DiRTy Gossip Thread

er185 said:
On April 23 2018, Bigben Interactive was looking for an Assistant Game Producer to work on prestigious productions such as WRC and other upcoming titles on consoles and PCs. 
https://emploi.afjv.com/emploi-jeux-video/SPRO116-13633
This was discussed many pages back, or in the WRC 8 thread. The WRC mention in that thread is just an example of what they do.
I take this back. The wording is different this time. And the job opening is different. The last one was something like "you will work with a studio that has created big titles like WRC" (or something like that). This one is "vous aurez la possibilité de travailler sur des productions prestigieuses telles que WRC et d'autres titres à venir sur consoles et PC."

I don't read French so I translated it to the two languages I can speak:

"tendrá la oportunidad de trabajar en producciones de prestigio como WRC y otros próximos títulos en consolas y PC."

"you will have the opportunity to work on prestigious productions such as WRC and other upcoming titles on consoles and PCs."

Both of those automatic translations clearly link future opportunity with a WRC title.

Any French speakers who can provide more insight?
Let me translate.

LA BAGUETTE LA OMELETTE HON HON HON

er185 said:
On April 23 2018, Bigben Interactive was looking for an Assistant Game Producer to work on prestigious productions such as WRC and other upcoming titles on consoles and PCs. 
https://emploi.afjv.com/emploi-jeux-video/SPRO116-13633
This was discussed many pages back, or in the WRC 8 thread. The WRC mention in that thread is just an example of what they do.
I take this back. The wording is different this time. And the job opening is different. The last one was something like "you will work with a studio that has created big titles like WRC" (or something like that). This one is "vous aurez la possibilité de travailler sur des productions prestigieuses telles que WRC et d'autres titres à venir sur consoles et PC."

I don't read French so I translated it to the two languages I can speak:

"tendrá la oportunidad de trabajar en producciones de prestigio como WRC y otros próximos títulos en consolas y PC."

"you will have the opportunity to work on prestigious productions such as WRC and other upcoming titles on consoles and PCs."

Both of those automatic translations clearly link future opportunity with a WRC title.

Any French speakers who can provide more insight?
I'm not a native French speaker, but the wording is "prestigious productions such as WRC".

I don't know what to think of this. Maybe BigBen are still the license holders. Or it could be that, just for one game, the license will be on another studio's hands, you know, in order to keep the yearly games coming, while Kylotton assembles their new teams.

I doubt another studio would take over for just one title. It's not efficient.

My guess is that Bigben doesn't have the license and this is just a semantics issue, or Bigben does have the license but another studio will be beginning the cycle again. Maybe even Codemasters.

Remember that Deepsilver publishes DiRT Rally in the Americas. And Bigben publishes Gravel. So although Codies is usually efficient as an in-house publisher, they have resorted to 3rd parties and there is no reason why Bigben couldn't publish a CM, SMS or any other studios' game.

EDIT:

Koch Media website, publisher of Codemasters in Europe: "Established brands such as Square Enix, SEGA, Focus Home Interactive, Koei Tecmo Europe, Microsoft, Codemasters, Bethesda, Capcom, and NCSoft all trust in Koch Media's sales prowess in various European territories."

Deep Silver is part of Koch and publishes Codemasters games in the Americas.

So Bigben having to publish a hypothetical WRC game made by Codemasters due to contractual reasons is really no big deal.

I doubt another studio would take over for just one title. It's not efficient.

My guess is that Bigben doesn't have the license and this is just a semantics issue, or Bigben does have the license but another studio will be beginning the cycle again. Maybe even Codemasters.

Remember that Deepsilver publishes DiRT Rally in the Americas. And Bigben publishes Gravel. So although Codies is usually efficient as an in-house publisher, they have resorted to 3rd parties and there is no reason why Bigben couldn't publish a CM, SMS or any other studios' game.

EDIT:

Koch Media website, publisher of Codemasters in Europe: "Established brands such as Square Enix, SEGA, Focus Home Interactive, Koei Tecmo Europe, Microsoft, Codemasters, Bethesda, Capcom, and NCSoft all trust in Koch Media's sales prowess in various European territories."

Deep Silver is part of Koch and publishes Codemasters games in the Americas.

So Bigben having to publish a hypothetical WRC game made by Codemasters due to contractual reasons is really no big deal.
True enough. Codemasters made and published by BigBen would be possible. However, there's still the whole e-sports rushed championship situation. Where does that fit into this? If BigBen retains control of the license, why wouldn't they let it run full length? A new season would only start next year.

