DiRTy Gossip Thread

Codemasters don’t usually do big announcements at places like e3. Personally I wouldn’t have thought it would be a good time to do an announcement, with so many big game news coming out, it’s easy to get lost in the stream. Especially with the likes of fallout and such being shown
The last info available on the licence changing was end July 2013. My guess is that the current licence holder would not want any announcements before the licence period is up because that would detract from their sales/events. The fact that the current esports event appears to finish end july is interesting to say the least. Whatever happens with the licence, my guess is we will be put out of our misery by end July. Either a new holder will be announced or we can assume the licence continues with the old holder. E3 I think is a possibility, but I agree with you less likely than end july.

I think we should forget about Codemasters making WRC. That will have to remain a dream for the moment.

Their have a strong relationship with FIA World RX and with Volkswagen Motorsport, right now, and they've been 3D-scanning rallycross cars, obviously for their next project, so WRC is out of the picture as I very much doubt they'd want any other major championship in their official game.

We'll see another DiRT, whether it be 5 or Rally 2, and, considering it takes time to develop cars, we should expect it for next year. It'll be focused on Rally and RX, with new e-sports features, and hopefully they don't forget most of their fanbase plays Rally.

I also hope that their improving financial situation and manufacturer partnership, allows them to get cool new rally cars in the game (including some 2017s), which in my view, they've struggled.

As for an announcement, it could be way off still. We could be looking at (assuming a game during the first part of next year) an announcement on August/September.

I think we should forget about Codemasters making WRC. That will have to remain a dream for the moment.

Their have a strong relationship with FIA World RX and with Volkswagen Motorsport, right now, and they've been 3D-scanning rallycross cars, obviously for their next project, so WRC is out of the picture as I very much doubt they'd want any other major championship in their official game.

We'll see another DiRT, whether it be 5 or Rally 2, and, considering it takes time to develop cars, we should expect it for next year. It'll be focused on Rally and RX, with new e-sports features, and hopefully they don't forget most of their fanbase plays Rally.

I also hope that their improving financial situation and manufacturer partnership, allows them to get cool new rally cars in the game (including some 2017s), which in my view, they've struggled.

As for an announcement, it could be way off still. We could be looking at (assuming a game during the first part of next year) an announcement on August/September.
You're entirely way too hopeful. 

warpengageThe cars already created on dirt 4 and dirt rally will be easy to put back on the future games because they have the car files back up. the longest and hardest is to create new cars and improve the generated tracks

it will be necessary to wait until the beginning of 2019 to have an announcement of codemaster they often leave their games before the summer

As I’ve said before, the biggest problem with a wrc licence is the fact they already have wrx. But if the licence is not tied up, and the fact we’ve already seen the c3 wrc in the crew, we could always see wrc cars in the next dirt like we did with dirt rally

I'd rather have them release the game around september or october so that we don't have the previous WRX season this time.

As I’ve said before, the biggest problem with a wrc licence is the fact they already have wrx. But if the licence is not tied up, and the fact we’ve already seen the c3 wrc in the crew, we could always see wrc cars in the next dirt like we did with dirt rally
I don't think so, the biggest problem is how much money they have to pay for it/whether it makes a viable business proposition.

Codies have a pedigree in terms of producing the worlds best licenced racing games (F1). They have produced what is recognised amongst games players as the best rally game for many years. So it boils down to how much cash they are willing to offer. In terms of potential, if I was in charge of the licence I would be looking to give to a developer that has a strong esports showing as well, as this seems to be the growth area atm.

gk9147 said:
warpengageThe cars already created on dirt 4 and dirt rally will be easy to put back on the future games because they have the car files back up. the longest and hardest is to create new cars and improve the generated tracks

it will be necessary to wait until the beginning of 2019 to have an announcement of codemaster they often leave their games before the summer
Just because the cars are made for DiRT 4 or DiRT Rally doesn't mean they'll make it into the next game for a few reasons:

1 - Licensing contracts are usually on a game-per-game basis. Which means they'll have renegotiate every car for a new DiRT, which may be easy, or  not possible and the car is gone. Like how the Citroen C4 was in DiRT Rally but didn't make it to DiRT 4.
2 - It depends on how much of a graphical leap the next game will take. If it's a substantial leap, it may be necessary to remodel the cars to suit the graphics.

Oscar97 said:
I'd rather have them release the game around september or october so that we don't have the previous WRX season this time.
Unlikely. Cars take months to develop and they're still scanning cars in May/June of this year. The scan is just step one. So a lot of development ahead and I just don't see it possible for them to make it this year. Besides, we've been suggesting that they didn't go help the F1 team, for a while, but the truth is we don't know for sure. Maybe they did go, and if that's the case development of DiRT must have been slowed down.

I hope so. They've has a lack of top-tier modern competitors, when it comes to rally cars, in DiRT 4. I hope this difficulty doesn't carry over to their next project.

dirt3joe said:
I don't think so, the biggest problem is how much money they have to pay for it/whether it makes a viable business proposition.
I believe Paul Coleman has already said that money isn't always the issue. Sometimes a license is simply unattainable due to previously established contracts.

Rallycross is soooo boring to me. I'm not a fan of them trying to focus on both rally and rallycross in one game. Separate them and do them properly.

I guess no WRC game this year then, zzzzz.

