DiRTy Gossip

SamRWD said:
Ken Block seems to be a cool dude that does what he loves.

He is average driver at best (that makes him quiet competitive on USA's rally scene, and low rank in the Europe and WRC scene).
Gymkhana is a typical american invention with all it's pros and cones. I personally am not impressed with tricks that take multiple attempts to perfect so it looks nice on camera, but I guess it might appeal to some people. 

Long story short- I don't care about him TBH, but I wish he stays away from any game I would be interested in. 
He practices. He rarely ever screws up on early takes. It's just a game of taking the best shot.
To ask you a question, have you ever listened to music or watched a music video? Do you dislike them because they used the best take they had and practiced beforehand?
Do you think the European rally drivers just... don't practice?

BTW, his Climbkhana video where he drifts around a corner and hits a rock pile was his first attempt. Don't act like the dude doesn't have skill.

Skill or not, it's still a weird concept that I personally just can't enjoy for the life of me. I simply fail to see the point.

And, like SamRWD, I too hope Ken Block stays very far away from future rally games, and leave them to actual rallying.

He’s tied up with forza right now anyway. His relationship with them and ford, combined with ford’s new increased commitment to m sport is probably why the fiesta wrc is appareaing in the new horizon. With that and the C3 in The Crew, it’s quite possible we could see wrc cars back in the next dirt

I actually think there never was a real issue with WRCars in racing games. I think Codemasters most likely didn't want to put them in DiRT 4 to be totally safe. Microsoft and Ubisoft can afford a lawsuit, Codemasters probably can't.

I still think it's a matter of how close DiRT Rally was to an actual WRC game. That's what caused the uncertainty over licenses

JZStudios said:
Wow, so many things.
"He practices. He rarely ever screws up on early takes. It's just a game of taking the best shot."- (except from WRC where he made so many mistakes on stages he didn't know by every inch like he does in his videos) every rally driver could do that in a first shot, but that's not the point. 

"To ask you a question, have you ever listened to music or watched a music video? Do you dislike them because they used the best take they had and practiced beforehand?"
LOL. No, I don't. If I go to the restaurant, I also make sure chef practiced for years before I choose to dine at said place. But that was not the point.

"Do you think the European rally drivers just... don't practice?"
They do (in fact they wish they could practice more, but FIA limits tests days). But that was not the point.

"BTW, his Climbkhana video where he drifts around a corner and hits a rock pile was his first attempt. Don't act like the dude doesn't have skill."
So he has the skill because he hits a rock pile? LOL. 
Of course he has a skill, but he is nowhere near European drivers. WRC is cruel and even Dani Sordo struggles despite being amazing driver! BUT THAT WAS NOT THE POINT!

SamRWD said:
Ken Block seems to be a cool dude that does what he loves.

He is average driver at best (that makes him quiet competitive on USA's rally scene, and low rank in the Europe and WRC scene).
Gymkhana is a typical american invention with all it's pros and cones. I personally am not impressed with tricks that take multiple attempts to perfect so it looks nice on camera, but I guess it might appeal to some people. 

Long story short- I don't care about him TBH, but I wish he stays away from any game I would be interested in. 
I'm fine with your opinion, but I must defend American Rally.  

Yes Ken Block does finish in the top 2-3 in rally's he enters here, David Higgins is his closest competitor who finished in the top 20 over all at the 2015 Wales rally GB - in a near production Subaru!  Just to put some perspective, if someone can do that in Europe at a WRC rally that is neck and neck with Block over here, then I do not see him (Block) as average.  Yes, he does poorly in WRC events, but he occasionally shows up at an event, so there is a lot of dust to shake off when he competes there and he is 10-15 years older than the top tier drivers.  I think he is better than average, stats don't always show the whole picture.  

Gymkhana never was intended to be a one take stunt video.  It was something that took off unexpectedly.  It got a lot of views and he saw it as a way to promote his brand and bring in sponsorship to pay for rally and whatever else.

Gymkhana ending up in a DiRT game was ok, but the way it was implemented (forced to play it to complete game) was not the right.  Personally I liked the fact that he was in it, but hated Gymkhana parts.

I think there a better people in the world but American rally needs anyone it can get to help promote the sport.  If Ken shows up at a rally here, he draws a huge crowd, and hopefully brings people back and they get the rally bug.  

