DiRTy Gossip

https://youtu.be/pqVhuWkwZTg

Some rallycross gameplay, hard to tell as they’re not the best driver but it looks further improved from dirt 4, looks like you will need to use the handbrake a bit more to rotate the rear of the car which is good
Damn, this makes me miss messing around in Dirtfish in D4.

So any news on Dirtfish making a return?
This ^ and fun online modes there, as D4 lacked them. Joyride or Outbreak etc with friends to balance out white knuckles racing.

The natural frequency(ride frequency) seem similar if you play it at 0.25x speed during the whole race.

The part that look different is during the take off. The suspension had no velocity to keep the nose up & got into neutral state once the car got traction. The suspension travel seem to be there.

It’s pre-alpha.  They’ll tweak all that no doubt.  Easy fix in the polishing phase

bogani said:
Gameplay is popping up! 
https://youtu.be/yKmnE7CXK2g                         
I... Don't like that co-driver. Very breathy, lot of plosives. Aside from the fact they are all pre-recorded which doesn't bother me as much.
Whens the KickUp codriver DLC?

Areyouben said:
Perfect, cheers! Now I can peacefully conclude all physics talk and start a 5 month hibernation until February is here! :#
That's a very good idea :D I mean we're less than a week from the announcement and people start saying how good it drives, that's just psychological warfare

JZStudios said:                  
I... Don't like that co-driver. Very breathy, lot of plosives. Aside from the fact they are all pre-recorded which doesn't bother me as much.

WOW, you don't like Phil Mills? :)
EDIT: BTW I would love to get an option to get Phil's voice even more disorted!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpDSPhECTSA

RWDsam said:
Areyouben said:
Last question handling wise, just to be absolutely clear. Are you able to initiate some oversteer in turn entry, point the front of the car towards the inside and use that initial positioning of the car to power trough a corner in one clean motion consistently? (instead of having to initiate oversteer two, sometimes three times in order to not understeer into a tree)

In D4 you were able to do the first half of the gif below. But at the end of this gif the rear would grip more than it should, causing only the front to slide and point the entire car towards the outside. Sometimes that would happen in real life depending on braking input and weight shifting around, but it felt like I didn't get the right result when using the ScanFlick or using the handbrake at all in D4.

Image result for rally
I also shared that pain in DR, I shall give it a go and see what its like but I'm pretty sure it is much more like this now. It finished its arc rather than just gaining that grip out of nowhere. I will try and give it a go this evening unless someone else wants to try it.
Please do! 
Also are you allowed to show any footage, or lifted embargo only included VW/New Zealand footage from press meeting?
Can we say the locations we tested?

Has anyone been able to figure out if that New Zealand stage is a real one?
I've tried finding videos but most Waikato rally stages appear to be on tarmac. We need a local to go recce!

Also wondering what the in game Solberg would be. Appeared to me during the hype train that he/his story would be somehow a big feature as opposed to just technical support .but so far no clues.
I've had a bit of an investigation at work and this stage is definitely crafted based on a real stage. It's 100% a reverse of the Whaanga Stage - SS2 + 6 of 2012 Rally New Zealand. https://www.rally-maps.com/Rally-New-Zealand-2012

I'm putting together some comparison content while I can to try and figure out exactly where it begins and ends. 

tbtstt said:
I'd just like to say that I have an intense dislike of all you PC players who get to sample the game early. 

I shall be crying into my PS4 controller later. 
Actually, at first when we all got contacted and got together one of my first thoughts was "Why isn't Tbsstststsst here? Oh right, silly console man." Still a little dissapointed you couldn't partake. ;)
ShodanCat said:
I'm not going to get into an argument over whether it's correct since a) I haven't tried it myself and b) it could change significantly before February 2019. I'm just giving my opinion on what I think it looks like so far. You'll have to forgive me for being a bit skeptical after Dirt 4.
And as the people who've played and tested it, it's miles better. FWD cars are really pretty damn grippy, especially when you lighten the hell out of them. Think they feel pretty good.
As a side note, I've got 8 hours into D4 before I uninstalled it... sorry DiRT team. :P
Do the guys who've tried the game know if there'll be AI retirements visible on stage?
I don't think we had that enabled (If it's present) in our builds, which were super early and we were told to focus pretty much solely on physics and ignore all other bugs. XD
Sorry for not clarifying at all.
gfRally said:
Well it was a feature in dirt 4 so I would guess it will make its way over into dirt rally 2 as well. In dirt 4 it always seemed to be breakdowns, I’d like to see something like a car in a ditch or off the road, that would be cool
Ken Block isn’t in this game :wink:

It's times like these that I wish there was a button for a passive, disheartened sigh....
Has anyone been able to figure out if that New Zealand stage is a real one?
I've tried finding videos but most Waikato rally stages appear to be on tarmac. We need a local to go recce!

Also wondering what the in game Solberg would be. Appeared to me during the hype train that he/his story would be somehow a big feature as opposed to just technical support .but so far no clues.
You mean you haven't just traced out the route based on the pacenotes and scrounged around Google Maps?
I thought this was the Gossip thread, not pre-school!
SamRWD said:
Aaa1981 said:
Myself think the best game is dirt rally , even hardcore etc, but the physics there top . There was a hope that will continue and judging by the video this is the same slag and dirt 4 ! On YouTube posted the gameplay of the rally cross with a view from 3 persons, and then the fears were confirmed . Look at the wretched work of the suspension!!! Machine as wood , especially when landing , do not have that smoothness that was . It looks like squalor and crafts like wrc. Disappointed to say the least ...

The entire "gravity" setting in Dirt Rally was way off. Granted it gave us some really nice oversteering capability, but on bumpy rally and rallycross roads, if you keep "going light" and losing control of the car over every small bump, its very difficult to enjoy the game.

