DiRTy Gossip

For f***ing real?!?!
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/dirt-rally-20-has-no-vr-support-planned
This legit?
Just go into VR... Feels so nice having no screen sitting in my living room infront of my cockpit anymore.
Hulk sad...

SkyRex said:
For ****ing real?!?!
This legit?
Just go into VR... Feels so nice having no screen sitting in my living room infront of my cockpit anymore.
Hulk sad...

It's a way of saying that it'll be a DLC or a separate game just like DOOM VFR etc.

SkyRex said:
For ****ing real?!?!
This legit?
Hulk sad...

That's the worst news I've read today. Got so hyped for the game and thought that VR support is a MUST seeing how good VR was in DiRT Rally but now I feel disappointed.

I'm sure that the game will be fantastic and possibly the best rally game ever indeed but after getting used to VR I just can't enjoy playing on single screen anymore.

Without VR support the game is going to become a "if only..." experience for me.

Yeah, they followed up immediately with they'll be looking for demand from consumers.

DR didn't have it until later either, also mentioned in the article.

They say you learn from your mistakes.....
There has been enough community bitching about the short-comings of Dirt4, for the team to read and act upon for this title.  Now, if I was a game designer with an active community like this one, I’d be trying very hard to take the good from DiRT Rally, blend it with the highlights of DiRT 4 (yes, there were a few) and build a new game to suit.

Complaining about DiRT Rally 2.0 at the point of public release really is a bit of a waste of time and a bit late.  The team have been listening us for 3-4 years now.  They know what’s good and they know what we want.

I trust them on that

Yeah, they followed up immediately with they'll be looking for demand from consumers.

which is also the same thing they said for Dirt 4... we all know what happened...

Mafkees89 said:

which is also the same thing they said for Dirt 4... we all know what happened...

So ask yourself this, how well did D4 do Vs DR?

Mafkees89 said:

In fairness, DiRT 4 did try to compensate for a lot of the complaints about DR: they sorted the 'floaty' cars, introduced a stage generator, made the game more 'showy' - just unfortunately it was one step forward and one or two steps back at the same time. But you can't say they didn't listen to the community. 

Hopefully this one has the best of both.

SkyRex said:
For ****ing real?!?!
This legit?
Hulk sad...

I seem to remember dirt rally had no plan for vr, also had no plans for consoles. Turns out we got both in the end

SkyRex said:
For ****ing real?!?!
This legit?
Hulk sad...

I seem to remember dirt rally had no plan for vr, also had no plans for consoles. Turns out we got both in the end
However back at that time VR was still a lot more in its infancy. By now we've arrived at the point where every serious sim has vr support, and the next generation of VR headsets is around the door. VR support has become much more of a requirement similar to wheel support.

With regards to promises on Dirt 4, a lot more was promised regarding the physics, also stating that they'd continue to work on that. this never happened either. such false promises have blown away my trust for CM to provide a good title beyond what's in the initial release. trust that they had generated by their thorough support on Dirt Rally... Now that this initial release does not hold VR support, I have no hope that it'll be added later. I won't buy this title untill then.

Mafkees89 said:
SkyRex said:
For ****ing real?!?!
This legit?
Hulk sad...

However back at that time VR was still a lot more in its infancy. By now we've arrived at the point where every serious sim has vr support, and the next generation of VR headsets is around the door. VR support has become much more of a requirement similar to wheel support.

With regards to promises on Dirt 4, a lot more was promised regarding the physics, also stating that they'd continue to work on that. this never happened either. such false promises have blown away my trust for CM to provide a good title beyond what's in the initial release. trust that they had generated by their thorough support on Dirt Rally... Now that this initial release does not hold VR support, I have no hope that it'll be added later. I won't buy this title untill then.
Ok.  See you then!  

Mafkees89 said:
SkyRex said:
For ****ing real?!?!
This legit?
Hulk sad...

I *think* i get what you're saying, but then you make zero sense.  Read your last line "Now that this initial release does not hold VR support, I have no hope that it'll be added later" 
No VR was supported on initial release.....