Sorry, not meaning to cause an argument, hope you understand my comments.  :)

Interesting that they actually have the Camel sponsor. I thought cigarette branding in games is a big nono

£40 on steam bit strong                                                       

I’d be interested if it wasn’t for the fact Battlefield 5, Red Dead 2, Fallout 76 and Forza Horizon 4 weren’t all coming out in October. Too expensive as it is!

Myself  I bought Dirt 4 last week for £19, which was more than enough for it and £19 more than Dirt Rally was ever worth.... Now what an appalling game that was.

But then that is the word here; game... In the day I was a very fortunate boy (and still am), my father owned several garages and at 17 I had full comp traders insurance, so I could drive anything I liked.....  Therefore at age 17 I used to own a Mini Cooper 1071 with an all steel engine/straight cut g/b ...... at age 18, an Avenger Tiger and Mk1 RS Mex, age 20 a Mk2 RS2000 and I raced them all, rallying them. My friends raced cars such as Audi Quattro, an ex-works Dolomite Sprint (awful!) even an ex-works Nissan and a Porsche 911.

Dirt like all other games however, is a game. One hears all this waffle about 'realism', realism is sitting in an actual car, actually racing.... If one can crash out hard and not risk death or at least a deeply broken bank balance, then it is a game..... That counts from an F1 Sim owned by an F1 team, right down to home user Xbox, PS and PC.

Once, to my consternation, I conversed with a Dirt dev and explained it was a game and required more control for the purchaser, that indeed Dirt Rally desperately required a rewind function  .... It is a single player game essentially, if one rewound it when crashing out of say a 12 minute stage @ 11.45 seconds, it would affect no ones life but that singular person's ... What do I get? "It would interfere with the integrity of the game" .... LOL, what? What integrity? It is a game man for pities sake... Talk about narcissistic self aggrandisement... I am still laughing now at that ludicrous statement.

Personally I have already pre-purchased RD2 and H4 Ultra .... Myself  I don't do Battlefield and whilst Fallout 4 was a very clever game as Fall Out 76 may well be, if I want to be deeply depressed I'll talk to my mother in law. The best any Dirt title will ever get from me however, is my pulling their stuff out of the 'remaindered' bin.

Dirt could be very good, could sell a great many more copies but somewhere it went badly wrong for them.... Dirt 2 & 3 were extremely good games but they have imo become lost since then... They have forgotten it is nothing more than a game, which people buy with their money and should therefore be able to enjoy without the interference of the dev's and their supposed 'integrity' .

JZStudios said:
BTW, his Climbkhana video where he drifts around a corner and hits a rock pile was his first attempt. Don't act like the dude doesn't have skill.
It was his second attempt. In one of The Hoonigans DTT episodes they talked about it

Mazier777 said:
Myself  I bought Dirt 4 last week for £19, which was more than enough for it and £19 more than Dirt Rally was ever worth.... Now what an appalling game that was.

But then that is the word here; game... In the day I was a very fortunate boy (and still am), my father owned several garages and at 17 I had full comp traders insurance, so I could drive anything I liked.....  Therefore at age 17 I used to own a Mini Cooper 1071 with an all steel engine/straight cut g/b ...... at age 18, an Avenger Tiger and Mk1 RS Mex, age 20 a Mk2 RS2000 and I raced them all, rallying them. My friends raced cars such as Audi Quattro, an ex-works Dolomite Sprint (awful!) even an ex-works Nissan and a Porsche 911.

Dirt like all other games however, is a game. One hears all this waffle about 'realism', realism is sitting in an actual car, actually racing.... If one can crash out hard and not risk death or at least a deeply broken bank balance, then it is a game..... That counts from an F1 Sim owned by an F1 team, right down to home user Xbox, PS and PC.

Once, to my consternation, I conversed with a Dirt dev and explained it was a game and required more control for the purchaser, that indeed Dirt Rally desperately required a rewind function  .... It is a single player game essentially, if one rewound it when crashing out of say a 12 minute stage @ 11.45 seconds, it would affect no ones life but that singular person's ... What do I get? "It would interfere with the integrity of the game" .... LOL, what? What integrity? It is a game man for pities sake... Talk about narcissistic self aggrandisement... I am still laughing now at that ludicrous statement.

