DiRTy Gossip Thread

JZStudios said:
*Edit, GTPlanet cites that Codies, Forza, WRC7, and... Race of champions? have all announced an eSports thing, so maybe AC is joining in, and finally adding leaderboards.
Race of Champions did an eROC event this year using Asseto Corsa

bogani said:

Yeah, but as someone else said, without junctions or landmarks the stages basically just becomes winding endless roads that just seem artificial.

It's still impressive though for a one man job.
True, but that's something we have to accept for now. Until we get to import real world road GPS data into some kind of editor and quickly generate real world stages. X-plane flight simulator does it very well- it uses Open Street database to generate real world road net. Same with building placement. 

Btw, am I alone in thinking D4 uses different scaling? When I switch from D4 to DR everything seems much more narrow in D4. The Swedish roads for example seens much more realistic in width through dash cam in Dirt Rally. I just perceive it as it's easier to see the road ahead in DR.

I double checked with Codies that 0.6 FOV is the exact same value in both titles btw.

I dunno.  To me, Sweden in DR are probably the best rounded stages in the game.  They suit the V2 handling to a T.  They are technical & get you into a real rhythm.  If the stage clicks for the driver, you can properly commit.  & the change in surface really mixed things up.

i played D4 Sweden maybe twice in total....  The handling & the stages just didn’t gel like before

KevM said:
I dunno.  To me, Sweden in DR are probably the best rounded stages in the game.  They suit the V2 handling to a T.  They are technical & get you into a real rhythm.  If the stage clicks for the driver, you can properly commit.  & the change in surface really mixed things up.

i played D4 Sweden maybe twice in total....  The handling & the stages just didn’t gel like before
Yeah Dirt 4's Sweden was pretty poor for some reason.

KevM said:

The narural flow of the road has gone missing to some extent with Your Stage sadly. It's so many strange off cambers and bumps that make driving more of a hassle than a joy. Wales is equally frustrating.

I prefer Michigan since it's pretty flat with lots of crests instead of bumps.

KevM said:

Not "some" reason, it's actually quite obvious.

Too many crests/bumps/terrain changes. It's a rollercoaster. 

bogani said:
Porkhammer said:
KevM said:

The narural flow of the road has gone missing to some extent with Your Stage sadly. It's so many strange off cambers and bumps that make driving more of a hassle than a joy. Wales is equally frustrating.

I prefer Michigan since it's pretty flat with lots of crests instead of bumps.

This.
It destroyed the joy of Wales for me. 

versedi said:
KevM said:

Not "some" reason, it's actually quite obvious.

Too many crests/bumps/terrain changes. It's a rollercoaster. 

I meant more along the lines of "they did it so well in Dirt Rally, so how did they manage to ruin it in Dirt 4?" :D

Dirt 4’s Sweden is the first time I’ve enjoyed Sweden in a rally game. I’ve been driving it in the R4 Subaru and the 2001 Subaru, and been having a lot of fun with the stages when the speed is up and the tires are really grabbing the surface. 

dwkGravey said:
Dirt 4’s Sweden is the first time I’ve enjoyed Sweden in a rally game. I’ve been driving it in the R4 Subaru and the 2001 Subaru, and been having a lot of fun with the stages when the speed is up and the tires are really grabbing the surface. 
I can't tell you not to enjoy it, of course - each to their own! I'm just saying that it's nothing like Sweden at all. Dirt Rally's version was much, much closer to reality. Probably because they used real stages as reference but yeah! :D

I personally really like Wales in Dirt 4 though, while some others do not. Different strokes for different folks. I don't know how accurate it is compared to the real thing. I just know I like the roads.

I personally really like Wales in Dirt 4 though, while some others do not. 
Maybe has something to do with how well people are adapting to the cars behavior transitioning between the extreme downhill and uphill corners(it feels like the maximum decline and incline angles are much greater in Dirt 4).

nbates66 said:

Maybe has something to do with how well people are adapting to the cars behavior transitioning between the extreme downhill and uphill corners(it feels like the maximum decline and incline angles are much greater in Dirt 4).
That's one of the reasons I don't like Wales in Dirt 4 - the inclines seem so ridiculously steep that it really takes me out of it. I've never been to Wales so I can't say if it's realistic or not, but it seems really overexaggerated.

BadD0g said:
nbates66 said:

That's one of the reasons I don't like Wales in Dirt 4 - the inclines seem so ridiculously steep that it really takes me out of it. I've never been to Wales so I can't say if it's realistic or not, but it seems really overexaggerated.

There certainly are sections like that in the forests, especially the ones portrayed in game (Hafren/Myherin area), but it's less of a constant than in game. Myherin is famously hilly.

BadD0g said:
nbates66 said:

I have only been to Wales a handful of times, but during those visits the country seemed to mainly consist of hills and rain.

i hope to god nothing in the next game is based on wales in dirt 4. wales in dirt rally was amazing. in dirt 4 bland.

played some dirt 4 yesterday and was actually having fun in the lancia and australia.its not a bad game its just not as good as dirt rally.

If they absolutely need to add wales again they should add some snow to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZYSAuqE54k

I’d say Wales in D4 is pretty decent. It depends a lot what forests you’re in though! The only thing it’s missing is the very right hairpins which there are quite a lot of, and some of the big valleys, although that’s not always easy to do in a game, especially with generated stages.

id really like the see kieder forest in the next game! A stage I did on the final day of the RAC rally in November was probably the best rally stage I’ve ever done. Absolutely loved reading the notes on that

with no hair pins its no fun :'( . think about it gravel mud forest you need tight corners for fun ! :)

dgeesi0 said:
with no hair pins its no fun :'( . think about it gravel mud forest you need tight corners for fun ! :)
Dirt 4 hairpins tens to be quite open, which there are a lot of, but also there’s lots of tight hairpins and 90’s like DR Greece, although obviously not one after the other! There’s also a lack of ditches in dirt 4. Most parts just have big drops. In real life, you tend to just find combinations of small banks and ditches lining the roads. To be honest, that would probably be my biggest gripe with D4 wales

I agree about the lack of drops. It's one of my biggest gripes with Spain. No seaside drops on one side kinda ruin the magic of Spain based rallies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bavx20pgoY

EDIT: whoops I might have misread what you wrote but my point still stands.

Welsh WRC stages don't actually have that many hairpins relatively speaking, I don't think (start of Gartheinog aside!) - the ones there are are spectacular and Dirt 4 is definitely lacking varied tiles for them, but I always thought the inner forest complexes were twistier than reality (they tend to be roads made for moving log trucks along, so as straight as possible but intersecting (hence the hairpins and junctions!)).