DiRTy Gossip

The devs say they're adding 12,000km2 of Argentina in a free patch next month :-o that'll be a small download!
¿Where did you get that information from? The entire game has 15,000km². I can't imagine doubling that, and on top having it all in only one of the three countries.
The devs posted it on their Steam roadmap: https://steamcommunity.com/app/767390/discussions/0/1735465524721647731/

Metzgerov said:
I love all the banter but lets not lose track of the main thing here:

Is the game fun. Thats why we play after all and it is a "game" we are talking about.
Yes the driving model must be satisfying but 99% of you have not driven a real race car in anger so your "opinion" on realistic handling models is worth about $0.01.

As someone who has raced since 97 I enjoy something that approaches real feeling, but that its fun and immersive. Some games you all consider "hardcore" sims have overly difficult driving models which in reality isn't the case. Real race cars are easy to drive and handle great and stick to the road. Its extracting that extra 10% on the limit which makes things hairy and challenging. But in general a setup race car with race tires is really hard to spinout or go off the track unless you are driving like a moron. This is why Iracing to me is a joke as being the most realistic.

Anyway I digress. Remember this is about fun and challenge and enjoying something even if its not 100% realistic. As long as they build that I think we will all be happy.
Racing or rallying experience? I’m a codriver myself, but I wouldn’t say driving down a rally stage is easy even in a proper car like an r5 or wrc. True anyone could do it if they went slow enough, but even driving slightly fast is quite challenging, and completely different to driving quickly on a track.

zissakos1 said:
JZStudios said:
zissakos1 said:
JZStudios said:
By opposition, I look for triple screen support in games, and if I can't find it, I might ask the devs, who usually don't respond and then I just play the game normally anyways.
To say you "Can't go back to normal gaming" is actually aggravating.
Fun fact, I've also got 5.1 set up, but I don't throw a huge hissy fit whenever something doesn't support surround sound (Which is a lot.) I just play the game in stereo. For example, the recent Burnout Paradise remaster. Did I say remaster? I meant retexture mod. Anyways the retexture only supports stereo, where the original supported surround through a config, which is just... not present on the remaster. So consoles get surround, but PC doesn't.. which is super dumb, considering it's literally the exact same engine and everything, they just didn't "port" over the config.

So to sum up, I have triple screens and surround, which frankly the majority of games don't support. Would I prefer the games to have full surround audio/visual support? Sure, hell yeah, but when they don't I don't flail around about it and shout about how many billions of people and dollars use them. I just play the damn game like normal.

Since it's also related, Nvidia made some technology that helps set up both VR and multi-screen setups since both require multiple game cameras, but I sure as hell don't expect any company to ever actually make use of it, or for it to catch on at all. Just like every other Nvidia technology besides tesselation.
Would you say the same if the game didn't support your Wheel? Would you play it with a Controller then? (Or KB&M?)
Say you spent hundreds of Dollars on a Fanatec Setup. And then one of the most serious and best Rally game sequels didn't Support it! But Dirt Rally supported Fanatec gear!!

I am sure there was a time in your life where you didn't have a Wheel. Can you "go back" and play racing games without one?
Isn't that aggravating?

Try to not hate us for a moment and try to imagine how it would be.

That's how we feel everytime we read "oh there won't be VR Support at Launch. But maybe later!".

We are just lucky that racing game developers have accepted that they must support a wide range of wheels - at Launch!
Now the same has to happen with VR Support.

For a CM game? Sure, they play great with a controller. People here on the forum use KB+M as well. Same story with the Forza games, of which don't support my wheel.
Something like AC is a bit difficult on controller, but do able, as well as some other hard core sim games. KB+M is generally pretty terrible. CM games historically have all had pretty mediocre FFB and wheel support as well, but as long as they let you custom assign buttons and axis it works just fine, which again, is a global thing and not wheel specific. There's also some older racing and arcade games including Burnout Paradise (and it's remaster) that I have that don't support wheel.

So... Yes, I can go back to not having one. I can even go back to single screen as I've mentioned before. Sometimes I just don't feel like dealing with the issues that NV surround inherently has since Nvidia doesn't want to support their own software products.
Again I'll mention Burnout Paradise Remaster not having surround, when the original did, and yeah, I play in stereo.

