DiRTy Gossip Thread

JZStudios said:
You're concerned about AI in a PC racing sim? Here's a hint, it'll be terrible like every other game.
After years of neglect AI is starting to get some proper attention and matters to games trying to be more realistic. Hopefully using AI as mobile chicanes for a gameplay style of bashing to the front from the back in two laps will become a thing of the past and games will be judged on how human like the AI is - after all that is what the science of artificial intelligence is all about!

Far from perfect maybe, the AI in PC2 was shaping up well in the WMD testing prior to the release version tomorrow.

JZStudios said:

Slowish said:

Its the opposite for me, PC1 lacks a certain visceral quality that I get with AC / AMS / rF2; it's a feeling of being very connected to the car, acutely attuned to the behavior, tires, grip levels, etc. With PC1, I just didn't get that same satisfaction of being able to balance the car on the edge, sensing the threshold of grip. With PC2, SMS claim to have addressed such issues but, we'll see.  I have no doubt it will look good and it seems the audio has improved but, the AI and overall handling and FFB are my bigger concerns going in.
You're concerned about AI in a PC racing sim? Here's a hint, it'll be terrible like every other game.
I just liked PCars because it didn't look like crap, it actually ran smoother (but at a lower framerate) than AC, and there's much more available options, as well as AI that actually was better than AC's but still not great. Once you get the FFB set up properly it's actually pretty good, but you can still feel the limits of the game engine.
I'm still not sure where the "connection" to the road in AC is, I've certainly never found it. I have found however that almost every car feels exactly the same in terms of FFB. And doing hot laps in a 2015 sim that looks like something from 2001 because the AI sucks isn't particularly thrilling. The best thing about AC is the proper triple screen support, but that only goes so far.
AC's AI has improved a lot in recent months, enough so that they are probably a lot better than most people in online races I've seen. :D

"Connection" is pretty subjective and can be greatly affected by hardware and many other factors but, rF2 and AMS are a bit better in that area. Still, AC's isn't so far off that I can't adapt to it and enjoy it.  PC1 was good at "Racing Immersion" but, poor in terms of "Driving Immersion" for me.

I've been critical of certain aspects of AC - Lord Kunos doesn't like me either but, in some cases, he has changed his mind and made significant improvements so I have to give him that. The Sim-Racing community has to be one of the hardest to please that there is.

Slowish said:

I've been critical of certain aspects of AC - Lord Kunos doesn't like me either but, in some cases, he has changed his mind and made significant improvements so I have to give him that. The Sim-Racing community has to be one of the hardest to please that there is.

Naw, the internet is hard to please!

dwkGravey said:
Slowish said:
Let's see how the RallyX turns out in PC2 first but, also keeping in mind IB was tipping back a few in the interview process.
Don't crush my dreams of an SMS Fast & Furious game
Pretty much all but confirmed. The rally project would be something else. Apparently their physics engine is so scaleable they can do anything they want.

I get the feeling that the addition of dirt stuff in PC2 is more testing the waters rather than an intential attempt at a separate game mode.

JZStudios said:
After years of neglect AI is starting to get some proper attention and matters to games trying to be more realistic. Hopefully using AI as mobile chicanes for a gameplay style of bashing to the front from the back in two laps will become a thing of the past and games will be judged on how human like the AI is - after all that is what the science of artificial intelligence is all about!

Far from perfect maybe, the AI in PC2 was shaping up well in the WMD testing prior to the release version tomorrow.

I kind of want to pick up an old Xbox and the original Forza. Maybe it's because I was a kid and didn't know much, but the physics and AI I found to be more than adequate. Didn't randomly slam the brakes or drive off the road all the time, which the new "drivatars" do.
In other news, FM7 is apparently shaping up rather poorly, which is quite disappointing. Not sure where/how/when/why they seemingly just started going way off track.

JZStudios said:
JZStudios said:

I kind of want to pick up an old Xbox and the original Forza. Maybe it's because I was a kid and didn't know much, but the physics and AI I found to be more than adequate. Didn't randomly slam the brakes or drive off the road all the time, which the new "drivatars" do.
In other news, FM7 is apparently shaping up rather poorly, which is quite disappointing. Not sure where/how/when/why they seemingly just started going way off track.
I played original Forza again around when Forza 4 was about to come out. Found it pretty awful tbh after playing 3 a lot. The sensation of speed was really lacking compared the 360 games. 