I haven't tried DR with VR but I'm sure it's great. That said, not buying what looks to be the best rally game ever made because it doesn't have vr is an unusual one to say the least. If VR was added to DR but not to D4 perhaps it had something to do with the procedural stages? I dunno. Either way I'm sure they'll add it if they can and if they do I'll give it a whirl if I can afford it. Steering wheel first though. 
Has anyone tried wheels on PS4? If so which one works best? (Don't know if I can warrant 50 billion pounds on a fanatec thingy,mind)

Mafkees89 said:
SkyRex said:
For ****ing real?!?!
This legit?
Hulk sad...

I *think* i get what you're saying, but then you make zero sense.  Read your last line "Now that this initial release does not hold VR support, I have no hope that it'll be added later" 

What I meant by that is this 'later implementation' with Dirt Rally was a lot more justifiable at the time: vr was just starting to get adopted by the bigger titles and was a lot more experimental.

By now, VR has become a lot more mainstream in the simracing community and is continuing to grow into that role. In addition, the implementation in Dirt Rally was exceptionally well done: CM has shown to have the code and is well able to work with it.

I haven't tried DR with VR but I'm sure it's great. That said, not buying what looks to be the best rally game ever made because it doesn't have vr is an unusual one to say the least. If VR was added to DR but not to D4 perhaps it had something to do with the procedural stages? I dunno. Either way I'm sure they'll add it if they can and if they do I'll give it a whirl if I can afford it. Steering wheel first though. 
Has anyone tried wheels on PS4? If so which one works best? (Don't know if I can warrant 50 billion pounds on a fanatec thingy,mind)
I have the Logitech g920 for Xbox (think the PS4 version is called the g29) and it’s a great wheel for a reasonable price (around £150)

JZStudios said:
Because a well defined and stylized UI = arcade. PUT ON YOUR TIN FOIL HATS EVERYBODY! IT'S REALLY A RETURN TO THE DUDEBRO DiRT 2.0 SPONSORED BY MONSTER ENERGY IN AN EFFORT TO TURN THE WORLD INTO MONSTER DRINKING DUDEBROS FOR THEIR OWN PROFIT!
CONSPIRACY!
Man, I only said that UI looks like it's from arcade game, not that DiRT rally 2.0 IS arcade. Well, I will play withoud HUD nontheless.
So I guess that "realistic" sim games should just stick to bland, unoriginal, and boring UI? It's a final layer of presentation.

Rallystu86 said: 
I have the Logitech g920 for Xbox (think the PS4 version is called the g29) and it’s a great wheel for a reasonable price (around £150)
Cheers pal. I did eye up the g29 and I think I may go for it before dr2 arrives. Nice one.

Mafkees89 said:
Mafkees89 said:
SkyRex said:
For ****ing real?!?!
This legit?
Hulk sad...

What I meant by that is this 'later implementation' with Dirt Rally was a lot more justifiable at the time: vr was just starting to get adopted by the bigger titles and was a lot more experimental.

By now, VR has become a lot more mainstream in the simracing community and is continuing to grow into that role. In addition, the implementation in Dirt Rally was exceptionally well done: CM has shown to have the code and is well able to work with it.

Yes, it's true that it was more in it's infancy back then, however it really hasn't progressed much since then.
The technology is slowly getting better, but it's still very expensive for entry and no more games have made it a standard or consider it needed than it was 3 years ago.

Specific titles made for VR ended up using it, all the adaptations ended up down a dark alley. 

VR is still garbage and such a small minority of players, they won't notice the few hundred that refuse to buy because they are crybabies. 

I'm hyped for this so far, they really have listened to every request worth making from the community, and that's just from the release statement!!!

As in all the past titles, the amount of HUD displayed is fully customisable, so what you see is just out the box, with it all turned on.
But they can not be moved around in earlier titles. You cannot place the speedometer in
the middle, or move any of that information around as you like, as I would like to. I would
also like to make it a bit smaller than in DR. Hopefully this have improved. At least that I 
can have speedometer in the middle like in normal cars. On 3 screens there have also been
the problem where the speedometer ends up all the way to the right of the right screen 
after a failing overclock or other game crash. In DR, this can only be fixed by restarting PC,
which seems a bit tedious. 