It's minorly annoying, but not a deal breaker in the way that I have to scream about it.
And again, think about the fact that triple screen and ultrawides have been around for a decade now and they still aren't supported.properly or at all in a fairly large number of new titles. Or even better, think about surround sound, which has been around since the 70's yet theres exceptionally little media that actually uses it at all, let alone takes advantage of it.

You bought an experiment and expect it to be applied to everything immediately which frankly is... stupid... on your part. Products that have been around for decades longer aren't properly implemented when it's already easier to do so and you're screaming to implement something new. It's really like Apple stuff. Sure, it's cool, yeah it might work better than some of the alternatives, but the alternatives are a WAY larger market, more accessible, easier to work with, and develop products for. Think about how many "superior" cable connections and dongles Apple went through that never caught on mainstream. USB C is just now starting to show up. You wanted to be on the leading edge, expect failure. It just happens. It's a gamble. Take what you can, but screaming about it flailing your arms around makes you loudest person in the room, that's it.

Wow. It is stupid to expect DR2 to have VR Support since DR1 already had it and the groundwork has been done. Then please excuse me Sir. Next time I will ask you first before I say something like this.

You are accusing us of having attidude while ignoring that it's actually you that attack us, just because we expressed an opinion and a desire, for which this Forums clearly are the place. Someone said we should adress it to the Devs: Well that's exactly what we are doing in this thread, because this thread seems to be the only one actively monitored and participated in by the Devs.
I didn't attack you, you're too sensitive. Like I already quoted the VR complaints have been screaming and crying rather than a simple "Hey is this in? No? Okay."
And it's not already in place, Urgaffel already explained this. I'm not continuing this further. The only thing I'll repeat is that there's a cost of the future in ris vs. reward with new technology, it's well documented and happened thousands of times before. Look at the audio and video format race of the 80's and 90's
There's nothing more to say.
https://youtu.be/M5QGkOGZubQ

Moving on.
JZStudios said:
I'd like to say that Dakar 18 has apparently been released and I'm surmising is being overshadowed by ACC and FH4.

Anyone try it yet?
I have it on PS4 Pro. This will quickly be drowned in the DR2 hype but I'll give you my thoughts.

The consoles haven't gotten the day one patch yet so it's basically beta/release candidate state. That means no wheel support and some other annoying things that will be imminently fixed and are already fixed on Steam.

That said, I absolutely love it. Dakar 18 is epic in scope, unique in its proposal and authentic as heck. It is incredibly difficult and very punishing. The navigation element really makes it totally different than any other car game I have ever played (and I've been gaming since 1979). The handling physics are pretty atrocious with RWD, and borderline passable with 4WD. The patch includes physics tweaks so if they can get it just to BAJA Edge of Control level that would be fine with me. Dakar 18 is a navigation sim, not a driving sim, and once you're immersed in the open world trying to go fast, read the road book, not get lost, not crash, trying to keep your heading, one realizes that this is truly a unique game.

It's quite polished for being a first iteration from a small unknown studio.

I am very happy with my purchase. So far I have made it to Stage 2 where I have been running for half an hour and am only half way through the stage. And Stage 2 is one of the shorter ones!

If you're looking for a driving sim you won't like it. If you're looking for a videogame that faithfully reproduces the sights, sounds, feeling, and difficulty of the Dakar you'll like it.

In our WRC7 league one of our members is Clesio Maestrelli who was Mauricio Neves copilot for VW in 2011 (he was Sainz, Miller, and de Villier's teammate). He says the navigation is 95% real. Of course, he is also crying about the physics. But I can overlook the physics for now since the idea of the game is really something else, and they have done a great job this first time around.
Yeah, seemed like the physics were a bit wonky. If it's at least better than the Crew then I might pick it up. Initial reviews seemed to be that it was pretty easy to get lost in. Have they fixed that somehow?
I've also not played Baja, but the subtitle doesn't inspire me with it's handling capabilities. XD
CMMcBabe said:
Tea and coffee are two different drinks and it is possible to enjoy them both.  Just like how I can enjoy wine and whisky.

If you enjoy Tea and coffee along with Wine and Whiskey I question your sense of tast. That sounds horrible.

A car race should be easy to drive "quiet", in change, the difficulty should reside in to drive fast and do a better time... to take risks. The Dirt series does that VERY well. It is not realistic low speed driving and have a thousand setbacks. That does not make a game more real... Just unpredictable. That is not the same.Who is would go up to a car unpredictable? 

