DiRTy Gossip

Let's hope they've got all the World RX tracks this time. As for rally, they could still keep Your Stage, it works pretty well and just needs more tiles. Maybe they could have hand made stages as well?

I'm busy with some materials about possible Rallycross content we can expect (or maybe I just want to expect). So expect a big list of cars and tracks I will discuss. But it will be in a seperate topic. Currently got 5 pages about tracks (which is ready) and and 8 pages about cars (WIP). Also want to write some things about a RX career, have some ideas, but not will do that to big. 

Positive thing is, it is september, so announcement is getting closer :blush:

YourStage is the first thing they should drop. Those stages in DR where great and the ones in WRC7 are even better. I'll take a set of 30 stages over 500 répétitive YS ones. I also would like them to improve on the visual astetics on how the car moves suspension wise (less stiff and more in tune with the track). Improved replays system and a proper photomode like in F12018. Handling I like the one of D4 (Both game and sim), sounds from DR. As for thé cars I hope they bring in some more classics. A 504 or DS maybe. Maybe DLC packs or expansions which can add to longlivety of the game. 

A story driven career mode would be very welcome as well with some great cutscenes.

So far Dirt 3 > Dirt Showdown > Dirt Rally > Dirt 4 have all been very different. It is difficult to say what direction will go towards. 

- About the stages I not really know. Both real and the idea of YourStage (but with improvements) are good for me.
- What do you mean about car moves supension wise?
- The replay system in Dirt 4 was ok. I liked the heli cam in rally. With Rallycross I not like the cams really. I think we can expect the photo mode from the F1 game. Should not be to much work to implement that and it is important nowadays for the YouTubers. 

The thing with Your Stage is that it's the best method long-term to create stages for rally games but it's not tech they can sink a decade into perfecting with no return. But making stages the 'classic' way gets more difficult as we expect more detail in stages, especially if you don't reuse them from title to title.

So tough decision for whoever had to make it, but that decision will have been taken already. 

Jorrit, not sure how you'll get five pages on RX tracks?! Surely it's a case of "as many WRX tracks as possible, plus maybe Lydden Hill because it's already modelled"?

The problem with Your Stage is that the stages were too repetitive, but with more/smaller tiles they wouldn't be.

The thing with Your Stage is that it's the best method long-term to create stages for rally games but it's not tech they can sink a decade into perfecting with no return. But making stages the 'classic' way gets more difficult as we expect more detail in stages, especially if you don't reuse them from title to title.

So tough decision for whoever had to make it, but that decision will have been taken already. 

Jorrit, not sure how you'll get five pages on RX tracks?! Surely it's a case of "as many WRX tracks as possible, plus maybe Lydden Hill because it's already modelled"?
Agreed on Your Stage. I know there's been a lot of criticism of their implementation of Your Stage (and rightfully so,) but IMHO the answer is to fix the sticking points and continue to build on it, not to ditch it entirely. The advantage of procedural generation in a rally game is obvious and as you mentioned, the time it takes to make a highly detailed stage is pretty big and our standards are only getting higher. I do fear that they will have leaned in the "ditch it entirely" direction.

The need for new content (stages) in a rally game is pretty clear, as we can see by people to this day still requesting new countries/stages for DiRT Rally over on the Steam forums. 

Oscar97 said:
The problem with Your Stage is that the stages were too repetitive, but with more/smaller tiles they wouldn't be.
Indeed. However, a lot of people saw the repetition in Your Stage and just said "this sucks, give me back the hand-crafted stages." When thinking of it in game design terms, we might see the value in adding more tiles and removing the repetitiveness, but as a business Codies might see the negative feedback on Your Stage and think "well, even if we improved it, people had a bad first impression and if they see Your Stage listed for Dirt Rally 2, it's going to put them off." I wouldn't blame them for thinking that way since obviously they want to sell as many copies as possible, but as a gamer and rally sim enthusiast I'd be disappointed.

JorritVD said:
So far Dirt 3 > Dirt Showdown > Dirt Rally > Dirt 4 have all been very different. It is difficult to say what direction will go towards. 

- About the stages I not really know. Both real and the idea of YourStage (but with improvements) are good for me.
- What do you mean about car moves supension wise?
- The replay system in Dirt 4 was ok. I liked the heli cam in rally. With Rallycross I not like the cams really. I think we can expect the photo mode from the F1 game. Should not be to much work to implement that and it is important nowadays for the YouTubers. 
What I mean with how the car moves is that in Dirt4 I am under the impression the cars turns and moves around a central pivoting point which makes it look awkward in replay. If you watch it you see that it turns rather stiff and the suspension bound,rebound don't seem to be captures very well. Many time you even see one of the wheels hovering above the track.

Indeed, replay system in D4 was better but I would like to see a more cinematic feel to it. Much more trackside camera's at different heights and some low panning actionshots.

Maybe I was a bit harsh on YS but the system seemed very cool in the beginning but it got repetitive after 2 weeks of play. I which I really started to dislike it. Nothing stands out and all feels the same. If you look at the current Vrally4 trackgenerator it does a better job but it also works differently. There is a route system in place and the game generates tracks on a basis of those routes. Still I prefer the handdesign ones since more detail can be added and the stages feel a lot more unique.

I picked up WRC7 last week. It has roughly 50 stages but those stages are varied and the environments to. It is a huge pleasure to drive those and they have a very nice flow to it. The quality of those can't be matched with a procedural generated system. At least, not yet.

YS will need huge improvements and the thing that bothers me is that for D4, there have been a lot of critics on YS but not a single improvement was made. The game felt abandonned rather quickly and to date it is my least played rally game. Bummer really because the car selection was great.

