DiRTy Gossip

er185 said:

Dakar 18 Gameplay

Body is 23 characters too short.

Physics are wonky looking, but I have to give credit to the developers.  Much like DiRT Rally, they are putting their heart into this and really trying to make a different kind of game.  If it drives good (doesn't have to be perfect) I'll buy it just to support their effort.  I want to see this kind of game succeed.  Hope their are saves allowed in the middle of a stage - 1 hr or more is a long time for me to commit anymore.  

er185 said:

Dakar 18 Gameplay

Body is 23 characters too short.

Woah, woah, woah, local split screen? In 2018? In a racing sim?
Best racing game of the century.

To be real though, local split screen is awesome, it really needs to come back. It looks good, as long as the physics aren't horrible like the Crew it really seems like something you can explore in and do at your own pace while still having a goal, unlike the Crew...
Still a bit concerned it could just be a very large very open world with not much to see though, but it's cool that you can tow out your teammates that get stuck.

Dakar 18 is day 1 purchase for me. I only do day 1 with racing games to support the devs in this dying niche. I am not expecting much from the physics in Dakar 18. It has long been shaping up to be, and was even confirmed by Paolo in a TeamVVV interview the other day, a navigational simulator rather than a driving simulator. I like the idea of putting the emphasis on navigation and the difficulty of a unique event like the Dakar rally. It's a different approach to racing games. If physics and graphics and gameplay are better than I expected that will just be a bonus. For me, it looks good and different enough as-is to warrant a purchase.

mr deap valentino rossi is good bike driver but not good car driver lol ( after you go show me peter solberg on dirt 4  :D ) or scott speed in iracing  :D :D  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lgrf887OS8

Since Scott Speed got banned from iRacing for being a moron and ramming people off the road (as evident by your video), is he really such a good example? :P

Rant...
I just noticed that all my post are completely hidden to public in /simracing reddit, just because the admin disagree. It almost feel like sim racing as a whole is full of insecure players, because I used a funny reference about getting into racing level is about not driving realistically.

Well aside from that... I don't see any reason for a real race driver to take sim racing seriously. He probably was into some sort of party or just drunk... Who know...

I'm more ashamed of the person who made the video, than the real race car driver that had his share of fun.

gk9147 said:
mr deap valentino rossi is good bike driver but not good car driver lol ( after you go show me peter solberg on dirt 4  :D ) or scott speed in iracing  :D :D  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lgrf887OS8
I would disagree with regards to Rossi: he has been involved with rallying for over a decade now. He regularly appears at the Monza Rally Show and he is always among the fastest drivers: in fact he once beat Colin McRae there! 

MrDeap said:
I don't see any reason for a real race driver to take sim racing seriously. He probably was into some sort of party or just drunk... Who know...

I'm more ashamed of the person who made the video, than the real race car driver that had his share of fun.
The Speed dude had been wrecking people for a while, so it wasn't just a "some sort of party or drunk" scenario. How you would consider the thing "fun" I cannot possibly fathom. The guy is a douche, simple as.

Mind, he's not a douche for not taking a simracing game seriously. Each to their own. He's a douche for being disrespectful towards people who actually do put the time and effort into becoming good, working hard on increasing their IR and SR and whatnot. How many hours has he ruined for others simply because he got bored? There's some footage of his wrecking in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQh5O2RG4CQ

So yeah. Not a very nice person. If racing online in a sim is so boring for him, he shouldn't even participate.

Dakar got my attention. I noticed little details like a proper cockpit cam position (not glued to dashboard like in most games), navigation, and nice big terrain. What I am worried about are... physics as always. Suspension and car mass seem to be WIP (I mean they are, but I am not so sure if a revamp will come, or just a small fixes will be applied)  so I hope those get addressed. I am keeping my eye on this tittle, if it gets nice car behavior I am buying it for sure!

tbtstt said:
I would disagree with regards to Rossi: he has been involved with rallying for over a decade now. He regularly appears at the Monza Rally Show and he is always among the fastest drivers: in fact he once beat Colin McRae there! 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohf-BVtIHGA

The Speed dude had been wrecking people for a while, so it wasn't just a "some sort of party or drunk" scenario. How you would consider the thing "fun" I cannot possibly fathom. The guy is a douche, simple as. 