Keko55 said:
A car race should be easy to drive "quiet", in change, the difficulty should reside in to drive fast and do a better time... to take risks. The Dirt series does that VERY well. It is not realistic low speed driving and have a thousand setbacks. That does not make a game more real... Just unpredictable. That is not the same.Who is would go up to a car unpredictable? 
You probably mean this.

I always thought with balance in mind, but I learned that you have to turn the steering before releasing the brake pressure, not do both in sync. During trail braking you have to retain that in mind when releasing the brake pressure to promote turn in. 

No wonder why reducing the steering rotation resulted placebo in DiRT Rally.

It's probably the very first thing I will test out in DiRT Rally 2.0.

urgaffel said:
dwkGravey said:
I like how the VR arguing continues circling the drain, but it’s coffee-vs-tea that causes a Codie’s employee to think, “Things are getting out of hand, I better step in here”. We all know what the important issues are.  :smiley:

(BTW DR2 better have tea support. No tea, no buy.)
There were steaming mugs in the service area in Dirt 4... but was it tea or coffee?
Well, mechanics drink tea so that's case closed. Coffee doesn't give the same tutability when over quoting a job to customers.

Example : 'tut tut tut ....it's not gonna be cheap'

Tea all the way.

JZStudios said:Initial reviews seemed to be that it was pretty easy to get lost in. Have they fixed that somehow?

Getting lost isn't a bug. It's part of the Dakar. 

Metzgerov said:

Is the game fun. Thats why we play after all and it is a "game" we are talking about.
Yes the driving model must be satisfying but 99% of you have not driven a real race car in anger so your "opinion" on realistic handling models is worth about $0.01.

As someone who has raced since 97 I enjoy something that approaches real feeling, but that its fun and immersive. Some games you all consider "hardcore" sims have overly difficult driving models which in reality isn't the case. Real race cars are easy to drive and handle great and stick to the road. Its extracting that extra 10% on the limit which makes things hairy and challenging. But in general a setup race car with race tires is really hard to spinout or go off the track unless you are driving like a moron. This is why Iracing to me is a joke as being the most realistic.

Anyway I digress. Remember this is about fun and challenge and enjoying something even if its not 100% realistic. As long as they build that I think we will all be happy.
My experience says you're going to enjoy this one ;)

Metzgerov said:

I’ll second that  ;)

JZStudios said:Initial reviews seemed to be that it was pretty easy to get lost in. Have they fixed that somehow?

The early reviews said they went a couple meters off track and the co driver just completely lost all sense of direction and didn't really get it back. Seems like a bug to me.
Just about every reviewer and the Devs themselves said it needed work.

KevM said:
Metzgerov said:

I’ll second that  ;)
I'll third that.  ;)

urgaffel said:
It’s New Zealand. Trust me.

trust is 13 characters too short

*edit*

the time of day and grading make it look like Australia. Midday and clear skies looks different fron the trailer.
Ok... I trust you... 

JZStudios said:

The early reviews said they went a couple meters off track and the co driver just completely lost all sense of direction and didn't really get it back. Seems like a bug to me.
I checked some footage today and the release patch showed some good improvements as the co-driver now seems more calmer and the driving model for cars/trucks looks much better and more things. Maybe it is not the best game in term of graphics and handling. It is a new project and I think an interesting base has been set, and i hope this false start not will give them to big troubles.

Also they put on a roadmap for future updates:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/767390/discussions/0/1735465524721647731/
12.000 square KM as free DLC.
DAKAR Road Book app sounds a good decision and a different way to have fun with friends
A navigator voice pack? 
A first team pack as free DLC. 

I can understand a road book app would work for Dakar 18, but would something similar could work for DiRT with pacenotes. I think the pace of notes on a rally stage are much to fast to make it work on an app and without feeling the car movement. 

tbtstt said:
An international brawl started because of a derogatory comment made about tea: now THAT is proper use of the DiRTy Gossip thread. 

T-Force: assemble! 
Countries have been formed over tea brawls (America)

hmmm... tea brawls (eye brows) is that like getting sh*tfaced on tea?  I'll leave now

Dytut said:
tbtstt said:
An international brawl started because of a derogatory comment made about tea: now THAT is proper use of the DiRTy Gossip thread. 