WRX is a nice addition but I prefer hillclimb. The tracks of WRX are so short that after 10 times it gets extremely repetitive and it isn't actually that fun. A focus on the rally discipline, its tracks and cars would be my preferable choice.

Last thing: I sincerely hope Codies gets back to form with their new rally title and that they are able to surprise me like they did with DR.

Oscar97 said:
Yeah, we saw the first iteration of Your Stage and I am sure it will only get bigger and better from here.

I personally hope it does return in the next title as, although the hand-crafted stages are great (especially those based on real stages), the replay value diminishes over time.

Your Stage with an expanded range of tiles should give a lot more long term replay value (of course the inclusion of both hand-crafted real stages and Your Stage would be the perfect mix, but I don't know how feasible that would be).

Agree @tbtstt. Real stages and YouStage for me.

But I can understand a kinda map thing as well, but than with real stages. So kinda what Dakar 18 do, recreating countries, but than smaller. An example could be the Trier region for German stages. You recreate certain parts of German stages on one map with the vineyards, mountains and the panzeplatte. 

In this case the stages maybe need to be mucht closer to each other and and cross each other. Next to that they should add extra roads and cross roads so stages can be generated. And than mix it with YourStage as well. 

your stage will take years of development. as said before real rally stages add to sim gameplay aswell. people want to think or get immersed in real events. a generated track has no soul or anyting to it. you know this before instantly starting. when you see its insert real life event name you know its based off a actual track. it really helps. problem is making the real stages or the red tape money involved in getting these events.

ideally for a rally game its this simple. add as many real life events locations. add as many real rally cars . done. the problem with this ideal rally game is always the same money or relations.

SDK> Real Life Long Stages With Road Imported From GPS> Your Stage (hope to see it one day, because so far we got some kind of technology preview what bares no resemblance to devs claims from pre release hype)> One Butchered Stage That  Everyone Drives From Memory

V-Rally 4's HUD looks terrible, reminds me of ol' Tony Hawk Pro Skater from 20 years ago. Especially opaque black behind rev counter indicator numbers.

Ger rid of YS, bring real stages and for god sakes don't leave the game after release but give us more real stages with dlc.

During my lunch I wondered:
  • Picture on Twitter with 3 WRC legends (Sainz, Loeb, McRae)
  • Mills (Codemaster title) and Elena (WRC title) both let slip to be involved in a rally title
  • Grist was co-driver in D4
  • WRX involvement (Solberg)
  • Loeb/Elena | Solberg/Mills | McRae/Grist | Sainz/Moya (no slip of the tongue yet)
Somewhere this all must come together, doesn't it?

A old post by Accro2008
Accro2008 said:
Looks like there will be a WRC game this year but by who ?

Daniel Elena did a live during rally Mexico, where he was asked to take pictures for the next wrc game.

Source from 3:10 talking about the game in french and then taking the pictures :
https://www.facebook.com/DanielElenaOfficiel/videos/1882244085159799/
As far as I know this should be the Elena post talking about the WRC game and taking pictures for it. But strange they do it at Rally Mexico. But maybe needed for possible timeline of the production of the game then. This post was posted on March 8, while a few days later V-Rally 4 was announced. Maybe the plan was still that Kylotonn would make the game, as they had the WRC name with the cars in V-Rally 4 in the beginning. 

We'll find out in a couple of weeks @JorritVD  B)

BTW the result of the "greenscreen" but with Loeb

https://twitter.com/CitroenRacing/status/972259942437720064

I was thinking the other day whilst co driving in the woodpecker stages rally how cool an open world rally game would be. Small road sections to take you from one stage to another, you have a time limit to get there and have to clock in to the time control at the right minute. It would never happen, but it would be pretty fun!

Open world like that isn't going to happen any time soon, but it would be cool to have the end part (where you drive to the marshal after the finish) extended 2 or 3 times and maybe have something like a kilometer of road before the stage so you have to drive up to the stage and line your car up yourself.

Road sections would be quite impossible, because why would you waste money on a feature that just a few crazy guys (like us) would use it.
But it could be a nice addition if you can enter to the service park (drive into yours team tent), that cant be that difficult or expensive to make and it is a nice detail :p

Mod Support for everything. Cars, Stages, Sounds, Physics, Pacenotes, etc.
A solid Rally game, like DR, with Mod support, and that's all Codies need to do to hit the Jackpot. Go the "Assetto Corsa way", supporting the game for a couple of years, releasing new content / dlcs once in awhile, improving the game, and Mod Community will make the best, and bigger, Rally game ever made.

Ger rid of YS, bring real stages and for god sakes don't leave the game after release but give us more real stages with dlc.
What do you think about them possibly greatly improving Your Stage, instead of just getting rid of it altogether?

Road sections would be quite impossible, because why would you waste money on a feature that just a few crazy guys (like us) would use it.
But it could be a nice addition if you can enter to the service park (drive into yours team tent), that cant be that difficult or expensive to make and it is a nice detail :p
The cars driving a road section as a cutscene would make for a good loading screen between stages

I was thinking the other day whilst co driving in the woodpecker stages rally how cool an open world rally game would be. Small road sections to take you from one stage to another, you have a time limit to get there and have to clock in to the time control at the right minute. It would never happen, but it would be pretty fun!
The thing is, why would they want to model roads for the road sections when they could model other actual stages? I mean, it would be very cool for actual rally nuts (I think), but in the grand scheme of game development it would be time better spent in actual stages, in my opinion

The cars driving a road section as a cutscene would make for a good loading screen between stages
Or something like wrc+ live maps, that you can follow cars on road sections