DiRTy Gossip

Hmm, Jon posted this instagram story. Launch party will also be at the Red Bull Gaming Sphere? Or did he just post an old photo?

All the handling stuff aside. I think we can agree that it's dirt rally handling we want over d4's? *Hides behind sofa*

Then now all that's left is the one sleep we get until we find out just what Codies has in the pot over on that big old stove of theirs.
The weight and tarmac physics rather like D4 please. Tarmac feels so much better in D4 and in DR Finland always felt like driving on the moon with those unrealistic far jumps everywhere (even for finland) and at every small ditch.
But the loose Grip feeling and oversteer rather like DR, yes.
Both physics weren't perfect. (But still better than all rally competitors)
And if this is again a long time supported title (unlike D4), with DLC and updates, I have trust in CM to deliver fine-tuned driving physics, be it over time.

The thing I'm most interested for tommorow, apart from if it is a DR2 (if at least by core hardcore  concept),  is how they decided on YourStage. Will we get an improved YourStage, hand-crafted stages, or a mix of both? How would a new YourStage work in detail? How many unique stage-km are there per location? Oh, and now, VR support from launch?

ShodanCat said:
KevM said:
Why are we arguing about handling when Dirt Rally 2.0 is being announced tomorrow!?
Because this is the internet, it's what we doooooooo!
Moral of the Story.  You’ll never please 100% of the people 100% of the time!!  :p
For realsies. If there's one thing I've learned sim racing over the past 25 years or so, it's that for every 10 sim racers, there will be 10 opinions of which physics model is realistic and which isn't.
But if the sim racers are good they will all pick te same game as beingvthe best. And ok then moawn over what could be better ☺

I preferred Dirt 4's physics to Dirt Rallys. Once i learnt how to actually tune the obvious problems out of the cars. (notably around the differential) The base setting of the diff and the explanations were not clearly explained in the setup menu. I suspect that misinformation and the conservative base setups led to allot of peoples setups being counter to what they were expecting and hitting on the physics.

ShodanCat said:
KevM said:
Why are we arguing about handling when Dirt Rally 2.0 is being announced tomorrow!?
Because this is the internet, it's what we doooooooo!
Moral of the Story.  You’ll never please 100% of the people 100% of the time!!  :p
For realsies. If there's one thing I've learned sim racing over the past 25 years or so, it's that for every 10 sim racers, there will be 10 opinions of which physics model is realistic and which isn't.
But if the sim racers are good they will all pick te same game as beingvthe best. And ok then moawn over what could be better ☺
You would think so, but see the above reply - even for the games where there *seems* to be some consensus, there are those who think it's the most realistic. Btw I'm NOT implying there's something wrong with that, I'm just saying no matter how "right" you think something is, you can be absolutely certain somebody out there thinks it's completely wrong. And vice versa.

Agreed @SkyRex - both had their pros and cons; I certainly don't want the weird jumping from DR1 to come back.

I never got the same feeling of challenge with D4 as with DR (both physics and the AI competition), but if they're able to recapture this then the only other question I have too is whether they have found a way to create >150km+ of unique rally stages. With only a year passing since D4's release, there will certainly be limits on what's been possible in that time.

Fingers crossed we find out some information tomorrow.

I preferred Dirt 4's physics to Dirt Rallys. Once i learnt how to actually tune the obvious problems out of the cars. (notably around the differential) The base setting of the diff and the explanations were not clearly explained in the setup menu. I suspect that misinformation and the conservative base setups led to allot of peoples setups being counter to what they were expecting and hitting on the physics.

Preferí la física de Dirt 4 a Dirt Rallys. Una vez aprendí cómo sintonizar los problemas obvios de los autos. (especialmente alrededor del diferencial) La configuración básica de la diferencia y las explicaciones no se explicaron claramente en el menú de configuración. Sospecho que la desinformación y las configuraciones conservadoras de la base llevaron a que las configuraciones de las personas fueran contrarias a lo que estaban esperando y afectando a la física.