So yeah. Not a very nice person. If racing online in a sim is so boring for him, he shouldn't even participate.
Weird the video actually claim he's a fairly clean gamer for the most part at 3:34. 

MrDeap said:

Weird the video actually claim he's a fairly clean gamer for the most part at 3:34. 
...until he started acting like a douche. All downhill from there.

Dakar 18 is day 1 purchase for me. I only do day 1 with racing games to support the devs in this dying niche. I am not expecting much from the physics in Dakar 18. It has long been shaping up to be, and was even confirmed by Paolo in a TeamVVV interview the other day, a navigational simulator rather than a driving simulator. I like the idea of putting the emphasis on navigation and the difficulty of a unique event like the Dakar rally. It's a different approach to racing games. If physics and graphics and gameplay are better than I expected that will just be a bonus. For me, it looks good and different enough as-is to warrant a purchase.
Definitely more interesting this year, as in 2019 it'll only be in one country! I wonder if it'll ever come back to Paris-Dakar ever, or whether the ISIS threat means that's long gone?

In no longer related DiRT news, I just learned that the... well a head audio guy anyways from CM left late last year and went on to join forces with BeamNG, which desperately needed an audio upgrade.

I asked him what he worked on at CM, at made some comments about this video.
https://youtu.be/i2vkpVgOfZA
"All of them. I started at CM late 2007 when GRID was going alpha. It was not in a good state sound wise, so we had 6 months (including having a baby) to get it shipable. That gave me the opportunity to identify most of the issues at CM. Bad car recordings, out of date engine synthesis, backwards implementation tools etc... so then my plan over the next 3 years was to increase those, so then led the sound design on DiRT2/3 and F1...then I took more of an overview of everything we worked on... until doing the music for F1 15/16/17 and then leaving.

We you do have the rocks hitting the wheel-arches. which is the same effect as hitting the floor. You'll obviously get a lot more of that when the wheels are slipping.

The impact system will be re-written.. I just wanted to replace the single sample we were using previously."

I understand the gaming industry has a lot of turn over in personnel, but a lot of LONG TIME codies employees are taking off as of late.  Probably means nothing, but sad to see them go. 

As far as I see the physics of Dakar 18 which i saw in some other youtube videos, the car and truck physics seem quite ok. They still working hard on it. But seeing the MINI aquaplanning on water looks quite good and promosing. Also that the AI can get lost, get stuck in mud, help others, etc. can be very fun, especially if they could have a good online system. For me probably also a day one buy, to support the developer and especially their vision they have.

dgeesi0 said:
id really like to give it a try but not at £40.
This. Never ever again after what Codies did with D4. 
I will pay £40 happily after I am convinced it is a finished product with proper physics, because updates might never come XD

dgeesi0 said:

SamRWD said:
dgeesi0 said:
I will pay £40 happily after I am convinced it is a finished product with proper physics, because updates might never come XD
I was 100% convinced they'd fix Dirt 4. :(

I hope sometime in a future we get a insider information what the heck happend during and after the development of Dirt4.

SamRWD said:
dgeesi0 said:

With you 100%. I've never pre ordered a game before but the experience with DR was so good that I was expecting it to be supported beyond that. More fool me (Codies have no obligation to), but my fingers have definitely been burned off pre orders.

SamRWD said:
dgeesi0 said:

With you 100%. I've never pre ordered a game before but the experience with DR was so good that I was expecting it to be supported beyond that. More fool me (Codies have no obligation to), but my fingers have definitely been burned off pre orders.
IMHO DiRT Rally was Paul's Opus, after a career of working on rally, this was about everything he ever wanted in a game.  We all know there were struggles in getting it produced and I am sure many internal that we will never know.  Codies was in a financial crisis (huge layoffs) may not be here if they didn't get bought out.  I hope we are not comparing everything from here forward to DR glory.  I'm hoping there will be something that eclipses it, someday.