DiRTy Gossip Thread

Has anyone been able to pull off the two donuts on the Barcelona SSS? I can nearly drift around the whole donut in an R5 car with an extreme setup but I can't even get halfway around one with the 2017 cars. Physics flaw or do I just suck?

I am aware that it is probably really difficult in the new cars given that even the real drivers struggle around the tight SSS turns this year.

Electronic Centre Diff likely throws the torque forward in a ‘17 car

Has anyone been able to pull off the two donuts on the Barcelona SSS? I can nearly drift around the whole donut in an R5 car with an extreme setup but I can't even get halfway around one with the 2017 cars. Physics flaw or do I just suck?

I am aware that it is probably really difficult in the new cars given that even the real drivers struggle around the tight SSS turns this year.
The low speed turns is quite tricky as I feel the car bogs down at those speeds or just spins freely. You cant really power through those turns like expect.

bogani said:

The low speed turns is quite tricky as I feel the car bogs down at those speeds or just spins freely. You cant really power through those turns like expect.
I don't have much problem with low speed turns. I always lock the rear diff on tarmac as the default setups are too neutral for me. If I start bogging down or understeering usually a tap of the brake is enough to unsettle the car enough to continue powering out. But you do have to have a lot of rotating inertia entering the tight turns to be able to successfully pull them off. It's similar to the way I have to prepare turn-in in SLRE for hairpins.

But those damn donuts, I just can't drift around those for the life of me. In real life since these tight SSS urban stages are one-offs I am pretty sure the teams must run some real extreme setups for those. I'll have to try next time something like fully locked rear diff, torque bias to the rear, hard rear suspension and rollbar, and hard tires. Damn, that makes me want to try it out right now but I can't LOL. The tire choice just ocurred to me as I write this. The default is soft. Using hard might help a lot.

So I just tried PCars 2 for the first time, and man, what a blast. Seriously. First off, the presentation is miles ahead of the original, everything was autodetected and worked out the gate (minus my separate pedals which were malfunctioning), and oh my god, proper triple screen support. Not just "Oh, it technically works," but full proper support. The FFB out the gate actually felt really nice if a bit heavy. I tried the KTM X-Bow around Laguna Seca, and I sure as hell enjoyed myself. I haven't enjoyed myself in AC since... well pretty much ever.
The optimization is also pretty damn great, running triple screens (5760x1080) maxed out (Minus motion blur + AA) with a full field on a 960 got me about 35-40FPS. And this card is notoriously "underpowered" You single screener guys could easily get triple digits.
Honestly, I'm extremely impressed by what they've pulled off. I only did a few laps so can't quite account for AI, but hot damn, even just hotlapping on my own seems like it'll be fun.
Oh, and the sound, it's awesome. True proper surround support, not AC's cheap terrible directional sounds or DiRT's (Though the sounds are QUITE good) limited soundstage. It really sounded like I had a beast behind me, and all the AI cars swarming around. And I haven't even really tweaked any settings yet.
I know some of you guys are hesitant because of SMS and Ian, but just give it a quick try and hop in to a quick event. Realistic? Undetermined as of yet, but initial gut instincts says "Yes" and the smiles and strange howling laughter are gonna keep me playing.

Well tried PC2 also with wrx. My wheel was recognized but I had to do lots of tweeks to make it drivable. The menu is OK but it is not possible to have a list of RX tracks (when already choosen an rx car) so I had to search in that big pile of circuits.

Well lets go racing. At first let the adjustments as they are and just start a race. The startlights are not from rallycross. The AI is really terrible in the first 2 corners so going to first place is way to easy. And then the sound. Spoiled by the great sound of dirt is sound terrible. Then the driving. Forget about the agressive style of dirt. This is about taking it cautius and let out mistakes. Different but nice. Tarmac sliding is how it should feel, gravel could be better that more or less feels like driving in the rain. So overall fun to drive if only the AI was better.

I also tried some online rallycross. The fun is there in the races I did but a pitty the game crashed several times to desktop when I was in a lobby.

On a scale from 0-10 I would give it a 7, somewhere between dirt 4 and dirt rally which is still ahead.

Somewhere between Dirt 4 and DiRT Rally...

I would say every driving game I have ever played, falls into that range - lol

Other thing is, SMS are transparent enough to have given a road map for the year ahead. We know there will be four more DLC packs and a year of ongoing support.

Like many games, despite glowing pre-launch previews & reviews, now that retail launch is here, Project CARS 2 forums & user reviews are flooded with customers reporting various bugs/issues.

I hope they patch it up quick. I've been looking forward to playing it, but I never pre-order or buy on launch day for this very reason. I bought Project CARS 1 too soon & got a sour start with it due to various issues I encountered. I'd like to start off Project CARS 2 with a more positive vibe, and I think that'll be easier for me if I wait to buy until after some of the bigger issues are patched so I'll have a smoother playing experience.

Operator1 said:

Like many games, despite glowing pre-launch previews & reviews, now that retail launch is here, Project CARS 2 forums & user reviews are flooded with customers reporting various bugs/issues.

I hope they patch it up quick. I've been looking forward to playing it, but I never pre-order or buy on launch day for this very reason. I bought Project CARS 1 too soon & got a sour start with it due to various issues I encountered. I'd like to start off Project CARS 2 with a more positive vibe, and I think that'll be easier for me if I wait to buy until after some of the bigger issues are patched so I'll have a smoother playing experience.

Again I haven't played much, but I do find it interesting that the triple screen support is actually kind of funky. Much like AC you set up all your monitor parameters, except that it doesn't seem to change the FOV. There's also a really weird thing with clouds I noticed on California Highway, they act like they're forward facing sprites and when they transition from one monitor to another you can see them spin around in a fairly goofy way.
But hey, I was right about the AI, they're not great. I'll have to browse the SMS forums for bugs, but most people complained about the AI and said they were going back to AC... because their AI is brilliant.

