DiRTy Gossip Thread

never understood ..................you watch any video of drivers and biggest issue always is tire choice .So why  we cant have that in a rally "sim" 

never understood ..................you watch any video of drivers and biggest issue always is tire choice .So why  we cant have that in a rally "sim" 

Stages aren't long enough. Softs would always be fastest as the would last so there would be no gamble. 
Monte is ofcourse another story, but we would need more stage variety.

Basically the game would need more weather variation to make tyre choice interesting which is a tough ask to develop (not impossible as pcars 2 has shown), and it would need to not give you all the information about the weather so that some people get it wrong which would make some people angry. Definitely not as simple as just giving tyre choice (which the wrc series does but you basically just pick soft on short stages and hards on epic stages which is not interesting at all)

Yeah, it's not worth it IMO, plenty of other developments I'd personally prefer to see over tyres and weather variation during a ten minute stage.

isnt there plenty of sub-10k stages currently? we could lock in TIRE choice so  youre stuck with it for a few ,until service.
   IMHO it would give variations in traction/ surface grip and would be great to have that .As if you made wrong choice , you lose.
this is just my opinions.Its a sim if all is simualted.Since its a big parts of rallying,it could be in the games .

I think the first thing we need is longer stages with more variety in them. I like to watch onboards of the WRC because of the great driving but also because the scenery changes and every stage feels a little bit like a journey, you see different places with individual characteristics and so on...
With these kind of stages, and longer pauses between service parks, tyre choice could be interesting, for example in a 3 stages loop with lenghts of 25, 10 and 18 km.

Koch Media was bought by THQ.

AFAIK it was the publisher used by Codies.

Also take a look at this, real procedural stages. 

https://youtu.be/ZTvXwXqwat8

https://holymooses.com/PRL/index.php

Procedural Rally Generator & League Home

When DiRT 4 was announced, I was excited to finally get procedural rally stages. But, like many others, I was left disappointed at release with the tile system they used to create their stages. It was the same corners over and over again.
So, in October I decided to try to create procedural stages, and this is where I'm at now!

My procedural rally generator is a program written in C++ that creates procedural stages without the use of tiles. It generates the terrain, road, trees, and vegetation from scratch. The only thing not procedural is the textures used in the track.

All stages generated are made to be compatible with any moddable sim or game out there, and should work well for sims/games released in the future as well. Currently, my main testing platform is Assetto Corsa due to how easy it is to mod, and I have server infrastructure for it for the league.

I'm working on this project during my free time, and if you'd like to support my work you can donate to me through PayPal (link/button above)!

@KickUp  hire that guy. 

versedi said:
Koch Media was bought by THQ.

AFAIK it was the publisher used by Codies.

Also take a look at this, real procedural stages. 

https://youtu.be/ZTvXwXqwat8

https://holymooses.com/PRL/index.php

Procedural Rally Generator & League Home

When DiRT 4 was announced, I was excited to finally get procedural rally stages. But, like many others, I was left disappointed at release with the tile system they used to create their stages. It was the same corners over and over again.
So, in October I decided to try to create procedural stages, and this is where I'm at now!

My procedural rally generator is a program written in C++ that creates procedural stages without the use of tiles. It generates the terrain, road, trees, and vegetation from scratch. The only thing not procedural is the textures used in the track.

All stages generated are made to be compatible with any moddable sim or game out there, and should work well for sims/games released in the future as well. Currently, my main testing platform is Assetto Corsa due to how easy it is to mod, and I have server infrastructure for it for the league.

I'm working on this project during my free time, and if you'd like to support my work you can donate to me through PayPal (link/button above)!

@KickUp  hire that guy. 

Amazing stuff! Software that brings real roads into sim game! Created by one guy in his free time! Why we don`t have a rally game using similar tech in 2018? Anyone? 

The previous video is an old version it has improved a lot since then, there is also a pace note generator for assetto corsa that works pretty well already (but could use some improvements) : 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqQAC5UOlXs
From what i tested (demo pack) I would say it's very good, full version should be available in the future, more informations and download are available here :
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/procedurally-generated-rally-league-stage-demo-pack-1.19270/

Yeah that doesn't look to shabby. 

I must say though, I really can't stand the engine sounds in Assetto Corsa. They sound so generic and digital  :s

bogani said:

I must say though, I really can't stand the engine sounds in Assetto Corsa. They sound so generic and digital  :s
We've been really spoiled, haven't we? The bar has been raised too high. This is all your fault, @soundfx!

My word, that's impressive. I mean it's missing junctions and some scenery variety, but some of those vistas and valleys that stretch into the distance look great. For a personal project and an early version, wow. I must read more.

I think it’s basic.

i reckon the CM tile system allows for more complexity, but unfortunately gets repetitive.

the above just looks like a long smooth randomised track, but with trees and rocks.

bogani said:

What I think is funny is that they have decent audio recording equipment, they just don't know what to do with it, much less the audio engine.
Then they tried to ban the guy that made sound mods. :neutral:

Did the modder also said directly to a kunos dev that they had no idea of what they were doing,  and that the handling of his "elantra" was more realistic in forza than in assetto corsa ?   :#
It feel like someone is still "salty"...

Accro2008 said:
Did the modder also said directly to a kunos dev that they had no idea of what they were doing,  and that the handling of his "elantra" was more realistic in forza than in assetto corsa ?   :#
It feel like someone is still "salty"...
No. I did not make sound mods. That was Fonsecker, and he did say they didn't know what they were doing.
I stated that Forza looks visually better than Assetto Corsa.
I also stated that there seemed to be a tinge of understeer and very little body roll in all cars as was exampled in my Elantra. Even the big SUV's seem to be too stable.
Get your facts straight before you start talking smack.
Sure I think the dev's are assholes, but the product doesn't even stand on it's own for it to be worthwhile. Phil Fish is an asshole, and I still liked Fez and wanted a sequel.

i dont think it looks good at all.little boring if im honest.you need variation in the track and to me it just seems like its on a rollercoaster ride.

dgeesi0 said:
i dont think it looks good at all.little boring if im honest.you need variation in the track and to me it just seems like its on a rollercoaster ride.
Oh, aye, it's by no means a finished article and doesn't feel like real road (more an elongated stretch of a road), for a mod project that the author concedes is in early stages...

dgeesi0 said:
Oh, aye, it's by no means a finished article and doesn't feel like real road (more an elongated stretch of a road), for a mod project that the author concedes is in early stages...
Looks like a worthy try at a very difficult task.  

Side note,  can't stop laughing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vNX92GW46E

gfRally said:
dgeesi0 said:
Looks like a worthy try at a very difficult task.  

Side note,  can't stop laughing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vNX92GW46E
Haha! Heard the co-driver interview on the Absolute Rally podcast.

According this web http://www.mondoxbox.com/en/news/62056/rumor-series-v-rally-will-resurrect-at-the-end-of-the-year-with-v-rally-4.html V-Rally 4 will release 23 September 2018

I really hope they look at the V-rally 3 career mode for this new game. It's one of the most immersive career modes in any rally game.