JZStudios said:
JZStudios said:

I was 15 or 16 when I laid eyes on Gran Turismo and I can still remember the day my mate and I first saw it running in store: we were both stood gawping at the screen for a good few minutes before we picked up the controllers, our tiny minds blown by the graphics we were seeing...

...I revisited the first GT not long ago and it looks pretty terrible now! The handling was certainly better than most games of the era, but I don't think you always realize how much things have progressed.  

That said, I spend as much of my gaming time now playing 16 Bit games as I do current-gen stuff!

SamRWD said:
Operator1 said:

Around the 6:06:07 mark in this Project CARS 2 live-stream, SMS CEO Ian Bell says:

"...I think we're going to split the franchise and start making the world's best loose racing game, as in rally, as in rallycross, as in loose surface..."

Look out, DiRT.

That's epic. Maybe if they supported mods it would be even better, but maybe they will allow mods in a new franchise, and even if they don't they never promised they will not do anything to prevent a game from being modded only to ban people with modded textures. I am looking forward to see what comes.

Having backed Pcars2 a few years back and been following the progress of the dirt handling from early development to retail... I wouldn't go getting all excited!

Don't get me wrong, It's all right... but It's not the messiah of dirt handing.

^ WELL the weight of the cars look right in dirt on PC2 ................so far in videos.
OT: Wasnt there a flying game (Redbull air races) in the works by SMS? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE47fHq-CLw                            

I haven't spent much time in PC2 RallyX yet but, from my initial impressions, I think it could be quite fun. I wanted to get as much time testing tarmac as possible within the 2-hour refund window but, I think I'm going to keep it and explore what the title has to offer.

Pcars2 handling isn't on par with AC / rF2 / AMS for me but, it should be fun and the overall handling and FFB is definitely improved over PC1 from my early testing. The car handling quality seems a bit inconsistent but, I have reason to believe I can improve the steering a bit with some further tweaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2z5iuRXh0A

That PC 2 footage looks OK. You can tell cars accelerate and brake realistic way, weight transfer is there too.
EDIT: Although that wet grawel doesn't seem to have any softness to it- no ruts etc.

Slowish said:
No ruts! They just stop cars from sliding  . . . :p :D
Only when Codemasters tries to do them :pensive:
WRC 7 review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF8mdMNfXPc
They say physics are really nice.

I think too that the physics of WRC 7 are nice which is only a good thing because competition is always needed and it will push Codemasters to improve their physics in future if they want to stay competitive. Here’s my video which shows it well that WRC 7 really is a solid rally game in terms of gameplay and it does some things better and some things worse than DiRT Rally and DiRT 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFdBv_rW5v8

I’m very happy that Codemasters lets us discuss other games here too. I like all rally games and like to talk about the good and bad sides of them politely without any fanboyism because I believe that can be useful for the developers reading the forums as well :)

thats the thing.to make a truly great game you have to try and tick as many boxes as possible.the thing is would you take a worse co driver call out over handling ? tried some different settings on wrc 7 yesterday and my god the cars are even better than when i first tried them. the changes you can make really help. they was good at default but with tweaks awesome.

it will be interesting to see when codies announce the next rally title and i hope all the info/debate/mistakes have all been taken on so the next title is great.looking forward to it. actually a great time for games with so much rally stuff about.

Announce a new game??? Too soon to announce a new game, its been only like 3 months, development cycle isn't that quick! :D The soonest reasonable time for an announcement is like 10 months away and you know it, especially after the reception DiRT 4 had.

So I've dialed in the steering as best i can when it comes to WRC7. FFB is very mediocre at best, but I must say the 2017 handles very well on gravel. Grip wise they seem to be pretty close to what we see on the onboards from WRC, and you can really feel the aero do it's work when the speed is high.

Graphics are hit and miss. Stages look good and car models are well done. Still things can look a bit strange now and then when watching the extremely sub par replay system that is 5% TV cams and 95% gopro cams.

Audio is also hit and miss, but I must say they really nailed the gravel spray sound. It increases when you get the car at an angle, something that is missing in D4.
The co-driver sounds very robotic but I can live with that as the the calls are very good.

If only they could get rid of the horrible dynamic FOV and give us a static adjustable one and let us lock the camera from bouncing around.

Recorded a run in the Fiesta WRC in Australia.

https://youtu.be/eTfyEfWApAc

Also, something just came to mind, if people should have issues with (micro)stuttering in WRC 7, perhaps starting the game as administrator might solve it.
I've had that problem with DR and that solved it for me.