JZStudios said:
Operator1 said:

Again I haven't played much, but I do find it interesting that the triple screen support is actually kind of funky. Much like AC you set up all your monitor parameters, except that it doesn't seem to change the FOV. There's also a really weird thing with clouds I noticed on California Highway, they act like they're forward facing sprites and when they transition from one monitor to another you can see them spin around in a fairly goofy way.
But hey, I was right about the AI, they're not great. I'll have to browse the SMS forums for bugs, but most people complained about the AI and said they were going back to AC... because their AI is brilliant.

It is true, AC AI have improved a lot in recent months; not rF2 level but, probably among some of the better AI in racing Sim's although, AMS recent updates seem very good as well.

Slowish said:
JZStudios said:
Operator1 said:

It is true, AC AI have improved a lot in recent months; not rF2 level but, probably among some of the better AI in racing Sim's although, AMS recent updates seem very good as well.
The reports I hear about AI along every sim racing front is that they all suck. AC's AI was broken garbage for what, 3 years?
Congrats, they finally made it not broken garbage, aren't they the best dev team in the world?

assetto has some of the best tarmac physics but you really have to play about to get them right.that's a big problem with racing / rally games many people don't set them up right say games bad when it just needs a bit of time and effort to see they good games. assetto and nords is some of racing finest on pc.

dgeesi0 said:
assetto has some of the best tarmac physics but you really have to play about to get them right.that's a big problem with racing / rally games many people don't set them up right say games bad when it just needs a bit of time and effort to see they good games. assetto and nords is some of racing finest on pc.
What's to mess with?

@JZStudios
I'm digging the sim is bullshit. :)

Now I simply Trail brake longer, understeer by steering over the limit or lift off until I get to the apex.

If you do that in real life, the car spin out. Racing simulator is all about decelerating before the apex & accelerate after the apex, not much authentic handling is involved. You can try different sims. Even if you are early on throttle & leave that ball on neutral, the exit speed is slower due to math. Feathering before the apex is a no no in sims.

I stopped to count the number of time Shawn state the other driver was early on the gas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qRALCliS8M
The sad truth is Shawn was the one early on the gas & it's the reason he was slower. It's about starting to accelerate at the apex to maximize traction acceleration.

getting the right lines is so important mostly the reason the other guy is faster is because he is doing it right.

For a good example of choosing proper lines, check out the tutorials made by Aristotelis (Kunos). While basic, they demonstrate the differences in racing-lines very effectively as well as small setup changes such as optimizing tire pressure and brake-bias.  Watching the video and then putting it into practice in AC really showed me how small differences can make the difference - especially in consistency; my lap-times are so much more consistent than ever before.

It's one thing to read about Race-craft and understand the underlying concepts, it's another is to put it into practice using a template that accelerates learning and solidifies the cause & effect.  It also shows that AC does it right.

dgeesi0 said:
getting the right lines is so important mostly the reason the other guy is faster is because he is doing it right.
No, the difference is minimal in the demonstration. Personally some lines were better by Shawn. I mainly point out the largest reason of the large gap difference of lap time. The driving line wasn't enough different to make that much of a difference.

Perception in driving sim is different than real life. You end up braking much deeper & start to accelerate much later, because the car doesn't spin out.

In AC you can steer like a complete moron & understeer As long as you respect the racing line, deceleration before the apex & acceleration after the apex... You get a decent time.

Slowish said:
For a good example of choosing proper lines, check out the tutorials made by Aristotelis (Kunos). While basic, they demonstrate the differences in racing-lines very effectively as well as small setup changes such as optimizing tire pressure and brake-bias.  Watching the video and then putting it into practice in AC really showed me how small differences can make the difference - especially in consistency; my lap-times are so much more consistent than ever before.

It's one thing to read about Race-craft and understand the underlying concepts, it's another is to put it into practice using a template that accelerates learning and solidifies the cause & effect.  It also shows that AC does it right.

All sim is about correct, just that there's things not simulated or made forgiving & you can profit around it. They all have strength & weakness. Although all of them is in the forgiving side of driving.

I'm simply pointing out that the simpit video is incorrect & misleading mistake due to lack of driving input from the other player, only by judging from the game replay.

Something to distract you for a little while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg6L_7qLIEQ
Fuck yeah that is awesome, love the honicorn, now I want to see Mad Mike from NZ go up ther in the radbull

Something to distract you for a little while:

There is a great feature on Speedhunters looking behind the scenes of the video: 

http://www.speedhunters.com/2017/09/behind-scenes-climbkhana/

ASomething to distract you for a little while:

That was amazing <3 love the way they also paid homage to Vatanen's run with the 405

MrDeap said:
Slowish said:

All sim is about correct, just that there's things not simulated or made forgiving & you can profit around it. They all have strength & weakness. Although all of them is in the forgiving side of driving.

I'm simply pointing out that the simpit video is incorrect & misleading mistake due to lack of driving input from the other player, only by judging from the game replay.
the thing about racing or anything is there is no one way of doing anything ! look at anyone whos great been the best not all doing it " the right way "
i will use snooker for eg. Stephen hendry master cue man won everything many times. totally still almost robotic . in his hay day one of the best ever. then look at ronnie o sullivan.totally different plays of instinct and natural skill. both play different both the best.

look at drivers from whenever and compare the greats.you will get exactly the same.there is no one way of anything only what works for you.racing or rally is about the final time.so player 1 could do something better on corners but lose to player 2 on another area.what matters is the final time so what they do in between or how they do it doesnt really matter as long as they win cross the line first.

as long as you know what to do to improve your own time to succeed then thats all that matters.