Hopefully we also get the option for telemetry on the screen, in particular for replays. 
3rd party hacks have been pretty limiting and needs the game to be run in window 
mode, and also does not work on replays AFAICT. 

I also hope they focus on anti cheat, and take the time to keep the leaderboards clean 
if some cheaters slips through. In DR, Codies have been way too lazy with this.  In the
beginning they just deleted the leaderboards all together, and when we did not like 
that, boards were soon just left full of cheaters. In this regard we also need to be able 
to check other drivers statistics, not only when they participate in the dailies. Since 
Steam have changed the settings to not show games by default in peoples profile, 
spotting cheaters have become harder. Clicking the name in the leaderboard should
have the option to see driver statistics, not only open the Steam profile, as most cheaters 
set their profile to Private anyway these days...

I also hope we get Workshop and plenty of space to save setups in game. Why have a
limit at all? And we also need the ability to write other characters, and letters than the
26 in the English alphabet. In DR, you can not even write the name of the stages correctly 
when saving setups. Length of info you can write is also too short. 

Pace notes sound... Why does it have to sound like an old Walkie Talkie? I would never 
drive with that bad sound IRL! Give us pace notes we can hear please! In D4, even streamers
from english speaking countries had a hard time understanding, and chose the female voice. 
For us who are not born into english language, and also getting old with bad hearing, please 
give us some modern sound on the notes, with full range from bass to treble, and adjustable
with equalizer in the menu. 

Anyway, Im really looking forward to this game.  Only whish the wait was a lot shorter. :)

That gameplay leak looks promising, it seems magical mud/ liquid concrete surface grip are gone! Call me optimistic!

Also "Porsche 911 RGT Rally Spec" as preorder bonus is tempting, but I will choose to wait after D4. Still won't believe Codies unless I see some more footage.

I am very happy for DLC, because it means game won't be abandoned, I hope stages lengths are gonna be improved (to the point they affect tyre wear), and no assists handling won't be focused on gamepad users.

Graphically RX looks really... candy-oversaturated-bloom-fireworks (that what collision sparkles looked to me on that RX gamplay), but I don't really care for RX and what is important to me is that rally looks OK (still will disable bloom and motion blur personally because on screenshots it looks overdone to me). I hope for realistic cockpits (especially MFDs, such as Fiesta R5 issue using road mode)!

I really, really hope Codemasters decided to go more sim route after they did that with F1 2018 (that is getting very positive feedback from sim community)!

Fanatec wheels aren't that expensive. Although the CSL for PS4 is strangely $100 more than the one for Xbox... Gotta be some kind of licensing issue since it took them quite a while to make one for PS4.

Yes, it's true that it was more in it's infancy back then, however it really hasn't progressed much since then.
The technology is slowly getting better, but it's still very expensive for entry and no more games have made it a standard or consider it needed than it was 3 years ago.

Specific titles made for VR ended up using it, all the adaptations ended up down a dark alley. 
I have to disagree with you on the entry cost. You can pick up an oculus DK2 for the price of a G27 for instance and it'll run just fine on a gtx 970, with still some margin to go lower specs. 

Whilst the imagequality may not be that great as of yet (fully agree on that front, mind you), the essence of VR still elevates the experience to a completely new level. 

Concerning what games have made it a standard: here I can only argue on driving games, but what I see there is that every serious sim has vr support. Codemasters originally entered those ranks when it implemented VR in Dirt Rally and it's very sad to now see them turn their backs to it.

Yes, it would be nice to see them put it in DR2.0, but the cost is still there, and it's not limited to the additional hardware, your PC really needs to be up to snuff as well.

Yes, it would be nice to see them put it in DR2.0, but the cost is still there, and it's not limited to the additional hardware, your PC really needs to be up to snuff as well.
Which is exactly why I mentioned that the pc requirements aren't that crazy either. given the low imagequality there's little to gain from high settings anyway.

In addition, I have to argue vr makes more serious simracing a lot more accessible as well. where the next upgrade after a good wheel used to be a multi monitor setup, requiring a lot of space and money, now you can just get a vr headset for less than one good monitor, and it barely takes any space at all.