.

@griev0r So after some more playing I think I jumped to a conclusion. While it says it's a button it does seem to act as an axis now that I've tested strictly for it. I think i was to tired last night to really control the throttle properly so it felt wide open most of the time. That being said it still never shows up in the axis detection menu and the brakes feel off and since I can't look at the axis I can't verify.

Another issue that is rather annoying is when the game sets the steering lock it never changes back after I exit the game. I have to use the settings menu on the cswv2.5 to switch steering lock from aut to another value and back again. So you can imagine how off it felt when I played dirt 4 again with the steering lock already set there so it was taking that rotation off of the already lowered rotation setting. Felt like I was driving in an f1 car hitting lock with half a rotation. It's not a game breaker but first time I've ever had this happen on this wheel and frankly shouldn't happen. I'm sure this is probably only affecting certain rig combinations though.

All that being said the stages are great and the physics really surprised me in a good way. I still feel that dirt is better in the physics department but this is definitely better than wrc6.

Don't know what game you guys are playing but i've just requested a refund on Steam. Absolutely horrible physics. Terrible FFB, and **** vehicle sounds as per usual. Another year of disappointment.
To be honest, the physics are ok.  I completely agree on the FFB.  If they detailed the FFB a bit more, they're onto a winner.  There's a great Rally game hidden under the simplistic FFB

Watching Georg Ortner's stream and thinking I may be interested in having a go at WRC7 but I have a few questions.

Primarily, how many kilometres of stage are there per country? Is it just the ~20km stage split up into smaller sections, with no reverse stage options, or are the smaller stages (not SSSs) unique too?

Is FOV changeable? Most vids I've seen have a narrower FOV than I'd prefer, so just checking.

Does anyone know if the awful co-driver is moddable on PC? The calls I've seen in vids all seem fine, but it almost seems like they've gone out of their way to make them sounds as inconsistent as possible.

Small thing, but are all R5 cars represented one way or another? Is there a Hyundai?

Like any rally game, if I like it I expect to get fed up of the stages before anything else, so very curious to know this.

Sounds, co-driver and lack of old RWD cars are my biggest concerns so far, but tempted to get involved even if just to encourage the devs to keep following this direction.

Thanks

@RodgerDavies I can answer some of your questions below:

Primarily, how many kilometres of stage are there per country? Is it just the ~20km stage split up into smaller sections, with no reverse stage options, or are the smaller stages (not SSSs) unique too?
Each rally has 4 stages. 13 rallies x 4 stages = 52 stages. They are all unique. Eight of those 52 stages are recreations of real SSS. There are no repeated sections anywhere. Each rally has either:
  1. Three SS + One Epic Stage (the long ones)
  2. Two SS + One SSS + One Epic Stage
Usually there is one short stage (~5km), a couple medium ones (~7-10km) and the epic stages range from 12-23km. Just a guesstimate is around 35km per rally (less for those rallies with SSS). Sometimes there are iconic areas that are recreated, such as the jump at the end of Fafe in Portugal.

Is FOV changeable? Most vids I've seen have a narrower FOV than I'd prefer, so just checking.
You can't change FOV. The only thing you can change in the cockpit is moving the seat forward and back (five preset positions). Works for me but I know it's annoying not being able to change FOV width-wise.

Does anyone know if the awful co-driver is moddable on PC? The calls I've seen in vids all seem fine, but it almost seems like they've gone out of their way to make them sounds as inconsistent as possible.
Not sure if it's moddable. But at least most of the notes are informative and correct.

Small thing, but are all R5 cars represented one way or another? Is there a Hyundai?
All 2016 & 2017 WRC, 2017 WRC2 and 2017 JWRC cars and teams are present, plus the Porsche 911 as DLC.

This video shows all stages and cars:

https://youtu.be/MDMhNsvf68Q

Thanks is for the answers @LudwigVonMises - quick and informative. Disappointed (and surprised) about FOV but I'll give it a shot anyway. Pretty sure some WRC2 entrants are missing (I think Andolfi and maybe Sarrazin ran a Hyundai somewhere) but it's not the end of the world; the other 4 are there.

Crucial though, positive physics reviews and there being 30-40km in the 13 countries means I'll definitely give it a shot - will take some time to memorise all those!

Another random question; do AI drivers have any sort of personality? Does Paddon excel on gravel but falter on tarmac and is Meeke fast but inconsistent? Any other observations about AI ability on hardest settings (struggled with D4 due to how easy it was on hardest settings in career).

Each rally has 4 stages. 13 rallies x 4 stages = 52 stages. They are all unique. Eight of those 52 stages are recreations of real SSS. There are no repeated sections anywhere.
The Review from ISR claimed that the epic stages included some of the smaller ones.
EDIT: watching the posted video of all stages, you also see, that some stages are repeated in the epic ones.