Personally I have already pre-purchased RD2 and H4 Ultra .... Myself  I don't do Battlefield and whilst Fallout 4 was a very clever game as Fall Out 76 may well be, if I want to be deeply depressed I'll talk to my mother in law. The best any Dirt title will ever get from me however, is my pulling their stuff out of the 'remaindered' bin.

Dirt could be very good, could sell a great many more copies but somewhere it went badly wrong for them.... Dirt 2 & 3 were extremely good games but they have imo become lost since then... They have forgotten it is nothing more than a game, which people buy with their money and should therefore be able to enjoy without the interference of the dev's and their supposed 'integrity' .

... ...

Didzis said:
JZStudios said:
It was his second attempt. In one of The Hoonigans DTT episodes they talked about it
Maybe it was the first one filmed. It was a first for something. I think he did a lower speed run first.

Mazier, i think you clearly misunderstand what kind of game Dirt Rally is, you clearly stated what kind of game you like, and that's ok too.

*Your* pompous feeling over the reason why they didn't have a rewind feature speaks more to what you want from a game than what DR is trying to be; that you couldn't see why it didn't exist, again speaks to what you don't understand about DR.

To be clear, the reason it didn't have one, is because the game had a high skill ceiling, it was designed for you to take more care and consideration in your racing, rather than not caring at all because you could just hit rewind.

Mazier777 said:

So what your saying is, to make it better, Dirt Rally needs either a rewind feature, or some kind of weapon that is capable of hurting or even killing you in real life if you crash hard enough? 

If any devs are reading this, for God’s sake put flashbacks in dirt 5!

Mazier777 said:

"Talk about narcissistic self aggrandisement..." While I admire and applaud you for having the fortune and ability to rally in real life and drive whatever you want from a young age, that does not apply to everyone. Some of us have to do with a game. Dirt Rally has been lauded as a great rally game. Unforgiving and challenging, yes, but a lot of people like the fact that it provides such a challenge without relying on the safety net of flashbacks. Sometimes in life, as you point out, things go wrong and there are consequences. That should happen in a game as well. Is it frustrating? Certainly. Is it rewarding when you get a perfect or near-perfect run without having to go back 10 seconds to fix something? Especially so. While it's obvious that we have different tastes in what makes an extremely good game vs. an appalling one, I think it's silly to say that Dirt Rally is flawed because it's challenging and you aren't allowed to rewind, and therefore cannot be fun.

deegsi0 i love driving in onboard views  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-ZRP2T80jo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_N-3q9QgDc&t=112s

https://twitter.com/alexalonso1987/status/1009855949761318913

As you know, the Kylotonn Team has grown a lot in the past few years. They are able to handle different projects at the same time, but for 2018, let's celebrate the come-back of V-Rally 4. More information regarding any potential WRC sequel will be given at a later date.

gk9147 said:
 deegsi0 i love driving in onboard views  
There are different type of interest. Some prefer to seek the ultimate lap while totally exploit the game physic based on the input & whatever can be achieved, some just prefer for immersion.

I'm the type to favor interaction over immersion. I won't judge anybody from their preference. Obviously the difficulty is higher, which lead to an handicap. There's multiple way to enjoy the game.

Although when you present onboard view, it's hard to access the result of the performance execution behind it. But in most cases, the execution isn't so pretty & may not bring excitement for everyone due to the handicap.

MrDeap  maybe but me what makes me laugh is when I hear simracer who want to become pilots while they do not drive in good view personally I would like to see competitions e-sport official (GT, pcars ..... ) with the view cokpit it would be more interesting to watch and especially more serious ( I sometimes watch races on iracing except racing nascar turn round is annoying)

gk9147 said:
 MrDeap  maybe but me what makes me laugh is when I hear simracer who want to become pilots while they do not drive in good view personally I would like to see competitions e-sport official (GT, pcars ..... ) with the view cokpit it would be more interesting to watch and especially more serious ( I sometimes watch races on iracing except racing nascar turn round is annoying)

Sebastien Loeb uses hood view in his own rally game. How does that make you feel?

gk9147 said:

The normal cockpit view where you see the interior, wheel etc is far too restricted to represent what your vision would see in real life. The dash cam is better in that regard.