Was there ever a WRC game without every location? If not, it could be assumed that the license requires you to feature all rallies of the calendar. And following that, we might be able to keep an eye out for codemasters field-trips to confirm/deny the WRC possibility.
From the 2018 Calendar there are some rallies, of which we know they've been there and collected data in the past:
Monte, Sweden, Germany, Finland, Wales, Spain, Australia.
And the ones, they never visited AFAIK:
Mexico, Corsica, Argentina, Portugal, Sardegna, Turkey.

So if they appear in one of the latter, the chances for the license are high. Another possibilty might be releasing a first game with the 7 former rallies and adding the missing six for 2019. Or as a DLC in 2019. If the license doesn't require a full release every year that is.

P.S.: I would like to add a wish @Codemasters, @ChristinaMc : Whatever the next rally-title will be, in case you might return to the two-base-stages approach from DiRT Rally, please consider to model two different stages and not the same just cut in half. especially if the rally has a distinctive variety in itself. Examples:
Germany: Not 2 long stages on Panzerplatte. Instead rather only one on Panzerplatte and another in Moselland (Vineyards in the Mosel-Valley)
Argentina: One El Condor (or at least the narrow part of it) and another down in the wet areas with more sandy and higher speed driving.
Spain: One full asphalt stage, one mixed (mostly gravel) stage. you get the idea.
If you continue with YourStage I already gave several suggestions for improvement in the past

SkyRex said:
Was there ever a WRC game without every location? If not, it could be assumed that the license requires you to feature all rallies of the calendar. And following that, we might be able to keep an eye out for codemasters field-trips to confirm/deny the WRC possibility.
From the 2018 Calendar there are some rallies, of which we know they've been there and collected data in the past:
As far as I know, WRC games always feature all rallies of that season.

SkyRex said:
Yeah the ones that had "WRC" in the the game's title had all the rallies afaik, but for example Colin McRae Rally 1-3 had the WRC license, but they didn't have all the rallies from that year when the games were published.

dwkGravey said:
Anything else like dynamic road deformation, influence of starting order, dynamic weather, team management, car upgrades/development over a season
Heh, this is all the stuff I'd like to see more of in the next game—all the rally atmosphere and team management experience. What Dirt 4 has is fantastic, so I'd just like the same or more in the future please. :smile:

Road deformation would be my number one pie-in-the-sky wish. Not necessarily dynamic (i.e. happening over the course of a stage like Sega Rally Online Arcade), but a slightly different surface each time depending on your start order and the conditions. Antoine L'Estage said he would follow Ken Block on the stage and could see where Block braked because the ruts became darker, so L'Estage would brake after that. Being able to do something like that in a Dirt game, if you're following S. Alvaraz or whoever, would be very cool.

Oh and bring back multiple AI on the stage like in Dirt 3 if possible!

+1 for mentioning L'Estage in this thread :)

SkyRex said:
Yeah the ones that had "WRC" in the the game's title had all the rallies afaik, but for example Colin McRae Rally 1-3 had the WRC license, but they didn't have all the rallies from that year when the games were published.
The McRae games never had the WRC license, just cars from the championship, licensed from the manufacturers.

SkyRex said:

So if they appear in one of the latter, the chances for the license are high. Another possibilty might be releasing a first game with the 7 former rallies and adding the missing six for 2019. Or as a DLC in 2019. If the license doesn't require a full release every year that is.

P.S.: I would like to add a wish @Codemasters, @ChristinaMc : Whatever the next rally-title will be, in case you might return to the two-base-stages approach from DiRT Rally, please consider to model two different stages and not the same just cut in half. especially if the rally has a distinctive variety in itself. 

Whilst I agree with you in theory, notice that this would take much more work as there'd be far, far fewer shared assets. So creating those two completely different environments would take more time, I can completely understand why there's one area from each.

Say you could have 30km of only Panzerplatte or 20km split in half between Mosel and Panzerplatte; which would you choose? I can understand the attraction of each (although I hope they continue to work on Your Stage tech personally).

Personally, I'd prefer to have more unique, hand-made roads. However, I also see the immense work it would require, which I why I would still accept a single, very long road solution.