Another random question; do AI drivers have any sort of personality? Does Paddon excel on gravel but falter on tarmac and is Meeke fast but inconsistent? Any other observations about AI ability on hardest settings (struggled with D4 due to how easy it was on hardest settings in career).
Of the footage I have seen, Meeke has only once been in the top ten.  As he's normally either winning, or rockin' rally2, the drivers may have life-like traits  o:)

Slowish said:
I tried the Axis Detection feature but, WRC7 did not detect the OSW steering axis at all. It's too bad because I really wanted to give it a go but, already refunded so unless I see something that suggests the developers have improved the controller support, I won't likely be pursuing it again if it takes more than 2 hours to figure out.
Same here. Hoped I would be able to use the axis detection but to no avail. A user defined controller setup using any axis or buttons detected by Windows seems a straightforward enough solution to cover all bases but seems to elude too many devs it  seems. Also refunded before I triggered the 2 hours of fiddling point!

SkyRex said:

Each rally has 4 stages. 13 rallies x 4 stages = 52 stages. They are all unique. Eight of those 52 stages are recreations of real SSS. There are no repeated sections anywhere.
The Review from ISR claimed that the epic stages included some of the smaller ones.
EDIT: watching the posted video of all stages, you also see, that some stages are repeated in the epic ones.

That's what made me curious - disappointing if so

I've played more of the game now, and am liking it more and more. 

I'm really loving the chase cam in the game, and it brings back very fond memories of the old Evo Studios WRC games with how loose it is, which is great. Like I said before, it's kind of like the GTA V cam. Also, a bonus about chase cam is that the cars don't actually sound bad, whereas on bonnet cam they sound horrendous. 

I'll say again, the stage design is fantastic, with a lot of attention to detail. The overall visual presentation is a huge step forward. I'm impressed with the car models and lighting especially.

The co-driver still sounds rubbish, but at least the pacenotes are now delivered at a proper pace. 

SkyRex said:

That's what made me curious - disappointing if so
Yes, confirmed. Be disappointed. The Epic Stages contain the smaller stages. Not sure if it's in their entirety or just parts since I haven't played it yet. For example, Los Gigantes in Argentina contains El Cóndor according to one of my DiRT Rally league buddies who bought WRC 7.

Oh well, I guess it's better than nothing.

I broke down and opened a Spanish PSN account to buy the game 10 days before its release in the Americas. Downloading now.

@RodgerDavies I now have an AI reference for you. My DR league buddy on an 8km stage in Poland, on Difficult, which is one step below the hardest difficulty, he said the current world record time would have beat the AI by only two seconds.

Steam recently had Sebastien Loeb Rally EVO on sale at 80% off for only $5.99 (US), so I decided to try it after watching a few YouTube videos of the game in action.

Admittedly, I'm not a super serious rally fan or a hardcore rally sim player, but the game seems fun to me so far. Lots of cars, stages, & modes. Looks & sounds mostly decent. Some customization/personalization options. Good atmosphere, presentation, & menus. I haven't noticed any critical game-breaking functional/technical issues yet.

I wouldn't be a good judge for how authentic/realistic the physics & FFB are. For all I know, maybe hardcore rally sim purists might think this game's handling & FFB are for "arcade kids." I have not yet driven all of the cars & tracks in the game, but the cars I've tried so far feel a little floaty to me on gravel, almost like trying to steer a jet-ski in the water. Tarmac driving feels nice & grippy to me though. The front-wheel drive cars I've tried feel like they spin way too easily when braking (even only very light braking).

The game seems quite accessible. So far, I'm finding it pleasantly smooth to just casually pick-up-&-play the single-player modes without fussing too much over trying to "git gud."

I'm sure it's not the world's greatest rally game ever, but it seems well worth 6 bucks to me. ;)

Ok so I got the game, trying to use my Clubsport V1 wheel and V2 pedals.  I can't enter the game with any buttons on the wheel, I have the BMW rim.  So I have to hit enter on my keyboard then it defaults to Xbox controller, doesn't pick up the wheel axis and I can't map my throttle and brake.  Any advice how to fix this

I've tried to do the 'change controller' when I get into options but it doesn't pick up any buttons from my wheel or pedals.  HOW can their wheel support still be this bad.  So frustrating.

nbates66 said:
FlattJern said:
Don't know what game you guys are playing but i've just requested a refund on Steam. Absolutely horrible physics. Terrible FFB, and **** vehicle sounds as per usual. Another year of disappointment.
I agree. The game is horrible. The input lag is totally killing the handling. 
The shortest review you ever need: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdhInvUmJjE
What sort of video settings you using? being somewhat a console focused game I suspect that the engine of WRC 7 might be quite reliant on fixed 60FPS and vsync on for consistent results, the only thing I can think of that can explain such varied "responses" people are having to it.

Not quite sold on getting WRC 7 yet, gotta wait for everyones initial "rose tinted" responses to wear off, just like with Dirt 4 :)

I had a lot of stutter problems as others have reporte in the reviews, so I put everything on low and turned off everything that could be turned off since I have experienced the same lag problem with one of the graphic settings in DiRT4. Can`t remember which on though. Tried VSync on/off too and played around with the steering settings. Nothing helped. But I did get rid of the stutter with the lowest settings. It was virtually impossible to drive when sliding as the countersteer would continue a bit after straightening out with the wheel. So zig-zagging down a straight just was no fun for me..;) 

Just to make clear: 
I was driving in HoodCam at first when I felt the lag, and only changed to HeadCam to confirm what i was feeling. 
There might be additional lag in the animation, and that steady speed on the steering wheel turn might not represent
what the wheels are doing, but is feels exactly like that! 

Cheers :)