T-Force: assemble! 
I'll concede that T-Force is a great name. 

Come on team black bean? We need a catchy team name!
Starbucks!  

JZStudios said:

I see what you're getting at now. I don't find it to be "bugged" but it's definitely difficult. If you're heading towards CAP 50 but you do 500m at 55 well, you ARE straying from your destination. At least in cars and trucks you have a co-driver that warns you. Imagine how difficult it is on bikes or quads when you're all alone.

I will take the word of my buddy who was Sainz' teammate in VW in 2011 when he says it is "95% like real life."

JorritVD said:
JZStudios said:

I checked some footage today and the release patch showed some good improvements as the co-driver now seems more calmer and the driving model for cars/trucks looks much better and more things. Maybe it is not the best game in term of graphics and handling. It is a new project and I think an interesting base has been set, and i hope this false start not will give them to big troubles.

DAKAR Road Book app sounds a good decision and a different way to have fun with friends
A navigator voice pack? 

I can understand a road book app would work for Dakar 18, but would something similar could work for DiRT with pacenotes. I think the pace of notes on a rally stage are much to fast to make it work on an app and without feeling the car movement. 
Dirt rally had a co driver feature for the psvr, which had someone else playing a guitar hero like game on a controller. I was terrible at it. @Rallycameraman got angry at me. You can briefly see one of the few times I was pressing the right buttons in the trailer: 
https://youtu.be/NUKbZNCbpqk

I blamed it it on me being an Xbox player

JorritVD said:
JZStudios said:

A navigator voice pack? 

Dirt rally had a co driver feature for the psvr, which had someone else playin a guitar hero like game on a controller. I was terrible at it. @Rallycameraman got angry at me. You can briefly see one of the few times I was pressuring the right buttons in the trailer: 
https://youtu.be/NUKbZNCbpqk

I blamed it it on me being an Xbox player
It’s a good job I had recced that stage many many times before! :D

JZStudios said:
I still can't believe that all 3 companies produced the same car without any trace of distinguishing features between them.
Scion is a sub-brand of Toyota, so the GT86 and FRS are the same, but BRZ has a bit different front end. The easiest way to tell them apart is to remember - GT86/FRS = Frowny face, BRZ = Smiley face. And the new GT86 is just a wider frowny face

urgaffel said:
dwkGravey said:
I like how the VR arguing continues circling the drain, but it’s coffee-vs-tea that causes a Codie’s employee to think, “Things are getting out of hand, I better step in here”. We all know what the important issues are.  :smiley:

(BTW DR2 better have tea support. No tea, no buy.)
There were steaming mugs in the service area in Dirt 4... but was it tea or coffee?

Trick question; it depended on the country you were in.

The only problem I see with a mixed tarmac/gravel stage and tyre choice in a game is that one is always going to be faster, and once you’ve worked out which one that is that’s pretty much the tyre choice done for the rest of your time playing. 

I think spain will most likely be 100% tarmac seeing as it’s the only tarmac location in game. Hopefully we can see something like gravel being pulled onto the road from cuts like in real life, and that will act similarly to road deterioration will on the gravel events
I think tire choice could make more sense in rallycross, where you get 8 tires per weekend. Would be cool if tire strategy played some role

JZStudios said:
KevM said:
Metzgerov said:

I’ll second that  ;)
I'll third that.  ;)
And I'll.. emm.. fourth that? ;) 

bogani said:
JZStudios said:
KevM said:
Metzgerov said:

I’ll second that  ;)
I'll third that.  ;)
And I'll.. emm.. fourth that? ;) 
Or you could say... quad... :D

Didzis said:
The only problem I see with a mixed tarmac/gravel stage and tyre choice in a game is that one is always going to be faster, and once you’ve worked out which one that is that’s pretty much the tyre choice done for the rest of your time playing. 

I think spain will most likely be 100% tarmac seeing as it’s the only tarmac location in game. Hopefully we can see something like gravel being pulled onto the road from cuts like in real life, and that will act similarly to road deterioration will on the gravel events
I think tire choice could make more sense in rallycross, where you get 8 tires per weekend. Would be cool if tire strategy played some role
Oh yeah I forgot about rallycross, that would be cool if we got tyre wear in that too, I think 8 tyres per weekend is how it works in wrx