The R5 category, for me, is better than Dirt Rally ...

Setups could only solve issues to a certain point. They messed up the loose surface grip, there is not much to discuss really. The fact that the heavier R4 cars was the best of the lot just confirms that. They were heavy enough to at least break some lateral traction.

RWD was the worst of the bunch. Went from feeling awesome in DR to pretty much zero throttle oversteer in D4. If you managed to get sideways the grip regained so quickly you wondered what happened.

Tarmac felt slightly better, but there was still something odd about it. Central pivot feeling that was discussed earlier.

The cars felt the best at the Dirt Fish playground where it was mostly flat, broken tarmac and the cars was setup for gravel. There they actually made sense to drive. 

On the plus side D4 handled high speed corners and crests better than Dirt Rally. 

Nevermind, let's see what tomorrow brings. I have a feeling this could be a lot closer to the Dirt Rally feeling  ;)

4x4 físico de Dirt 4, RWD físico de Dirt Rally ... Pero la mejora evidente de una nueva entrega. The mechanical grip on forks of the R5 category is more realistic in Dirt 4 ... Braking and inertia as well. In my opinion.

Maybe they were just scoping the place out last time they were there?
I thought that, but it’s a bit late to be doing something like that the week before. They were probably setting stuff up/working stuff out

There were times in dirt 4 taking high speed corners flat out in the r5’s where they really bite down and hold the road that felt really good. But they lost the weight transfer feeling and sliding at medium and low speed that dirt rally had.

But let’s look to tomorrow at what we know. They’ve had over a year developing the new game, they’ve had Petter and Oliver Solberg onboard possibly helping with handling, and they’ve had sim racer/rally driver Jon Armstrong onboard as what I presume was a handling consultant. All that to me points to positive things

Yeah, hopefully Jon Armstrong has spent his time dialling the handling in.  He should know his stuff, being both a rally driver and a sim champion.  Wonder if the Solbergs or anyone else has had a hand in it this time round.  I guess we’ll find out a bit more tomorrow??

Regarding RBR I want to say that the issue of physics being simple has been improved a lot with the "NGP" physics mod. With NGP the cars have better inertia, tire slip angles, better aero modeling, better tire behavior, better road surface parameters etc. and the list goes on. It completely transformed the game for me and after getting bored with the limited content of DiRT Rally I have to say that RBR is still my go-to rally sim and I have never left a game session feeling disappointed after playing RBR.

If you want to see the NGP physics in action here's my video of a Toyota Yaris WRC 2017 in VR:

https://youtu.be/9Io02A10-Qg

versedi said:
This is getting real hype and teasing.

I don't know why, but I've felt New Zealand vibe from that picture. Sandish gravel, mountains. Hmm
I'd love this to be NZ so much - the ridge-line maybe, but that doesn't look like NZ gravel.

NZ is still obviously in DR 2.0 - they're clearly saving the best news for later...

New Zealand and Manx hopefully. The rest is a bonus. Do you think they'll do a DiRT4 and reveal all the locations at reveal? or are they going to wait a little?

Hopefully we'll get all the locations - even if they aren't all included at launch. I can't handle all this teasing!
NZ & Manx FTW

JorritVD said:
Hmm, Petter what are you doing at NASA?
"DiRT Space" announced

That steering angle tho...
I'm almost sad I miss all the excitement on the forum since it's all over when I wake up. But oh well. 2.0 gonna 2.0
In regards to physics, I agree with KevM. People have this weird idea that cars, especially modern ones, are super hard to drive. They're not. Although most sim racers think that traction control and ABS is the devils work while most if not all race drivers say "Why the hell would I turn that off?" These cars are designed for this, they haven't been ludicrously hard to drive since the 80's at latest. The 90's brought new technologies and a buttload of safety features and rules.
There's also my personal gripe of steering wheel weight, and tbh, I don't know about race cars, but modern street cars all have power steering that's never addressed in sims.