I believe Paul Coleman has already said that money isn't always the issue. Sometimes a license is simply unattainable due to previously established contracts.
There's no such thing as an unbreakable contract. It happens in football all the time. The issue is more how much money you're prepared to pay to make two parties break a contract because it's in their mutual interest to do so. So money is ultimately always the issue. If you want it that badly you can always buy the company that owns the contract anyway - with money.

Without mentioning any names there was a long standing contract in gaming to licence a particular  manufacturers cars that everyone knew about. It was supposedly "impossible" for those cars to appear in any game because of the arrangement. But some time before the arrangement finished these cars did appear in another game. Not too hard to work out what happened there.

Words like "unattainable" and "impossible" are pretty strong. A bit like the word "need" which is very much overused IMO !

dirt3joe said:
There's no such thing as an unbreakable contract. It happens in football all the time. The issue is more how much money you're prepared to pay to make two parties break a contract because it's in their mutual interest to do so. So money is ultimately always the issue. If you want it that badly you can always buy the company that owns the contract anyway - with money.

Without mentioning any names there was a long standing contract in gaming to licence a particular  manufacturers cars that everyone knew about. It was supposedly "impossible" for those cars to appear in any game because of the arrangement. But some time before the arrangement finished these cars did appear in another game. Not too hard to work out what happened there.

Words like "unattainable" and "impossible" are pretty strong. A bit like the word "need" which is very much overused IMO !
This happens so often I don't know if you mean Porsche (Assetto Corsa getting it first) or Toyota (Loeb Rally + Gravel).

dirt3joe said:

This happens so often I don't know if you mean Porsche (Assetto Corsa getting it first) or Toyota (Loeb Rally + Gravel).
I think it’s referring to Forza 3 and 4 getting Porsche cars before EA’s exclusivity deal was up. That was a sub-licensing deal between EA and Microsoft, so sure, not much is unattainable when you have Microsoft’s money. 

dirt3joe said:

Well, I suppose in today's world, the green stuff is all that matters. Unfortunately, Codies don't have that much of it. I hope they have more for this next project.

dirt3joe said:

Well, I suppose in today's world, the green stuff is all that matters. Unfortunately, Codies don't have that much of it. I hope they have more for this next project.
Well if they wouldn't released half finished games and keep the game a live with updates and support and not do 5 games at once spreading everything out they'd be a lot better off.

dwkGravey said:
dirt3joe said:

I think it’s referring to Forza 3 and 4 getting Porsche cars before EA’s exclusivity deal was up. That was a sub-licensing deal between EA and Microsoft, so sure, not much is unattainable when you have Microsoft’s money. 
Ah that's true, but that was just paying EA to use them :)

warpengage I understand for the licenses that may be hard to get but codemaster has a lot of cars file . example for the C4 that was in dirt 3 before recovering the license of the cars for dirt rally the cars was already in the software database codemaster so even if it remodel it will be easier because the car does not change size just add the specificity, and the reactions of the cars because dirt 3 is arcade and dirt rally is a simu

gk9147 said:
warpengage I understand for the licenses that may be hard to get but codemaster has a lot of cars file . example for the C4 that was in dirt 3 before recovering the license of the cars for dirt rally the cars was already in the software database codemaster so even if it remodel it will be easier because the car does not change size just add the specificity, and the reactions of the cars because dirt 3 is arcade and dirt rally is a simu
There's more to it than just having the car. For example, if the damage model changes, parts have to be changed to break apart in a new manner and areas, previously not modeled, now have to be modeled because they'll become visible should a part fall off. The cars will also have to be prepared for different physics and to support new graphical effects, such as new dirt accumulation or new rain drops. It's not always a copy-paste job. In fact, it's lazy if it's just copy-pasting without actually updating what's needed.

warpengage no it's not completely copy-and-paste it recovers the basic model and adapts it with the new software and correcting the model's errors
look at the image of my profile I created it with after effect Cs6 but I use a 4D cinema software to put my logo in 3D I had to correct the error of the image and adapt it for 3D. I know it may not be the same software but the idea is the same if a software is not efficient you have to take a better software to improve the work

what would be good is that codemaster uses Unreal engine 4 software for graphics but can be costing a lot of money to use software

well Paul coleman has just anounced hes leaving :'(
http://blog.codemasters.com/community/06/here-for-a-good-time-not-a-long-time/

Sorry to hear Paul is leaving - one of the good guys I think.

Very much appreciated all the hard work that has gone into Dirt over the years and the contributions to this forum.

Good luck !

dgeesi0 said:

Think we can all agree, @Kickup has always pushed to bring us the best virtual rally experience he could.
Good luck mate, and all the best.  

dgeesi0 said:

Well that is exceptionally disappointing news. The only positive point in that entire article is this picture...

...@Rallycameraman looks raring to go, @KickUp looks genuinely concerned! :D

Best of luck wherever you end up Paul, I think DiRT will miss you. 

Thanks a lot for bringing us one of the best rally experience in years @KickUp and best of luck for the future !
We could tell that you were really passionate about rallying and it really shown through the dirt franchise.

My hopes for a bright future for rally games from codemasters have vanished a bit, hopefully i'm wrong ...

fedemaisonnave   do not you like Unreal engine 4? really                                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DqNEnf2TSE