DiRTy Gossip Thread

The tracks for rallycross and other stuff seems more fantasy action oriented. 

The rallly stages looked decent, but often too wide. Physics looks like improved WRC7, and I felt that WRC7 was quite good as a sim. So we'll see. Worst case it looks like it'll be a fun semi-real game, at best the rally parts might actually be quite good. I'll buy it, that's for sure.

dgeesi0 said:
sometimes its good to just have fun. it looks okay to me for just fun. which is what i expect from v rally. not a sim racing title is it really ?
You are only allowed to have fun if it's realistic fun. 

dgeesi0 it is you who choose whether the game will be simu or not it is the same for dirt rally and dirt 4

JorritVD said:
Is this something to gossip about? DiRT Facebook page posting something about WRC.
This is interesting, also VRally4 doesnt have any WRC location, USA, KENYA and MALAYSIA. So if BigBen has the licence and dont use any new generation WRC car, any WRC rally, the are just stupid or silent Codemasters has the licence

Areyouben said:
Maybe an entirely different company and dev have the license and maybe Paul left Codies to work there?  :o
That thought had crossed my mind: Paul said he was leaving the country, is it possible he is going to another company? 

who knows. i dont think hes old enough to retire yet :)

i do wonder if the recent by out of codies had something to do with it as it was at the exact time he left or if he had a offer that was too good to refuse. another country i have a feeling he has maybe gone to EA related studio . i guess we will see in the future.

Main reason for it crossing my mind is: if Codies finally get the WRC license why in the holy 22b heaven would Paul leave? But we’ll see. Don’t want to speculate about that too much.

dgeesi0 said:

i do wonder if the recent by out of codies had something to do with it as it was at the exact time he left or if he had a offer that was too good to refuse. another country i have a feeling he has maybe gone to EA related studio . i guess we will see in the future.
Need For Speed: WRC

(No, please no!)

dgeesi0 said:

Maybe he has reached a Milestone in his career. ;)

JorritVD said:
Is this something to gossip about? DiRT Facebook page posting something about WRC.
This is interesting, also VRally4 doesnt have any WRC location, USA, KENYA and MALAYSIA. So if BigBen has the licence and dont use any new generation WRC car, any WRC rally, the are just stupid or silent Codemasters has the licence
If they don’t include Isle of Man in V-Rally 4 (as they have been there to model the roads for TT IoM) it will be a damn shame

how good would it be to do the TT race in a rally spec car.would be amazing.really love hillclimbs on tight windy tarmac.no one seems to cater for this only modders though :'(

The format of the game i.e. all the different disciplines gives them the opportunity to include the full course (license permitting) to set a record in a car, a hillclimb using just the mountain section from Ramsey hairpin to Creg-Ny-Baa or thereabouts, and a full rally so long as they create a few more country lanes to give it a Manx National Rally/International Rally Isle of Man feel to it.

races generated but not the same as dirt 4 will be special mix surely a large map with links on each end of races, example:
you have race 1, race 2 and race 3
race 1 + race 2 or race 2 + race 1 or race 1 + race 2 + race 3
soory its french on this video 
 I do not know if VVV talks about races generate in his previous  video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-udrV9DX5jA&t=213s

Ok, so V rally is the result of losing WRC license from what I'm understanding from the video?

So I'm guessing there won't be a DiRT 5 any time soon. :(

What I got from the interview (french is my first language) :

- Big ben bought the v-rally licence
- Fun oriented (arcade) because the wrc licence was too strict with real life stages mostly and kylotonn wanted something different (which implies it won't include the wrc licence)
- Rally, hillclimb, gymkhana :# and rallycross all over the globe in career mode
- Famous recognizable/fantasy world locations (monument valley, wall of china...) 
- Open maps with roads used randomly
- Locked at 30 fps, which is a big downside for racing games (game looks slow)
- Guy who tested the game wasn't really impressed (subjective)
- And i probably forgot some stuff 

Accro2008 said:
- Fun oriented (arcade) because the wrc licence was too strict with real life stages mostly and kylotonn wanted something different (which implies it won't include the wrc licence)
If true, that must be the 100th time in the last 15 years I have seen "too strict" and "WRC license" in the same sentence. If that's the case, the bad news is that 100% point-to-point rally games just don't sell. That's why they are always being mixed with other series, just like in DR, D4, SLRE, and now V-Rally 4.

I am worried that "too strict" is PR talk for "doesn't generate enough revenue". If so, we rally fans are looking at a crappy future.

I just don't remember the last time we saw a 100% point-to-point rally games outside of the wrc games on consoles/pc. 
The wrc licence also had a bad reputation in general since the ps3 era that might have influenced sales. 
(i know the last titles are a huge improvement and can be very enjoyable) 

I think the last one was Colin Mcrae rallye 2005 back in september 2004  and just before that Richard Burns rally in july 2004...

like many console games to pc this barrier is often lifted or gotten round. cant see 30 fps cap being on pc.would be a total waste of time releasing it.

Accro2008 said:
If true, that must be the 100th time in the last 15 years I have seen "too strict" and "WRC license" in the same sentence. If that's the case, the bad news is that 100% point-to-point rally games just don't sell. That's why they are always being mixed with other series, just like in DR, D4, SLRE, and now V-Rally 4.

I am worried that "too strict" is PR talk for "doesn't generate enough revenue". If so, we rally fans are looking at a crappy future.
I wouldn't worry about that. ;)

On a more serious note, generating revenue is dependent on a lot of different factors (like quality, for example) - not just the strength of the licence. Add to that the limitations and strictness of working on a licensed game where dates/milestones can be heavily pressurised... and you could see why it might be easier to make a different game.

There's no doubt the licence gets you a level of credibility, officialness and exposure (as well as all the latest cars/locations... which you have to make/iterate upon in very short spaces of time) - but it's a challenge for any studio to tackle. It can be done though - just look at our F1 devs! :) 

lol , we really wanted to hear about a rally game not F1 , but thanks for your thoughts !
Well she just used F1 devs as an example, DiRT devs can do the same, cant they @ChristinaMc?