So even though Dirt 4 was a mixed bag, I really couldn't go back the other worldly gravity of Dirt Rally. Dirt Rally had a LOT to improve in the physics, and I think most of it is being addressed in the footage we are seeing so far of 2.0 
Snip

I see you got unbanned. ;)

SamRWD said:
JZStudios said:                  

WOW, you don't like Phil Mills? :)
EDIT: BTW I would love to get an option to get Phil's voice even more disorted!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpDSPhECTSA
I don't mind him in that video, but in the gameplay he sounds more like he's trying to narrate a documentary like Attenborough. XD Every line just kind of has the same plosive in the middle so the sounds all have a bell curve. So, it's like hes saying "into FIVE left, into FOUR right... four HUNdred." Which he's not doing in that onboard, and which Paul also didn't do.
It's just a weird thing. Guess maybe he's just not a very good voice actor and he's trying too hard or something? XD He's certainly clear and easy to understand, and I guess he's loud enough unlike Mr. Mumbles in DR.
Sorry Paul. ;)

Edit, since I'm nitpicking anyways, another thing he does inconsistently is have harsh plosives in the letter T at the end of LefTUH and RighTUH. But he doesn't do it every time. Sometimes it's LefTuh and RighTuh, and sometimes it's almost silent. It's just one of those things where I'm super weird and have oddly sensitive ears to high frequencies and I hate listening to them. Like I was listening to one of a friends songs he made and long story short we discovered that I hate drum cymbals because they just sound really harsh and hurt my ears.
Hooray for Autism!... probably...

JZStudios said:
tbtstt said:
I'd just like to say that I have an intense dislike of all you PC players who get to sample the game early. 

Still a little dissapointed you couldn't partake. ;)
Not half as disappointed as I am! 

tbtstt said:
JZStudios said:
tbtstt said:

Still a little dissapointed you couldn't partake. ;)
Not half as disappointed as I am! 
Well of course not, not even close. ;)
If it makes you feel any better the super bloom/lens flare you can see in the game videos has prevented me from really being able to play extensively. XD It might be kind of broken and blinds me for half the track. Definitely needs to be fixed before launch.

If we get crashed/broken down cars again can we not have them present in the shakedowns like D4? Always annoyed me that they were there pre-crashed before they'd retired from the stage.

So are you guys who were contacted to provide feedback still actively participating in the process, or was it a one-and-done kind of deal? Also, what was the criteria for being selected? I sure would've liked a chance to offer feedback as well.
Honestly I feel like Early Access should be used again, but I suppose that ship has sailed already.

So if there is deformation in the terrain, will have rally with staggered starts like Dirt2/3? I would like to see cars pass when you drive slow with damage...traffic is part of the rally.

So if there is deformation in the terrain, will have rally with staggered starts like Dirt2/3? I would like to see cars pass when you drive slow with damage...traffic is part of the rally.

I think some of us are getting our hopes up a bit as to just how the surface "deformation" really works. According to what we've seen and read from people who played it at the little event last weekend, the system selects from 3 possible states. So I'm assuming they hand-crafted some changes which are tied to each of the 3 states, and it selects from those based on the running order.

What I'm saying is I don't think it's some amazing real-time surface deformation technology, which is a lot to expect - but rather a pre-designed set of changes to each stage.

edit: And apologies, I know you weren't specifically talking about the tech behind the degradation/surface condition, I just thought I'd mention it. I doubt they were have traffic running the stages in general because it would require an entire AI system.

No, the info so far says it's not real time.

However, i only saw one place mention 3 states, and the producer didn't seem to say that to be the case.

However, i only saw one place mention 3 states, and the producer didn't seem to say that to be the case.
In some of the videos that came out today, you can see a little icon with 3 states that indicates stage/surface condition. I suppose the icon might be a general rough indicator, while the actual stage can have a variable degree - but like I said, that is a pretty advanced bit of tech that is a lot to expect.

this interview with Ross Gowling describes the 3 states based on running order (from 3:15)

1-5 - sweeping
6-10 - just right 
11+ - rutted mess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLHeJsUNB3A

In GameRiot's video on Youtube, you can see the road deformation icon, right in the beginning of the stage.

There seems to be 3 levels of deformation.

Although a bit basic, its still a never before seen gameplay feature in a rally game, to my knowledge. Pretty cool.

I can see how that could be interpreted as 3 stages - however, that's not what he's saying, and notice the last thing he says is:

"...and then from 10th all the way down to kind of a 150th, you'll notice that the track will start to rut, material will start to be moved to the outside of the racing line and the track camber adjusts slightly based on the build up of that material, so where ever you are in the competition running order, you'll find a slightly different challenge.

This all suggests it's progressive - his description of the "3 states" was for where the best, worst and how affected the stage would be.

ShodanCat said:

In some of the videos that came out today, you can see a little icon with 3 states that indicates stage/surface condition. I suppose the icon might be a general rough indicator, while the actual stage can have a variable degree - but like I said, that is a pretty advanced bit of tech that is a lot to expect.
Got a screenshot of these?  If it was realtime deformation, i'd agree, but as it's "precomputed" then i don't see how they wouldn't just have the adjusted figures for the stage build - we know yourstage was quick at this, so they can do that kind of thing.

That just came across as marketing fluff making it sound a bit more advanced than it is. Don't get me wrong, as ShoSebastian said above, it's still a cool and brand-new feature to the world of rally sims.

edit: And I realize none of us knows exactly how the system works. Your hypothesis is as good as mine. :smile:

ShodanCat said:

Got a screenshot of these?  If it was realtime deformation, i'd agree, but as it's "precomputed" then i don't see how they wouldn't just have the adjusted figures for the stage build - we know yourstage was quick at this, so they can do that kind of thing.