Maybe a bit of gossip ? The official skoda motorsport website has realeased an article featuring the history of all the DiRT games (a bit weird since skoda was never featured in any of them) :
https://www.skoda-motorsport.com/en/colin-mcrae-dirt-new-adventures-digital-stages-legends-rally-gaming/

"What will Codemasters offer in the future? Will the Colin McRae series continue, or will it end up forgotten? Only time will tell."
I'm sure they read the gossip thread as well.  :#

Accro2008 said:
Maybe a bit of gossip ? The official skoda motorsport website has realeased an article featuring the history of all the DiRT games (a bit weird since skoda was never featured in any of them) :
https://www.skoda-motorsport.com/en/colin-mcrae-dirt-new-adventures-digital-stages-legends-rally-gaming/

"What will Codemasters offer in the future? Will the Colin McRae series continue, or will it end up forgotten? Only time will tell."

I remember the original Colin McRae Rally game on PS1 as a kid, a huge part of my childhood and I still really enjoy the game even now. I remember it having a Skoda Felicia in it (which rather ironically I had one crash into my car earlier on this afternoon with the driver being carted off by the police for drink driving :/ ).
Does seem odd them doing a complete overview of the McRae/DiRT series, might not mean a lot but am definitely excited to see what Codemasters have in the pipeline for future rally games 

Accro2008 said:

That article is very critical, as if they were scolding Codemasters. It's normal to see that sort of criticism from gamers (myself included) but to see such negativity in an official WRC 2 team's website is a bit weird, don't you think? 

Accro2008 said:

That article is very critical, as if they were scolding Codemasters. It's normal to see that sort of criticism from gamers (myself included) but to see such negativity in an official WRC 2 team's website is a bit weird, don't you think? 
Maybe they are intentionally talking down codemasters so they can make the next WRC game?

My favourite quote from this garbage: “...24h LeMans with specially prepared Ferrari 550 Maranello.” Ummmm generally speaking ANYBODY competing at Le Mans 24 hours will do so with a specially prepared vehicle

Wow, what a strange article. I'm not sure what to say really. I don't understand the purpose of it on an official Skoda Motorsport site.

Who wrote that crap?  It’s not remotely accurate???

I read this article and got a big wtf in my mind. Until it gets to the DiRT Rally part, it's critical but somehow in small percentage, accurate. But then author starts writing about DiRT Rally:

"It was before Christmas 2015, when a new rally sim, called Dirt: Rally, came out. However, the fans weren’t too excited. The range of tracks and cars was truly amazing, but the way the cars behaved wasn’t. Once again, the series tried and failed to produce a worthy successor of Richard Burns Rally. The physics model was cumbersome and with too much traction on all surfaces, the simulation didn’t feel very realistic.

And developers made it worse when they prevented players from modifying the cars’ behaviour. Instead of providing improved model of physics, they introduced more paid content, alienating the hardcore fans. Although the game was a lot of fun for less experienced players, the skilled ones could get bored quite soon. The unfulfilled potential was, in the end, even worse than if the game was really that bad by itself."

What. The. Hell

Julo264 said:
I read this article and got a big **** in my mind. Until it gets to the DiRT Rally part, it's critical but somehow in small percentage, accurate. But then author starts writing about DiRT Rally:

"It was before Christmas 2015, when a new rally sim, called Dirt: Rally, came out. However, the fans weren’t too excited. The range of tracks and cars was truly amazing, but the way the cars behaved wasn’t. Once again, the series tried and failed to produce a worthy successor of Richard Burns Rally. The physics model was cumbersome and with too much traction on all surfaces, the simulation didn’t feel very realistic.

And developers made it worse when they prevented players from modifying the cars’ behaviour. Instead of providing improved model of physics, they introduced more paid content, alienating the hardcore fans. Although the game was a lot of fun for less experienced players, the skilled ones could get bored quite soon. The unfulfilled potential was, in the end, even worse than if the game was really that bad by itself."

What. The. Hell

The entire article appears to be poorly written or (maybe) translated.  

The article from Skoda did puzzle me. I found it to be way too harsh, as if it was written by one of those people who regards RBR as the holyness of rally games and generally dismisses other games as not comparable. I don't think an article like that biased and uninformed should have been published on their site.

I hope whoever wrote this piece has nothing to do with licensing, otherwise they'll probably be a reason why Codemasters can't license a Skoda car.

It seems to be challenging to license Skodas in general for games. The last non-wrc game to have a licensed Skoda is Sega Rally online arcade back in 2011

It seems to be challenging to license Skodas in general for games. The last non-wrc game to have a licensed Skoda is Sega Rally online arcade back in 2011
Well, one thing is certain: if Codemasters get the WRC license, they'll get Skodas for sure.

Julo264 said:
I read this article and got a big **** in my mind. Until it gets to the DiRT Rally part, it's critical but somehow in small percentage, accurate. But then author starts writing about DiRT Rally:

What. The. Hell

When did Dirt Rally get paid DLC?